Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
are you seriously going to post every single little hiccup of working at a large organization as if it's the Worst Thing?

ugh, i had to book an internal shuttle flight and the website took a lil while to load i mean, this is just soooooooo terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

kwinkles posted:

this is a problem?

not at all - it was pretty impressive to me

it wasnt meant in disparagement

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

are you seriously going to post every single little hiccup of working at a large organization as if it's the Worst Thing?

ugh, i had to book an internal shuttle flight and the website took a lil while to load i mean, this is just soooooooo terrible

why would anyone post about good things when they're too busy enjoying them

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

JawnV6 posted:

was the site javascript i found the problem :siren:

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

there's a guy in my team who prefers to use eclipse – to edit his perl code – he doesn't even know java :psyberger:

this is the worst

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
guys one time i walked into the break room and the coffee carafe was empty and then i emptied the grounds and put new ones in but pissed all over them in and quickly slid it into the machine and hit start - 10 minutes later i walked in and it was empty again

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
i use emacs to edit my perl code and it has a billion things and triple flymake and it takes forever to open or do anything

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
peemacs

use vim like a man

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
i use nvi because my root $path is just /bin:/sbin but other than that i use emacs

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i also make terrible decisions in life not

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

MononcQc posted:

If you get to work on fun stuff relevant to your studies, then it rules.

i hope this turns out to be the case :)

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

rotor posted:

people got too many fuckin degrees imho
if you don't have a degree you're a worthless sack of crap imb (in my book)

i loved every second of my higher education except for the total bullshit 400 level mccarthy witch hunt english seminars but cs education is seriously directionless and schizophrenic and if you spent any time studying it on your own 50% or more is serious "well duh" territory

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

if i see a guy with no degree and a guy with two bachelor degrees, its a safe bet the guy with no degrees is the smarter of the two.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
he could just be a dumb guy what never got a degree though. Although anyone who gets 2 bachelor's is pretty dumb, why would you do that.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

except for the total bullshit 400 level mccarthy witch hunt english seminars
wait what

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

rotor posted:

if i see a guy with no degree and a guy with two bachelor degrees, its a safe bet the guy with no degrees is the smarter of the two.
what does smarter mean exactly

id say it's a safe bet mr. two degrees has a broader base of knowledge but that may end up being a positive or a negative thing depending on what you want him for

anyway I'm just a big dumb liberal snob since I think everyone should have a classical education not to further their job prospects but simply to enrich their lives

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

what does smarter mean exactly

smart enough not to waste a bunch of time and money on a second bachelors degree.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

anyway I'm just a big dumb liberal snob since I think everyone should have a classical education not to further their job prospects but simply to enrich their lives

how well do you speak latin and greek? for instance how would you translate the following:

quote:

Supplices te rogamus, omnipotens Deus, iube haec perferri per manus sancti Angeli tui in sublime altare tuum, in conspectu divinae maiestatis tuae; ut quotquot ex hac altaris participatione sacrosanctum Filii tui Corpus et Sanguinem sumpserimus, omni benedictione caelesti et gratia repleamur.

quote:

Musa, mihi causas memora, quo numine laeso,
quidve dolens, regina deum tot volvere casus
insignem pietate virum, tot adire labores
impulerit. Tantaene animis caelestibus irae?

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
my dad has a bs in computers from 1979 and hes a research fellow doing chemistry, lol

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

rotor posted:

smart enough not to waste a bunch of time and money on a second bachelors degree.

but you can sometimes get those at the same time or apply like 80% of the credits from one of them to another, seems like that just increases your qualifications and you spend maybe an extra year getting it.

i guess for someone who goes back for one like a decade later yeah maybe but it seems like that's probably someone who wasted time and money on their first bachelors degree when they were young dumb and full of cum, then wised up and did something they like more or that is more useful in the second one

i mean, right?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

CaptainMeatpants posted:

going to school for computers was literally, sincerely, unambiguously the worst decision of my life

rotor posted:

people got too many fuckin degrees imho

MononcQc posted:

Don't get me wrong, I love learning poo poo and it rules. It's just that it seems a crapload of people come out with a CS degree and end up being code janitors and never need more math or algorithms than using cross-multiplication and stdlib algorithms, then go 'welp' at their education because 90% of the work is making sure business rules are implemented right, then 5% is politics and 4% is arguing about indentation. The remaining 1% is filling your time sheet.

