Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
nothing to see here. just a rusty car

oh :stare:

Saw it in the BMW section at a local you-pull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I had a Subaru come into the shop that happened to. The rotor flopped around and hosed up the ABS tone ring. Surprisingly, not much other damage.
The car had also gone off the road, it happened during hard braking, so that wheel lost brakes and shot the car ring off into the ditch. Fortunately it wasn't oncoming traffic!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

Every time I hear Nitrous or NOS now, all I can think of is retard-ism.
Half the time, "NOS" makes me think "New-Old Stock". I believe it's a symptom of early-onset Lobsterboyxeritis.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

CommieGIR posted:

Every time I hear Nitrous or NOS now, all I can think of is retard-ism.

It's mainly from people who pronounce it "nawz".

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I carry a silver fire extinguisher in my 66 Bonneville (car shows occasionally require them).

I have had a number of kids ask if it was a bottle of nitrous.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 30, 2012

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Half the time, "NOS" makes me think "New-Old Stock". I believe it's a symptom of early-onset Lobsterboyxeritis.

X2. I have the exact same problem. Yo My VW has NOS. Yeah got it from someone's shed. Pretty awesome.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
All this fire talk reminds me of that drat bolt on my Civic's fuel filter; there is a bolt to let you release the pressure in the fuel line before taking out the banjo bolt. When I replaced the fuel filter and put the bolt back in the result was gasoline getting sprayed all over the engine bay; I managed to get it to stop, but in the back of my mind I expect that one day it is going to work itself loose and spray gasoline all over a hot engine.

Cowwan fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 30, 2012

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I learned the nitrous oxide acronym before the new old stock one. So when I read that someone had sourced NOS carbs it made sense, although seemed a bit weird in the context of a rather pedestrian fix-up. NOS brake calipers threw me off...I guess they need to be bigger? NOS door handles...completely lost then.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Cowwan posted:

All this fire talk reminds me of that drat bolt on my Civic's fuel filter; there is a bolt to let you release the pressure in the fuel line before taking out the banjo bolt. When I replaced the fuel filter and put the bolt back in the result was gasoline getting sprayed all over the engine bay; I managed to get it to stop, but in the back of my mind I expect that one day it is going to work itself loose and spray gasoline all over a hot engine.

Rumor has it that your block really isn't going to get hot enough to burn gasoline. Your cat, however...

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

Rumor has it that your block really isn't going to get hot enough to burn gasoline. Your cat, however...

That makes me feel better about it, the cat is under everything.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I had a fuel leak on my home made moped. It's a air cooled two stroke, so the cylinder head gets a lot hotter than the engine block in a car.
Fuel was dripping on the head and actually sizzling and boiling off. I was scared shitless for a minute that it was going to explode. But the autoignition temperature of gasoline is somewhere around 475 degres F, so I guess I was safe... I've never taken a heat gun and actually checked what the head temp is on that, but I'm betting it's considerably lower.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I would worry about exhaust headers and cats but not the block.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cowwan posted:

That makes me feel better about it, the cat is under everything.

Don't feel too good about it. Manifolds can ignite fuel quite easily. Especially if it's atomized from spraying through something that's not quite all the way open. Fuel being sprayed on electrical connectors is another good way to start a fire.

It's nothing to mess with. If you have any doubts as to the integrity of a fuel system component, remedy it as soon as possible. If that bolt didn't feel right going back in, replace it. If you think it might leak, use some fuel safe thread sealer on it (the yellow colored teflon tape works well).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
(he was being sarcastic)

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

InitialDave posted:

There is no cure and it may be difficult on your family, but one learns to live with it. you can have a great life with the correct care and management.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

kastein posted:

I would worry about exhaust headers and cats but not the block.

I remember when I found the fuel leak on my '68 122s. I had just driven home from work and heard a very faint sizzle coming from under the hood as I walked past the car.

Popped the hood and stood there mesmerized as a drop of gas fell from one of the side-drafts on to the exhaust manifold. Drip, sizzle, smoke, drip, sizzle, smoke.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Damned lucky ...

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Occasionally one of the floats on my Datsun S.U. carbs gets stuck open, and it dumps gas directly onto the header while idling or right after I turn the car off. No fires yet.

mutt2jeff fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 30, 2012

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

General_Failure posted:

X2. I have the exact same problem. Yo My VW has NOS. Yeah got it from someone's shed. Pretty awesome.
My old man may have some nitrous sitting around somewhere (he's a retired vet, and his father was a dentist), so I may in actual fact have some NOS NOS.

LobsterboyX posted:

There is no cure and it may be difficult on your family, but one learns to live with it. you can have a great life with the correct care and management.
I just went for the simple solution. I gave up and bought a project car more than two decades my senior.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

flacoman954 posted:

Damned lucky ...

I once backed my GMC out of the garage and thought I smelled fuel. Opened the door, got down on my knees, and saw my Walbro 255LPH fuel pump absolutely soaking the driver's side ehxaust pipe right underneath the cab.

To this day I don't know how it didn't explode.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Karma saved me (ha) from setting my jeep on fire at one point. When I did the motor/trans/transmission swap the stupid quick disconnects on the fuel rail got all boogered up as they were full of rust and wouldn't come undone, so I had replaced the hard plastic part of the line from the fuel rail to the supply line under the manifolds with rubber, after lightly flaring the supply line and clamping it to keep it from backing off...

