Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandy Cat
Mar 21, 2008
nevermind.

Dandy Cat fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Liebfraumilch posted:

I'm having a hell of a time trying to find it in Word 2007 but that's called widows and orphans and I am still looking for something definite. Does the little lightning bolt formatting thing pop up when it divides there? If so, that is usually your shortcut to correcting formatting sorcery that Word does without your blessing.

Edit: Ah, glad to have helped somehow. I am old enough to have learned about archaic formatting terms in keyboarding class in ninth grade, and old-fashioned enough to still put two spaces after a period. :)

Wait, is it a formatting trend that people don't put two spaces after a period or is it because people are lazy? 2 spaces til I die :wotwot:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

greazeball posted:

Wait, is it a formatting trend that people don't put two spaces after a period or is it because people are lazy? 2 spaces til I die :wotwot:

Trend? I don't think anyone at all still does that on word processing software, it went out of style along with physical typewriters and no one's recommended doing it since the late 90s at best.

Web browsers will even automatically condense a double space into a single space unless you take measures otherwise.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

greazeball posted:

It is "improper" to do so since proportional fonts became a thing. People still do it, and it isn't really a huge deal unless you're a typography/layout sperg (like me). The reasoning is that you don't need the double-space since you are no longer using a typewriter/Apple IIe. Plenty of people still do it, though. I wouldn't call it a trend, and it's probably not a big deal, but I do one space because I feel that is most proper.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Really? Every typography class I have ever taken (all taught by old dudes) has had the 2 space rule.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

The two space thing made sense with monospaced type, like in typewriters, daisy chain printers &c. But with modern printers and modern typefaces (e.g. Times &c.) one space is fine, it'll have enough space to distinguish between sentences.

It's largely unnecessary in today's printing, but perseveres from typing classes for those born before [I guess] sometime in the mid '90's. To be honest, only people willing to sperg out about typography care, so you can mostly do whatever. There was a book in the mid-90's that explains why, but I forget the name. It was something about desktop publishing, though.

But yeah, by and large it doesn't matter to most people, and I guess it's just a personal preference thing. I use one space because of habit, mostly.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I'm finding it more than slightly incongruous that the guy explaining that two spaces after a period is outdated is also using "&c."

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

tarepanda posted:

I'm finding it more than slightly incongruous that the guy explaining that two spaces after a period is outdated is also using "&c."

I just like &c. It's super fun to write out by hand. Alternatively, it isn't typographically obsolete.

Future Wax
Feb 17, 2011

There is no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase!
Is there a word for someone who is an advocate for employee rights? I looked up ombudsman but it didn't seem to fit that description exactly. Anyone know any term(s) for this?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
In a union that would probably be a (shop) steward, but that's about all the help I could offer and it's not exactly what you're describing either.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

If your modem is solid, and all your devices are intermittently getting crapped on it's your router taking intermittent craps. Is it overheating? Do you live in a apt/neighborhood where you see a lot of other people's networks? You can try inSSIDer to see if your signal is getting stomped on by your neighbors routers and then see if there's a frequency you can switch to that's cleaner.

Thanks this was useful. its probably due to overheating, so its probably the router. Looks like there are 2 other wi-fis sharing a 2.4 ghz frequency, but I'm at a far higher amplitude, so I guess I'm not being stomped.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Zenostein posted:

The two space thing made sense with monospaced type, like in typewriters, daisy chain printers &c. But with modern printers and modern typefaces (e.g. Times &c.) one space is fine, it'll have enough space to distinguish between sentences.

It's largely unnecessary in today's printing, but perseveres from typing classes for those born before [I guess] sometime in the mid '90's. To be honest, only people willing to sperg out about typography care, so you can mostly do whatever. There was a book in the mid-90's that explains why, but I forget the name. It was something about desktop publishing, though.

But yeah, by and large it doesn't matter to most people, and I guess it's just a personal preference thing. I use one space because of habit, mostly.

To expand on this a small bit, the two-space rule only really applied with a monospace font, where all of the characters are the same width, and it was visually difficult to separate sentences. Any modern font is going to include some form of kerning that will attempt to use context to place a visually-pleasing amount of space between adjacent characters.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

What exactly is an Ad Hominem attack? Wiki is just saying an appeal to one's prejudices but I feel that is wrong?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Fat_Cow posted:

What exactly is an Ad Hominem attack? Wiki is just saying an appeal to one's prejudices but I feel that is wrong?