If you get to work on fun stuff relevant to your studies, then it rules.

man, why do i even do anything

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Anal Tributary posted:

your going to school to learn how to use ruby on rails, lol

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Otto Skorzeny posted:

how well do you speak latin and greek? for instance how would you translate the following:
it's been hmmmm ten years I think since I took Latin????? funnest class ever by a mile no kidding

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

it's been hmmmm ten years I think since I took Latin????? funnest class ever by a mile no kidding

i'm trying to learn it myself although mostly for different reasons. it's kind of a mindfuck how loosey-goosey the word order is and how all the crazy declensions make up for it. vocab is way easier than grammar on the whole

anyways, glad to learn that when you said 'classical education' you actually meant it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

kwinkles posted:

i guess for someone who goes back for one like a decade later yeah maybe but it seems like that's probably someone who wasted time and money on their first bachelors degree when they were young dumb and full of cum, then wised up and did something they like more or that is more useful in the second one

i mean, right?

getting a second bachelors degree is a waste of time and money, typically done when you can afford it least.

if you're talking about a double major keeping you in school another semester, well ok fine.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

man, classics.

I'm glad someone studies them, but they're a rich mans vanity, something to study in between visits to the country club while dad preens you to take over the family business.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Otto Skorzeny posted:

i'm trying to learn it myself although mostly for different reasons. it's kind of a mindfuck how loosey-goosey the word order is and how all the crazy declensions make up for it. vocab is way easier than grammar on the whole

anyways, glad to learn that when you said 'classical education' you actually meant it
and yet I remember practically no latin vocab but i consider the grammar lessons to have been invaluable

if you want to really get english grammar you need a firm grasp of both latin and chomsky imho

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

rotor posted:

getting a second bachelors degree is a waste of time and money, typically done when you can afford it least.

I sometimes want to to go back to school to just read the classics and learn another language and yell at 18-22 year olds for not "knowing what the real world is like" does anyone else get that itch

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

sounds like someone needs to get a new book

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

kwinkles posted:

I sometimes want to to go back to school to just read the classics and learn another language and yell at 18-22 year olds for not "knowing what the real world is like" does anyone else get that itch

this, along with sittin in the workshop makin stuff out of wood & metal while i'm drunk, is my retirement plan.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

but i'm drat sure not gonna jump through whatever bullshit hoops they want you to jump through for another dumbass degree

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Anal Tributary posted:

-- me. age 17, in response to that exact same thing

get teh CS degree.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

if you want to really get english grammar you need a firm grasp of both latin and chomsky imho

i think learning latin grammar is a slightly worse guide for learning english grammar than most other foreign languages; you get the normal foreign-language experience of considering grammar in a rigorous way that you almost certainly never did in english class, but there is a unique downside that many teachers of latin grammar have the preposterous notion in their heads that english grammar is a descendant thereof or closely related thereto, leading to the propagation of falsehoods eg. "you shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition"

german and dutch grammar are good things to learn and have some bearing on english grammar, being actually related (and thus having more cases/moods/whatever in common), although of course english transitioned from the typical germanic V2 word order to SVO during the late middle english period (except for interrogatives, which still wink at the old V2 order)

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

sounds like someone needs to get a new book
sounds like someone couldn't hack it at state college!

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
if youre willing to move 45k is almost offensively low even if youre a lovely programmer.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
seriously thats bordering on entry-level cj work

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011

sounds like someone couldn't hack it at state college!

the idea of education as bettering yourself is just subtle classism, hth

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
man oh man am i glad i'm not a programmer

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

nightwheat stalker posted:

-- me. age 17, in response to that exact same thing

get teh CS degree.

no don't

kill yourself & loved ones instead, you just end up praying for death anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
pls give income as a factor of (annual pretax income / monthly rent of cheapest apartment within 30 mins where you won't get shot)
i bet for jello its like 200 lol