Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Welcome to the NEW & IMPROVED hockey card thread :toot:

If you are here, you probably already know all about the hobby, as it has probably sucked your soul bank account dry. I sure know mine is pretty empty. But that is ok, I have lots of great swag from my favorite players/teams and that just rules. But for those who are new to the hobby and might not be up to date on things, I am going to provide a small primer of terms that get used a lot. Anyone who doesn't need this, feel free to skip the first post and go right to the second.

What is a hockey card?

Hockey (and all sports really) cards are generally small, generally rectangular collectable, well, cards. They come in all shapes, materials and sizes, but they are generally rectangular, cardboard and about 4" x 3". They can also be acetate (plastic), canvas textured and even made of SOLID GOLD :aaa:. They usually have a picture of a hockey player on them, but can also have a piece of memorabilia on them such as a piece of game-used jersey, game-used stick or even an autograph from your favorite player! There are several different "kinds" of hockey cards.

Base Cards

A base card is what makes up the bulk of nearly every hockey product. Base cards have nothing too special about them, they are simply plain cards with a picture of your favorite (or least favorite) hockey player on it. They are generally not too valuable and you can expect the majority of the cards in every pack to be a base card.

Example of a base card:

Generally clean look, similar to most other cards in the set.

Parallel Cards

A parallel card is a special kind of card that is significantly rarer than a normal version of that card and has some aesthetic difference between it and typical versions of that card. This could be a special stamp like "Artist Proof" or different coloring. Parallels exist at all levels of cards, from base to jersey to autograph. Most parallels are serial numbered, usually fairly low.

Example of a parallel card:

On left is a normal 11/12 Score Base, on right is a 11/12 Score Gold base parallel, limited to 1 per box.

Rookie Cards

A rookie card is a player card released during the year he played in his first NHL game.

*SPECIAL NOTE* This differs somewhat from other sports in that the trading card companies are NOT ALLOWED to print professional hockey cards for players until they participate in at least 1 NHL game. Some other sports will print rookie cards of players as soon as they are drafted/signed. In MLB and NFL cards, you may get a rookie card of a player that won't play in their first game for years. This is not true of NHL cards. As such, sets released early in the year may not contain all the bigger named rookies expected to debut in the following season. These rookies will be added in via update sets released later in the year, or through special redemption cards.*END SPECIAL NOTE*

Rookie cards are usually marked with the word "rookie" somewhere or by other well-known set terms, such as Upper Deck's "Young Guns" series. Rookie cards are usually among the most valuable non-memorabilia forms of cards. For example, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins' Young Guns rookie from this year's Upper Deck Series 1 set is valued anywhere from $70-$100. Generally if a player is eligible to be on a rookie card, you will not see a base version printed. Also, any insert, parallel, jersey or autograph card of a first year player can be considered a rookie card, even if it is not specifically marked as "rookie". Cards marked "rookie" however, are generally more desirable.

Example of rookie card:

Gabriel Landeskog's Young Guns rookie, 11-12 Upper Deck Series 1

Insert Cards

An insert card is a limited print, unique card meant to celebrate a certain event or type of player. Inserts are generally a short series of cards (10-40) that are much more uncommon than base cards, but more common than memorabilia cards. Some insert cards are serial numbered, some are not. They differ from parallels in that they are unique from base cards. Common insert sub-sets can include events like the Winter Classic, player's first goals and amazing saves, or classes of players like superstars of the game, men behind the mask or rough and tumble scrappers. Inserts generally have a higher value than base cards and are highly collectable. Collecting insert sets is much more challenging than base sets, due to scarcity. Insert cards also come in parallel versions, including autographed and die cut versions.

