Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Pretty bizarre seeing as you could get a new ATV2 for the same price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

sharktamer posted:

Pretty bizarre seeing as you could get a new ATV2 for the same price.
I have some cool projects that an rpi would work great for and an atv2 would suck for.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

They're not really comparable except for a fairly narrow overlap of use scenarios.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

DNova posted:

They're not really comparable except for a fairly narrow overlap of use scenarios.

And theoretical overlap at that, between jailbreaking issues and the fact that RaspBMC hasn't been released yet.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
How well do you suppose the Pi would handle SDLMAME? I was thinking it'd be cool to build a miniature arcade cabinet and stick one in, kind of like Coleco's tabletop arcade games from the early 1980's.

Plus I was reading a thread in another forum about the prospect of turning one into a CNC controller, and someone mentioned that there was some problem with doing true real-time programming on an ARM-based system. Does anyone know anything about that? Would it help if the operating system were stripped down to whatever was strictly necessary for running just the CNC software?

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Cockmaster posted:

How well do you suppose the Pi would handle SDLMAME? I was thinking it'd be cool to build a miniature arcade cabinet and stick one in, kind of like Coleco's tabletop arcade games from the early 1980's.

Plus I was reading a thread in another forum about the prospect of turning one into a CNC controller, and someone mentioned that there was some problem with doing true real-time programming on an ARM-based system. Does anyone know anything about that? Would it help if the operating system were stripped down to whatever was strictly necessary for running just the CNC software?

The problem isn't that an ARM can't do real time computing, it can. The problem is that most OS aren't designed with real time computing in mind. Few modern OS are designed around having hard and exact timings of output, they tend to optimize for speed and throughput instead. This include most Linux distributions, like those that the Pi comes with.

Your idea of having the board run just CNC software (without a host os. no matter how stripped down, linux is not hard real time) is one solution. Dedicated ARM boards have been developed for interpreting CNC g-code (here's one for reading g-code for a 3d printer).

But wait, you say, you can do linux hosted CNC machines with programs like EMC2. You'd be right. This is because EMC2 has runs under a variant of linux that has real time computing extensions. (It does this in a quite clever way, the entirety of linux is setup as a fully preemptive process.)

Of course, there is no version for raspberry pi yet.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

Cockmaster posted:

This depends on what you mean by "true real-time". Linux in general is kinda lousy for real-time applications unless you use a hard real-time setup, like RTLinux. I think most applications that actually require a real-time OS are going to use VxWorks or something FPGA based. VxWorks runs just fine on ARM, so its not that you can't do real-time, but more if its really necessary. It entirely depends on the application if it matters, and for many things, Linux on ARM is good enough.

In your case, you don't really need anything real-time. For MAME in general, I'm sure it will work just fine, but I'm not sure how many games will actually be playable. A little Googling gave me this: http://wiki.maemo.org/Sdlmame

That's a list of games working on the N900, an older phone that runs Linux on ARM, but with a more powerful CPU than the Pi.

Not applicable here, but at work when we want the best of both Linux and hard real-time, we use FPGA's with embedded PPC or ARM cores. Then you can run normal Linux for the non real-time stuff and still have the FPGA for the hard real-time.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Agree with the others. There's a reason most CNC kit is written in 'bare metal' ASM/ANSI C that barely uses the OS for anything other than file handling. It's not a matter of can the pi do it, but rather that each CNC software is pretty specific and has their own custom drivers for per millisecond polling etc. that don't play well with standard linux (or Windows, or OSX) distros. Not impossible, but not out of the box easy either.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
To be frank, if you're looking for anything reasonably accurate, you're probably better off buying a refurbished Galil or Delta Tau system off Ebay. Once you factor in the cost of the amplifier, a UMAC with a 4 axis controller and quad amp will satisfy almost every home CNC setup, unless you somehow have a 5 axis in your home. I'm all for learning and making things work, but there's a good reason that CNC stuff is written at a really low level, and I really don't see the point of hacking and bashing a kludged setup when you can buy a refurb UMAC and learn motion PLCs and g-code on the same setup that thousands of machines are running on.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Bit of derail here, but is there an Arduino thread on the forums? I fancy screwing about with flashing LEDS, etc?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

spog posted:

Bit of derail here, but is there an Arduino thread on the forums? I fancy screwing about with flashing LEDS, etc?

Looks like DIY and Hobbies has an electronics megathread.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Factory Factory posted:

Looks like DIY and Hobbies has an electronics megathread.

