Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

Pleads posted:

I blocked a slapper off the front of the ankle a while back that collapsed me to the ice. Hobbled off, didn't miss a shift, had to take some NSAIDs leftover from a previous injury so the swelling would go down because it was cutting off circulation to my foot.

About a month later it was still kind of swollen, and I noticed a weird bump. I now have a permanent little bone spur on the front of my ankle from that shot. At least the month-late xrays confirmed I hadn't been walking around on a broken ankle :woop:

Even some of the shaky beer league defenseman we play have cannons.

Yeah, one of the guys on D for our team has like no puck handling ability but he's got a rocket of a shot. The 110 flex he uses might have something to do with that. At least once during the game someone will get in front of his shot and fall down. He keeps it low, which is a good thing, but I always grimace when I see someone fall and kind of limp off the floor.

Is there a general consensus on the "worst" place to get hit? Not talking about in the amount of possible damage, like the throat, but like that'll hurt for a long time to come. Worst I've had was the top of the foot, that was sore for at least 2 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
How do you guys block shots? I was always taught to not leave your feet...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Awesome Animals posted:

I try to remember to do the "put your heels together and stand square between the puck and the net" which is supposedly the safest block, but sometimes I get into this "gotta stop the puck no matter what" mode and fling any body part that's available at the puck. I've even caught myself trying to put my hand in the way which is just loving stupid.

Watching NHLers who turn 90 degrees to the direction of the shot and drop to one knee seems effective, but also seems to be where a lot of those horrible bruises come from.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

cenzo posted:

Is there a general consensus on the "worst" place to get hit? Not talking about in the amount of possible damage, like the throat, but like that'll hurt for a long time to come. Worst I've had was the top of the foot, that was sore for at least 2 weeks.

Balls. Definitely the balls. Not even up for debate. I got hit with a wrister once a few seasons ago and even with a cup I fell over like a sack of potatoes and felt like puking.

Awesome Animals posted:

I stand square to the shooter, legs together, one hand over the goods, chin down and hope I take it in the shins.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

cenzo posted:

Yeah, one of the guys on D for our team has like no puck handling ability but he's got a rocket of a shot. The 110 flex he uses might have something to do with that. At least once during the game someone will get in front of his shot and fall down. He keeps it low, which is a good thing, but I always grimace when I see someone fall and kind of limp off the floor.

Any joint that is relatively unprotected like the insides of the knee or the back of your knee where there isnt a lot of protection. Anything above the waist. I was on a team where one of our forwards turned away from a shot, and it clipped him in the taint/back of the balls. We didn't see him for a few games. You want to talk about dropping someone in their tracks. He fell like a dead deer.

Some of the most painful shot blocks come from people making stupid attempts at blocking in my experience. People who tend to flamingo (one foot up) tend to get hit in the top of the foot which will hurt like a bitch for a long time and can easily break bones given how small they are and how many there are in that area. Turning away from a shot is going to be 10x worse than just staring at it head on. Hockey pads are designed to protect the front of your body, from your skates, shins, pants, and shoulders. Most of the padding is in the front so you should stare at a shot versus turning away from it.

I've taken shots to a few random places. Last year I accidently blocked one of my D from a beautiful one timer with the side of my thigh (playing roller). I had a gobstopper bruise for weeks and my leg was sore for a while. I've stopped a shot with the inside of my forearm. I couldn't grip my stick for a little while but it went back to normal. Also had a few ring off the cup which is always a great feeling.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

xzzy posted:

I try to remember to do the "put your heels together and stand square between the puck and the net" which is supposedly the safest block, but sometimes I get into this "gotta stop the puck no matter what" mode and fling any body part that's available at the puck. I've even caught myself trying to put my hand in the way which is just loving stupid.

Watching NHLers who turn 90 degrees to the direction of the shot and drop to one knee seems effective, but also seems to be where a lot of those horrible bruises come from.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Balls. Definitely the balls. Not even up for debate. I got hit with a wrister once a few seasons ago and even with a cup I fell over like a sack of potatoes and felt like puking.

I stand square to the shooter, legs together, one hand over the goods, chin down and hope I take it in the shins.