Example of an insert card:

Martin Brodeur's Leather Larceny insert card from 10-11 Contenders

Memorabilia Cards

Memorabilia cards are among the most desired hockey cards. Memorabilia cards also go by "mems" or "hits". These cards can come in several varieties, jersey cards, prime jersey cards, patch cards, stick cards, autograph cards and "other" cards. Many memorabilia cards are serial numbered. Here is a brief explanation of each type:

Jersey Cards

Jersey cards are cards which contain a game (or sometimes "event") used piece of a hockey jersey from the listed player. Most veteran jersey cards contain game used materials. Usually rookie jersey cards contain "event-used" jerseys, typically worn at photo shoots. This is simply because the supply of actual game-worn jerseys for rookies is very low. This is not always the case however, and whether it is game or event used is typically marked on the card somewhere. Jersey cards can vary greatly. They can contain a single swatch (jersey piece) or multiple different swatches, from the same players or multiple players. Jersey cards can be single colored or multiple colored.

Example of a jersey card:

This is a three colored, triple jersey card of Roberto Loungo, Mikka Kipprusoff and Carey Price from O-Pee-Chee

Prime Jersey Cards

Prime jersey cards are unique to the Panini card company. Prime jersey cards are usually numbered lower than normal jersey cards and feature a seem, piping or name/number-patch (simply one of the letter or number patches sewn on the jersey). These cards are usually marked "prime" somewhere on the card itself. Prime is much more uncommon than standard jersey and thus more desired.

Example of a prime jersey:

Martin Brodeur 2 color prime jersey from 10-11 Donruss. Note the 'prime' designation below and to the right of the swatch.

Patch Cards

Patch cards are among the most desirable memorabilia cards. They are typically very low serial numbered and can contain some amazing swatches. Patch cards can vary in quality, from number/name patches to logo crests to brand (reebok/CCM) logos.

Example of a patch card:

Sidney Crosby 3 color patch card from upcoming 11-12 Upper Deck SPX numbered 5/25 (note the serial number on the left side of the card. Upper Deck generally puts serial numbering on the front, Panini on the back)

Stick Cards

Similar to jersey cards, stick cards contain a piece of game used material. In this case, game used stick from that player. Stick cards are generally rarer than most other memorabilia cards, likely due to scarcity of supply. They usually have a low serial number as well.

Example of a stick card:

Martin Brodeur's stick and jersey card from 10-11 Luxury Suite

Autograph Cards

Autograph cards are cards that are either signed by a player, or have autographs from the player attached to them. Autograph cards are either "hard signed", which have the autograph directly on the card itself or "sticker signed" in which an autograph of the player is attached to the card via a transparent sticker. Sticker autographs are very common as it allows the card company to have a large supply of autographs on hand so they can put them into product without having to wait for players to sign (ie they send player X 100 sheets of stickers and ask them to sign as many as they can and return them, then use those sticker autographs for many different sets). Hard signed autographs are less common and usually more valuable. Hard signed cards are more difficult for card companies to acquire in a timely fashion as they can not get the cards out to the players to sign too far in advance of release date of the set (they need to print the cards, then send the cards, then get them back before packout). Many times players are not able to get the autographs back to the company in time for the release of the product and redemption cards need to be put into product in place of the autographs. Autograph cards can be low, high or even not serial numbered at all.

Examples of autograph cards:

Steve Yzerman autographed card from 09-10 Upper Deck SP Authentic. This is a hard signed autograph.

Shane Doan autographed card from 11-12 Panini Crown Royale. This is a sticker autograph.

Other Memorabilia

There are several other, less common forms of memorabilia cards. These can include goalie pads, gloves, game used pucks and even game used netting. These are not common to all sets and are usually very short printed (low serial number)

Example of an 'other memorabilia' card:

Carey Price/Patrick Kane Net Presence card from 11-12 Panini Limited. The netting is all-star game used.

Redemption Cards

Redemption cards are placeholder cards that allow you to claim a card from the company that for some reason was not able to be in the product at the time it was released. This is typically an autographed card where the player had not yet signed. Other typical redemptions include rookie cards for rookies that had not played in a game at the time of product release (ie a card for a "Phoenix Coyotes" rookie to be named later, in Artifacts). Redemption cards are one of the most frustrating parts of the hobby as it can take anywhere from a couple weeks to over a year to get the card, depending on when the athlete signs the card. Typically after a certain amount of time the trading card company will allow you to exchange your redemption card for another of similar value if you no longer wish to wait for the athlete to sign.

