Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Are you running Iscsi or NFS?

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Corvettefisher posted:

Are you running Iscsi or NFS?

DAS. So it's SAS presenting SCSI LUNs, and the standalone ESXi server just has an extra disk in there for the VM guest.

If I have my way I will be depricating the entire old cluster and replacing it with a completely new cluster that's actually expandable.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

CrazyLittle posted:

DAS. So it's SAS presenting SCSI LUNs, and the standalone ESXi server just has an extra disk in there for the VM guest.

If I have my way I will be depricating the entire old cluster and replacing it with a completely new cluster that's actually expandable.

That is what I am putting together, Do you have a few Gig Switches you can use?

Basically what I was thinking was
x3 R410's with Dual intel X6 Dual Proc's, 32 GB ram, RAID 1 on DAS for ESXi install, 4 intel Gig nics
x2 Dell Powervaults NVX3100 Raid 1 OS 10K disk, Raid 5 15k 10x600 Gig Disks, 4 intel gig nics (you can get eSAS cards for pretty cheap, and pipe your temp backups to your current NAS)
Essitials Plus Kit(or get whatever you need)
=> ~35k

use the other machines for a DR or backup or whatever you want

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 30, 2012

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Corvettefisher posted:

That is what I am putting together, Do you have a few Gig Switches you can use?

Basically what I was thinking was
x3 R410's with Dual intel X6 Dual Proc's, 32 GB ram, RAID 1 on DAS for ESXi install, 4 intel Gig nics
x2 Dell Powervaults NVX3100 Raid 1 OS 10K disk, Raid 5 15k 10x600 Gig Disks, 4 intel gig nics (you can get eSAS cards for pretty cheap, and pipe your temp backups to your current NAS)
Essitials Plus Kit(or get whatever you need)
=> ~35k

use the other machines for a DR or backup or whatever you want
Thanks for this. I didn't know about the NX3100 storage arrays.

Yeah, if I'm going to be dropping coin on VM storage, hosts, and licensing, I'm pretty sure I can get a couple of switches in there too ;)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Crossposting from the IT Certification thread, but someone here works for VMware, right? This is pretty much the biggest pie in the sky request, but if you could, please put a bug in someone's ear that a poorly organized hard to decipher Google Docs (inaccurate) spreadsheet linked from vmware.com is a terrible drat way to get information about schools that teach a VCP curriculum out to prospective students :(

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
^^ Ridiculous, it filters out the riffraff such as myself. If you can't figure out that you're looking at a VMware certified school out of your office window, you're on your own. Bah humbug, I says.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I was checking through the VCP schools list in the OP, are any of those in Western PA near/in Pittsburgh? I don't see anything obviously in PA and Im new to the area and can't tell by the names alone.

If no one has a guess I'll just try asking VMware.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Best way is to call the school and find out or email $head of IT

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well I live a ten minute drive from VMware's Canadian HQ and I can't find a local CC that teaches anything that would work for the classroom portion of the VCP :sigh:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Ah son of a bitch.

Foolishly I've licenced a server, then hosed it without thinking to revert to trial mode beforehand (a complete change of plan in the server's role, so I basically just pulled the drives and made a new RAID array without thinking about it).

So now vCenter is telling me I have no CPU entitlement left, even though of course I'm not using all my entitlement, and of course I already removed the server from vCenter.

Anyone got a quick fix for this clusterfuck?

Haha, apparently it was more trivial than I guessed it might be, and I just closed the vSphere Client and re-opened it and logged back in to vCenter.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:19 on May 1, 2012

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Martytoof posted:

Crossposting from the IT Certification thread, but someone here works for VMware, right? This is pretty much the biggest pie in the sky request, but if you could, please put a bug in someone's ear that a poorly organized hard to decipher Google Docs (inaccurate) spreadsheet linked from vmware.com is a terrible drat way to get information about schools that teach a VCP curriculum out to prospective students :(
I have no idea what this is about a spreadsheet, but try this:
http://mylearn.vmware.com/portals/w...yID,hostID,tzID

You get specifics like this:
http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrreg/courses.cfm?ui=www_edu&a=det&id_course=121821

To earn a VCP it depends on what you already know or have (you could possibly do a fast-track/what's new course), or you can do the whole Install, Configure Manage dealio.

