Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

BasicFunk posted:

I was scrolling through the news when I saw this Maria Burns Ortiz article on the lack of Latinos in the NFL Draft.

What the hell is this? If there were great football players being held back, then I could see the need for an article of this nature, but that's not happening as far as I know, and if it is, she missed a great opportunity to tell me about it. If you're good at football, you'll get drafted. Did somebody do a story on the lack of Asians in the draft?

NFL teams would draft a three headed Martian if he scored high enough on the Wonderlic. I seriously doubt a team would pass on a great prospect just because of race.

edit: Now this is a comment:

quote:

The NFL draft is lacking Latinos??

It doesn't take a rocket-scientist to understand 'why' they're lacking Latinos, and it's for a multitude of reasons; a vast majority of Latinos are small in stature so they lack size, strength, agility, and ability. They should stick to nacho-libre style wrestling...

haljordan fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 26, 2012

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm pretty sure I more or less started the Skip Bayless is an often funny troll bandwagon, and I think it's way overboard at this point.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

MourningView posted:

The number of people in SAS who regularly watch mid-day ESPN talk shows is very distressing to me.

I think we have a lot of unemployed people in SAS. That's the only excuse I can come up with...

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

jeffersonlives posted:

I think we have a lot of unemployed people in SAS. That's the only excuse I can come up with...

Also lots of college students, but that is the really the least of the things wrong with it. Surely you can find something else to do. Like like literally anything else. Go read a book or learn how to do woodwork or something.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

No Safe Word posted:

It reeks of Stockholm Syndrome to me more than anything.

Forum with over-the-top bad opinions seeks to characterize man with over-the-top bad opinions as humorous, quality commentator. :v:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
A debate about the quality of various subforums is a super awesome and on topic discussion that surely will not lead anywhere dumb.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

MourningView posted:

Also lots of college students, but that is the really the least of the things wrong with it. Surely you can find something else to do. Like like literally anything else. Go read a book or learn how to do woodwork or something.

I work from home half the week and the afternoon block of Number's Never Lie, Dan Lebetard's trainwreck of a show and Around the Horn / PTI are perfectly fine background noise. ESPN's first take on the other hand is at best sufferable in about a 2 minute dose once a week or so.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

haljordan posted:

NFL teams would draft a three headed Martian if he scored high enough on the Wonderlic. I seriously doubt a team would pass on a great prospect just because of race.

If Al Davis were still around, the Wonderlic score wouldn't even matter.

"His 40 time was 3.93? That's our guy!"
_____________________/

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
I get that this is what Skip does but today he said "I know all about RGIII. He STRUGGLED his first four games."

RGIII first four games stats: 92-112 (82%), 18 TDs, 1 INT

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
His TD-Incompletion ratio was barely over 1:1, that is pretty shameful.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Frot Lesnar posted:

I get that this is what Skip does but today he said "I know all about RGIII. He STRUGGLED his first four games."

RGIII first four games stats: 92-112 (82%), 18 TDs, 1 INT

Pffff, 82%? What happened to the other 18 percentage points?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Here is a pretty bad article from Heyman

quote:

Albert plays lame blame game, points finger at embattled hitting coach

By Jon Heyman | Baseball Insider

Ah, now we have finally gotten to the bottom of Albert Pujols' stunning early season hitting issues. It isn't the pressure of his new huge contract. It's not the heavy air of Orange County, either. Nor is it an adjustment to a different league with different pitchers.

No, it's Mickey Hatcher!

Yes, Hatcher, the Angels' kind, upbeat, even inspirational hitting coach is to blame for Pujols' surprising batting woes. And it's not because of any particular hitting tip gone awry, either. It's because Hatcher has loose lips.
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heyman/18920865/albert-plays-lame-blame-game-points-finger-at-embattled-hitting-coach

I guess it is a blog post. I don't know.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

so the Angels hitting coach conveys some dumb little anecdote about a team meeting

Pujols says "with all due respect to [hitting coach], that should've been private"

Heyman somehow makes this into "PUJOLS BLAMING HIS STRUGGLES ON THE HITTING COACH"

loving hack piece of poo poo

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
It's actually an Arte Moreno hit piece at heart I think

quote:

And don't think the Angels won't can Hatcher, either. The Angels have a recent history of blaming the little people. Or at least of firing them.

The Angels fired scouting director Eddie Bane not too long after he picked future superstar Mike Trout with the 25th pick in the draft. They fired longtime trainer Ned Bergert, the fellow whose quick thinking in the team's bad 1992 bus crash spared further pain and suffering and earned him a promotion to head trainer at the time. They've fired tens more, too, in Arte Moreno's reign.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Yeah. And "journalistically," fewer people will care about staff members getting fired seemingly on whim than they will about the potential controversy between one such staffer and a star like Pujols. So the two are tied together under the header of what will catch more eyes. Selling papers/getting page views, all in the process.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Apparently a C-list columnist at ESPN is running scams on teenagers.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
I don't really get the deduction there. She originally pretended to be a hot girl. Then she turned out to be ... a hot girl?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

BackInTheUSSR posted:

I don't really get the deduction there. She originally pretended to be a hot girl. Then she turned out to be ... a hot girl?