I took at look at the last 5 pages: they do mention Arduinos, but only in passing.

I just want to screw about with this for fun, I'm not sure which version to get and whether to buy a big starter kit, or what.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

spog posted:

I took at look at the last 5 pages: they do mention Arduinos, but only in passing.

I just want to screw about with this for fun, I'm not sure which version to get and whether to buy a big starter kit, or what.

A lot of us in that thread dislike Arduinos, but we'll still help you out, come post about what you're up to!

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Tim Thomas posted:

To be frank, if you're looking for anything reasonably accurate, you're probably better off buying a refurbished Galil or Delta Tau system off Ebay. Once you factor in the cost of the amplifier, a UMAC with a 4 axis controller and quad amp will satisfy almost every home CNC setup, unless you somehow have a 5 axis in your home. I'm all for learning and making things work, but there's a good reason that CNC stuff is written at a really low level, and I really don't see the point of hacking and bashing a kludged setup when you can buy a refurb UMAC and learn motion PLCs and g-code on the same setup that thousands of machines are running on.
I can understand where you're coming from, and while you have points on how to do a professional style system on the cheap, you also miss something. This isn't just idle speculation on how it may be possible to hack something together, this is something that's been done before and done well.

Most home CNC stuff isn't a based on a kludged together setup of an amplifier and a UMAC and a PC. It's done with a dedicated motor driver board plugged into a parallel port on an old pc running a gcode interpreter. (TurboCNC, Mach3, EMC2, KCAM, etc) It's quite well tested and works very well. Typically the limiting factor is not the software, but the fact that a home cnc setup doesn't have the rigidity of a professional machine. In addition, if you already know how to use a computer well, it's easy.

I guess the fundamental question is that I don't really know what you mean by "anything reasonably accurate." What I can say is that this kind of computer and driver board are often in the area of .01mm. Depending on your application this can be plenty accurate to no where near accurate. I'd say for most hobbyist class engineering its more than enough.

One problem with using the Raspberry Pi in this kind of setup is that it doesn't have a parallel port. Instead you could use its GPIO to communicate with the driver board. Another problem is that there's no RTLinux or RTAI port for the Pi. The boards simply hasn't been in the hands of the people who would make such a port long enough.

spog posted:

There's also the Embedded programming nanothread.

You'd think a thread for Small Microcontroller Projects would be a good idea, but the last one fell into the archives. The electronics megathread is your best bet. Much of the anti-arduino stuff in it is terminology based. The arduino isn't a microcontroller, it's a platform. :eng101: There are other (small) things, but that word choice gets things off on the wrong foot.

To answer your question though, do you have the majority of the following:
a breadboard
potentiometers
resistors
leds
photocell

If you have these things, a starter kit doesn't really give you much in the way of advantages, but if you don't, it's really good. If what your missing though is the breadboard just buy a starter kit, it's not a bad deal and you do want a breadboard.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

movax posted:

A lot of us in that thread dislike Arduinos, but we'll still help you out, come post about what you're up to!

Ta, I may very well venture in there.

Aurium posted:

There's also the Embedded programming nanothread.

You'd think a thread for Small Microcontroller Projects would be a good idea, but the last one fell into the archives. The electronics megathread is your best bet. Much of the anti-arduino stuff in it is terminology based. The arduino isn't a microcontroller, it's a platform. :eng101: There are other (small) things, but that word choice gets things off on the wrong foot.

To answer your question though, do you have the majority of the following:

If you have these things, a starter kit doesn't really give you much in the way of advantages, but if you don't, it's really good. If what your missing though is the breadboard just buy a starter kit, it's not a bad deal and you do want a breadboard.

I don't think I have much stuff. Well, there's probably all kinds of bits and pieces scattered around the place and in the backs of drawers, but not in neat little boxes. I am fairly sure I don't have a breadboard.

http://www.earthshineelectronics.com/arduino-compatible-products/91-basic-arduino-uno-starter-kit.html has a big pile of LEDs for £35

If I buy this kit, will it have enough for me to start playing until I get more bits and pieces at a later date? My aim is really to learn the programming side of this, perhaps more than the electrical component parts.

EDIT: any reason why I cannot use a compatible version?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tosduino-UNO-R3-Board-100-Arduino-UNO-R3-Compatible-/320890153471 <£10
I have a USB cable and a breadboard+jumpers is probably <£5 - but what about the various resistors/LEDs/components? is there is a suitable starter kit for them alone?

