Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Shiiiit; here's hoping for the best, Phummus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I'm sorry Phummus that really sucks :(

I'm going to be in San Antonio Thursday evening. Any GWS people out there?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask in, but I have a skirt steak I want to make fajitas with tonight. The recipe calls for 24 hours of marinating. Can I get away with an hour or two if I put it in a vacuum sealed bag?

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
^^^^^ Any time marinating will be better than no time marinating. With a skirt steak, if the acid content of the marinade is high, the recipe might be advising the 24 hr marinade for the acids to start breaking down some of the tougher fibers in the meat. While there's not much that can be done to speed that up (unless you have a pressure cooker), you can minimize the chewiness by cutting the meat against the grain after cooking to shorten the muscle fibers.

The oncologist has told us that the MRI done this morning confirms the CT from last night and there is 'something' there. Based on the headaches, he is leaning towards immediate surgery. Still waiting for the neurosurgeon consult.

Phummus fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 1, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat dude...just drat.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Phummus posted:

^^^^^ Any time marinating will be better than no time marinating. With a skirt steak, if the acid content of the marinade is high, the recipe might be advising the 24 hr marinade for the acids to start breaking down some of the tougher fibers in the meat. While there's not much that can be done to speed that up (unless you have a pressure cooker), you can minimize the chewiness by cutting the meat against the grain after cooking to shorten the muscle fibers.

The oncologist has told us that the MRI done this morning confirms the CT from last night and there is 'something' there. Based on the headaches, he is leaning towards immediate surgery. Still waiting for the neurosurgeon consult.

Thanks for the advice, and best of luck with your kid; I've got one on the way and I couldn't imagine going through what you are right now. I think I'll give it the 24 hours the recipe calls for as it is fairly acidic (2 limes worth of juice) and just eat it tomorrow.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

drat dude...just drat.

Ditto. Awful news. I hope the follow-up gives you a positive course of action.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Sorry about the bad news, Phummus. Hopefully things will turn out well in the end.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Thug, don't forget about cutting the beef against the grain. (With a skirt steak, that means you'll be cutting it into short strips, not long ones.) Even well-marinated skirt steak is like a leather wallet if you don't cut it against the grain.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

Phummus posted:

Man that sucks. My wife had to have a brain tumor removed a couple of years ago. I'm hoping all goes well for you and your kid.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
lovely news Phummus, here's hoping for the best though.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Sorry to hear, Phummus. Hope it's nothing too serious.

EDIT:

Dear LJ,
Today, I had to be reminded that I'm maid of honour at my girl friend's wedding, and best man at my guy friend's (they're spaced like 3 months apart). The sad thing is, we had this conversation ages ago, and I totally thought both were kidding. And then we had the for reals conversation, where they said they weren't kidding. And yet somehow, in the shuffle, my alzheimer's riddled brain promptly forgot it all. I need to write things down or something. Sheesh.

dino. fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 2, 2012

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Toast posted:

How... how... how do you misidentify Il Duomo as the vatican if you've actually been there? (And honestly even if you haven't and know anything about italy)

Still, maybe he's an idiot that makes good pasta.

Welp.
:suicide:

Massively, MASSIVELY oversauced pasta with cheap pizza topping style sausage meat. Also after finishing there were about 3mm of red water covering the bottom of the plate. Proudly proclaimed it to be cooked for 24 hours. Chopped parsley and a nearly solid layer of grated parmesan.
Lackluster salad. I have found the side salad to be an incredibly useful metric of what I can expect from a place. If you put effort into your side salad, you probably make good food. If you throw some chopped iceberg, cherry tomatoes and shaved carrots.
Stale bread.
Olive oil may have been canola oil.

:cool:Hey, do you plan on doing a carbonara?
:chef:People have been asking for that, but I don't know what it is
:cool:Uh.. ok, well you fry up some pancetta with onion and
:chef:So it's just the panna cotta with onion in the sautee pan?
:stare:The pancetta, yeah.
:chef:Cool! Can you come back and teach me how to make it?
:stare:..... suuuure.

I'm conflicted, I don't really want to teach this guy to, you know, cook. But it might be nice to have access to a commercial kitchen for whatever fuckery I want.

Yeah dude, people on Yelp were "slandering" your last restaurant by saying your food is bad. Yelp is definitely the problem here. I can't bring myself to be the first to review on the new place, though, as I've sorta made friends with the guy.