Edit: Unfortunately it looks like most, or all, of the training is downtown Toronto, not local to the Hamilton/Burlington/Oakville areas.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Kachunkachunk posted:

I have no idea what this is about a spreadsheet, but try this:
http://mylearn.vmware.com/portals/w...yID,hostID,tzID

You get specifics like this:
http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrreg/courses.cfm?ui=www_edu&a=det&id_course=121821

To earn a VCP it depends on what you already know or have (you could possibly do a fast-track/what's new course), or you can do the whole Install, Configure Manage dealio.

Edit: Unfortunately it looks like most, or all, of the training is downtown Toronto, not local to the Hamilton/Burlington/Oakville areas.

Those course are all over, and cost $3500. Corvettefisher is taking a class at his local community college for $500. There are other schools that offer similar things: http://www.vmware.com/partners/programs/vap/academy-program-participants.html You can get the courses for cheaper, and they're not some week long bootcamp. I think his are stretched over 16 weeks, so that might work better for your work schedule/learning style.

But it's a link to a spreadsheet which is really awful, and also the whole program makes no sense.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
IT cert courses at community college seem terrible. I looked into them for my VCP and CCNPs awhile back, and they were all 200-260 hours long, which is probably 5x the amount of time I'd need to get it myself studying daily. Not to mention at that amount of hours they all wound up being.. what, 3-5k?

That, plus the fact that they're likely 1-3hr long classes twice a week. Maybe I've been out of college far too long, but I don't think a certification course should take multiple semesters (CCNA Discovery takes two, IIRC).

It seems like there's no good median between CC courses (that take months and months and cost 3-5k) and bootcamps (which are 3 days and you're basically brain dumping).

I'd love to start my own teaching. So many of my teachers were lacking real world experience.

vty fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 1, 2012

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Are there online versions that count as the class requirement for the VCP?

I agree its retarded how you have to choose between CRASH COURSE CORPORATE MONEY BLEED 2k12 versus take forever CC.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I dunno, VCP seems complicated enough that I could see taking a semester. That's 'only' 4 months, which is how much work you should put into a cert to learn it, anyway.

Truly ridiculous, though: the 2 year CCNA curriculum. All the respect in the world to the CCNA, hell I don't have it, but if that thing takes you 2 years, this probably isn't your field.

e: Cisco Fundamentals/CCNA 1
Cisco Router Configuration/CCNA 2
Cisco Switching/CCNA 3
Cisco WAN Configuration/CCNA 4

One class offered per semester. :allears:

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 1, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well quite frankly I'm only looking for the classroom component to satisfy VMware's demand. I like to think that I'm a smart guy, I can teach myself the VCP curriculum without too much trouble.

If it's a question of spending $500 or $3000 I'm going to pick the $500 every time since this is coming out of my under-employed pocket. If my employer was paying? Sure, send me to the $3000 course over a weekend.

I totally get that the classroom component is there to ward off the "paper tiger" crowd and make sure that you actually know something about vSphere, but at the same time not being able to afford a proper classroom training environment is pretty frustrating. Especially in this economy.

As for the CCNA stuff, I'll leave that mostly to the IT Cert thread, but I took CCNA1 and basically dropped out of the rest to do it myself. It wasn't worth my money. If I was a plumber who was looking to get into networking with no background? Then yeah, maybe that would have been a good use of time/money. My only real reason for taking the classroom course was to have an instructor to ask questions.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 1, 2012

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I'm in the same boat and can teach myself poo poo but thats useless if I can't fulfillt he classroom requirement. I don't think anyone teaches it around here anyway, plus I don't really have time since, you know, I have a loving job.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

vty posted:

IT cert courses at community college seem terrible. I looked into them for my VCP and CCNPs awhile back, and they were all 200-260 hours long, which is probably 5x the amount of time I'd need to get it myself studying daily. Not to mention at that amount of hours they all wound up being.. what, 3-5k?