EDIT2:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-SainSmart-Mega2560-Starter-Kit-with-Prototype-Shield-Arduino-ATMEL-ATMEGA8U2-/280854710340 £30 gets me a Mega clone plus an LCD screen plus jumpers plus a tiddly breadboard - an even better deal?

spog fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 17, 2012

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Aurium posted:

I can understand where you're coming from, and while you have points on how to do a professional style system on the cheap, you also miss something. This isn't just idle speculation on how it may be possible to hack something together, this is something that's been done before and done well.

Most home CNC stuff isn't a based on a kludged together setup of an amplifier and a UMAC and a PC. It's done with a dedicated motor driver board plugged into a parallel port on an old pc running a gcode interpreter. (TurboCNC, Mach3, EMC2, KCAM, etc) It's quite well tested and works very well. Typically the limiting factor is not the software, but the fact that a home cnc setup doesn't have the rigidity of a professional machine. In addition, if you already know how to use a computer well, it's easy.
I guess this is my point: with CNC, if you can use honest-to-god real hardware (a UMAC+Amp+PC isn't really kludgy, it's an integrated setup that runs a whole boatload of machine tools) at a minimal price delta from hacking and bashing, why wouldn't you go that route and gain real experience with something that translates to how things work in the real world? It's one thing if we're talking steppers and a small set of leadscrews or what have you, but what happens when you want to do something bigger?

Don't get me wrong, I built amp drives and PID controllers in college to learn theory, and I recognize the value in really knowing the hardware and theory end of how motion control works, but ultimately, I feel I would have been better off learning PMAC or Galil or what have you earlier instead of trying to reinvent the wheel myself. Part of this is also because I'm less interested in CNC and more interested in machine automation.

quote:

I guess the fundamental question is that I don't really know what you mean by "anything reasonably accurate." What I can say is that this kind of computer and driver board are often in the area of .01mm. Depending on your application this can be plenty accurate to no where near accurate. I'd say for most hobbyist class engineering its more than enough.
You're ultimately limited by how good your control loop, tuning, deadband, and encoder are, but there's a ton of really neat and absurdly inexpensive encoders that have come on the market that are beyond the capabilities of any hobbyist stuff I've seen. This is less CNC and more general automation, but the fact that I can buy a brand new nanometer encoder for about a thousand bucks all in means that I can build production-worthy metrology on the cheap. Not something a home hobbyist needs by any means, but it means that as an experimenter or a person investigating startup ideas, I have the latitude to try things I may not be able to with a homebrew setup.

In fairness, a lot of this comes from the fact that I get to use a lot of this in my line of work, and having to go from the automation tools I use at work to having to reinvent them would annoy me well beyond the point that I'd go do something else instead of play with motors.

Tim Thomas fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 18, 2012

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Tim Thomas posted:

I guess this is my point: with CNC, if you can use honest-to-god real hardware (a UMAC+Amp+PC isn't really kludgy, it's an integrated setup that runs a whole boatload of machine tools) at a minimal price delta from hacking and bashing, why wouldn't you go that route and gain real experience with something that translates to how things work in the real world? It's one thing if we're talking steppers and a small set of leadscrews or what have you, but what happens when you want to do something bigger?

It's not a matter of directly competing with professional-grade hardware, it's a matter of creating a simple, inexpensive solution for driving hobbyist-level CNC machines. For $25 you get a complete controller that could easily be built into a control box, and if you're running without an OS it'll be way less likely to crash in the middle of a program. It'd be especially nice for 3D printing and complex carving where you're often running for hours at a time.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Cockmaster posted:

It's not a matter of directly competing with professional-grade hardware, it's a matter of creating a simple, inexpensive solution for driving hobbyist-level CNC machines. For $25 you get a complete controller that could easily be built into a control box, and if you're running without an OS it'll be way less likely to crash in the middle of a program. It'd be especially nice for 3D printing and complex carving where you're often running for hours at a time.

Xenomai is another great RT framework for Linux. We regularly close 1MHz+ control loops using regular x86 hardware running Xenomai, talking to FPGAs over HT or PCIe. I don't think that kind of latency is needed for a CNC; having a RT framework and a system where you can completely kill off any type of power-management (no need to worry about states/ASPM/etc on the RPi) would be helpful.