"against the man", rather than against the argument; i.e. demolishing someone not because of what they say, but because you don't like them as a person.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Check out political arguments in general for examples.

The problem is that the line can sometimes get blurred when you're attacking something about the person that directly relates to a fact that they're trying to put out there.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Underflow posted:

"against the man", rather than against the argument; i.e. demolishing someone not because of what they say, but because you don't like them as a person.

Alright thanks!

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
How does one decipher those numbers in the front page of books, to tell if a book is a first edition or not? Like, there's the copyright whatever year for the author, than under aways there'll be some numbers like 9 8 7 6 5 etc. What do they mean?

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

tarepanda posted:

My sister is an artist but not super technical. She wants to make a nice, professional-looking art site by herself and uses Indexhibit right now, because that's apparently what everyone at MICA uses. I think it's a buggy piece of poo poo filled with security holes.

What are some other decent frameworks for an artist who's not very technical?

Cargo Collective is the best and easiest. Free service will get you hosting with them (cargocollective.com/yourname) and your choice of one of their themes; paid sub lets you use custom domains and all sorts of fun bits. Sign up via their 'Contact' form.

Squarespace is another, similar product.

I don't use either, but I prefer the way Cargo looks and feels.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

when worlds collide posted:

How does one decipher those numbers in the front page of books, to tell if a book is a first edition or not? Like, there's the copyright whatever year for the author, than under aways there'll be some numbers like 9 8 7 6 5 etc. What do they mean?

I believe I read once that whatever number is last is the edition it is. Not totally sure if that's true, but it's my best guess. :shobon:

Low Carb Bread
Sep 6, 2007

nvm

Low Carb Bread fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 4, 2012

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Prototypical posted:

I believe I read once that whatever number is last is the edition it is. Not totally sure if that's true, but it's my best guess. :shobon:

The first print run starts with all the numbers. Every time they print it again, they delete a number (since it is easy to delete a number on the press).

so the first time they print it, you will see: 3 2 1
second time: 3 2

etc

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

greazeball posted:

I'm in my 20s and schools always required it to be 1 space after the period. There's also the fact that much of the time, especially in an older web browser, multiple spaces after a period will be rendered the same as a single space.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Install Gentoo posted:

I'm in my 20s and schools always required it to be 1 space after the period. There's also the fact that much of the time, especially in an older web browser, multiple spaces after a period will be rendered the same as a single space.
Every browser will collapse all whitespace to a single space, unless you use the   HTML entity. I'm also in my 20s and was taught to use two spaces. I still do it out of habit, even in this post, but you'll never know unless you look at the source.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

spog posted:

The first print run starts with all the numbers. Every time they print it again, they delete a number (since it is easy to delete a number on the press).

so the first time they print it, you will see: 3 2 1
second time: 3 2

etc

No poo poo, I always wondered what those numbers were for. Is there a name for them?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What happens in that example if it gets printed a fourth time?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

stubblyhead posted:

No poo poo, I always wondered what those numbers were for. Is there a name for them?

Actually I was a little ambiguous: they aren't the edition number, they are the 'impression' number - i.e. the number of the print run of the exact same text

So, you could have 5 different print runs of exactly the same text and the 'impression number' would be changed each time, but the 'edition' would stay the same.

If you changed any of the text, then you would be making a new edition and so the impression number would be reset back to '1'

haveblue posted:

What happens in that example if it gets printed a fourth time?

In that case, they would then add in an extra set of numbers. It's still pretty easy to do: to remove a number, you can just scratch it off the film with a scalpel. To add in a line of text, you would print out an extra strip of film and tape it into place.

And these days, even that is getting obsolete: a lot of places skip the film stage altogether and go straight to plate, so any change is just done on the computer*

Old method was to design the book on a computer, print out a big piece of film and use that to burn a printing plate. You chuck the plates away after a print run and keep the film for resuse.

Newer method is to use a big laser printer that prints the plates directly from the computer.

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
What cool music festivals are there in the U.S. this summer? I may be going and would love to attend one. Interested in any genre; doesn't matter where in the U.S.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Prototypical posted:

That was a decent guess!

spog posted:

Actually I was a little ambiguous: they aren't the edition number, they are the 'impression' number - i.e. the number of the print run of the exact same text

So, you could have 5 different print runs of exactly the same text and the 'impression number' would be changed each time, but the 'edition' would stay the same.

