Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I haven't been watching anything for the longest time but intrigued by a fellow goon's avatar I watched Luther and was blown away. The number of episodes confuses me as hell, although I prefer weird episode count to storyline shoehorned into the standard 13 or 26 episode format.

Started watching Sherlock from there as per recommendation and while the first episode was amazing, the second was crap. Predictable and uninteresting plotline. I can't wrap my head around how someone who can pull of something like the first episode can immediately produce crap like the second one. Oh, well, hope it gets back on track.

After that I am eyeballing Wallander as it seems these 3 shows are quite similar to each other and it is thus only natural I watch them "together" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wallander is very different. Much darker and gloomier with pretty much no humor. I like it a lot but it isnt for everyone. I guess it is closer to Luther but not serialized.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I think I'm going to love it, then! And sorry for being dumb, but what do you mean it's not serialized?

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

lordfrikk posted:

Started watching Sherlock from there as per recommendation and while the first episode was amazing, the second was crap. Predictable and uninteresting plotline. I can't wrap my head around how someone who can pull of something like the first episode can immediately produce crap like the second one. Oh, well, hope it gets back on track.

Don't worry - I agree that the second one is horrible, especially compared to the rest. They are much better after that. The season finales especially made me pick my jaw up off the floor. Absolutely mindblowing.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Count Choculitis posted:

Don't worry - I agree that the second one is horrible, especially compared to the rest. They are much better after that. The season finales especially made me pick my jaw up off the floor. Absolutely mindblowing.

I agree, although the second episode of season 2 is not particularly great either. I mean it'a bit better than The Blind Banker, but surely the weakest of season 2.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just think of the Chinese one and the dog one as comedy episodes.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Believe it or not I have just started Breaking Bad. Now to watch it all before my Netflix expires in the next 20 days!

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I've been watching Downton Abbey all weekend and it's been pretty dang good. They really should rename the show to Iceburn Abbey whenever the Dowager Countess shows up. She's seriously the best character in the show.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Believe it or not I have just started Breaking Bad. Now to watch it all before my Netflix expires in the next 20 days!
Whether you plan on it or not, you'll finish it well within twenty days. As the series goes on, pretty much every episode ends on a huge cliffhanger and you're gonna want to continue it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Is Breaking Bad Season 4 on Netflix or DVD yet? I'll have to rejoin whenever it is.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's on Amazon's streaming video site, probably among others. The DVD's generally come out a few weeks before the season starts.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Doctor Candiru posted:

Whether you plan on it or not, you'll finish it well within twenty days. As the series goes on, pretty much every episode ends on a huge cliffhanger and you're gonna want to continue it.

I thought I was only on season 1 but apparently I've hit season 2 episode 6 already. Christ, I'm burning through this fast, almost too fast :ohdear:

@Big Bad Voodoo Lou: No season 4 here on my netflix, I'm a Canuck though.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
Just watched most of Peep Show over the last couple weeks. Amazing show....it was like The Office (UK) meets Sunny meets Waking Life.

Dumpstar
Jul 24, 2001

Well thanks to all you I now have this list of shows I haven't watched...

In Treatment
Sherlock
Sports Night
Six feet under
Psych
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Louie
Raising Hope
Terriers

Anyone want to recommend an order? Love shows like Parks and Rec, Breaking Bad, Peep Show, Arrested Development, The League.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

hcreight posted:

]I've been going through Star Trek TNG the past several days on Netflix. I was under the impression that I had seen most of the really good episodes on various runs on cable over the last several years, and was delighted to find out how wrong I was. And I have the luxury of knowing some of the ones to skip, like the one about the creepy ghost who keeps having affairs with Dr. Crusher and her ancestors.

I think the famously bad ones are worth a watch, in a sense. It's some of the flat, mediocre ones that everyone forgets that are kinda worth skipping. I'd suggest some, but I've forgotten them.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

Dumpstar posted:

In Treatment
Sherlock
Sports Night
Six feet under
Psych
Louie
Raising Hope
Terriers

Anyone want to recommend an order? Love shows like Parks and Rec, Breaking Bad, Peep Show, Arrested Development, The League.
Eastbound and Down, Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Edit: Misread that post. I'd start with Six Feet Under and then Always Sunny. I haven't seen any of the other shows but Six Feet Under is a great show and has an amazing finale.

DoYouHasaRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 30, 2012

Didion
Mar 16, 2009

Dumpstar posted:

In Treatment
Sherlock
Sports Night
Six feet under
Psych
Louie
Raising Hope
Terriers

Sherlock's only 6 episodes/matinees. go through at least the first season, but try not to burn yourself out. Enjoy, it's amazing :)

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I'm three discs away from being done with Six Feet Under. This final season has such a good feeling to it, but I know that something is going to come along a gently caress everything up. I guess that there's no such thing as a happy ending for HBO shows.

After that I'm going to go through The Wire. Is there anything I should really know about it before I start watching it or should I sit back and enjoy the ride. After that is The Sopranos, Oz, and possibly the X-Files. I'm trying to wrap up Married... With Children as filler in between movies and discs of shows. So we'll see how it goes.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

bobkatt013 posted:

It is so weird seeing all these famous people before they became famous.

I'd like to introduce you to this little show called Oz.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

HUMAN FISH posted:

I'd like to introduce you to this little show called Oz.

You mean Homicide?

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

bobkatt013 posted:

You mean Homicide?

Well played.

Homicide is still one of my favourite shows, ever.

Also Andre Braugher needs more acting jobs.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

screenwritersblues posted:

After that I'm going to go through The Wire. Is there anything I should really know about it before I start watching it or should I sit back and enjoy the ride.

Few things actually.

1. Don't go in with too high expectations

2. Expect the first episode and even the first few (on first watch) to be VERY slow, compared to everything else you've seen on TV. This is a cop show that's not a cop show. When you get around to re-watching the first episode a lot more gets picked up on.

3. There is no "main" character. Everyone matters.

4. Do know that the show comes to a satisfying close, and that the creator took care-almost from knowing from the beginning where it was all headed.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I binged through Supernatural in December, after years of being told by a goon friend I had to watch it and being resistant to the idea. So glad that I did. It's so hard going back to week to week viewing this season. (And am now enjoying Count Choculitis' reactions as she goes through it, and love rewatching the best episodes with her. :) )

I also watched the first season of Mad Men a couple of years ago and for no good reason didn't keep watching it, so this last month I fixed that and am now all caught up. It's good as a character / period drama but can be a bit of a slow burn for stretches at a time.

And Didion / people thinking about watching Psych, it, and Parks & Recreation are basically the two happiest, feel-goodiest shows on TV right now. For Psych, there are literally only two episodes (the seasons 4 and 6 finales) that won't leave you with a smile on your face (and both of those are fantastic episodes, the endings are just not your typical happy Psych endings). The pilot is the weakest episode, and there are a few others scattered here and there that are kind of meh, but if you need a show that's going to make you laugh pretty consistently as long as it jibes with your sense of humor, Psych will do it.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Annakie posted:

I also watched the first season of Mad Men a couple of years ago and for no good reason didn't keep watching it, so this last month I fixed that and am now all caught up. It's good as a character / period drama but can be a bit of a slow burn for stretches at a time.

I've found that as time goes on you get more and more involved with the characters to the point where the slightest occurrence seems significant and engrossing, and that's helped with the fantastic writing. The various character arcs, or the apparent lack of arcs in some characters, is what makes it so engrossing I think.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

screenwritersblues posted:

After that I'm going to go through The Wire. Is there anything I should really know about it before I start watching it or should I sit back and enjoy the ride. After that is The Sopranos, Oz, and possibly the X-Files. I'm trying to wrap up Married... With Children as filler in between movies and discs of shows. So we'll see how it goes.

Don't try to watch it in the background. The show is very deliberately paced and really suffers if you don't pay attention.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Lord Yod posted:

Don't try to watch it in the background. The show is very deliberately paced and really suffers if you don't pay attention.

Trust the laptop is going to be closed and full attention is going to be given to this show. It's not going to be like the others where I just "watch" it, this one is going to be watched.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

Annakie posted:

I binged through Supernatural in December, after years of being told by a goon friend I had to watch it and being resistant to the idea. So glad that I did. It's so hard going back to week to week viewing this season. (And am now enjoying Count Choculitis' reactions as she goes through it, and love rewatching the best episodes with her. :) )

Hola Mishamigo! Thank you thank you thank you for getting me into this show. :glomp:

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Well, I finally made it to season 8 of Scrubs and I kind of love it. It's funny without being saccharine or (too) silly, and it makes ample fun of itself (and its less-than-amazing last two seasons). They shake up the format a bit with the new interns (some of whom I recognize from some of my favorite current shows, Parks and rec and Happy Endings) and Kelso and Cox's friendship.