I think on the RPi we'll just have to wait for someone (or DIY) apply Xenomai/similar patch to a stock kernel, strip it down and start benchmarking jitter/latency on various interfaces.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I don't know a lot about the various arm processor versions to say if it would be easily portable to raspi, but Smoothie firmware is a CNC controller firmware designed to run on ARM (Cortex M3) processors. As far as I know it is a standalone firmware that doesn't run on top of any OS like linux.

Besides porting or writing the controller software, the other main issue I think is whether or not there is enough GPIO pins exposed to handle 3 (or more) motor controllers, plus various other accessories(for ex. in 3d printing, hotend heater/thermistor, heated bed heater/thermistor, 4 axis X/Y/Z/extruder, limit stops, fan control).

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010
WALLS OF TEXT!

peepsalot posted:

Raspberry PI GPIO shortage.

Interestingly enough, at this point I've argued on both sides of this issue.

This is the main issue with using the Pi to control real stuff.

It also has a nice real solution. The Raspberry Pi conveniently exposes it's SPI and I2C busses, as well as a UART. Connect GPIO expander chip(s) to any of them and you'll have all the IO you'll ever need. Here's some people who've designed a stackable one, stack them to the heavens(8 of them) and get an additional 128 GPIO.

Unfortunately, there isn't enough gpio pins to just emulate a parallel port and just use the current CNC driver boards, so no matter what you want, you're talking about adding additional custom hardware.

spog posted:

Stuff about kits and clones.

Clones are fine, they just don't give money to the people who designed the arduino.

If you buy a setup without an assortment of individual parts just go to a local electronic parts store, and buy a few of the common things that you see in most kits. A photocell, a few momentary switches, some 10k potentiometers, leds, 10k resistors for pullup/pulldown (or use microcontroller's internal ones), leds, 150 ohm resistors for leds (a good standard size, not optimal for all colors, but safe and effective at 5v. learn to size them later) would get you started.

None of those jumped out at me as a bad deal.

Tim Thomas posted:

Sorry I misunderstood what you meant by kludgy, it was unclear by your wording which you were referring to. Partially because I'm not familiar with the industrial tool chain and you named off interfacing 4 devices in a row, and partially because a PC and a driver board isn't a kludge at this point.

As far as why wouldn't I use industrial tools? Basically three reasons jump to mind. One, from a quick ebaying, the low side of industrial equipment is over twice as expensive as the high side driver boards. Two, there really aren't physical benefits to using the cheap ones, while more expensive setups have direct benefits they cost yet more. Three, I'm not trying to get an industry job, what they do simply doesn't impact me. PLC experience won't matter for any job I'm going for. Even if I was, I'll still be learning things like design for manufacturing, CAM software, G-code, and so forth.

As far as your other question, how big is big? Hobbyist CNC machines are huge at 4x8 foot router table, and they only ever get that large if people want to do whole pieces of sheet goods. The next biggest thing is typically a bridgeport cnc conversion.

Tim Thomas posted:

Don't get me wrong, I built amp drives and PID controllers in college to learn theory, and I recognize the value in really knowing the hardware and theory end of how motion control works, but ultimately, I feel I would have been better off learning PMAC or Galil or what have you earlier instead of trying to reinvent the wheel myself. Part of this is also because I'm less interested in CNC and more interested in machine automation.

The things is though, it isn't reinventing the wheel for most people. It's loading a piece of software, and plugging in a device, and there, now you have a working CNC controller, for less than $100.

On the topic of general automation, the short version is that you're correct in that these programs are special purpose enough that they wouldn't really be suitable. If you're doing non-cnc work, it won't help you and you would end up reinventing it all. I still have concerns about cost/benefit of professional gear, but that's incredibly rooted in exact applications.

Tim Thomas posted:

You're ultimately limited by how good your control loop, tuning, deadband, and encoder are, but there's a ton of really neat and absurdly inexpensive encoders that have come on the market that are beyond the capabilities of any hobbyist stuff I've seen. This is less CNC and more general automation, but the fact that I can buy a brand new nanometer encoder for about a thousand bucks all in means that I can build production-worthy metrology on the cheap. Not something a home hobbyist needs by any means, but it means that as an experimenter or a person investigating startup ideas, I have the latitude to try things I may not be able to with a homebrew setup.

That kind of side steps the question. What is reasonably accurate? It depends on the application. For the majority of applications .01mm is beyond what is needed. A typical pair easily accessible and cheap digital calipers is only accurate to .005mm anyway (if that), so adding additional accuracy to a machine quickly outstrips what you can actually verify.

