Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
You now only press the Square button to attack and the game decides which skill will be used for you based on your enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Bit late to the party, but I played Journey on Sunday and it lives up to the hype. Some amazing visual storytelling there.

It was only slightly spoiled by one of my fellow travellers getting us turned around at one point, and I spent 30 minutes stuck in a dead end wondering where I should be going because I had somehow come back to the start of the level and hadn't noticed. Annoying at the time, and very lonely because they vanished and left me there. Once I got back on track, having spent so long along, I was incredibly thankful to run into another traveller when I did.

Totally worth the money, going to let it sit for a while then go back and do it all again. gently caress Ebert, this is art alright.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Shalinor posted:

The only part of Uncharted 1 I will outright say is bullshit on Crushing is the water ski segments. gently caress those. You end up having to pixel hunt at a distance, and just hope they don't get you before you get them. It was horrible, and that's where my Crushing playthrough ended as I recall.

(in regular difficulty, they still suck, but you can mostly do the action movie thing of driving through guns a blazing... not so much on crushing)

Touche. gently caress those segments hard. There was nothing I was looking forward to less on my UC1 crushing run than the jet ski levels. And I played that game through almost four times (once pre-trophies and nearly three times post-trophies to plat).

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Interesting... I actually found the sections between the water ski segments to be a bigger pain in the rear end than the water ski segments (go to the library last night).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DangerKat posted:

You now only press the Square button to attack and the game decides which skill will be used for you based on your enemy.
If mashing the square button did the combo that square square square triangle did in previous GOW games (where he finishes with a big-rear end slap on the ground that knocks the enemy away) I wouldn't need any more than one attack button.

Seriously though SIMPLER combat? What?

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

This Is My Story, Bitches
Not sure where the accusations of dumb-downed combat come from, it looks fairly similar to standard GoW combat, and the gameplay trailer featured six or more different weapons, evasive jumps and rolls, AOE attacks, and all sorts of stuff.

I don't foresee much of a problem. Obviously some of the combat mechanics would need to shift from single player to multiplayer, but I don't really see the contextual execution-style moves being any different than being able to one-shot someone with a rifle or a grenade in a game like Battlefield or Modern Warfare.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Castlevania Chronicles and Symphony of the Night for Playstation Plus users today! :woop: Can't wait, I've never tried Chronicles yet but I love Castlevania.

Also, Trine 2 and Awesomenauts. I've never heard anything about Trine 2, but the artwork looks pretty.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

Seriously though SIMPLER combat? What?

I don't know if this is what they mean but in GoW you can run ridiculously long combos on enemies with long air juggles and such. In multiplayer that would suck because the other player wouldn't be able to do anything for that entire time. If by simpler they mean shorter combos and less super long chains, that would be a good thing.

Or they could have dropped it down to a Lego style "attack button" approach. Which would suck.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

The Grimace posted:

Castlevania Chronicles and Symphony of the Night for Playstation Plus users today! :woop: Can't wait, I've never tried Chronicles yet but I love Castlevania.

Also, Trine 2 and Awesomenauts. I've never heard anything about Trine 2, but the artwork looks pretty.

No Awesomenauts, dude. Developer went bankrupt last week.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

jabro posted:

No Awesomenauts, dude. Developer went bankrupt last week.

Sony announced it was still coming out today for PSN, dude.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

May PS3 Releases

May 2nd, 2012

Sniper Elite V2 (Action/Shooter/Simulation) - $59.99 MSRP

May 8th, 2012

Starhawk (Online Shooter) - $59.99 MSRP

May 15th, 2012

Battleship (FPS, lol) - $59.99 MSRP

Max Payne 3 (Third Person Shooter/Multiplayer) - $59.99 MSRP / $99.99 Collector's Edition

May 22nd, 2012

Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland (RPG) - $49.99 MSRP / 64.99 Collector's Edition (NIS Store Only)

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (Tactical Shooter) - $59.99 MSRP

Men in Black: Alien Crisis (Action/Adventure) - $59.99 MSRP

Sorcery (PS Move/Fantasy) - $39.99 MSRP

Dragon's Dogma (Action/Adventure/RPG) - $59.99 MSRP

May 29th, 2012

Dirt Showdown (Racing) - $59.99 MSRP

Game of the Year Edition 10/10 (Action/Adventure) - 6x10 out of 10s MSRP

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Agrias120 posted:

Sony announced it was still coming out today for PSN, dude.

Also it was the publisher that went bankrupt, not the developer.

Why the gently caress do devs still need to get a publisher for digital-only games? I never understood that.