That, plus the fact that they're likely 1-3hr long classes twice a week. Maybe I've been out of college far too long, but I don't think a certification course should take multiple semesters (CCNA Discovery takes two, IIRC).

It seems like there's no good median between CC courses (that take months and months and cost 3-5k) and bootcamps (which are 3 days and you're basically brain dumping).

I'd love to start my own teaching. So many of my teachers were lacking real world experience.
My expirence is the exact opposite of yours VCAP/VCP Teacher and VCP/CISSP/S+/NSA Hold VCAP/VCP/CISSP/RHCE/NSA certs and do day jobs in it.

3-5k? wow, I pay like 500 bucks for a 4hrs + 1hrs lab credit class that includes the cert test usually free or 75% off. Mine take one semester, at tcc the teachers give you more than just what the cert wants so you actually know what you are doing, sure just studying for the test you can do it in a few weeks if you do nothing but brain dumps and multiple choice style study. But you probably won't know much else. Our exam for the VCP(other than the VCP 510) was to build a fully HA/DRS Enviroment + iscsi storage, and networking with vMotion + templates and a few machines that can ping eachother. Which is alot more than you will get in other places.

No idea where you got those numbers from but they are drastically different from my area, unless your numbers are coming from business colleges I can't wrap my head around 3-5k for a class

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sorry I didn't mean to derail this thread into cert talk :(

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Corvettefisher posted:

My expirence is the exact opposite of yours VCAP/VCP Teacher and VCP/CISSP/S+/NSA Hold VCAP/VCP/CISSP/RHCE/NSA certs and do day jobs in it.

3-5k? wow, I pay like 500 bucks for a 4hrs + 1hrs lab credit class that includes the cert test usually free or 75% off. Mine take one semester, at tcc the teachers give you more than just what the cert wants so you actually know what you are doing, sure just studying for the test you can do it in a few weeks if you do nothing but brain dumps and multiple choice style study. But you probably won't know much else. Our exam for the VCP(other than the VCP 510) was to build a fully HA/DRS Enviroment + iscsi storage, and networking with vMotion + templates and a few machines that can ping eachother. Which is alot more than you will get in other places.

No idea where you got those numbers from but they are drastically different from my area, unless your numbers are coming from business colleges I can't wrap my head around 3-5k for a class

Marty actually made me think I was in the cert thread (!). The 260 hours were for each CCNP curriculum, I assumed the VCP was somewhat similar, or at least within 100 hours, but it's actually only 80 or so according to; http://www.austincc.edu/techcert/vmware.php

INEW 2070 VMware VCP Series (80 hours)

But when I look up ACC credit hours, it's still $52/hr, so $4160 for 80 hours. Is this not correct and these technical classes are billed differently? Like I said, I've been out of college a long time, and I never took any one-off technical classes, just followed my curriculum.

I'll gladly pay $500-1k, I'm currently paying $200/mo just for my personal vsphere cluster.

http://www.austincc.edu/cataloghtml/tuition.php

Edit: Nevermind, I tracked it down to a (shocking, another spreadsheet!) list of higher education classes;

Still not too cheap.

vty fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 1, 2012

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Very different my CC only charges this much

this is including the test for basically free, this is the VCAP-DCA course. This include access to a cluster of 6 hosts, 2 highish end netapp servers, and everything the VCAP-DCA/VCP touches

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 1, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Corvettefisher posted:

Very different my CC only charges this much

this is including the test for basically free, this is the VCAP-DCA course

I think you got incredibly lucky, there was one CC in the area (that isn't a VMware partner by the way) that offered the class and it was about $2500.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Yah I checked everything and there is gently caress all around here besides the fast track/5 day courses that are $3495 and up.

Ugh.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Employer is sending me on this fast track course and I sure as gently caress wouldn't pay that ridiculous amount for a vcp but since work is paying...