Calling a $1000 encoder cheap boggles me(I'm sure it is for its capabilities are, but none I've ever bothered with was more than $10, and $100 would have been horrifically expensive), but if it has a standard encoder signal, both Mach3 or EMC2 could read it anyway. They both can also do PID controls. On the topic of interfacing with industrial equipment, they can also interface with industrial servos. I've seen home built cnc stuff with yaskawa servopaks. Again though, this is if you're doing odd cnc work, for general automation using this is much more questionable.

Tim Thomas posted:

In fairness, a lot of this comes from the fact that I get to use a lot of this in my line of work, and having to go from the automation tools I use at work to having to reinvent them would annoy me well beyond the point that I'd go do something else instead of play with motors.

By all means, use what you're familiar with. Knowing a system is always huge.

I know computers, not industrial equipment. Desktop CNC software and driver boards let me do it easily, cheaply, and good enough for anything I've wanted. Is the performance ceiling lower? Quite possibly, but is it problematically lower?

All that said, you did say a few times that you were interested in automation beyond cnc. For that, yes, I can easily believe that much of this industrial equipment is vastly more suitable than programs designed for a single purpose. I can even speak with experience here, there's a project that has mach3 running as the host program for 3d printing. It's piles of kludges and additional external hardware for what looks like, on the surface at least, a very similar problem domain.

I've tried to keep any negativity from my responses as it sounds like you're doing some fascinating stuff. We're treading a bit close to off topic, so do you have it posted anywhere else? There's the robotics thread in DIY and hobbies.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Aurium posted:

Clones are fine, they just don't give money to the people who designed the arduino.

If you buy a setup without an assortment of individual parts just go to a local electronic parts store, and buy a few of the common things that you see in most kits. A photocell, a few momentary switches, some 10k potentiometers, leds, 10k resistors for pullup/pulldown (or use microcontroller's internal ones), leds, 150 ohm resistors for leds (a good standard size, not optimal for all colors, but safe and effective at 5v. learn to size them later) would get you started.

None of those jumped out at me as a bad deal.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm trying to remember the last time I encountered an electronics parts store here in the UK. I think it was Radio Shack/Tandy in 1994.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

spog posted:

Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm trying to remember the last time I encountered an electronics parts store here in the UK. I think it was Radio Shack/Tandy in 1994.

Maplin still carry a fairly decent selection.

Also, screw you for bringing up Arduinos, I thought this thread was safe. I was toying with getting one last year but decided I didn't really have a use for it and didn't want to be that nerdy. Now you're telling me I can get one with a screen for 30 quid?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Froist posted:

Maplin still carry a fairly decent selection.

For me, the Maplin shop is a mythical beast: plenty of friends claim to have seen one and been in one, but I have never seen one outside of fiction.

quote:

Also, screw you for bringing up Arduinos, I thought this thread was safe. I was toying with getting one last year but decided I didn't really have a use for it and didn't want to be that nerdy. Now you're telling me I can get one with a screen for 30 quid?

It is tempting, isn't it

EDIT: oh curse that Buy It Now button. I cannot resist it.

spog fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 19, 2012

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Aurium posted:

Interestingly enough, at this point I've argued on both sides of this issue.

This is the main issue with using the Pi to control real stuff.

It also has a nice real solution. The Raspberry Pi conveniently exposes it's SPI and I2C busses, as well as a UART. Connect GPIO expander chip(s) to any of them and you'll have all the IO you'll ever need. Here's some people who've designed a stackable one, stack them to the heavens(8 of them) and get an additional 128 GPIO.

Unfortunately, there isn't enough gpio pins to just emulate a parallel port and just use the current CNC driver boards, so no matter what you want, you're talking about adding additional custom hardware.
I don't have any experience with CNC milling(which I assume most people mean when they refer to CNC in general), but I do have a reprap 3d printer and I can say that the vast majority of users currently are using a RAMPS setup. Basically RAMPS is a daughter board("shield" in arduino terminology) for an Arduino Mega(the mega costs about the same as raspi, but much less processing power) that allows you to run up to 5 stepper drivers, up to 3 thermistors, 3 power mosfets to drive heating elements, and up to 6 limit stops(most people just use 3). The stepper drivers are pololu or compatible which are more or less a breakout board for Allegro stepper driver chips. The drivers basically use a two inputs: Step and Direction to control the motor. They are rated for up to 35V and 2A with proper thermal management(surface mount, heavy clad PCB with vias). The pololus cost about $13 each and seem to hit a very good price/performance sweetspot.
A fully assembled RAMPS board (not including the Arduino mega or Pololus) runs about $85.