Harlock posted:

What the hell. This is one of the worst cover I've ever seen.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Harlock posted:

I didn't think they could top Arkham Asylum GOTY with the amount of logos and text on the front of a box.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Not only does it look like a magazine cover but it looks like the cover to Cosmo or something.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Harlock posted:

May 22nd, 2012

Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland (RPG) - $49.99 MSRP / 64.99 Collector's Edition (NIS Store Only)

Anyone have anything to say about Meruru? I played Rorona and had fun with it, but I skipped Totori. Would I be fine picking up Meruru without playing the second one?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Samurai Sanders posted:

Not only does it look like a magazine cover but it looks like the cover to Cosmo or something.

"Batman's top 10 sex tricks!"
"Lose weight with Bruce Wayne's diet plan!"
"Do you want Catwoman's abs!"

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Overlord K posted:

Anyone have anything to say about Meruru? I played Rorona and had fun with it, but I skipped Totori. Would I be fine picking up Meruru without playing the second one?

You won't know who a few of the characters are but plotwise the games pretty standalone. Not that the plots are all that interesting anyway. I haven't played it myself yet but Totori was leagues better than Rorona in terms of general gameplay, and this one looks to be more of the same for the most part.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I can't wait to play 10 out of 10.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
$60 for a GOTY edition? Aren't those supposed to cost at least $50 or something?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Policenaut posted:

I personally gave 10 out of 10 a 9 out of 10 because one corner of it was taken up by something other than a quote. Room for improvement for the sequel.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Someone should make a game called 10 out of 10. You know, like naming your garage band "Free Beer".

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I'm going to buy the Arkham City GOTYE and then print out the cover for Super Bust-A-Move to insert into the case:

Discounting the already mentioned Arkham Asylum, that is the worst cover for a re-release since this:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Discount Viscount posted:

I'm going to buy the Arkham City GOTYE and then print out the cover for Super Bust-A-Move to insert into the case:

Discounting the already mentioned Arkham Asylum, that is the worst cover for a re-release since this:

Wow. That's like one of those dollar store Halloween costumes where it's just a mask of some popular character, then an apron with that character's face on it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Hahaha no loving way. :psyduck:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Policenaut posted:

I played it back before they rebooted the series and still called it "5 STARS"

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

This is hilarious.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

Policenaut posted:

I understand it's to sell the fact that it's a critically acclaimed game and grab a customer's attention, but the critical acclaim should really be on the back with the game description and the rest of the stuff nobody cares about.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I don't know what you're talking about; this is marketing brilliance.

e: Also, I feel like this picture should be posted in the meme thread for some reason.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
PS+ users also get access to the PixelJunk 4am Beta today. However it's a "Viewer Beta," allowing you to "watch and listen to performers across the world create and DJ their own music." :mad:

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Harlock posted:

May PS3 Releases

May 2nd, 2012

Sniper Elite V2 (Action/Shooter/Simulation) - $59.99 MSRP

May 8th, 2012

Starhawk (Online Shooter) - $59.99 MSRP

May 15th, 2012

Battleship (FPS, lol) - $59.99 MSRP

Max Payne 3 (Third Person Shooter/Multiplayer) - $59.99 MSRP / $99.99 Collector's Edition

May 22nd, 2012

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (Tactical Shooter) - $59.99 MSRP

Men in Black: Alien Crisis (Action/Adventure) - $59.99 MSRP

Sorcery (PS Move/Fantasy) - $39.99 MSRP

Dragon's Dogma (Action/Adventure/RPG) - $59.99 MSRP

May 29th, 2012

Dirt Showdown (Racing) - $59.99 MSRP

Hell yeah Harlock, thanks for posting up what we can look forward to! :haw:

This also means it's time for the monthly cover designing bitching!

Blue and orange dominate yet again, with only 3 out of 11 covers not using everyone's favorite color scheme.

Sniper Elite V2 is kind of plain looking, and the way the character holds the gun conflicts with the logo's angle making his weapon look kind of bent. The logo itself is also pretty average and devoid of personality. Not a memorable cover at all.

Starhawk is so busy. We've got planets, Giant mech, a tank, planets, Starhawks flying overhead and leaving line trails, the main character with his back turned around like he got snuck up on by a 20 ton robot about to fire it's orange guns at him. Then they dropped the whole image into a vat of blue. It's not ugly, but it's definitely not unique either.

Battleship makes you think it's just a HD version of the board game, and I don't think the cover hints to the fact that it's a 1st person shooter at all, unless you're playing those alien seeker pods as you launch face first into the battleships. Also surprised they didn't stick any text such as 'From the hit movie', or 'Play as digital Rhianna'. The actual boardgame box cover may be more exciting than this game's cover.

