Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
I hate it so much that all the alternatives arent available in Europe. I want to give the record industry money but they wont take it. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

I also wish there were alternatives. Spotify requires Facebook from new users so the older members of my family and a few friends can't sign up. Rdio doesn't require Facebook, but it's not available here in Finland. We have Deezer, but it's Facebook only as well.

Rdio is planning on expanding. Please speed up, I want you here now. Many people I know are currently on Grooveshark, but that thing is about to go down from lawsuits.

Edit: With all this talk of other music services, would it be a good idea to have a music streaming service thread instead of a spotify thread?

Superanos fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 25, 2012

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I tried to like Rdio, but their iPhone app just isn't as good as Spotify's. You can't even create playlists within it. Spotify also has a better selection.

I'm glad I got my Spotify account before they started requiring Facebook though.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
The beta Android app really sucks. After one track it goes mute for me, and there's no more scrobbling support. Back to the old version that never gave me problems (except when I star something it crashes).

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I have Spotify premium, and one thing that irritates me to no end is that I can't seem to sort the tracks in a playlist by alphabetical order.

So, if I add a song to a playlist from the iOS app, it'll show up in the OSX desktop application, but even if I sort the songs by song name on the desktop application, it will STILL not change the order in iOS.

Is there any way to force Spotify mobile to refresh a playlist by artist name after adding new songs?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I haven't seen a way to sort by artist.

Does the new Android app allow sorting? I assumed that the new Android app being released meant that a new iPhone and maybe iPad app would be coming soon, but maybe I was mistaken...

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

hypersleep posted:

I haven't seen a way to sort by artist.

Does the new Android app allow sorting? I assumed that the new Android app being released meant that a new iPhone and maybe iPad app would be coming soon, but maybe I was mistaken...

It is such a basic feature it is retarded, and yet, nothing.

Spotify isn't some beta product. It's a paid service that works remarkably well in most regards (at least for me) so I can't really understand how SOMEONE hasn't been like, "hey, let's get these basic core functions up and running. Oh, and, you know, a client for the most popular flavor of the fastest growing computer segment."

Is there some kind of trouble at Spotify that we don't know about? Can they literally not afford a programmer?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I have no idea what's up with their laziness when it comes to their mobile apps. It seems like the devs are far more interested in coming up with new "apps" for the desktop app than working on the mobile apps, which also strikes me as a backward priority. I would imagine people are listening to Spotify on their phones far more often than on their computer.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

hypersleep posted:

I have no idea what's up with their laziness when it comes to their mobile apps. It seems like the devs are far more interested in coming up with new "apps" for the desktop app than working on the mobile apps, which also strikes me as a backward priority. I would imagine people are listening to Spotify on their phones far more often than on their computer.

When you consider that pretty much the only reason to pay them is to get the mobile functions, yeah, I'd have to agree with this.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Undead Zombie posted:

I also wish there were alternatives. Spotify requires Facebook from new users so the older members of my family and a few friends can't sign up. Rdio doesn't require Facebook, but it's not available here in Finland. We have Deezer, but it's Facebook only as well.

Rdio is planning on expanding. Please speed up, I want you here now. Many people I know are currently on Grooveshark, but that thing is about to go down from lawsuits.

Edit: With all this talk of other music services, would it be a good idea to have a music streaming service thread instead of a spotify thread?

That's a shame that it now "requires" facebook :( I still haven't synced my account with FB because I really don't need it posting to my friends every time I listen to a song or whatever. I have last.fm to keep track of my listening stats. My only complaint about spotify would be about some fairly major metal labels not being on their service, but that's the label's decision and can't be helped by Spotify (unless they change their finances so that the artists get more money or whatever). The only other thing that has annoyed me so far is there seems to be some sort of regional split with some artists, for example I went to listen to the Split Cranium album, and was told it wasn't available in my country. Although I guess, again, that is down to label distribution rights or something.

I guess the search function could be improved too, for example when you're searching for a track which appears on multiple albums (eg on a studio album and a greatest hits) it will only give you the most popular result. This can be irritating as I much prefer to listen to music in the context of an album rather than in a compilation format, and often the compilations are more popular on Spotify.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

nomapple posted:

That's a shame that it now "requires" facebook :( I still haven't synced my account with FB because I really don't need it posting to my friends every time I listen to a song or whatever.

Not defending the facebook integration, but you can turn off the automatic song posting in spotify's settings.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
^ until they update the desktop app in the background (only warning is a little HEY RESTART ME PLZ CUZ I UPDATED banner) and it helpfully re-ticks the sharing options for you. Like how it won't detect when you've upgraded to Premium and auto-select the higher streaming quality.

It's scummy that every so often the mobile app logs me out, and on re-login basically says 'hey do you want to connect to facebook y/n' and selecting 'n' returns you to the username/password screen. Repeat ad nauseum.

spincube fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 30, 2012

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

sweek0 posted:

I can't wait for some Spotify alternatives to come out in Europe.

there will be one, it will only be available in bulgaria on a wednesday in a leap year, cause that's the only way you can get started due to the licensing mess that is europe.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

DreamingApe posted:

there will be one, it will only be available in bulgaria on a wednesday in a leap year, cause that's the only way you can get started due to the licensing mess that is europe.