So basically what I'm getting at is that if it is possible to make a daughterboard for raspi that can break out enough pins over i2c or whatever to perform similar function as RAMPS, for similar price, then that could possibly make quite a few people happy. The whole intermediate parallel interface idea is foreign to me, and seems extraneous.

Edit: This diagram shows how all the stuff interfaces with the RAMPS board. Dual extruder(what the 5th stepper driver would be for) is optional and not widely used at the moment.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 20, 2012

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I just stumbled across this thread on the raspberry pi forums about processor configuration/ overclocking. Something which hadn't really crossed my mind before, but could be a lot of fun.

Bascially you can overclock by simply editing a text file. Dom says he's already been running 1Ghz(from a baseline 700Mhz) and short tests at 1.15Ghz. I wonder how much higher is possible with addition of heatsink/heatsink+fan/liquid cooling/dry ice/LN2 :getin:

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

peepsalot posted:

So basically what I'm getting at is that if it is possible to make a daughterboard for raspi that can break out enough pins over i2c or whatever to perform similar function as RAMPS, for similar price, then that could possibly make quite a few people happy. The whole intermediate parallel interface idea is foreign to me, and seems extraneous.

Edit: This diagram shows how all the stuff interfaces with the RAMPS board. Dual extruder(what the 5th stepper driver would be for) is optional and not widely used at the moment.

For running something like a reprap where they've basically always had the freedom to grow their own hardware exactly as they want it, an intermediate (and captive) parallel interface would be totally extraneous. Repraps grew up around cheap micro controllers with lots of GPIO.

On the other hand, hobbyist cnc machines grew up around x86 PCs with very little GPIO, the only standard and easy to get at IO is on a parallel port. As such the motor driver boards are parallel based.(example) For using a Raspberry Pi as a cnc controller, it would have been nice to be able to plug one of these in, and just run LinuxCNC(EMC2) like you would any other pc. But a RPi doesn't have a parallel port, and there isn't enough GPIO to emulate one either. So you'd need either a different hardware driver, or a glue layer of hardware between the RPi and a standard driver.

Each way would have pretty similar hardware of a few GPIO expanders. Software complexity would be pretty close too, either way you need to say which signals go to which pins. If you're doing an integrated solution with all new hardware, I'd take the same approach of just I2C or SPI interface and not emulating a parallel port, just to have a conceptually cleaner design. By doing a separate glue hardware layer you get the choice of standard driver boards.

Back to reprap. Instead of a RAMPS (Reprap Arduino Mega Pololu Shield), we'll probably soon get a RRPPS (Reprap Raspberry Pi Pololu Sheild). Although, since shield is a arduino term we'll end up with RRPPDB instead.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Aurium posted:

Back to reprap. Instead of a RAMPS (Reprap Arduino Mega Pololu Shield), we'll probably soon get a RRPPS (Reprap Raspberry Pi Pololu Sheild). Although, since shield is a arduino term we'll end up with RRPPDB instead.

If you're going to go that route, you'd probably be better off with the BeagleBone, which was actually designed for stackable expansion boards (called capes). Plus it has 66 GPIO pins, more than enough for even a relatively fancy machine.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Anyone received one in the mail yet?

Talaii
Sep 5, 2003

You crack me up, lil buddy!

peepsalot posted:

Anyone received one in the mail yet?

I got an email about it today. Surely that counts, right?

element14 Australia posted:

Having successfully passed its CE compliance testing, we can now confirm that your Raspberry Pi will be dispatched week commencing 28-May-12.

That's still a month off. At least it's a date, though.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Cockmaster posted:

If you're going to go that route, you'd probably be better off with the BeagleBone, which was actually designed for stackable expansion boards (called capes). Plus it has 66 GPIO pins, more than enough for even a relatively fancy machine.

On the plus side, the BeagleBone is designed for stackable expansion boards, has much more native GPIO, and you can buy and get one now. All excellent points.

On the minus side, it's $90. Over 2-3x the price of a Raspberry Pi (depending on model). Of course the RPi doesn't have enough GPIO to do GPIO heavy stuff stuff, like a reprap board. You'd need to include expander chips as part of the new daughter board to make it a single board solution. To bring the RPi up to parity with the BeagleBone, we'd be talking around 4 16 channel chips, for an additional 64 GPIO.

