Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

angryhampster posted:

The B-1. I've always been fascinated by them.

There should be two more sitting just slightly north of that one. In the spurs.

I believe that some (all?) of those jets are display jets more or less.

There is also a B1-A escape capsule sitting just inside the fence somewhere from A/C 74-0159 I have no idea where though.

e: It looks like this:

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Alpine Mustache posted:

For the first pass we were inside since it was windy as gently caress and we figured it would go up the river. But no, it went RIGHT OVER OUR BUILDING. For the return pass we all went up on the roof.

There were people on the Gizmodo article's comments talking about how, you know, things flying over NYC only remind them of September 11th, and that makes them sad, and the whole thing was terribly misjudged.

:fuckoff: isn't strong enough.

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0jnahV81AU

That first approach by the 737 is one of the best examples of windshear i've ever seen.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Mobius1B7R posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0jnahV81AU

That first approach by the 737 is one of the best examples of windshear i've ever seen.

That video lead me to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PdUdaXDHm4&feature=related

Scary experiences for the passengers for sure. 2:00 mark is just wild.

azazello
Dec 26, 2008

Godholio posted:

That's the first video I've seen like that which doesn't edit out the C2 chatter. Also, it's AF, which is slightly different from Navy.

The main ones you'll hear are:

BRAA: bearing/range/altitude/aspect angle.
Hostile: The target has been positively ID'd as an enemy and engagement is authorized in accordance with theater ROE (a hostile doesn't automatically mean you can shoot it, but it has to be hostile to shoot at).
Stacked: Within a group (enemy aircraft within 3 miles of each other), there's a significant altitude difference. I think in this video there's a stack of 42k and 36k. The guy at 42k can shoot a longer range, simply because he's higher. It's a cue for the F-15 guy, who might have his soda-straw radar looking only at the lower dude.
Fox #: different numbers mean different types of missiles. 3 is active radar missile (ie, AMRAAM), 2 is IR (Sidewinder).
Reference: They're turning to that heading.
Pitbull: The AMRAAM's radar is locked onto the target and the target is about to be hosed.

A sample call would be: "Cock 01, group BRAA 270/30/32,000, (hot) hostile." Technically hot is assumed unless another direction (like "drag" or pointing away) was specified so it would be left out.

Thanks, this helps! In addition to that:

- When they get to altitude, one calls out "all players, all players, full time, full time". Does that mean the exercise is on?
- The first BRAA callout calls them "cap, hostile". What does cap mean?
- "Strike group is established at the push point" or something like that?
- "South group, beam south"?

Lots of other chatter was hard to transcribe without knowing what to expect...

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
I still chuckle a bit whenever I hear radio chatter involving dudes from the 67th and/or whenever I see a 67th zap.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The checklist for taking off when flying a B-17, courtesy 1942 Life.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

azazello posted:

- When they get to altitude, one calls out "all players, all players, full time, full time". Does that mean the exercise is on?
- The first BRAA callout calls them "cap, hostile". What does cap mean?
- "Strike group is established at the push point" or something like that?

"Vul time vul time" - AF speak for "Fights on"
Cap - that group is orbiting at a point
strike group...: they are the start of their strike route
S GRP, Beam S: the southern group (multiple radar contacts get labeled and named so everyone knows who everyone else is talking about), is 'beaming'. From that brevity code link - "Target stabilized within 70 to 110 degree aspect; generally (direction) given with cardinal directions: east, west, north, or south." - aka, not pointing at the fighters anymore, but not running away either

Geizkragen fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 30, 2012

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

azazello posted:

Thanks, this helps! In addition to that:

Vul (as in vulnerability) time...similar to "fight's on." The difference is with fights on/knock it off, every engagement is a separate event. "Knock it off" ends the entire thing, they may choose to reset and start over, or not. A vul fight is more a continuous thing, they won't end the war every time. If someone dies, they fly to a specific point and usually come back to life. There are specific learning objectives, and the appropriate type of engagement is selected based on that.

quote:

- The first BRAA callout calls them "cap, hostile". What does cap mean?[quote] As mentioned, a CAP is basically an area they're orbiting.
[quote]- "Strike group is established at the push point" or something like that?
Also covered.

quote:

A beam is a maneuver the adversary does to turn perpendicular to the good guy. It's usually an attempt to avoid getting shot without straight up leaving. When they feel safe, they'll usually turn back in and reengage.

quote:

A lot of the comm is sort of like comparing notes. The AWACS will say what they see, the fighters will fill in anything additional that they have, or vice versa. For example, the AWACS scan rate (every 10 seconds) is a lot slower than the fighters' scan rate (depends on mode, but fractions of a second). So the AWACS will call off the north group's position, and the fighters may see that the adversary has turned...that's when you may hear a "north beam south" or something like that.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

iyaayas01 posted:

I still chuckle a bit whenever I hear radio chatter involving dudes from the 67th and/or whenever I see a 67th zap.

Fun Kadena story:
Typically AMU's refer to themselves by color (at Kadena it was blue for the 44th and red for the 67th) so typical radio chatter would start with "Red super, red two..."

Well one weekend the weekend duty crew was in (another fun Kadena fact, the F-15 weekend duty crew is there 90% of the time!) babysitting a jet for fuel shop. Why have a half dozen crew chiefs sit around on a Saturday while another shop did work? Well for one a fuel shop guy isn't going to remove a panel with a dozen screws himself, and -21 streamers aren't going to change themselves either -- this is literally what they had us doing, changing streamers on -21 equipment (for those not in the know, -21 is the red covers you see on things like antennas and pitot tubes we were replacing the 'remove before flight streamers'.)