Alright, that's how I was taught as well. Especially if you are going out to the point. When you block a shot to the shins, the puck bounces into the neutral zone and it becomes just you and the keeper baby (since you never left your feet).

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

cenzo posted:

I wonder if I bring this up at the next game, people will listen and attempt to fix this.

Teams turn on the pressure on themselves to score because it's a PP and the clock is ticking so they force stuff. If you can get a lower level team to not worry about scoring and have the mentality/confidence that if they get quality scoring chances, they will end up scoring enough goals to win, then your PP can become the best time to pause, take a second, find that open man and create that good opportunity.

I dunno if that makes sense, I just see a ton of teams take the powerplay and try to just chuck stuff on net or force a cross ice pass that gets intercepted by any competent team playing any sort of box rather than using the time to make the other team be out of position and create an advantage and easy goal.

It's always funny to see teams have a breakout fall apart on the PP. Take your time, use your head and your eyes, and use the extra person to your advantage!

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Pleads posted:

I blocked a slapper off the front of the ankle a while back that collapsed me to the ice. Hobbled off, didn't miss a shift, had to take some NSAIDs leftover from a previous injury so the swelling would go down because it was cutting off circulation to my foot.

About a month later it was still kind of swollen, and I noticed a weird bump. I now have a permanent little bone spur on the front of my ankle from that shot. At least the month-late xrays confirmed I hadn't been walking around on a broken ankle :woop:

Even some of the shaky beer league defenseman we play have cannons.

That last part is an important thing to remember. Even guys in low level leagues can shoot hard. They can't do it with the consistency or accuracy of the pros, but a lot of guys have a false sense of security when skating against lower level players. Just out of curiosity how much protection and padding do shing guards provide and does it vary considerably from low to high end shin guards? Do you guys typically feel anything when you block a shot with your shin guards?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I only feel a thud when stuff hits me in the shins. I haven't taken any full throttle slapshots though.. mostly because I don't play with anyone that can launch a slapshot that close to the ice. :v:

But I bought big loving super stupid thick guards. I see guys with thin dealies that dive like bowling pins to get away from incoming shots because they have such poor protection on.

I did have a guy nail me with one of those blue pucks a ways back, which I thought was funny. They really spring off the stick fast but the reduced density means they have much less force behind them.. hit me in the thigh and I barely felt it.

sevorak
Apr 27, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

:words: about Sharks Ice

There were a couple guys on my beer league team who played in that tournament too. They had a similar experience with sandbaggers in the novice division. Looks like they had a -17 differential and were in Novice Green.

Which rinks did you play on? Everyone complains about the center rink but the other three are decent, depending on how much effort goes into cutting the ice before the game. Usually they let the ice freeze for 5-10 minutes before they let us out for the warmups, but that can swing either way depending on how long the previous game took. For lower level adult league periods are 20 minutes of running time, and I think the upper levels are 15 minutes with actual clock stoppages, so the 13 minutes was just for the tournament probably.

Where do you normally play? Are you one of the SoCal goons? I lose track of where all you people play. It's funny to hear how nice our ice is when so many people that play here complain about it. Well, the center rink at least.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Aniki posted:

That last part is an important thing to remember. Even guys in low level leagues can shoot hard. They can't do it with the consistency or accuracy of the pros, but a lot of guys have a false sense of security when skating against lower level players. Just out of curiosity how much protection and padding do shing guards provide and does it vary considerably from low to high end shin guards? Do you guys typically feel anything when you block a shot with your shin guards?

I'm not at all worried about taking shots to the front of the shinguards but skates/ankles/back of legs are dicey.

e: Getting hit in the shins is just kind of a "clunk" feel, no discomfort.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Thufir posted:

I'm not at all worried about taking shots to the front of the shinguards but skates/ankles/back of legs are dicey.

e: Getting hit in the shins is just kind of a "clunk" feel, no discomfort.

Ok. I never skate out, so I'm always curious how well player protective gear works. Assuming that you are someone who blocks a lot of shots, would you ever wear those lexan skate feet protectors?

One thing I've always wondered is why so many skaters choose to not wear shoulder pads? I'm sure it's cooler and gives them a better range of motion, but how often do you guys get hit, particularly wit a puck, in the upper body?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hopefully never because the shoulder pads I do have give just about zero in terms of torso protection.