The most expensive expanders I've found are less than 3 dollars a chip, and many are less than $1. So, the cost of saving 55+ dollars on the controller is making the daughter board 4-12 dollars more expensive. If they use the 3 dollar expander chips, you'd have to buy 5 daughter boards worth of redundant hardware to even out, and if they use the cheap ones, you're talking more than a dozen sets.

Now then, I'm not really familiar with the BeagleBone so it may well have yet other advantages that I can't see from a cursory glance. The extraordinarily low cost of the RPi puts a massive squeeze on other ARM boards, but it's also bound up with supply issues and the added difficulty of needing external expanders. It'll be interesting seeing how it all interacts.

Aurium fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 27, 2012

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Talaii posted:

I got an email about it today. Surely that counts, right?

It's more than I've gotten from Newark (US)...

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Aurium posted:

On the plus side, the BeagleBone is designed for stackable expansion boards, has much more native GPIO, and you can buy and get one now. All excellent points.

On the minus side, it's $90. Over 2-3x the price of a Raspberry Pi (depending on model). Of course the RPi doesn't have enough GPIO to do GPIO heavy stuff stuff, like a reprap board. You'd need to include expander chips as part of the new daughter board to make it a single board solution. To bring the RPi up to parity with the BeagleBone, we'd be talking around 4 16 channel chips, for an additional 64 GPIO.

The most expensive expanders I've found are less than 3 dollars a chip, and many are less than $1. So, the cost of saving 55+ dollars on the controller is making the daughter board 4-12 dollars more expensive. If they use the 3 dollar expander chips, you'd have to buy 5 daughter boards worth of redundant hardware to even out, and if they use the cheap ones, you're talking more than a dozen sets.

Now then, I'm not really familiar with the BeagleBone so it may well have yet other advantages that I can't see from a cursory glance. The extraordinarily low cost of the RPi puts a massive squeeze on other ARM boards, but it's also bound up with supply issues and the added difficulty of needing external expanders. It'll be interesting seeing how it all interacts.

If your machine has more than the bare minimum features, chances are $90 for a controller wouldn't be a big deal.

And do these expander chips introduce any measurable lag? Even if you're not trying to match the accuracy of an industrial machine, that's something you want to avoid with things like stepper motors and home switches.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
The lag could easily be accounted for.

MOLLUSC
Nov 30, 2005

A guy from Farnell UK phoned me and said mine will probably be posted the first week of June. That one I saw on eBay ended up going for £200/$325 :lol:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
There's a puff piece on /. about a planned Intel x86 clone of the rpi.
Highly doubtful that it will ever come to fruition, hit its super-optimistic 2H 2012 ship date, or even come near the purported $100 price point, but a man can dream!

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

~Coxy posted:

Highly doubtful that it will ever come to fruition, hit its super-optimistic 2H 2012 ship date, or even come near the purported $100 price point, but a man can dream!

It's going to be completely different even if it does come out. How many gpio pins do you have on the board for instance? Not to mention the order of magnitude difference in power that I'll require to operate, it requires active cooling for its form factor while the Pi has no heatsink whatsoever. It'll mainly be aimed at cheap kiosk type installations because if you want x86 on the cheap there are complete atom boards available for under $100.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 1, 2012

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

~Coxy posted:

It's not a clone. The board Intel's been showing off is basically a very small motherboard that can take mobile Sandy/Ivy Bridge parts - in other words, it's a component in a full x86 PC, as capable (and as power-hungry, and about as expensive) as a decent laptop minus the display and input bits. The only similarity to the Raspberry Pi is the size.

I don't see what's so unrealistic about a sub-$100 SFF x86 system, though. Intel already makes one of those.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Space Gopher posted:

I don't see what's so unrealistic about a sub-$100 SFF x86 system, though. Intel already makes one of those.

The DN2800MT might be a better choice. It's powered by a simple 12 volt power brick instead of requiring an ATX power supply.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Neither of those have RAM, and the cheapest/only place I can find the DN2800MT is $150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

~Coxy posted:

Neither of those have RAM, and the cheapest/only place I can find the DN2800MT is $150.

Someone selling through Amazon has it for $107ish. And yeah, no memory is included, but right now memory is cheap.

It's an option. Not a horribly cheap option, but an option. Not a great replacement for the intended audience of the Pi either, really.