Is season 9 worth watching?

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009

Chamberk posted:

Well, I finally made it to season 8 of Scrubs and I kind of love it. It's funny without being saccharine or (too) silly, and it makes ample fun of itself (and its less-than-amazing last two seasons). They shake up the format a bit with the new interns (some of whom I recognize from some of my favorite current shows, Parks and rec and Happy Endings) and Kelso and Cox's friendship.

Is season 9 worth watching?

No. It's really a spinoff show. As its own show it's not great, though it ends nicely with the (new) characters having some growth. But as an ending to Scrubs it adds nothing, and negates the perfect ending of season 8.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Just finished watching Homeland, it felt like a combination of The Killing, but done well, and 24, but not retarded. It makes the most of moral and political greyness, and some really strong performances by the main cast members. Being 12 episodes long stops it from overstaying it's welcome and needless padding.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Brown Moses posted:

Just finished watching Homeland, it felt like a combination of The Killing, but done well, and 24, but not retarded. It makes the most of moral and political greyness, and some really strong performances by the main cast members. Being 12 episodes long stops it from overstaying it's welcome and needless padding.

Yeah, the wife and I really liked it a lot. I'm interested to see where the second season takes it.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Count Choculitis posted:

You weren't kidding. The first episode of the second season was loving amazing. I still don't know what the hell happened in the second season finale, though :confused:

trw
Dec 24, 2003

Brown Moses posted:

I've found that as time goes on you get more and more involved with the characters to the point where the slightest occurrence seems significant and engrossing, and that's helped with the fantastic writing. The various character arcs, or the apparent lack of arcs in some characters, is what makes it so engrossing I think.

Also the episodes themselves have themes inside themselves so it doesn't really lend itself well to binging. The best way to watch Mad Men is to watch no more than one episode per day and let it sink in.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
Jeez, trying to watch Breaking Bad but it's just. so. loving. intense. Even browsing at the same time doesn't really alleviate as it's engrossing as all hell.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The second half of 1976's I, Claudius. I had watched the first a month or two ago, but took a break as I wanted to read the second book (Claudius the God and His Wife Messalina) before completing it.

John Hurt's Caligula is superb. Unfortunately, we only get one scene of Incitatus as a good bit of that part of the book (in this case, I Claudius) was left out.

The other highlight has been Messalina's sex tournament and all the one liners:
My name is Mnester and I'm an actor. Most people know me.
I'm Scylla and I'm a whore. Everyone knows me.

Not as strong as the first seven episodes, but all the interesting people have been killed off.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I'm finally catching up on The Vampire Diaries and man is it an easy show to watch all day. There's no point at which it really slows down enough for me to think, "This is a good point to stop at for the day." It's like season 4 of Lost except it doesn't hit a loving brick wall at the end of the season. I've said this before but it's like every episode is the season finale.

lordfrikk posted:

You weren't kidding. The first episode of the second season was loving amazing. I still don't know what the hell happened in the second season finale, though :confused:

I thought the second season finale was a mess. There's like a 90% chance whatever explanation they come up with for how Sherlock avoided death will make me roll my eyes so hard they pop out of my head. Also while I thought Moriarty killing himself was an interesting twist story-wise, I think it was a bad move because the character and the actor were awesome and the series will suffer for not having him in it. Unless he's not dead either of course.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

I know it only had two seasons before being cancelled, but me and my other half have just watched season one of Carnivale in a week and, drat, if it isn't just riveting television.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Finished Six Feet Under and I can say that I'm really sorry that I missed this in the first run. It was such a great show, maybe better than The Sopranos, but it probably won't be better than The Wire, which is starting Saturday.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Binging through Southland right now. Not a bad show at all. Has some flaws, but plays kind of like a mix of The Wire and The Shield. Good cast on the show and really has a great LA feel to it (mainly the bad parts).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I just finished episode 7, season 2 of The Vampire Diaries and it already feels like a whole season has passed. A good season full of character development, crazy twists, mythology building and a cliffhanger ending. It's crazy how good the writing is for such a seemingly cheesy show like its network buddy Nikita.