If I ever start playing in higher level rec leagues, skate protectors are definitely on the shopping list. Even slow pucks in the foot hurts, even if there's no bruise.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So all this talk of commonly being hit by the damned puck has me rethinking my arrogant ":smug: gently caress this, I aint wearing a cage to the clinic" attitude. I guess it will be better for me in the long run anyway since I absolutely need a cage when I get decent enough to play in even the lovely leagues.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's fairly easy to avoid getting nailed by pucks if that's not your thing. It's rec league, no reason to be limping at work tomorrow because some Chara wannabe put a cannon into your nuts.

But I've always been defensive minded, and have made a habit of getting in front of shots. If I had any flexibility and could handle the responsibility I'd probably play goalie.. but I'm not so I do the next best thing.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I almost never get hit by pucks in the upper body with any speed. I've had pucks deflect into my cage a few times though. Got a stick to the cage in my last game too.

e: I do wear shoulder pads but they don't cover all that much.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Aniki posted:

One thing I've always wondered is why so many skaters choose to not wear shoulder pads? I'm sure it's cooler and gives them a better range of motion, but how often do you guys get hit, particularly wit a puck, in the upper body?

It's a range of motion thing for me. It's very difficult to find shoulderpads that reasonably fit me (for a variety of reasons) - particularly ones that don't interfere with elbow pads. So if I'm choosing between elbow pads and shoulder pads, I'm gonna go with the elbow pads (from experience). When I played checking hockey, and in some guys' leagues that are a little rougher than others, I have worn both shoulderpads and elbow pads, but my vision and mobility definitely suffer for it.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've been hit with a puck in an upper body region that wasn't covered by my elbow pads, gloves or the waist cuff of my pants. It's really only been an issue in low slot situations with a bouncy puck where my stick might be tied up to keep me from moving the shaft of the stick or my gloves/elbows in front of it. And generally if the puck is bouncing around the slot, it's not going fast enough to even cause a bruise.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sevorak posted:

There were a couple guys on my beer league team who played in that tournament too. They had a similar experience with sandbaggers in the novice division. Looks like they had a -17 differential and were in Novice Green.

Which rinks did you play on? Everyone complains about the center rink but the other three are decent, depending on how much effort goes into cutting the ice before the game. Usually they let the ice freeze for 5-10 minutes before they let us out for the warmups, but that can swing either way depending on how long the previous game took. For lower level adult league periods are 20 minutes of running time, and I think the upper levels are 15 minutes with actual clock stoppages, so the 13 minutes was just for the tournament probably.

Where do you normally play? Are you one of the SoCal goons? I lose track of where all you people play. It's funny to hear how nice our ice is when so many people that play here complain about it. Well, the center rink at least.

Looking at the stats page, I'm guessing that team was Total Chaos? I'm pretty sure we watched one of their games and they didn't look bad at all. At least not as bad as we probably did. We were in the Novice Blue group (Auburn Alehouse).

If you want a good laugh, look at the goalie stats for Novice:
http://stats.liahl.org/display-league-stats.php?league=47&level=140&season=22&conf=8
We gave up 135 shots in 3 games :lol:

I always got the rinks confused. I think we played on North, Center, and... is it South (the one that the Sharks practice on that you can't see from the bar)? Our game on North was Friday afternoon, and the ice was awesome. The game on Center wasn't bad at all, but then again, that one was at 9:30am so it didn't have time to melt and get all lovely. I heard from a few people that it gets awful in the afternoon due to the figure skaters and all the warm air coming in the front entrance. The one on South was pretty good too.

I usually play in Roseville (Sac).

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
We had an afternoon and a night game on the Center rink. The ice was terrible.

edit: In all the tournaments I've played in at Sharks Ice now, we've never won a game on that craphole middle rink. Jinx!!

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 1, 2012

sevorak
Apr 27, 2011
Yep, Total Chaos. They normally play in our lower D leagues. Not sure how that translates to other places though since we have so many drat levels.

