Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

aw yiss posted:

Whenever someone used the [timg] tags on their picture there used to be a red outline around the picture and I could middle click the picture with my mouse to open in full size in a new tab. Now theres a green outline and I have to go to the right click menu for me to do this. What have I done and how do I change it back?

Sounds like they fixed timgs in Chrome finally. Mouseover the image and click the little blue guy in the upper left to expand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

aw yiss posted:

Whenever someone used the [timg] tags on their picture there used to be a red outline around the picture and I could middle click the picture with my mouse to open in full size in a new tab. Now theres a green outline and I have to go to the right click menu for me to do this. What have I done and how do I change it back?

I can't even open it in a new tab when right clicking. :( Very disappointing. I can 'View Image' but it opens in the same tab that the thread is in. I am clueless as to why this is happening.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
If all the aliens in star trek are speaking their own language that is being universally translated, how come they have different voices? Would they keep their voice going from ship to ship or whatever?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Presumably the translator adjusts the timbre/pitch of the translation to match the original voice.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

Why are humans the only animals that can grow really long hair? If someone doesn't cut their hair in a decade it'll probably drop below their rear end, but no animal I know of can grow hair that long. Why do we?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I just lucked into a free Aeron; the owner is giving it away because the pressure tube that adjusts the height is apparently busted. Is this something that would be relatively easy to fix?

Zotwoz
Apr 2, 2011

Sai posted:

Why are humans the only animals that can grow really long hair? If someone doesn't cut their hair in a decade it'll probably drop below their rear end, but no animal I know of can grow hair that long. Why do we?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_follicle#Hair-follicle_cycling

Hair follicles are genetically programmed to grow to a certain length, then stop and eventually shed; the growth phase of human scalp hair just happens to be extremely long.

Also:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

when worlds collide posted:

I can't even open it in a new tab when right clicking. :( Very disappointing. I can 'View Image' but it opens in the same tab that the thread is in. I am clueless as to why this is happening.

It's been fixed. The red outline thing was a problem because you are supposed to just be able to click on the picture. Now if you would like it to expand, click on the dimensions in the top left corner.

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Mak0rz posted:

What is the origin or story behind the often SA-mocked comic about the bear that tries to order ginger ale from a diner?

It was a photoshop thread, but I don't remember where the original comic came from:
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/photoshop-phriday/bear-ginger-ale.php

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Lblitzer posted:

They want to camp. No RV, but I imagine just pitching tents. I feel like they haven't made reservations or called around or really developed a plan but I'm just worried about getting there and exhausting myself with either working for wood/food or spending all day hiking in a blazing sun.

I guess I really have no clue what to expect from this and no idea how to prepare. My friends just said they want to go to Yellowstone to camp and that's it.

You may want to consult this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473190

Yellowstone is not the kind of place you just stop off and camp with no plan.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Barnum posted:

It was a photoshop thread, but I don't remember where the original comic came from:
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/photoshop-phriday/bear-ginger-ale.php

Yeah, I remember the thread and that article. I would just like to know where it came from.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

when worlds collide posted:

If this still happens, a workaround is to middle click on "view image" or ctrl+click.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if it's possible to install steam games on 2 different hard drives? I have skyrim on my ssd and would like to install deus ex: human revolutions onto another hdd I have, but I can't find a way to do it without moving all my games to the other hdd.

If I've just been baited into believing that games run better off of ssd's and it actually doesn't matter, let me know, as that makes my question kind of pointless.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lawnie posted:

If I've just been baited into believing that games run better off of ssd's and it actually doesn't matter, let me know, as that makes my question kind of pointless.

This depends on the game. SSDs tend to have faster read rates than hard disks, but most games nowadays are programmed to take advantage of the nature of hard disks and are actually either hindered or not at all affected by being installed on a solid state drive. It's probably not worth the trouble.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

This depends on the game. SSDs tend to have faster read rates than hard disks, but most games nowadays are programmed to take advantage of the nature of hard disks and are actually either hindered or not at all affected by being installed on a solid state drive. It's probably not worth the trouble.

That's the answer I was looking for. Thanks.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Mak0rz posted:

Interesting. So what does benefit from being on an SSD? The OS, of course, but what beyond that?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Golbez posted:

Interesting. So what does benefit from being on an SSD? The OS, of course, but what beyond that?
SSDs are better at random reads because they don't have to mechanically move heads around. Things can be optimized for rotating drives by anticipating which data will be needed and storing it sequentially. An SSD should still be faster than a rotating drive in pretty much any situation, though. SSDs are also more durable in regards to physical shock and don't get hot like rotating drives. While the flash memory in an SSD will wear out eventually, their lifespan is still longer than what you'd get on a rotating drive. Really the only advantage to rotating drives is their capacity:price ratio.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

SSDs are better at random reads because they don't have to mechanically move heads around. Things can be optimized for rotating drives by anticipating which data will be needed and storing it sequentially. An SSD should still be faster than a rotating drive in pretty much any situation, though. SSDs are also more durable in regards to physical shock and don't get hot like rotating drives. While the flash memory in an SSD will wear out eventually, their lifespan is still longer than what you'd get on a rotating drive. Really the only advantage to rotating drives is their capacity:price ratio.

You and Mak0rz need to compare notes. :v:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Golbez posted:

You and Mak0rz need to compare notes. :v:
Rotating drives are better at sequential actions than random ones. SSDs are faster at both and the discrepancy between the two isn't as large.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Rotating drives are better at sequential actions than random ones. SSDs are faster at both and the discrepancy between the two isn't as large.

So my plan of getting an SSD to run Windows, Office, Adobe, Steam, and WoW from is still valid, just with the hassle of having to juggle which Steam programs are installed at any given time?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yes, the SSD will run everything faster than the hard disk will, but it's not clear if the overall savings will outweigh the time you spend moving stuff around.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Golbez posted:

So my plan of getting an SSD to run Windows, Office, Steam, and WoW from is still valid, just with the hassle of having to juggle which Steam programs are installed at any given time?
You'll probably notice an improvement in having Windows and Office on the SSD. My machine loads Windows before the animation finishes. Games are all designed to have sequential reads with audio, video and textures. Loading screens will be faster, but if space is an issue, you're better off just using a rotating disk. Also, I wouldn't even bother with an SSD unless your motherboard supports SATA III (also known as SATA 6.0Gbps because hardware vendors like bigger numbers). Current generation SSDs are faster than SATA II (3.0Gbps), so you'll lose a lot of the benefit.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Oops, looks like I was wrong about an SSD being disadvantageous for some games :blush:. It's still true that games are optimized for hard disks and installing them on an SSD will not provide a noticeable difference, though.

Use a SSD for your OS and other software that takes some time to start up, not games.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Is it true that if you owe back taxes in Canada (specifically, British Columbia), you can't get onto public healthcare until you're fully paid up?

I have no personal knowledge (don't live in BC) but I can't imagine how this would work. Health care is run by the provinces, so only provincial taxes would be at stake. I went to the PharmaCare homepage and searched under "taxes owing" and "tax" and found nothing. I live in a different province and have owed plenty of back taxes over the years and have never run across this kind of thing.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I'm looking for one or two sets of funny commercials that I found on youtube.

The first one is from a country I believe is Scandinavian and may be either a hardware store or a health insurance company. The commercials show somebody in every day life having some sort of accident, and then the name of the company pops up and I think their logo is green. The accidents are funny - it isn't like those Canadian PSA commercials where the waitress falls down and pulls a pot of boiling oil down with her. More like a guy walking into a plexiglass window thinking it is a door.

This is pretty vague, but I also remember seeing some foreign (to the US) commercials where something would happen and then somebody would say, "Ah HAA!". It's very possible that this is part of the same commercial in the previous paragraph.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm trying to decide on a cloud storage service to use. I'm already using Windows Live Skydrive on my Windows computer, but I would like something that's cross-platform. Here's what I need:

- Compatibility with Windows and Linux (and Mac too if possible, but it's not essential).
- Automatic, regular syncing.
- The ability to sync any folders/subfolders to your liking.

I know Dropbox will come up, so I want to say that it is not an option because it fails the third requirement (only works for its own Dropbox folder) and I'm not about to reorganize all of my work.

Basically I want something that functions like Windows Live Skydrive/Mesh but is cross-platform. I'm leaning toward Ubuntu One, but I'm wondering if there's anything goon recommended out there.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I think spideroak satisfied all your requirements.

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

SkunkDuster posted:

I'm looking for one or two sets of funny commercials that I found on youtube.

The first one is from a country I believe is Scandinavian and may be either a hardware store or a health insurance company. The commercials show somebody in every day life having some sort of accident, and then the name of the company pops up and I think their logo is green. The accidents are funny - it isn't like those Canadian PSA commercials where the waitress falls down and pulls a pot of boiling oil down with her. More like a guy walking into a plexiglass window thinking it is a door.

This is pretty vague, but I also remember seeing some foreign (to the US) commercials where something would happen and then somebody would say, "Ah HAA!". It's very possible that this is part of the same commercial in the previous paragraph.