Example of a redemption card:

A redemption card for 10-11 Contenders Lottery Winners Card #5. In this case, an autograph of John Tavares.

This covers the types of cards you are likely to encounter in this great hobby. Here is also a short list of terms you might run into in this thread:

SP = Short print
SSP = Super short print
Hits = Anything but a base card, also could refer to only a memorabilia card
LHS = Local hobby shop/store
UD = Upper Deck
YG = Young Guns
PS = Private Signings
CR = Crown Royale
HG = High gloss
PC = Personal Collection

Links of use:
Old hockey card thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3344561&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
Box Breaking thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3477424

darkwolf220 fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Now that you know what, here is the why. Why have a hockey card thread? Well, two primary objectives:

1: Show off. Everyone loves to show off their cool stuff. Whether it is intended to just to get some appreciation from others, advertise for trade/sale or garner envy from the masses. A great aspect of the hobby is to show off your cool poo poo. When you post an image of a card you have, you should explain what it is and it's status (for trade/sale or not) For example, this is my current favorite card:

It is an Oliver Ekman-Larsson/Brett Maclean dual patch autograph booklet from 10-11 Upper Deck The Cup. It is not for trade.

This leads into the second primary objective of this thread,

2: Trading. They are called trading cards after all. We have a pretty tightly knit community here and I can personally vouch for the legitimacy of many of the users here, so I would give the usual posters here the benefit of the doubt with trading. Keep in mind there is always some inherent risk to internet trading, be it from shady users or faulty mail service. If you are unsure about a trade, feel free to ask others for feedback on a trader or if you are just too uncomfortable, just don't trade. Trading is, however, a great way to unload cards that are good, but of players you don't have fond feelings for and to acquire cards of players you do like. A primary post of this thread will include the players which our regular posters collect and would want to trade for.

*edit*

And "Why?" leads to "How?" What are the best ways to start or build up a hockey card collection. After all, you can't enjoy showing off or trading if you don't have anything, right? There are several ways to go about building a collection that meet different goals.

1: Buying Packs. This is the old fashion, tried and true way of collecting hockey cards. Buying packs/boxes has a lot of great benefits. First off, it is just plain fun to open packs of cards. It is always a mystery as to what is inside and you can get quite a rush from doing it. Opening packs and boxes is also great for adding bulk. It is a great way to build base sets. There is some down side to merely buying packs. First, it can get quite expensive. Packs of hockey cards range from $1 to, in some cases, $450. Pretty wide margin, and it is all based on what you find in the packs. Your typical low end packs will be between $1 and $5, middle end can run between $7 and $25, high end can run from $25 to $100 and super high end can be over $100. There really is a pack to suit every desire and price point. Another downfall of packs is that it is not very focused. If you are a fan of Team X and Team Y only, the odds of you opening a card you really want is unlikely. You may end up with a lot of cards you don't want and will have to work hard to trade them away or sell them. On the other hand, if you enjoy getting cards from any/most teams, or just love the random factor, this may not be a detriment.

2: eBay and Card Shows. The advent of eBay has changed the hobby greatly in the past decade. It is now very easy not only to sell the cards you do not want, but to locate and buy specifically the cards you do want. No longer do you need to open countless packs to get that one rookie card or insert card that you really want. eBay, and local card shows are a great way to acquire specific cards. This method is great for people who don't care so much for opening packs or getting random stuff and ONLY want the specific player/card/team they are collecting. Buying specific single cards offers the most reliable bang for your buck. eBay doesn't provide a lot of things though. Knowing exactly what you are getting is comforting, but it also takes away from the mystery and drama that can come from cracking a box of cards. You also lose the chance to get something greater than expected. Depending on what card you are collecting, it can also be very costly. One of the best aspects of the hobby, to me personally, is the drama of not knowing what to expect. Every pack is different and you never know what you are going to get. Just ask the people who were in the first large break I did, watching a full case of Pinnacle get opened with nothing too spectacular only to have it come down to the last box and find a Taylor Hall/Tyler Seguin dual rookie auto. That is what, in my opinion, the hobby is all about.