Yeah the South rink is the one you can't see from the bar where the Sharks practice. The Center rink can actually be ok if you get it at the right time. Once we had a game immediately after public session and the ice was absolutely terrible even after a cut. There were divots all over from toe picks and the sides of the rinks were like skating on gravel because there's so much traffic during public skate. Then we had a game there right after a curling session and it was much better since the curlers were out there polishing the ice for us. Thanks curlers!

Some decisions they made when designing the place seem weird, but then again I'm no HVAC expert. For instance, if they added another set of doors at the main entrances to help keep the warm air out it might improve the ice and cut down on cooling costs, but who knows.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Really hard shots on my shinguard definitely hurt, and I wear pretty hefty ones (Reebok 9K). A couple of times every season I wind up with a knot on my shin and a bruise that lasts several weeks. My shinguards have a couple of decent dents in them too.

The couple of times in my life I've gotten hard shots to the foot weren't that much worse, especially in up to date skates. Also don't remember ever getting anything painful in the upper body, and I've not worn shoulder pads for over a decade. Same for face/neck/etc.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The instep is one of the worst. I took a snap-shot to the arch of my foot a few months ago and couldn't play for about a week. Painful as all hell to get my boot off/on.

The key is honestly just to face the puck. Hockey gear ain't designed for flinching.

The worst injury I've ever had was a broken thumb. Freak accident. You'll never protect yourself from everything.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Despite the hard shell, skates are terrible at absorbing blows. Your foot is mushed into the boot like stuffing in a twinkie and pretty much all of the impact gets transferred straight to your frail gooey center.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Despite the hard shell, skates are terrible at absorbing blows. Your foot is mushed into the boot like stuffing in a twinkie and pretty much all of the impact gets transferred straight to your frail gooey center.

They used to be way, way worse. The first pair of skates I had were these things:

It was basically like wearing combat boots with a little bit of putty around your ankle bone. If you got hit anywhere near your foot it hurt. so. bad. This was especially scary to a 6 year old, so much so that I still talk about it on the internet today.

The first adult skates I owned were Bauer Supreme Composites and you felt like the drat terminator in them, but compared to stuff now they're like a tennis shoe. Even my 8090s feel floppy and weak compared to the totalones.

Also I would like to honor Craig Ludwig who was the first modern shot blocker, and he did it with these things:

That is a man right there.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 2, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looking at pictures of that guy on the ice, you start to think if he wiggled his legs fast enough he'd take off and fly away. His shinguards were truly ridiculous.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
For me the worst spot is the top of your ankle. I've blocked shots everywhere, the only times ive ever missed games because of getting hit with a puck was when I caught one off the outside of my ankle.

You can finish the rest of the game through the pain, but once you take your skates off you arent getting them back on for a week or two.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I once took a weak saucer pass off the top of my old vapor x20's (tongue had no protection) that hurt like hell. Last summer a deflected puck hit me in the chest in the upper pec area just on the part of my shoulder pads that had one layer of foam. That left a neat square bruise. That same year I took a wrister off the crotch, thankfully the cup did its job and it didn't hurt really, thankfully it wasn't shot too hard, but it made my eyes bulge for a second. A couple weeks ago I made a play on goal on a quick break-in, went to stop, lost my edge and crashed feet and knee's first into the boards. Even with my new 9ks I bruised both knees pretty good. Recently I went to close the door to the bench facing away from it by hitting it with my elbow pad, missed and hit it with the less protected back of my arm, ah that was a good looking bruise too. I have never had any pain from shots/passes on either sets of skates or shins. I try to get out of the way and let the goalie play it more since I mainly play pickup. But I feel like the 9ks will hold up well.

Fingat fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 2, 2012

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

xzzy posted:

Sami Lepisto's leg:

:gonk:

I don't think I'll be standing in front of guys on the point anymore.

I came in to post this. Guys in the NHL aren't human, I swear.

I've mostly just taken shots off my feet and ankles. Took one in a game Sunday night that got me in the ankle just above the boot of my skate and where my leg wasn't covered by shin guard. That one stung for a little bit. It left me with a swollen knot where I got hit but it didn't even bruise. Nobody in the leagues I play in is firing 90+ MPH slapshots, though.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Worst place I've taken a shot is on the laces. Top of my foot killed me the next day. Speaking of blocking shots, I finally had one hit me in the shinguard instead of either missing me or hitting somewhere without protection. Thanks SAS hockey thread for shot blocking karma

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I've never worn shoulder pads in no hitting leagues because without checking they don't seem needed. They were never really designed for shot blocking. I've taken a few pucks in the stomach before. Hurts, but you get over it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In an abrupt change of topic: stick lie.