The E-5 running the duty for his part tried to keep our spirits up, he bought us lunch at CoCo's and was generally chill. We were doing busy work on a Saturday but we were having fun with it. Around hour 9 (of what would become a 12 hour shift) he starts saying cock instead of red in his radio calls. It was funny (heheh cock) but everyone remained professional on the radio.

Monday morning the six of us are called into the production super's office and were given a lecture about professionalism and proper radio conduct.

The moral of this story (and many others I have about the place) is that the 18AMXS is a lovely, terrible assignment which all but ruined my time on Okinawa.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
Man that's bullshit. Our maintainers use the same cs we do on the radio because its just simpler. Instead of XXXX 1/2/3/4 etc, it's XXXX Maintenance/Deck/Line etc.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

angryhampster posted:

That video lead me to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PdUdaXDHm4&feature=related

Scary experiences for the passengers for sure. 2:00 mark is just wild.

No passengers aboard the one at 2:00, that's Boeing testing the 777's (you can see it's in factory livery) crosswind capability somewhere in South America. Not to say it doesn't look badass!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Geizkragen posted:

Man that's bullshit.

The 18th AMXS in a nutshell.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The 18th AMXS in a nutshell.

From what I've heard that's basically the entire 18th MXG in a nutshell. Regarding call sign fun, folks up here have been known to gently caress with the 525 AMU dudes...their call sign is "Bulldog," so folks will respond with "Chihuahua."

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20120501/westjet-bombardier-120501/

Well, Westjet decided on the Dash-8 Q400 for the commuter service it's expected to launch next year.

In other news, I predict 5 years until it declares bankruptcy.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This looks like it could be a cool documentary:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sho...Show+Tracker%29

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

They put an ejector seat in the 727 and it was live flown? :clint:

I assumed it would have been remote.

Sensationalist too, but I agree it will be interesting.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think that the pilot just bailed before the crash.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I first thought that would be really stupid from a 727 given the rear engines, but they probably just removed the Cooper Vane and lowered the stairs (thus making a 727 an awesome aircraft to jump from).

Actually, I wonder why somebody like Zero G doesn't offer jetliner skydiving?

Edit: Oh God, I know better than to read comments, but drat. People are saying Fox wasn't allowed to do it because they're conservative and Discovery was only allowed because of liberal favoratism.

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 1, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Never read the comments to anything :negative:

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Advent Horizon posted:

I first thought that would be really stupid from a 727 given the rear engines, but they probably just removed the Cooper Vane and lowered the stairs (thus making a 727 an awesome aircraft to jump from).

Edit: Oh God, I know better than to read comments, but drat. People are saying Fox wasn't allowed to do it because they're conservative and Discovery was only allowed because of liberal favoratism.

Exit speeds would still be pretty high...

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
If they were smart, they could have squeezed 2 episodes out of that, one for survivable plane crashes and the other for D.B. Cooper badassness.

We used to squeeze shots like that off for the history channel just because they may have use for it in the future.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

That would be the ultimate Dan Cooper show, wouldn't it? Throw Survivorman out the back on a story winter night and see where he ends up!

No, wait. I like him. Throw Bear Grylls.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Advent Horizon posted:

MX costs on jetliners is costly. There used to be a 727 that was used for skydiving boogies (big jumping gatherings). Skydive Perris in Southern California has a DC-9 that is grounded because the engines timed out (IIRC).

Plus exit speeds are honking.

Edit: A jet is so on my list of a/c to jump. My jump from a B-17's bomb bay is still my favorite.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The Electronaut posted:

My jump from a B-17's bomb bay is still my favorite.

Please tell me that you have film of this somewhere

(edit) :flashfap: (in low voice)
show me more

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 2, 2012

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

Please tell me that you have film of this somewhere

Yea. Reduced size screencap of me coming out.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The Electronaut posted:

This should've been the loving first reply to the thread.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I needed a second look to see that those were legs rather than bombs.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
Thats rather funny, i was just thinking about how cool it would be to jump out of a b-17... and even funnier still is the fact that the aluminum overcast, the plane you jumped out of was here this weekend...

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

B-17 :toot:

Bonus B-25 humour

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

The Electronaut posted:

Still jealous as poo poo. Did you hear about the boogie in Hungary? They are using a loving Mi-8!

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

Thats rather funny, i was just thinking about how cool it would be to jump out of a b-17... and even funnier still is the fact that the aluminum overcast, the plane you jumped out of was here this weekend...

I jumped from "Nine-o-Nine":

Tremblay posted:

Still jealous as poo poo. Did you hear about the boogie in Hungary? They are using a loving Mi-8!

Yea, that would be a cool jump. A Chinook would be cool too.

Edit:

Godholio posted:

This should've been the loving first reply to the thread.

I've posted that pic and others from that jump before and my shot of myself under parachute with shuttle Discovery in the background on its last mission; I don't want to be a one trick pony spamming the thread.

The Electronaut fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 2, 2012

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Jesus Christ man, it's a great plane, why leave the ride?

Also I've heard astronauts say they can see the curvature of your balls from outer space.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Weren't there some dudes that jumped out of a Mi-26 (world's biggest chopper)?

Fake edit: yup, 200+ individuals jumped.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
The one helicopter jump I've done was a Bell 407 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_407 ) with a pilot who drove it like he stole it: nap-of-the-earth speed run over the land and inter-coastal before hauling up to 10k feet.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

CNN has video of that 727 crash from a mile or so away
http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c3#/video/bestoftv/2012/05/01/nr-discovery-plane-crash.cnn

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

slidebite posted:

CNN has video of that 727 crash from a mile or so away
http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c3#/video/bestoftv/2012/05/01/nr-discovery-plane-crash.cnn

Is the page down for anyone else? I can't get it to load, even when I go through the main CNN page.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Hey is it the ww2 bomber page?

Hell yes it is.

DSC_0792.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0794.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0799.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0804.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Mr. Despair posted: