Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

keyframe posted:

Speaking of Sile at the end

what happens if you save her instead of letting her explode?

She tells you where Yennefer is then *poofs* away. Which is of course completely pointless as Letho tells you anyway a few moments later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zylen
Mar 25, 2005

The third time, the exception becomes the rule
Recently reinstalled to check out the Enhanced Edition goodies + Dark mode, and while exploring Flotsam I rediscovered my favourite weapon and one of the things I loved about the game to begin with. Long story short, I made a bad video.

Zylen fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 2, 2012

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
Quick, stupid question - is there storage in the third act? If so where can I find it?

EDIT: i r stoopid and I just found it.

7seven7 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 2, 2012

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I hate Dandelion's voice actor. That is all.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

folgore posted:

I hate Dandelion's voice actor. That is all.

We shall have to agree to disagree, sir. The new Dandelion is way better than the original VA.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Vargatron posted:

We shall have to agree to disagree, sir. The new Dandelion is way better than the original VA.

Different from the first game? I thought they were the same, but it's been a while. I'll have to refresh my memory.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Tim Beckmann voiced him in the first game, and John Scwhab voiced him in Witcher 2.

EDIT: Also you're wrong Dandelion is the best in every way including his voice actor.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Holy goddamn!

Saw this on a random forum, decided to give it a shot because the FPS on this game was so utterly poo poo compared to everything else I play.

How to gain 10-15 FPS in The Witcher 2:

1.) Delete Steam\steamapps\common\the witcher 2\bin\paul.dll

That's it. With it in, I get 48-50 FPS on the screen my current load comes up at. I take it out, 60 FPS solid (vsync on). I put it back in, 48-50. I take it out, 60.

More importantly, even when I wiggle the view around, the last of the "hitchiness" is gone! Jesus Christ I'm in chapter 3, I wish I hadn't given up trying to fix it before. Vsync got rid of the extremely noticeable hitching, this .dll thing got rid of an extremely subtle hitching I couldn't put my finger on--it just seemed to look shittier than it should for the framerate--until I flipped back-and-forth with the .dll about 6 times making this post. The plants moving in the wind are beautiful! Turning is no longer completely disorienting!

Note: Strangely enough, my CPU usage is slightly higher with paul.dll gone. 44-45% with it there, 49-51% with it gone. I don't care why, somebody else investigate if you care, this is awesome and I'm going to play this game. gently caress you, paul.dll.

My system:
Athlon 965 X4 BE
ATI 6950 2GB
1920x1200

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I want those extra FPS, but I'd like to know what on earth paul.dll is before I try it.

Uselessness
Mar 29, 2005

This really pisses me
off to no end
Slippery Tilde
I don't have paul.dll in my steamapps/common/witcher 2/bin/ - and I've never taken it out. Hmm. Could it be reminants from the disc version drm that they removed, maybe still on some content servers or was at one point accidently included?

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
That could be why I have it, I've had the game installed since release. It's a DRM .dll, SecurROM if I remember correctly. Maybe that's why it tolerates having it removed, because they disabled the DRM? I thought I would have to get the un-DRM'd exe, but it just worked.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh, I don't have it either. (GOG version)

Seriously though, nothing I can fiddle with in the graphics options makes any difference to how low the frame rate is while in town. It must be just based on the brute physical reality of how many people it has to render, and there's nothing I can do about it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Okay, just hit level 7, which means that next time it's time to decide what I want to specialize in. There's a lot of melee combat, so swordsmanship looks attractive, but being able to chug tons of potions and get free mutagens out of it in an alchemy specialization also looks neat. Which is more newbie-friendly?

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Holy goddamn!

Saw this on a random forum, decided to give it a shot because the FPS on this game was so utterly poo poo compared to everything else I play.

How to gain 10-15 FPS in The Witcher 2:

1.) Delete Steam\steamapps\common\the witcher 2\bin\paul.dll

That's it. With it in, I get 48-50 FPS on the screen my current load comes up at. I take it out, 60 FPS solid (vsync on). I put it back in, 48-50. I take it out, 60.

More importantly, even when I wiggle the view around, the last of the "hitchiness" is gone! Jesus Christ I'm in chapter 3, I wish I hadn't given up trying to fix it before. Vsync got rid of the extremely noticeable hitching, this .dll thing got rid of an extremely subtle hitching I couldn't put my finger on--it just seemed to look shittier than it should for the framerate--until I flipped back-and-forth with the .dll about 6 times making this post. The plants moving in the wind are beautiful! Turning is no longer completely disorienting!

Note: Strangely enough, my CPU usage is slightly higher with paul.dll gone. 44-45% with it there, 49-51% with it gone. I don't care why, somebody else investigate if you care, this is awesome and I'm going to play this game. gently caress you, paul.dll.

My system:
Athlon 965 X4 BE
ATI 6950 2GB
1920x1200

Holy poo poo this is amazing. I've had the game installed since launch and it literally did just that. The game is running a good 25+ FPS faster and smooth now.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Speedball posted:

Okay, just hit level 7, which means that next time it's time to decide what I want to specialize in. There's a lot of melee combat, so swordsmanship looks attractive, but being able to chug tons of potions and get free mutagens out of it in an alchemy specialization also looks neat. Which is more newbie-friendly?

Alchemey is sort of annoying to use due to the big change vs. the first game(no more insta-use). I prefer going either the magic or sword path.

Sword path gives you more damage reduction while Magic gives you more group destroying powers.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Speedball posted:

Swords or magic are the most newbie friendly depends on what you like doing as to which you should focus on etalian summed it up pretty well

folgore posted:

Different from the first game? I thought they were the same, but it's been a while. I'll have to refresh my memory.

Dandelion's voice in the first game was loving horrid whatever you may think of the new Dandelion he is 100x better than the old one.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SpRahl posted:

Dandelion's voice in the first game was loving horrid whatever you may think of the new Dandelion he is 100x better than the old one.

And also is stupid enough to wander down a trap door just to bone a random demon.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Speedball posted:

Alchemist is definitely the most advanced because if you don't know when the big battles are coming up, you might lose your chance to drink your potions, because you can't do it during combat. It's better for subsequent playthroughs.

Though feel free to strategically spec into all three if you want to build the strongest Geralt possible.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 2, 2012

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
So after beating the game I'm starting to think Letho got played as a chump.

Ending spoilersI really doubt the Nilfggardian empire is ever going to let Letho build his Witcher monastery. Letho basically proved that him and his ilk are kingslayers and considering all the turmoil that's going to be brewing because of the war the last thing they need are trained kingslayer assassin's with no allegiance living and training on their land. The way I see it Letho goes back to the Nilfs, they all congratulate him, and when the pleasantries are over lock him and his kind up into the dungeons and quietly do away with them.

I mean, the Nilfs have always been shown to be conniving backstabbing bastards. Cynthia, that one dude who gets shot by his own men while being held hostage by Geralt, etc. They seen to be cold, calculating killers, spies, and kings. I really feel bad for Letho because come Witcher 3 I think he's going to be up poo poo creek without a paddle.

Also what was up with Letho saying the Emperor of the Nilfs weren't human? Are dragons in charge? Highly advanced and social nekkers? :tinfoil:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lycus posted:

Alchemist is definitely the most advanced because if you don't know when the big battles are coming up, you might lose your chance to drink your potions, because you can't do it during combat. It's better for subsequent playthroughs.

Though feel free to strategically spec into all three if you want to build the strongest Geralt possible.

Alchemy gets really amazing later on in the game due the mutagen upgrade bonus.

Grab some upgrades such as damage increase and you start doing insane amounts of damage assuming can farm the good ones. But it's not as newbie friendly as sword or magic focus.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Red Mundus posted:

So after beating the game I'm starting to think Letho got played as a chump.

Ending spoilersI really doubt the Nilfggardian empire is ever going to let Letho build his Witcher monastery. Letho basically proved that him and his ilk are kingslayers and considering all the turmoil that's going to be brewing because of the war the last thing they need are trained kingslayer assassin's with no allegiance living and training on their land. The way I see it Letho goes back to the Nilfs, they all congratulate him, and when the pleasantries are over lock him and his kind up into the dungeons and quietly do away with them.

I mean, the Nilfs have always been shown to be conniving backstabbing bastards. Cynthia, that one dude who gets shot by his own men while being held hostage by Geralt, etc. They seen to be cold, calculating killers, spies, and kings. I really feel bad for Letho because come Witcher 3 I think he's going to be up poo poo creek without a paddle.

Also what was up with Letho saying the Emperor of the Nilfs weren't human? Are dragons in charge? Highly advanced and social nekkers? :tinfoil:

Yeah, Letho's basically doing the same job as the Scoia'tael, trying to get his Valley of Flowers. I would be surprised if he ends up any better off than the Scoia'tael

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Well that kind of sucks. I think Letho was my favorite character of the whole game. King Foltest was well played too. And they did a good job with the dwarves poo poo-talking amongst themselves

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

Red Mundus posted:

Well I not all up to date on the Witcher mythos, but I think the Emperor of Nilfgaard was cursed at some point and was transformed into some kind of monster, but managed to retain his intellect. That is if I'm not simply mixing up my stories

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oh god I keep getting clobbered by the soldiers around the ballista in the second part of the prologue on normal, help I am the worst witcher :saddowns:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ledneh posted:

Oh god I keep getting clobbered by the soldiers around the ballista in the second part of the prologue on normal, help I am the worst witcher :saddowns:

Just dodge roll like crazy and use hit-run tactics.