3: Box Breaking. This is a hybrid of the first two. A box break is when several collectors pool in a small(er) amount of money to buy a large quantity of hockey cards and split the results. There are two basic ways to do this. One is by drafting teams, with each person getting each "hit" (rookie, insert, memorabilia or autograph)belonging to the teams they drafted. A second way to go about it is by drafting hits. This usually happens with higher end products where it is just too risky to go by team, therefore instead of drafting teams, all the cards will be opened and the participants will take turns selecting cards. Who goes first is decided by a random number generator. Box breaks usually occur in the form of a live internet stream, so all participants can watch the cards being opened. The host then mails the cards to whomever owns the rights to each team. It is a fun way to interact with others in a mostly-solitary hobby. It is nice to be able to get some social interaction in this hobby. Other great reasons include cost, by breaking with others you can afford to open boxes (like Dominion, MSRP $400) that you couldn't afford on your own, or would be pretty frightened to invest that much in. You also might only be interested in one or two teams. By box breaking, you can pick and choose which teams you get, pay a lower price and still get all the cards from the team you want (Unless someone else gets that team first!). The downside of box breaking compared to the other two is that you are not guaranteed anything. While fairly uncommon, it is possible to pick two or three teams that just miss the mark, even when opening many boxes. To try to minimize this risk, if someone outright misses during one of my box breaks, I usually try to provide them with some form of consolation from my personal collection. I can't always provide amazing things, but I do my best to make sure everyone leaves fairly happy and doesn't feel screwed. Understand though that as with buying packs, there is some risk involved. This is my most preferred method as it allows for the greatest opportunity to get a big hit from my favorite teams. If you are interested in box breaking with the SA group, we are always happy to have new members in the fold, check out the current breaks over in the box breaking thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3477424

darkwolf220 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 1, 2012

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Below are a few brief lists of players/teams that each of our regular users collect:

darkwolf220: Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Shane Doan, Keith Yandle, Mikkael Boedker, Coyotes in general, Private Signings autographs, unique patches

Ashekaban: Kari Lhetonen, Loui Erikkson, Jamie Benn

sba: Aleksey Morozov and Jason Pominville

Rutkowski: Andy Miele, Keith Tkachuk, Keith Yandle,Mike Smith (Phoenix Era),Mikkel Bödker, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Teemu Selänne, Shane Doan, Stefan Liv, Phoenix cards in general

Surmy: Erik Gudbranson, Akim Aliu, Marcus Foligno, Brody Silk, other former Sudbury Wolves

Zorkon: Boston Bruins

Philouza: Wendel Clark, Leafs, Oilers, Goons

Above & Beyond: Jonathan Quick, Dustin Penner

Quantrill: Marc-Andre Fleury, Sidney Crosby, Joe Vitale, Ryan Miller, Rick Nash, Shawn Hunwick, and Mario Lemieux

If you want to be added to this list, please post your personal collected players and I will update.

darkwolf220 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 21, 2013

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011
Excellent thread.

Might i also add i have a huge thing for Eric Wellwood cards, and Surmy collects Jaybo's.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
My order of importance:

Andy Miele
Keith Tkachuk
Keith Yandle
Mike Smith, Phoenix Era
Mikkel Bödker
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Teemu Selänne
Shane Doan
Stefan Liv
Phoenix cards in general

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Whoa, sports cards have become way cooler since I was a kid.

Now how do I convince the wife to let me spend moneys on this? :v:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Tell her packs still cost 50 cents :v:

Seriously though, the hobby is only as expensive as you want it to be.

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT
I like Bruins cards but I don't have much to trade, really.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
You should have made a section for your box breaking thread (explaining what it is, etc), it's kind of an inexpensive way to get into collecting and what not. Otherwise, well done!!

Surmy
May 25, 2010

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Who the hell do I collect?

Well...