If you changed any of the text, then you would be making a new edition and so the impression number would be reset back to '1'

In that case, they would then add in an extra set of numbers. It's still pretty easy to do: to remove a number, you can just scratch it off the film with a scalpel. To add in a line of text, you would print out an extra strip of film and tape it into place.

And these days, even that is getting obsolete: a lot of places skip the film stage altogether and go straight to plate, so any change is just done on the computer*

Old method was to design the book on a computer, print out a big piece of film and use that to burn a printing plate. You chuck the plates away after a print run and keep the film for resuse.

Newer method is to use a big laser printer that prints the plates directly from the computer.

That is very interesting. Thank you! Is that a reliable way of knowing whether you've got a first edition, then? It sounds like you'd want first edition, first impression for the collectable copies.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Redkist posted:

What cool music festivals are there in the U.S. this summer? I may be going and would love to attend one. Interested in any genre; doesn't matter where in the U.S.

Bonnaroo is probably the biggest one right now, that's in Tennessee a little over a month from now. There are apparently still some tickets available, which I have to say surprises me a little. The Coachella Music and Arts Festival in Southern California is another big one, but that actually just happened in the last couple weeks.

VVV
The Gorge is one of the most beautiful outdoor venues I've ever been to. The Sasquatch Music Festival is there every year; it's the last weekend of May. It appears to be sold out though. There's another thing there in August called the Watershed Festival that appears to be country music, and Dave Matthews Band is doing a three-night run there from Aug. 31-Sept. 2.

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 30, 2012

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Redkist posted:

There is this venue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gorge_Amphitheatre

I don't know of any specific stuff going on there this summer, but you can probably find what's up with a little google time.

There's always something music related going on in the states just about any given weekend, it's only a matter of digging for what you like.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Redkist posted:

Mayhem. 12 hours of metal. :rock:

(The openers this year suck though)

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Low Carb Bread posted:

Wasn't sure where to post this because there isn't exactly a furniture subforum/megathread that I know of...

I dont have an answer for you, but you can try Gooncave & Gardens: Moving & Apartment Living, Hunting, & Furnishing here in A/T

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Redkist posted:

Lollapalooza still has one day passes for sale. It's a great time because you can see bands all day and then go out in downtown Chicago at night. The lineup this year is pretty good and you don't have to camp out like most people do for Bonaroo.

There's also Electric Forest if you're more into that type of music. However, I've heard that it can get VERY filthy, so I personally would skip it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Redkist posted:

Pitchfork Music Festival in Chicago is looking really good this year. Much cheaper than lollapalooza, but a really hipster crowd with tons of "indie" bands. Also they have soy ice cream which is incredible, along with a market with records, posters, etc.

It's near a pretty shady part of town, but the grounds are right off the elevated train you've probably heard of in Chicago. Not far from a pretty good bar scene in wicker park, either.

Low Carb Bread
Sep 6, 2007

2508084 posted:

I dont have an answer for you, but you can try Gooncave & Gardens: Moving & Apartment Living, Hunting, & Furnishing here in A/T

Thanks, will do

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Every so often, I'll use the restroom and come out still feeling like I have to pee, even though I don't. Maybe once every few weeks or so? I just have to ignore it until it goes away, but it's hard to get your mind off of.

What the heck IS that? There must be a term for it. And is there any way to relieve it any quicker?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Cross post from the general photography thread but I want to know what is the preferred photo management software at the moment. I don't really do much editing so those capabilities aren't very important, also being cheap would be good.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Red_Fred posted:

Cross post from the general photography thread but I want to know what is the preferred photo management software at the moment. I don't really do much editing so those capabilities aren't very important, also being cheap would be good.

What OS/quality? If you just want to save pictures and tag them, something like Picasa might be fine.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

tarepanda posted:

What OS/quality? If you just want to save pictures and tag them, something like Picasa might be fine.

I use Windows 7 and my photos are taken and stored in RAW format. I have been using Picasa but find that it is pretty low on features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Benjamin Black posted:

Every so often, I'll use the restroom and come out still feeling like I have to pee, even though I don't. Maybe once every few weeks or so? I just have to ignore it until it goes away, but it's hard to get your mind off of.

What the heck IS that? There must be a term for it. And is there any way to relieve it any quicker?
Urinary tract infection. Bladder infection. Interstitial cystitis. Prostate cancer. Or nothing.

See a urologist to be sure.