... it didn't work. I was (iirc, I'd recognize it but couldn't tell you for sure) on I278 or I287 leaving NYC on a Friday afternoon to go home for the weekend and saw a car stopped in the breakdown lane, so I pulled over as I usually do. It was some lady whose car had overheated and blown all the coolant out. I had a couple gallons of bottled water and coolant with me, so I dumped everything I had in it so she could get to the nearest parts store or have her husband pick her up or something. I got back in the truck and tried to start it and it wouldn't run. Just then she got back out of her car and told me that something was pouring out from under the front of my truck. Turns out one of the fuel lines had backed off and was blowing gas all over the exhaust manifold and pipe, it had to have happened just when I turned the truck back on because it ran fine when I shut it off.

If I hadn't stopped to help her, it would have blown off a few miles further down the road, with the exhaust at full temperature (instead of mostly cool since I'd had it off for ten or so minutes while filling up her radiator), and the truck likely would have burned to the ground.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Riding around in my friends 67 Beetle one day it started running bad and me being the mechanic I went out and opened the engine cover to find the fuel line spraying gas all over the engine. It was still running so it was spraying out everywhere. I was is such shock and fear it took me about 5 (long) seconds to start yelling "turn it off, turn it off!". The stupid fuel inlet pipe came out of the carb which is common but we just got the car running hadn't gotten around to wiring it in yet.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

drat, you (& he) were lucky. #1 cause of fires in aircooled VWs is just that. Never, ever put a fuel filter back in the engine compartment...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

PainterofCrap posted:

I carry a silver fire extinguisher in my 66 Bonneville (car shows occasionally require them).

I have had a number of kids ask if it was a bottle of nitrous.

In their defense, a fake fire extinguisher wouldn't be a bad place to hide nitrous.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Until you have a fire.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Disguise a fire extinguisher as a nitrous bottle. Problem solved.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Two fire extinguishers, one holding nitrous and one full of powder.

Nothing bad can come of this.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

kastein posted:

Two fire extinguishers, one holding nitrous and one full of powder.

Nothing bad can come of this.

Waiting for this to show up on youtube.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

thelightguy posted:

Until you have a fire.

Nitrous Oxide makes a decent extinguishing material. It needs compression to get enough energy to de-bond the nitrogen and oxygen. It works a lot like co2 on a fire.

Strangely enough...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nerobro posted:

Nitrous Oxide makes a decent extinguishing material. It needs compression to get enough energy to de-bond the nitrogen and oxygen. It works a lot like co2 on a fire.

Strangely enough...

Surely the heat of an open flame is sufficient energy to debond it? I'm pretty boggled if what you say is true.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Nerobro posted:

Strangely enough...

Noone understands that NITROUS IS NOT THE FUEL.

Edit: and yes you are correct. At the right pressure it will put out a fire.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 1, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Noone understands that NITROUS IS NOT THE FUEL.

yeah, it's an oxidizer. You can put fire out by taking away the fuel, the oxidizer, or the heat... I wouldn't want to spray nitrous oxide on a fire to put it out any more than I'd want to spray liquid oxygen on a fire to put it out.

Maybe I'm wrong here (in fact probably) but it still strikes me as a relatively poor life choice.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

kastein posted:

yeah, it's an oxidizer. You can put fire out by taking away the fuel, the oxidizer, or the heat... I wouldn't want to spray nitrous oxide on a fire to put it out any more than I'd want to spray liquid oxygen on a fire to put it out.

Maybe I'm wrong here (in fact probably) but it still strikes me as a relatively poor life choice.

It's been done for you.

http://books.google.com/books?id=SG...%20fire&f=false

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

kastein posted:

Something like half the horsepower benefit of nitrous oxide comes from the immense charge cooling that comes from the foggers. I don't have the book handy to give you the numbers.

It's not an oxidizer until you break the bonds. :-)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It's been done for you.

http://books.google.com/books?id=SG...%20fire&f=false

excellent. Thanks for the info, appears I am wrong here.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I'm sure this thread is an elaborate troll, but if not this guy needs some serious parking practice. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1908933

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Puddin posted:

I'm sure this thread is an elaborate troll, but if not this guy needs some serious parking practice. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1908933

That's hilarious. I'm 99% sure he just saw that car in a parking lot and snapped the picture.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Godholio posted:

That's hilarious. I'm 99% sure he just saw that car in a parking lot and snapped the picture.

Wouldn't surprise me. Once I was in a semi underground hospital car park watching a car grind its way back and forth along a pole rather violently a few times before the driver got out, locked his car and wandered off as if nothing happened. I don't know if it makes me a bad person but I just hang back and watch when I see something like that unfolding.

Oh...like when one of the ferries in Manly lost control and stated banging into the raised footpath area I was on right in front of me. The railing bits were exploding and there was a huge dent in the front of the ferry. There was a docked jetcat doecked nearby trapped, so they kept it moored and cranked up the engine to try to push it away. Took some photos and got some cash and some good film out of it from a journalist. Totally forgot that happened.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

put out fires with NAWS

My brain just broke. I'm going to start carrying around a bottle of Nitrous for putting out fires now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

My brain just broke. I'm going to start carrying around a bottle of Nitrous for putting out fires now.

I used to have an Halon Extinguisher someone gave me...