Alexander Burmistrov
Zach Stortini
Akim Aliu
Adam McQuaid
Evander Kane
Marcus Foligno
Jim Slater
Tanner Glass
Chris Thorburn
Claude Giroux
Mike Smith

Lesser Collection:
Blake Wheeler
Scott Hartnell
Marc Staal
Nick Foligno
Benoit Pouliot
Matt Martin
Any other former Sudbury Wolves players
Most other current Winnipeg Jet players

Philouza
Jul 20, 2005
I like collecting:
- Wendel Clark
- Leafs
- Oilers
- Goons from any team

I have a handful of cards I'm gonna put up for trade once I get around to it. They'll be mostly from 08/09 sets, I went a little bonkers that year so I've got some decent doubles. I think I have 3 Claude Giroux Trilogy rookies.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
I have a gretzky rookie, i believe its one of only two in my home country.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

feld posted:

Whoa, sports cards have become way cooler since I was a kid.

Now how do I convince the wife to let me spend moneys on this? :v:

Yeah, since 2000 really, sports cards became much cooler than they used to be :) And yeah, the hobby can be really expensive or not very expensive at all depending on how deep you want to get into it. I suggest budgeting a reasonable amount of money to spend on it if you want to get into it again and sticking to it. A lot of enjoyment can be gotten out of fairly inexpensive packs (Pinnacle, Series 1/2, OPC) even if they don't allow for very good odds at something HUGE.

Another great way to bulk up your collection is to participate in box/case breaks. The concept is pretty neat and simple. You pay an entry fee (essentially paying for a portion of the product and shipping) and you will get a certain number of team choices (2 for a 15 spot break, 3 for a 10 spot are the most common types). Then on the day of the event you will get the opportunity to select teams based on your draft position (randomly generated). You will then get every hit (and sometimes base too) from the teams you picked.

The appeal of this system is that with a large number of people putting in smaller amounts, more product can be opened for less cost to each participant. The down side is that you are not guaranteed to get something good. If your team strikes out, I will do my best to get you some kind of card as a consolation, but I can't promise something great for everyone, every time. Same with purchasing $25 worth of packs, you might get something, you might not. But with more product opened, the chances of someone or a couple someones in the break getting something jaw-dropping is much higher. It also lets you be selective about what cards you get. If your favorite team is Chicago and you hate Philadelphia, you can do your best to pick Chicago for one of your teams and avoid Philly. That way you don't end up spending $125 on a box of cards and while you got 4 good cards, they are all from teams you don't like. Meanwhile, with the break format you will be getting every Blackhawks card in 4, 6, or 12 boxes.

I almost exclusively participate in breaks now, and only buy packs/boxes for myself on whim. It is just so nice to know that you will be getting all the cards from your favorite team(s) out of more boxes than you could afford to buy on your own. That is, unless someone else in the break is also a Chicago fan and takes them before you, but that is all part of the fun ;)

sba posted:

You should have made a section for your box breaking thread (explaining what it is, etc), it's kind of an inexpensive way to get into collecting and what not. Otherwise, well done!!

This is a great idea, I will add in the majority of the OP in the box break thread.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
I know it's a long shot, but if the title did remind me.

My biggest "White Whale" is an 07-08 Tyler Weiman Young Guns High Gloss /10. I've been able to find the regular YG, the Exclusives /100, and three of the four printing plates, and I'd love to find the HG.

x

It's also one of the few 1/1s I'm missing of this player.

Edit: Also, I like showing off my collection, but I'm not sure if anyone would want to see an almost complete set of a player no one knows, would anyone be interested?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Unknown players are the best players, it's one of the reasons I have all my game used Toby Petersen stuff. Post away.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS

ElwoodCuse posted:

Unknown players are the best players, it's one of the reasons I have all my game used Toby Petersen stuff. Post away.

Alrighty, I may as well thrown in why as well. :)

During the lockout of 04-05 Colorado was lucky enough to have two championship hockey teams, the Denver Pioneers in NCAA and the Colorado Eagles in the Central Hockey League. Weiman was the rookie goalie who backstopped them to the championship, leading the league in wins, shutouts, and a bunch of other stats. When he had his first rookie cards put out I attempted to collect them all.

Here're the bigger cards.