A hot girl who scams people for thousands of dollars.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
I actually thought that article was pretty drat good. I feel bad for that kid, though I can't stand memes in any capacity.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Now former C-list columnist

quote:

Update, 6 p.m.: Sarah Phillips has been let go by ESPN. An ESPN spokesman just told me: "We've ended our freelance relationship with her."

edit: and her latest twitter post is

@SarahPhilli posted:

:(
https://twitter.com/#!/SarahPhilli/status/197443321092784128

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

Mornacale posted:

A hot girl who scams people for thousands of dollars.

I meant in regards to the identity fabrication. That just seemed like a very unnecessary lie. I thought fake identities were mainly used if you were A) A dude pretending to be a woman, or B) An ugly guy/girl pretending to be a better-looking guy/girl.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I hope the whole story comes out about whatever the gently caress is going on there. I'm left with more questions than answers. :psyduck:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

BackInTheUSSR posted:

I meant in regards to the identity fabrication. That just seemed like a very unnecessary lie. I thought fake identities were mainly used if you were A) A dude pretending to be a woman, or B) An ugly guy/girl pretending to be a better-looking guy/girl.

Well, I imagine that if I were planning to lie to and screw over several people, I'd do my best to keep them from learning the details of my identity.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

Mornacale posted:

Well, I imagine that if I were planning to lie to and screw over several people, I'd do my best to keep them from learning the details of my identity.

You'd think she wouldn't have folded so easily then, if that were the case. She started using her real photo (or what we assume now is her real identity) really early on, according to that article, and then recently has embraced doing video work. It's just an odd about-face considering she continued on with the scam.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
hey ESPN do you want to hire some of the posters from the CFB off-season thread next, we have falsified documents and a huge backlog of columns the theses of which are "gently caress Aggy lol"

Gendo has the graphic design on lock

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Hire The Goon Hivemind.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I am stunned and amazed that, of all the people to bring in a scam artist to ESPN, Lynn Hoppes was the starfucking idiot responsible for this whole incident.

He is truly the worst thing about that whole enterprise.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Mornacale posted:

Hire The Goon Hivemind.

pick up Your Prospects Suck

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

The broken bones posted:

pick up Your Prospects Suck

I'd like to encourage people to ask myself or Leokitty for information if you're honestly interested in Writing Stuff for YPS. I still have a notepad of ideas for themes, etc. to cover.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

SporkOfTruth posted:

I'd like to encourage people to ask myself or Leokitty for information if you're honestly interested in Writing Stuff for YPS. I still have a notepad of ideas for themes, etc. to cover.

Yes.

My roadblock is not making a thing, it's having the inspiration to make a thing. I am still super happy I managed to write almost 3 things last year.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

SporkOfTruth posted:

this is just to say

by barry lamar barry

I have dingered
the balls
that were in
the strikezone

and which
you were probably
saving
for jeff kent

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so low

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

this is just to say

by barry lamar barry

I have dingered
the balls
that were in
the strikezone

and which
you were probably
saving
for jeff kent

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so low

well, that was well done

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

hcreight posted:

I hope the whole story comes out about whatever the gently caress is going on there. I'm left with more questions than answers. :psyduck:

This. Deadspin is rocking this story though.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
This poo poo is getting a lot more bizarre. Apparently Sarah Phillips is also the owner of Condescending Wonka twitter.

http://deadspin.com/5906849/sarah-phillips-admits-she-concealed-her-identity-made-poor-choices-with-who-to-trust?popular=true

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Deadspin has risen to must-read status tomorrow.

This is crazy. A number of Oregon media members are trying to figure out what's going on and whether or not they can write about it as well. Someone's going to get found out.

Smashlampjaw
Aug 16, 2008
AA has a interesting article up on how all these twitter "parody" accounts are connected.

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2012...itterverse.html

Smashlampjaw fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 2, 2012

Good Will Punting
Aug 30, 2009

And as the curtain falls
Just know you did it all except lift weights
The greatest trick Sarah Phillips ever pulled was convincing the world that Deadspin was worth reading two days in a row.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I kept trying to get through all that and failed every time. So a woman with a gambling blog who runs meme sites got hired by ESPN and then conned another guy with a meme site by having him email other people at ESPN that don't actually exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Smashlampjaw posted:

AA has a interesting article up on how all these twitter "parody" accounts are connected.

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2012...itterverse.html

After reading that, it has become apparent to me that I don't know anything about anything and I never will because the universe is too weird.