That sounds like Familiprix, a Quebec-based drugstore chain. Here's the one you might be thinking of.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
I haven't had Breyer's Ice Cream in a while and just bought some. It tastes strange and, well, lovely. I just noticed that the ingredients list is crazy long. Did something happen recently or am I just misremembering it as being a real, cream-and-sugar ice cream??

Google is conspicuously quiet on the topic, which is making me have a Hulk Hogan Meat Shoes moment.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Noni posted:

I haven't had Breyer's Ice Cream in a while and just bought some. It tastes strange and, well, lovely. I just noticed that the ingredients list is crazy long. Did something happen recently or am I just misremembering it as being a real, cream-and-sugar ice cream??

Google is conspicuously quiet on the topic, which is making me have a Hulk Hogan Meat Shoes moment.

For some crazy reason, I think it might only apply to their strawberry ice cream, but I always loved that flavor, but every other flavor of Breyer's just tasted kind of waxy or off.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

If I were to rig up a male-to-male microUSB connection between two smartphones, would either one try to charge off the other? If not, why not?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Noni posted:

You are right Breyer's has started to suck and Wikipedia seems to support that. It's probably the lack of milk fat more than the crazy long list of ingredients. It no longer contains enough fat to be ice cream but is a "frozen dairy desert"

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

dokmo posted:

I think spideroak satisfied all your requirements.

This service owns. Thanks!

Admiral Heklar
May 2, 2012

Gate Camper

Travakian posted:

If I were to rig up a male-to-male microUSB connection between two smartphones, would either one try to charge off the other? If not, why not?

It depends, some smartphones need a certain voltage input to start charging and some need to see a controller to be on the other side of the connection.

In theory its possible but in practical terms would likely do little to charge the other phone, in any case it would be inefficient.

hope this helps

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm doing a DIY project with some of these IC chips, and I need to connect to them somehow. They are really tiny - like 2x2 mm! They are surface mount chips, i.e. they're meant to go on a circuit board and be machine-connected.

Does anything exist that "adapts" this tiny tiny chip into a more handle-able form? Or are there any tricks to working with them? Any way to connect them is fine. I was hoping for solder, but even alligator clips are fine.

edit:

Travakian posted:

I dunno about the computer/signal aspects of this, but even hooking up a less-charged battery to a more-charged battery would be weird.
At open circuit, a battery has a certain voltage that depends somewhat on its state of charge.
When discharging (drawing from) a battery, the voltage gets lower the faster you try to draw from it. Furthermore, as it depletes, the voltage loss gets more severe.
When charging, you need to supply a voltage that is higher than the open circuit one.
The open circuit voltage doesn't change a ton with state of charge (example:

) so at best you'd have e.g. 12.6 V trying to charge 10.5 V. The higher battery's voltage would go down when supplying current, and the lower battery would need something higher than 10.5 V to charge at all, so you can see how this might be hard. How hard depends on a lot of factors.
Basically, with 2 batteries of the same chemistry, I could see it possible to transfer a little charge to a very depleted battery from a very charged one, maybe.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 2, 2012

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I remember once playing with 9v batteries toward a similar goal. Plugged into each other all they did was get really hot and the dead battery stayed dead.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

Oops, looks like I was wrong about an SSD being disadvantageous for some games :blush:. It's still true that games are optimized for hard disks and installing them on an SSD will not provide a noticeable difference, though.

Use a SSD for your OS and other software that takes some time to start up, not games.

I'll do a test with skyrim and see if the change is noticeable with it on a hard disk compared to an ssd. it will be purely anecdotal and will provide no real information on this issue, but i will do it anyway.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Travakian posted:

Most smartphones do not put out any power over their USB port, other than the bare minimum needed to transmit data back to what you plugged them into. However, certain ones that support "USB on the go" may be able to be set up to do so.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
My roommate keeps turning the thermostat to 76-78 even though its summer time. He says that it only turns on when its colder than that so on sunny days we can leave it at 78 and since its warmer outside the furnace won't come on. I ALWAYS was told to keep the temp at 65-68ish when you're out of the house/sleeping because it saves money. He claims I don't understand how a thermostat works; which I don't, but I do think it saves money my way. Which one of us is right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Lawnie posted:

I'll do a test with skyrim and see if the change is noticeable with it on a hard disk compared to an ssd. it will be purely anecdotal and will provide no real information on this issue, but i will do it anyway.

A lot of it depends on the type of game as mentioned above. World of Warcraft for example with tons of add-ons loads hundreds to thousands of tiny .lua files each one has to have the HD head step to the correct position. When I got my SSD card a few years back my load time from character selection to in game in a crowded city went from 1 minute 18 seconds to 8 seconds.