I'm only missing a few non 1/1s, I do have most of his base rookies and a smathering of plates and autos. I'm hoping to save up and buy one of his gamers from his time in the AHL.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

That is one mighty fine collection :stare: . I will be sure to keep it in the back of my mind that you are looking for that HG. I search out HGs on ebay from time to time to look for steals. Who knows.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
I'd appreciate that. I've seen one on ebay and missed it, and a second on a trading site, but the member (who collects Rangers) won't respond.

Ah well. I'll slowly chip at it for years.

Surmy
May 25, 2010

I've been trying to find a Zach Stortini HG, much to the same luck

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Welp, I didn't come by either of those two, but I do now have the high bid on a Martin Hanzal HG YG to go with my Boedker :)

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I'm lucky enough to have all 3 UD 1/1's that were made of Morozov. You'd laugh your balls off at what I paid for them, but I've got them!

I am missing a handful of his cards to have one of everything, but I've pretty much given up on finding them at this point.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

sba posted:

I'm lucky enough to have all 3 UD 1/1's that were made of Morozov. You'd laugh your balls off at what I paid for them, but I've got them!

I am missing a handful of his cards to have one of everything, but I've pretty much given up on finding them at this point.

Someone is in the process of selling an epic Boedker collection, but his prices are too much for me. But it is pretty nasty, all 4 colors of the Certified autos, all different kinds (including 1/1 rookie) from The Cup.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
And he's probably doing it at the right time to drive the prices up :(

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

sba posted:

And he's probably doing it at the right time to drive the prices up :(

Nah, he has been listing for months. No takers. He wants a BiN of over $200 for the autos and something crazy like $500 for the Cup stuff, even though the patches are pretty meh. I am feeling the heat a little on my OEL collecting though. Prices keep going up and I am balking at buying even though I know he is going to skyrocket next year. Kicking myself so loving hard for missing that Dominion rookie patch/auto that was jersey numbered. 1 day too late... :sigh:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Lumpy I know you said AHL but there are a couple Avalanche Weimans on Meigray that should be $225-250 in a month or so when their summer sale starts.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

darkwolf220 posted:

Someone is in the process of selling an epic Boedker collection, but his prices are too much for me. But it is pretty nasty, all 4 colors of the Certified autos, all different kinds (including 1/1 rookie) from The Cup.

Ask him to sell it off eBay for 90% of the stated cost. You'll pay less, but they'll get more in the long run by not having to pay fees.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

AsInHowe posted:

Ask him to sell it off eBay for 90% of the stated cost. You'll pay less, but they'll get more in the long run by not having to pay fees.

It is still way more than I want to pay. A 1/1 Boedker sticker auto isn't worth $150.

Surmy
May 25, 2010

Random stuff for trade:

ITG Enforcers:
Bob McGill Auto
John Wensink Auto
Reed Low Auto
Paul Laus Auto
Jeff Odgers Instigator 2 Clr Jersey
Frank Bialowas/Tony Twist Jersey

ITG Heroes & Prospects
Keaton Ellerby Jersey
Linden Rowat Jersey
PK Subban / Cody Franson Jersey
Jeff Schultz Game Used Canada Glove
Ryan O’Reilly Auto
Derick Brassard Auto
Erik Westrum Auto
Cristobal Huet Auto
Logan MacMillan Auto
Dana Tyrell Auto
Joey Crabb Auto

11/12 Crown Royale
James Van Riemsdyk All the King’s Men Jersey
Brad Richards Auto
Aaron Palushaj Jersey/Auto Heirs to the Throne
Patrice Bergeron Lords of the NHL Jersey

11/12 Panini Certified
Mikko Koskinen Auto Rookie
Lance Bouma Auto Rookie
Jacob Markstrom Jersey
Henrik Lundqvist Masked Marvels Jersey / 99

11/12 UD S2
Kristopher Letang Canvas
Dimitry Orlov Young Gun
Cam Atkinson Rookie Materials Jersey
Louis Leblanc Victory update Rookie
Erik Gudbranson Victory update rookie
James Sheppard auto

11/12 Panini Limited
Jonas Hiller / Jeff Skinner game presence all star game used mesh 24/25
Corey Perry Banner Season jersey
Kris Letang Red 48/49

