Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

thx for allyoop jonny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
tip shat

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

Necc0 posted:

if youre willing to move 45k is almost offensively low even if youre a lovely programmer.

i earn much less =/

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

but then again, since im not hired as a programmer, i just program for my work when business is going slow. sometimes in my spare time b/c its a fun hobby oh my god im getting owned

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Necc0 posted:

if youre willing to move 45k is almost offensively low even if youre a lovely programmer.

That depends on the job market you're at. Around here, 45k is pretty much top of the scale for most developers, although the cost of living is usually much lower because it's far and close to the woods.

Near shoring is an interesting alternative then.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
has anyone mentioned Go yet, the Programming Language by Google??

bc thats okay really i dont think anyone uses it or cares tbqf

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

newreply.php posted:

has anyone mentioned Go yet, the Programming Language by Google??

bc thats okay really i dont think anyone uses it or cares tbqf

http://okcupid.theresumator.com/apply/dLKYbq/Software-Engineer.html

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Ronald Raiden posted:

also, reminder that Anal Volcano still needs to learn some languages that aren't javascript, also that just because you can make lovely 10 year old desktop applications in your browser doesn't mean you should.
Lol i still meet people today who brag about writing complete apps in javascript and my main question to them is why

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

sounds like someone couldn't hack it at state college!

...says the guy who is begging for 45k

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
45k? is that a joke

is not funny

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I asked for and received 60k because I didn't know any better and later got bumped to 72k because company I work for is looking to get an h1b for 71k. So at least in the DC area I guess you can get 75k just for having a CS degree and knowing what an iterator is

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
one of the key systems we deal with at work is our risk management system, which every trade passes through where it's inspected to see how it will affect our exposures in various asset classes, and is accepted, rejected or modified accordingly

as you can imagine this code is a very busy place and vital to get right as too much risk means we blow up the desk and not enough means we gently caress up our bonuses, it's actually a very well designed and written chunk of C where the core switching (concurrency management) logic is about 1200 lines of hand-tuned thread and process management involving custom locks, semaphores and multiple types of ITC/IPC

as a learning exercise I just rewrote it in ~430 lines of much more readable Clojure using nothing but pure functions, which (assuming I interpreted the switching rules correctly) guarantees it's immune from concurrency problems, which account for the bulk of the 700+ unit tests for the core

:stare:

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
clojure is rapidly becoming my favorite language

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

post ur erdos #

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Panic! At The cisco posted:

post ur erdos #

if i actually went back for grad school under the prof who wanted to advise me it would have been 3

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

clojure is rapidly becoming my favorite language

i think i really need to sit down and wrap my head around clojure. i already have a ton of common lisp under my belt but i've never really used java in a serious context

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Panic! At The cisco posted:

post ur erdos #

im #2 from tony hoare irl

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

...says the guy who is begging for 45k
my expectations are low because this would be my first job in the field but as i understand it these guys are desperate for warm bodies

*fingers crossed*

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Nomnom Cookie posted:

I asked for and received 60k because I didn't know any better and later got bumped to 72k because company I work for is looking to get an h1b for 71k. So at least in the DC area I guess you can get 75k just for having a CS degree and knowing what an iterator is

i get 60k just for knowing HTML, CSS, some jQuery and being able to think abstractly and not being an idiot slacker lol

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

my expectations are low because this would be my first job in the field but as i understand it these guys are desperate for warm bodies

*fingers crossed*

swing harder

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
have you said you're unwilling to move yet?

like why are you still seriously gunning for 45k, its embarrassing

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
baby's first salary job

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

TiMBuS posted:

but then again, since im not hired as a programmer, i just program for my work when business is going slow. sometimes in my spare time b/c its a fun hobby oh my god im getting owned

yup

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

TiMBuS posted:

eugh, im missing so much mockables today

wtf arent you smart? get hired and paid for the things you do

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
lua owns

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Fren posted:

i think i really need to sit down and wrap my head around clojure. i already have a ton of common lisp under my belt but i've never really used java in a serious context

if you know clisp it should take no time at all, for me java interop is important, ymmv

I looked at other jvm functional languages/java libs, scala is trying to replace java and does too much imo, java's own functional stuff is an awful bolt-on, functionalJava acts as a bolt on as well, with that approach I can imagine everything written will be traditional java with a few functional bits here and there, not really suited for the complex concurrency problems I'm looking at these languages to solve

add to that the lisp metaprogramming and clojure really does seem to be exceptionally powerful but I haven't actually deployed anything with it yet so take that for what it's worth

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
have you tried actually problem solving instead of expecting a language to save you

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

ahhh spiders posted:

have you tried actually problem solving instead of expecting a language to save you

having the language prevent concurrency issues from even being valid is p sweet

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

having the language prevent concurrency issues from even being valid is p sweet

wow! a real live silver bullet!

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

ahhh spiders posted:

why not both

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

ahhh spiders posted:

it's obviously not 100% panacea but it helps tremendously

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

ahhh spiders posted:

any time you can offload some sort of annoying mechanical process to the compiler, it's a huge win.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Janin posted:

any time you can offload some sort of annoying mechanical process to the compiler, it's a huge win.

what you just said makes no sense. then again, you're Janin

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

ahhh spiders posted:

I know this may be hard to comprehend as a 20 something android developer but once upon a time programmers had to manage their own memory, and it was such a clusterfuck for the average code walloper that languages like java/c#/vb/ruby/python/etc were invented and became massively successful in part because they delivered the silver bullet of not needing manage your own memory

yes you can still get into trouble in those languages if you're dumb about releasing resources but it's literally a million times harder

so yeah these things exist, sorry if your fred brooks book said otherwise

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Janin posted:

any time you can offload some sort of annoying mechanical process to your reports, it's a huge win.
420 get promoted to management erryday

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

ahhh spiders posted:

what you just said makes no sense. then again, you're Janin

there are somewhat modern abstractions around concurrency that makes human management of primitives like locks and monitors unnecessary. if that's beyond your grasp then i recommend reading a lot

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
yeah come on this magic box is taking care of everything and always will and will never fail, come on get with the times gramps!!!

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Nomnom Cookie posted:

420 get promoted to management erryday

i've had managers tell me that i'd make a good manager and my knee-jerk reaction is to shout "OH HELL NO!" and run away

they seriously sit in meetings all loving day

who wants to do that?

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Internaut! posted:

I know this may be hard to comprehend as a 20 something android developer but once upon a time programmers had to manage their own memory, and it was such a clusterfuck for the average code walloper that languages like java/c#/vb/ruby/python/etc were invented and became massively successful in part because they delivered the silver bullet of not needing manage your own memory

yes you can still get into trouble in those languages if you're dumb about releasing resources but it's literally a million times harder

so yeah these things exist, sorry if your fred brooks book said otherwise

lol you're such a condescending moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
seriously loving kill yourself