I got 3 free months of spotify premium when I bought a new phone about a year ago. Except it's still free - I think this is how they stay afloat.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

afaik: The labels have been demanding more money cause their (spotify) revenue has gone up, ignoring the fact that they still do not turn a profit.

"Free" Spotify with your mobile is becoming a thing here too.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

DreamingApe posted:

afaik: The labels have been demanding more money cause their (spotify) revenue has gone up, ignoring the fact that they still do not turn a profit.

"Free" Spotify with your mobile is becoming a thing here too.

I used a promotion with Dutch provider Hi! that'd give me 6 months of Spotify premium + 500MB extra data each month. I've switched to Vodafone and Hi! is still paying for my Spotify account.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Look at that, an Ipad app: http://techcrunch.com/2012/05/02/its-finally-here-spotify-launches-its-long-awaited-ipad-app/

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah I've been poking around with it, the overall design is cool but I really hate the fact that you can't click on on artist's name and go to a listing of all their albums/tracks the way you can on the desktop version.

I can't see myself using it nearly as much as the mobile version or the desktop version but it's nice to have I guess.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I'm really liking the iPad app so far. Can finally view related artists! Would've liked to be able to reorder playlists, though.

bee burger
Nov 4, 2011

Earwicker posted:

Yeah I've been poking around with it, the overall design is cool but I really hate the fact that you can't click on on artist's name and go to a listing of all their albums/tracks the way you can on the desktop version.

Can't you do that though? If you hold on a song a little context menu opens up, and you can tap the icon of a crowd of people to go to the artist page. The button has the same behavior when you poke it in the currently playing view too.

It is more work than clicking on a name, yeah.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

bee burger posted:

Can't you do that though? If you hold on a song a little context menu opens up, and you can tap the icon of a crowd of people to go to the artist page. The button has the same behavior when you poke it in the currently playing view too.

Totally missed that, thanks!

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Awesome, 4chan has taken over Soundrop House channel and remixes of Avicii Levels have been playing for the last two and a half hours.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Anyway to not have this program show the shitey What's New page when opening up? Prefer not to be advertised to from the outset.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

You know what this poo poo needs? A Milkdrop plugin. Or at least some kind of cool visualizer

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
The mobile app now has gapless playback, awesome.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

huhu posted:

Awesome, 4chan has taken over Soundrop House channel and remixes of Avicii Levels have been playing for the last two and a half hours.

A welcome break from all the Tiesto, Guetta and SHM.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Spotify just launched in Australia this morning and I've been playing around with it. It seems interesting so far, any tips for a first-time user?

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

webmeister posted:

Spotify just launched in Australia this morning and I've been playing around with it. It seems interesting so far, any tips for a first-time user?

Add people with great playlists and get the share my playlists app and other suggestion apps to find these people. This way you'll discover tons of music and cool playlists.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
God, after trying out Rdio I desperately miss a Collection feature in Spotify.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Want to laugh?

Search the soundtrack for 127 Hours and click the song "The Canyon"

The yellow rose of texas

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Want to laugh?

Search the soundtrack for 127 Hours and click the song "The Canyon"

The yellow rose of texas

I don't get it?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Eight Is Legend posted:

I don't get it?

Does it play a kids song when you play it because for some strange reason it does for me

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Does it play a kids song when you play it because for some strange reason it does for me

Nope, not unless kids music took a turn for the epic since I was young 'un.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Do you have your home music library set up in Spotify? I had the worst problem with Spotify playing random live performances, or different songs with the same title from my library as replacements for whatever I was listening to.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
So is it worth updating the Android app or not?

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

you mean the new preview?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
loving love Spotify and it does just about 99% of the stuff I want it to do, but the mobile app (android at least) definitely has some problems. As far as I can see, theres no way to sort within a playlist which is frustrating. My general strategy is just to have one playlist that I throw all the music I like into and listen on that. On the pc this works great as I can either just shuffle through all my music or listen to particular but on mobile it's annoying as gently caress as I can't search (or even order) my playlists so it's nearly impossible to find specific songs in my 2000+ song playlist, especially while driving. It's even worse when I have songs imported from itunes, because it least with stuff on spotify I can just search for it outside of the playlist but with my imported stuff it's pretty much impossible to find other than just looking through my long rear end list :(

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
Yeah, the Android app is pretty much a train wreck. You basically have to rely on a strict regime of either listening to music album-wise or preparing playlists on your computer (and then live with all the bugs and the crashes as they come). Even the Linux release seem to have had more dev time despite being inofficial. However, I do believe that the Spotify team have released a beta of the next very much improved version under the table somewhere so you could check it out.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
This just launched in Australia and I can't believe how good it is. I typed in a few local acts as a joke and they're already in the system. It has pretty much everything I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Svartvit posted:

However, I do believe that the Spotify team have released a beta of the next very much improved version under the table somewhere so you could check it out.

you can get the improved version here: http://www.spotify.com/us/download/previews/

• Locked thread