11/12 UD Artifact
Paul Stastny Jersey/Patch /65
Christ Stuart auto

10/11 Crown Royale
Derek Sanderson Auto

10/11 SP Authentic
Philip Larsen Future Watch Auto

10/11 Pinnacle
PK Subban Rookie x2
Bobby Butler auto Rookie
Taylor Hall Jersey
Tukka Rask Jersey x2
Alex Tanguay Jersey

10/11 Zenith
Jon Matsumoto Rookie

08/09 Sp Game Used
Kari Lehtonen Dual Fabrics

08/09
Brent Seabrook Jersey

07/08 UD Sweet Shot
Bobby Ryan triple Jersey

07/08 UD Series 1
Corey Perry Jersey
Jonas Hillier Young Gun

05/06 UD Powerplay
Joe Nieuwendyk Jersey
Glen Murray Jersey

05/06 UD MVP
Kenny Jonsson Jersey

03/04 Supreme Hockey
Ryan Smyth Jersey

03/04 Crown Royale
Jeremy Roenick Jersey
Ryan Miller Jersey
Martin Brodeur Jersey
Sergei Fedorov Patch
Blue Parallels(/850) Jason Blake, Alyn McCauley, Daniel Alfredsson, Doug Weight, Todd Marchant, Sean Burke, Patrick Elias, Marian Gaborik, Martin Brodeur, Chris Osgood, Mark Recchi, Martin St Louis

03/04 Prism
Ilya Kovalchuk Jersey

02/03 SPX
Jaromir Jagr Winning Materials Gold 13/15 jersey/stick
Lynn Loyn Rookie Jersey
Mikael Tellqvist Jersey Auto Rookie

01/02 Prism McDonald’s
Saku Koivu Patch 100/239

01/02 Premier Plus
Adam Oates Game used Stick
Rick DiPietro Rookie
Marian Gaborik Rookie
Rotislav Klesla Rookie
Lubomir Vishnovsky Rookie

Surmy
May 25, 2010

Got my stuff from the last break!

Also participating in a live case break of Donruss Elite. Hopping for a good spot. Will update this post as it happens.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Surmy posted:

Got my stuff from the last break!

Also participating in a live case break of Donruss Elite. Hopping for a good spot. Will update this post as it happens.

Great, good luck. The die-cut prime numbers set is pretty crazy. The entire set is in 3 parts, the first, second and third digits of a 3 digit stat number (like total goals, total wins, whatever) The first number is a jersey, the second is an auto and the third is a patch auto. The series is numbered to the number (so if it is 383 goals, the whole set is /383)

But here is the rub: the first, jersey card is printed to the first digit (in this example, 300), the second, auto card is printed to the second (in this example, 80) and the third, patch auto is printed to the last (in this example, 3 :stare: ) Getting a complete prime number would be awesome :cool:

Also, Rutkowski will be glad to know that Elite has Miele and Rundblad rookies and at least Miele rookie autos (probably Rundblad too, but not sure) If you want a Miele auto, there is one on ebay for like $5

darkwolf220 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 2, 2012

Surmy
May 25, 2010

darkwolf220 posted:

Great, good luck. The die-cut prime numbers set is pretty crazy. The entire set is in 3 parts, the first, second and third digits of a 3 digit stat number (like total goals, total wins, whatever) The first number is a jersey, the second is an auto and the third is a patch auto. The series is numbered to the number (so if it is 383 goals, the whole set is /383)

But here is the rub: the first, jersey card is printed to the first digit (in this example, 300), the second, auto card is printed to the second (in this example, 80) and the third, patch auto is printed to the last (in this example, 3 :stare: ) Getting a complete prime number would be awesome :cool:

Also, Rutkowski will be glad to know that Elite has Miele and Rundblad rookies and at least Miele rookie autos (probably Rundblad too, but not sure) If you want a Miele auto, there is one on ebay for like $5

http://thehockeycouple.com/2012/05/01/2011-12-panini-elite-hockey-checklist/ Checklist here

Also, i'm up to two spots, I have no will power....