Fighting group sucks until you start unlock more abilities and equipment.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Ledneh posted:

That's normal. You'll get ploughed quite a lot until you get the hang of things. Just keep moving and pick off the weaker guys first with lunge attacks. My favorite is when you move towards the left of your target and attack. Geralt executes something resembling a double lutz to double axel and can hit enemies multiple times. You can often instantly kill weaker dudes with this lunge alone. Once you're down to just the shield dude and two hander dude, bust out Yrden and go to town on the one that gets caught.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Yrden is good for separating shielded and heavy hitting enemies from others and can also let you choke point and isolate groups.

If you're out of vigor parrying a blow from a shield bearer will cause enough reverberation that they slightly drop their guard giving you enough time to strike. (you will take a small amount of damage for parrying without vigor but otherwise shield bearers can be a pain).

You're faster than armored humans so make them move after you to get them where you can attack one without another being able to strike mid-attack.

Keep watch for anyone with a bow or crossbow and take them out first. They can hit you with an arrow/bolt mid attack breaking your attack and letting the defender get hits in.

Edit: If you're fighting an enemy that often parries (without a shield) but you don't want to stop pressing the attack you can use Ard after your second or third strike to stop them from parrying.

Cirofren fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 2, 2012

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
It's a shame they did not put a new game + mode. You get all those amazing weapons in chapter 3 and you hardly get to use them. :smith:

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

keyframe posted:

It's a shame they did not put a new game + mode. You get all those amazing weapons in chapter 3 and you hardly get to use them. :smith:

I'd settle for being able to use items from a finished play through in the arena. I'm not up on Witcher 2 modding but would it be possible to make something that copied over a save's inventory to the arena vendor at 0 orens?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

keyframe posted:

And it's really :qq: how short the final act lasts compared to the previous parts.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Cirofren posted:

I'd settle for being able to use items from a finished play through in the arena. I'm not up on Witcher 2 modding but would it be possible to make something that copied over a save's inventory to the arena vendor at 0 orens?

This right here would make me give a poo poo about the arena. Having your progress reset every loving time makes me not want to play it. Especially not on the harder difficulty levels.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Yrden is underestimated, it's awesome for a swordsman and makes fights with tough opponents much easier. It paralyzes pretty much anything, letting you slash at enemy unable to attack, block or parry. It works quite well on bosses, makes fights with Letho, Draug, golems of Loc Muinne and Controller much easier.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Pyromancer posted:

Yrden is underestimated, it's awesome for a swordsman and makes fights with tough opponents much easier. It paralyzes pretty much anything, letting you slash at enemy unable to attack, block or parry. It works quite well on bosses, makes fights with Letho, Draug, golems of Loc Muinne and Controller much easier.

It should be said that for a lot of people Yrden does not always work against Letho.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Omnides posted:

Well I not all up to date on the Witcher mythos, but I think the Emperor of Nilfgaard was cursed at some point and was transformed into some kind of monster, but managed to retain his intellect. That is if I'm not simply mixing up my stories

He was calling Emhyr a great man, not implying he was some sort of humanoid abomination. Poleyns are part of knee guard armor. He was saying the Kings of the north don't come up to his knees in terms of worth. Also, hedgehogs.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Cirofren posted:

It should be said that for a lot of people Yrden does not always work against Letho.

You have to lure him over Yrden while he's in the middle of an attack sequence for it to work properly. It's really easy to do when he's doing his little spinning slash routine.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, the intro where Letho freezes an entire ship wasn't in Regular Edition Witcher 2, was it? Was the small cutscene where he meets Iorveth with the head of that king added in as well?

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Aurubin posted:

He was calling Emhyr a great man, not implying he was some sort of humanoid abomination. Poleyns are part of knee guard armor. He was saying the Kings of the north don't come up to his knees in terms of worth. Also, hedgehogs.

If anyone really cares what the deal is with the emperor: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Emhyr_var_Emreis

Speedball posted:

So, the intro where Letho freezes an entire ship wasn't in Regular Edition Witcher 2, was it? Was the small cutscene where he meets Iorveth with the head of that king added in as well?

The intro wasn't but the cutscene was.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Speedball posted:

Yes, the second one was in the original version.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Got through that part of the prologue after a couple more tries, thanks folks. I think I'll be using less Quen and more Yrden from now on, separating the hordes (and locking down the last guy) works bloody wonders :v:

(edit) Oh sodding hell I had bombs and traps and potions I could have used that whole time, drat and blast. :mad:

While I'm making edits, is it me or is targeting (with LB on a 360 controller) just as finicky as all god drat get out, and not even worth doing?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

SpRahl posted:

Yeah, Dandelion's voice in W2 is a little :downs:, but the original voice actor sounded like they lured a profoundly retarded homeless guy into the recording studio with promises of a ham sandwich.

• Locked thread