I've been using a 5.5 lie and am thinking of both ordering a batch of sticks from cbhockey (who apparently just changed their name to BOA) and getting a new lie. The heel of my current stick is definitely more worn than the rest of the blade, but on the other hand, I get lazy with the stick a lot and drag it on the heel on the ice in front of me, especially during drills.

The toe of the blade has some wear too, probably just from smacking at people's sticks and/or the puck. The center seems pretty unworn, but for several months, that was the only place I put tape. Since I started taping from heel to toe, I really only wear holes in the tape at the heel.

So.. it's pretty clear I should go to a shallower lie, right? But what to switch to.. 5 or 4.5?

It's only significant because BOA makes you order in batches of 3 so I want to be reasonably sure I'm getting a stick I'll be happy with.

And.. stick length. Where do they measure from.. from handle to heel, or handle to toe? If I go handle to heel I get 58 inches, to toe it comes out as 69 inches. When I got my skates on it comes right to my lower lip, so I think I'm perfect on length.

Only important because the length changes what flex I can get.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Keep in mind that lie is different between brands. I have a Bauer Backstrom, a Warrior Draper, and an Easton Hall blade. (pretty much the exact same pattern, just different manufacturers) They're all labeled as different lies, but the angle on them is the exact same. It's like how flex is different between manufacturers.

Anyway, just go with a pattern you like that has a lower lie than what you currently use. See if any shops nearby have them in stock so you can compare unless your BOA can only be found online.

On a similar note, why doesn't anyone make a Backstrom/Draper/Hall/pitching wedge with a low lie, round toe and 1/2" mid curve. :argh:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 2, 2012

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The difference between a 5 lie and a 5.5 lie is pretty minor. I usually use a 5.5 lie but currently I'm using a 6 and I notice a slight difference (easier to shoot higher) but otherwise the feel is about the same.

If you're unsure then a 5 lie might be the answer as it'll still be familiar to you. However, the best course of action is to just try before you buy.

Jackdonkey
May 31, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

Also, I GOTTA get better at stopping. I was getting some good speed on the ice, but there were a lot of little kids around. Some little girl with one of those walker things stopped dead in front of me when I was right behind her and I spilled out getting around her.

I aint mad, because I surely was an ice hazard myself, but ouch.

What really helped me was winter, where I could go skate for 15 minutes for free. Having to get my moneys worth at open skate kind of sucks. Stay at it though, I skated for the first time two Januarys ago and then twice more in the fall before the winter. Now I can stop on one side, sort of skate backwards. I'm getting closer to stopping on the other side. My boss, who's a hockey coach for younger people, said you just kind of learn how to stop and can't really be told. I started a beginner league and the only thing the coaches said about stopping was find that flat spot and keep your shoulders kind of in line with your skates. I think those coaches knew they couldn't tell you how to stop but they said what they could.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
My adult instructional class ended last Monday, and I ended up falling during a drill and somehow strained the hell out of my triceps muscle. I think i must have had the stick in my left and reached out to catch the fall with my right. Sucks but it should be better in a few days.

Meanwhile, my developmental league starts this coming monday at a different rink. I got a group email assigning me to the 'red' team, and it is taking all of my maturity and restraint not to 'reply to all' and make some derogatory comment about the blue team.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Video internet sleuths have decided this is probably the block that gave Lepisto that horrible looking bruise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lowrQi-jEE

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
For all you defensive experts out there, how bad is Danny Briere's defense on this play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=q7WxkumotJE!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wanted to reach through my TV and choke him when I saw him just standing there.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Every Flyer played like complete loving poo poo in the 3rd fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

shyguy posted:

Every Flyer played like complete loving poo poo in the 3rd fwiw

No debating that. I just know that the slot is usually the area the center wants to protect and everyone out there wants to crucify Danny B for lack of effort. I want to know how justified that is