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Surmy posted:

http://thehockeycouple.com/2012/05/01/2011-12-panini-elite-hockey-checklist/ Checklist here

Also, i'm up to two spots, I have no will power....

What is the cost and where? :3:

Surmy
May 25, 2010

darkwolf220 posted:

What is the cost and where? :3:

http://www.blogtv.com/people/boxrippers 55$ CAD/team, which is the cheapest i've found anywhere. Full 12 box case, only 4 spots left at this point.

edit: And Darkwolf has joined me, good luck to team somethingawful

Surmy fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 3, 2012

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Surmy posted:

http://www.blogtv.com/people/boxrippers 55$ CAD/team, which is the cheapest i've found anywhere. Full 12 box case, only 4 spots left at this point.

edit: And Darkwolf has joined me, good luck to team somethingawful

:hfive:

Surmy
May 25, 2010

New Jersey and Edmonton for me. incredibly lucky at 3 and 4 and Edmonton falling.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Good luck guys.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I've really slacked off on collecting this season. Being in school hasn't done me any favors, and there aren't many card shops close to me. I really need to get to a show and dig through some boxes.

Speaking of which, the Toronto Sportcard & Memorabilia Expo is this weekend. If you can ever get to one of these, it is well worth it. Hundreds of vendors with a ton of both high end and bargain bin cards. It's really satisfying to paw through a box of "AUTOS $5 EACH OR 3/$10" and adding some unheralded gems to your collection. It's also a great place to see some of those high end cards in person and haggle with people. You meet some fascinating people there.

There are also some great perks to it. I haven't been to the show since Panini entered the market, but Upper Deck and In The Game usually do redemptions at the show for breaking boxes of certain products. Upper Deck usually does autographs (I received Peter Stastny and Frank Mahovolich autographed cards from the 02-03 Foundations set for opening some product that year at the show). ITG tends to give away additional memorabilia cards from whatever product you're opening. Three years ago my brother and I opened a box of Heroes and Prospects and received a Sam Gagner super series jersey card, but we also opened Between the Pipes and got a Plante/Price/Halak jersey. Really neat seeing the wool of Plante compared to those god-awful Edge jerseys.

Definitely worth the trip. I believe Beckett also offers grading drop-offs so you don't have to deal with some shipping and handling charges.

Schremp Howard fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 3, 2012

Surmy
May 25, 2010

Schremp Howard posted:

I've really slacked off on collecting this season. Being in school hasn't done me any favors, and there aren't many card shops close to me. I really need to get to a show and dig through some boxes.

Speaking of which, the Toronto Sportcard & Memorabilia Expo is this weekend. If you can ever get to one of these, it is well worth it. Hundreds of vendors with a ton of both high end and bargain bin cards. It's really satisfying to paw through a box of "AUTOS $5 EACH OR 3/$10" and adding some unheralded gems to your collection. It's also a great place to see some of those high end cards in person and haggle with people. You meet some fascinating people there.

There are also some great perks to it. I haven't been to the show since Panini entered the market, but Upper Deck and In The Game usually do redemptions at the show for breaking boxes of certain products. Upper Deck usually does autographs (I received Peter Stastny and Frank Mahovolich autographed cards from the 02-03 Foundations set for opening some product that year at the show. ITG tends to give away additional memorabilia cards from whatever product you're opening. Three years ago my brother and I opened a box of Heroes and Prospects and received a Sam Gagner super series jersey card, but we also opened Between the Pipes and got a Plante/Price/Halak jersey. Really neat seeing the wool of Plante compared to those god-awful Edge jerseys.

Definitely worth the trip. I believe Beckett also offers grading drop-offs so you don't have to deal with some shipping and handling charges.

Hopping to make it down to the Autumn show.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The Toronto Show owns because I got the complete McDonald's NHL trophy replica set with the stand for less than it would have cost if I actually lived in Canada and ate McDonald's while the promo was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

darkwolf220 posted:

They did this in Elite back in 96-97...they weren't Jersey/Auto but the same premise as how numbered the die cuts were. I had the compete Jagr set and the last one was out of 6.

• Locked thread