5 day week drinking in the sunshine downtown.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:
Is this the right thread to ask about VDI setups (specifically Microsoft VDI)?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Guesticles posted:

Is this the right thread to ask about VDI setups (specifically Microsoft VDI)?

What do you need to know? I have a test environment of VDI infrastructe if you need me to test something

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

Corvettefisher posted:

What do you need to know? I have a test environment of VDI infrastructe if you need me to test something

I'm looking into it for a group that might end up using it for a 20 seat call center (out bound surveys), that sees varying levels of use. Primarily web based stuff, but IE is required for one of the web apps.

All of their desktops are up for replacement, so I'm going to suggest they funnel the $20-30K replacement cost into a decent server (or two), thin clients, and maybe have some left over so I can show cost savings like a boss.

Basically, I'm looking for any experience on the ground with VDI, and if someone would give me a double check if I'm forgetting anything. Or if what I'm thinking about doing is a terrible idea.

I know we need a VDA per client. If we have one for each client, am I correct in the understanding that's all the licensing we'd need as far as clients/VMs go?

Giving the environment (One instance of IE with about 5 tabs and an ActiveX plugin, everyone's standard user) I was thinking about virtualizing one 2008R2 instance. Would this be a bad idea?

And if anyone knows a thin client vendor with RDP 6 compatible models, I'm all ears.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Guesticles posted:

I'm looking into it for a group that might end up using it for a 20 seat call center (out bound surveys), that sees varying levels of use. Primarily web based stuff, but IE is required for one of the web apps.

All of their desktops are up for replacement, so I'm going to suggest they funnel the $20-30K replacement cost into a decent server (or two), thin clients, and maybe have some left over so I can show cost savings like a boss.

Basically, I'm looking for any experience on the ground with VDI, and if someone would give me a double check if I'm forgetting anything. Or if what I'm thinking about doing is a terrible idea.

I know we need a VDA per client. If we have one for each client, am I correct in the understanding that's all the licensing we'd need as far as clients/VMs go?

Giving the environment (One instance of IE with about 5 tabs and an ActiveX plugin, everyone's standard user) I was thinking about virtualizing one 2008R2 instance. Would this be a bad idea?

And if anyone knows a thin client vendor with RDP 6 compatible models, I'm all ears.

*cough* use citrix and xendesktop *cough* *cough*

*COUGH* http://www.wyse.com/products/cloud-clients/zero-clients/Xenith *COUGH*

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Nitr0 posted:

*cough* use citrix and xendesktop *cough* *cough*

*COUGH* http://www.wyse.com/products/cloud-clients/zero-clients/Xenith *COUGH*

I've heard mixed things about Citrix, and it was not well liked by the Windows Admin at my previous place (though this was several years ago) who's impression was managing Citrix was a full-time job. I've got other things that need watching.

Just to be clear, I look forward to being proven wrong and having any misconceptions I have dispelled.

(And thanks for the link!)

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Guesticles posted:

I've heard mixed things about Citrix, and it was not well liked by the Windows Admin at my previous place (though this was several years ago) who's impression was managing Citrix was a full-time job. I've got other things that need watching.

Just to be clear, I look forward to being proven wrong and having any misconceptions I have dispelled.

(And thanks for the link!)

What did your windows admin recommend instead? TS/remoteapp? Ha..

vty fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 2, 2012

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Your windows admin must have been an incompetent boob because it really doesn't take any upkeep at all. We have about 400 users on xendesktops and as long as your hosts are properly equipped and reasonable expectations are given to the end users you're not going to have a problem.

Your users are not going to be able to run full screen 1080p videos from youtube but basic video and audio works fine. For some stupid activex application it will work absolutely fine.

Citrix has a lot of stupid little glitches but for a 20 person shop I wouldn't be hesitant to recommend it. Citrix as a company has also grown leaps and bounds from the old days. I still remember administering metaframe servers... Now those were pieces of poo poo. gently caress that.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Edit:^^^^^^ The test our admin ran was with about 16 machines. I'm not concerned about performance, I'm concerned about upkeep/what portion of my day is going to be devoted to cursing Citrix and its thrice-damned spawn.