Max Payne 3. This was one I really had to think about, because on one hand there's the go-to orange and blue hues again as opposed to the red and black covers of the previous two games, but the painted movie poster style and the fact that the locale this time is set in a more warm location makes sense. The characters portrayed are kind of odd though, as I can tell there's Max, the girl he has to save and... militia member no. 5? Still, a solid cover that wouldn't look out of place if you hung it on a wall.

Atelier Meruru: They still somehow snuck in blue and orange in the background, in the form of fluffy clouds! :argh: The draw here isn't in the action being depicted but more on the cutesy and stylised anime characters. The fact that the cover of the art book looks much better than the actual box art makes me wide-eyed like an anime girl in wonder as to why they didn't just use that instead.

Ghost Recon Future Soldier: This is the laziest cover of the month. They might as well just do that digitising effect on the logo since that's where that graphic is from.

MIB Alien Crisis: So you have aliens on one hand, and crisis on the other? And why is the MIB character shooting the logo like that? At least the cover reflects the clean, cool feel of the movie posters which in themselves aren't that much better.

Sorcery: Ah, blue. I wonder why they just cut out the background unless you spend your time in Sorcery facing off against a blue screen of death while trolls attack you. The choice to use a purple rune in the 'O' of Sorcery is a poor choice since it just doesn't stand out here. Also the player character is what you would get if you generic-fied a generic fantasy.

Dragon's Dogma has a real monster hunter feel to it which really evokes the fact that you'll be hunting down massive fantasy monsters. The main character and the dragon's angle is a bit off, but it's still a pretty dramatic face off. Not bad, and I like that the logo itself looks a bit Dungeons and Dragon-y too.

Dirt Showdown is set in the desert right? And cars blow up. It gets its point across but it's just not that eye catching of a design, with elements of all kind just thrown on. Maybe it's because of that Giant can of MONSTER ENERGY DRINK ON THE RIGHT.

Batman: Arkham Asylum: Even Batman's annoyed at how much red is on the cover, he's just wiped some off his face. Placement of logo feels like an after thought, and they even put the logo on twice. Makes you laugh, cry, then want to go witch hunting for the cover designer.

So I guess Max Payne wins for actual effort, with Dragon's Dogma as runner up for getting the epic-ness right. Still, covers obviously don't make the game, and Sniper Elite V2 and Starhawk look fantastic if you're a shooter fan.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's funny because someone in this thread actually suggested this very thing, last week:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Please forgive the dumb question, but my googling is limited as all hell while I'm at work. I saw the words "Symphony of the Night" and "free" in that post up there and it's got me wondering, is it now free forever to PS+ subscribers, or just for this month, or what? How does all that work?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Ledneh posted:

Please forgive the dumb question, but my googling is limited as all hell while I'm at work. I saw the words "Symphony of the Night" and "free" in that post up there and it's got me wondering, is it now free forever to PS+ subscribers, or just for this month, or what? How does all that work?

If you have a PS+ subscription, you can download it for free. You can then play it for as long as you want, provided you still have an active PS+ subscription. It's free for as long as your PS+ subscription goes; once it runs out, it's not free anymore, but if you keep resubscribing, it's free forever.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Of course everyone should already have SOTN because it is the Best Game

[I think it was the first thing I bought when I got my PS3, actually]

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Huh, I guess this time the Japanese cover for Dragon's Dogma is the same as the American one. I assumed it would be just a simple black background with the logo and title on it.

Also it has some kind of critic's award on the front cover...even a month before release.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

If you have a PS+ subscription, you can download it for free. You can then play it for as long as you want, provided you still have an active PS+ subscription. It's free for as long as your PS+ subscription goes; once it runs out, it's not free anymore, but if you keep resubscribing, it's free forever.
Yes, but they do alternate each month what the free downloadable games are. So it may be free to download this month, but not be free to download next month. I'm not sure if PS1 games are always free, though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Huh, I guess this time the Japanese cover for Dragon's Dogma is the same as the American one. I assumed it would be just a simple black background with the logo and title on it.

Also it has some kind of critic's award on the front cover...even a month before release.

Doesn't Yakuza pull that too?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yes, but they do alternate each month what the free downloadable games are. So it may be free to download this month, but not be free to download next month. I'm not sure if PS1 games are always free, though.

I pretty much just hop on every tuesday, and either download the free games or at least hit the download button so that they get added to my downloads list for later.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cool, thanks for the detailed explanation. I am a shitlord who doesn't have SotN (and indeed never actually finished it!) so I think this is as good an excuse as any to subscribe. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Doesn't Yakuza pull that too?
Having that award on the cover? I think I remember that, I dunno who gives it or why.

edit: it's these guys I guess. The award with the green logo is called a "future award" and is given at TGS to promising projects.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 1, 2012

• Locked thread