He did a Citrix test deployment, got it was set up and working properly. But the time required to get it set up, and then manage, was more than his workload would permit. So the project was scrapped, the thin clients sent back, and the lab was replaced with full desktops instead. (Which is sort of where I fear this project might be headed)

He readily admitted he didn't get to use Citrix to full potential. But again, that's because getting set up and managing it became impossible to do with the rest of his duties; his impression was managing and truly utilitizing Citrix would have required about 3/4ths a full time position. Again this was years ago, I hope things have gotten better, but I've got things to attend to that aren't Citrix.

And hey! I'm a windows system admin. (I've worked/work in academia IT, so Microsoft licenses are peanuts.)

Edit2: Definitely worth hunting down a 30 day trial or something tomorrow based on recommendations.

Edit3: Going from time frames, looks like the trial might have been with Metaframe or early versions of XenDesktop.

Guesticles fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 2, 2012

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

For XenDesktop they have an Express trial that is basically just everything pre-configured and good for 10 users. Citrix stuff can be a pain to set up but once it is running properly you should have very little day to day problems. The hardest part is managing user profiles and setting that up properly, and that is the same with any VDI or virtual application deployment.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Nitr0 posted:

Employer is sending me on this fast track course and I sure as gently caress wouldn't pay that ridiculous amount for a vcp but since work is paying...

5 day week drinking in the sunshine downtown.

I'm sitting in this exact class RIGHT loving NOW :hf:

My work is paying for it, of course.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

I have a machine that's a few years old that I was about to install Linux on to mess around with, but I also wanted to try out using it as a VM host, to get some experience using VMs. Even if I don't use it for much, there's no down-side to installing the free VMware ESXi on my server first, is there? Thanks.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Gilg posted:

I have a machine that's a few years old that I was about to install Linux on to mess around with, but I also wanted to try out using it as a VM host, to get some experience using VMs. Even if I don't use it for much, there's no down-side to installing the free VMware ESXi on my server first, is there? Thanks.

As long as all of your hardware is on the VMware hardware compatibility list, nope! And in fact it would probably be very helpful if you plan to get down and dirty with Linux, since you can take a snapshot before you dive in and break everything ;)

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Docjowles posted:

As long as all of your hardware is on the VMware hardware compatibility list, nope! And in fact it would probably be very helpful if you plan to get down and dirty with Linux, since you can take a snapshot before you dive in and break everything ;)
Thank you, I thought as much.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
I'm trying to set up a ghetto VCB backup solution for VMs on my Essentials setup.

My setup
VMWare Essentials 4.1
3 hosts Dell r610s with local SAS storage
8 VMs server 2k8 and win7 and a vMA vm
Synology 1010+ with 4 gigs of RAID5
Servers are already backed up with BE 2012 on the VMs

I've configured vMA and made gotten ghettovcbg2 running to the point where I can create a vmlist file and those VMs backed up to an iSCSI Datastore from one host, and even successfully booted the backup.

My questions:
What's the best way to do the setup on NAS side to allow all 3 hosts to connect?
Should I just connect all 3 hosts to the same iSCSI target or should i say gently caress iSCSI and use NFS shares. (i have no idea about the performance difference between the two when it comes to VMWare)

Ideally I'd like the ability to run the backup of the NAS in an emergency, however it's far more likely that i'd just move the VM onto local storage in the case I have to recover things.

If I can get this going as a POC then I'll pickup a QNAP 859/879 to add to the rack as the target for the ghetto vcb backups.

EDIT: After some dicking around in vcenter I got things set up correctly. It seems the same datastore is now working with all hosts and the gVCB is backing things up cleanly.

Somehow I think synology is confusing their big Bs and little bs here.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 4, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What are the advantages/disadvantages of going with a VDI setup over Terminal server?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

What are the advantages/disadvantages of going with a VDI setup over Terminal server?

Like with View compared to RDS/TS?

How many users?
What are the mostly doing? How much audio/video needed?
What is your existing setup?
Do you want thin clients, zero clients, or reusing old desktops?

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 4, 2012