We need :downs:+:chef:

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Phummus posted:

I don't really usually care about stuff on the internet, but this honestly sucks man. :( Hope this turns out as well as it possibly can for you guys.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Has anyone tried to get a table at Noma? How hard was it? I'm managed to get one at the Fat Duck and am expecting that sort of level.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Has anyone tried to get a table at Noma? How hard was it? I'm managed to get one at the Fat Duck and am expecting that sort of level.

Don't know. Say fellas, did I mention that I am producing a documentary about Noma and Rene Redzepi with a director who has exclusive access for a year, and will be following Rene and his suppliers through the seasons?

If we don't score a meal at Noma from that I'll be seriously annoyed.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

3 month waiting list only, very few seats, all about getting lucky on the day. Right now they probably aren't even answering their phone.

therattle posted:

Don't know. Say fellas, did I mention that I am producing a documentary about Noma and Rene Redzepi with a director who has exclusive access for a year, and will be following Rene and his suppliers through the seasons?

If we don't score a meal at Noma from that I'll be seriously annoyed.

The guys at Noma are (at least used to be) awesome at comping and inviting people in for tasting stuff. I helped a friend of the family deliver som lamb bacon to them a couple of years ago and was tasting stuff for 30 minutes before they shooed me out.

Aumuller
Jun 25, 2009

The horror..

I gave my mom a dinner at noma for her birthday, planned to take place in October, so I've done a bit of research. As Dane said, the waiting list is only booked 3 months in advance, this means that if you have 3+ months until your visit, you're in luck. If you want a table within the next 3 months, you're sort of screwed. René Redzepi told a newspaper that the waiting list for this past Saturday was 1300 people - for 12 tables. If you have more than three months, here's the dates for booking in advance:

Monday, May 7th at 10 am (gmt +1) they open for reservations for August (NB: Closed from July 22th to August 13th)

Monday, June 11th at 10 am (gmt +1) they open for reservations for September

Monday, July 9th at 10 am (gmt +1) they open for reservations for October

Usually they book everything, lunch + dinner, within the first 90 minutes, so you need to be fast.

vvv I did it in quite a rush, so I see I made some errors. Edited to make it correct. Another thing, when you're going to reserve your table you can do it on their website http://www.noma.dk/main.php?lang=en or by calling +45 3296 3297

Aumuller fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 2, 2012

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Aumuller posted:

I gave my mom a dinner at noma for her birthday, planned to take place in October, so I've done a bit of research. As Dane said, the waiting list is only booked 3 months in advanced, this means that if you have 3+ months until your visit, you're in luck. If you want a table within the next 3 months, you're sort of screwed. René Redzepi told a newspaper that the waiting list for this past saturday was 1300 people - for 12 tables. If you have more than three months, here's the dates for booking in advance:

Monday, May 7th at 10 am (gmt +1) they open for reservations for August (NB: Closed from July 22th to August 13th

Monday, June 11th at 10 am (gmt +1) they open for reservations for September

Monday, June 9th at 10 am (gmt +1) they open for reservations for October

Usually they book everything, lunch + dinner, within the first 90 minutes, so you need to be fast.

This is great info, thanks!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
By the way Phummus, I went allrecipes on your whoopie pie recipe. Turns out my wife had cleaned out the cabinets and thrown out the baking soda, so I used a boxed brownie mix for the cookie part. I then made the filling per your recipe, but used crisco (and a little butter because I ran out of crisco) instead of lard, and powdered egg whites instead of fresh. These things are decadent as hell.

Edit: I'm definitely making the brownies in the whoopie pie pan again, they came out with a good combination of crispy and chewy.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Why on earth did she throw away baking soda?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was expired. Yeah.

Basically she threw away any spices or whatnot that were expired. In general that's fine, but she didn't make a list of what she got rid of, so replacing everything becomes a matter of discovering that I need it and it's not there.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

By the way Phummus, I went allrecipes on your whoopie pie recipe. Turns out my wife had cleaned out the cabinets and thrown out the baking soda, so I used a boxed brownie mix for the cookie part. I then made the filling per your recipe, but used crisco (and a little butter because I ran out of crisco) instead of lard, and powdered egg whites instead of fresh. These things are decadent as hell.

Edit: I'm definitely making the brownies in the whoopie pie pan again, they came out with a good combination of crispy and chewy.

Those look really fantastic!

In E/N or LJ news, I just spoke to the neurosurgeon and despite Mr. Schwarzenegger's insistence, it is indeed a tumor, and surgery will happen tomorrow or friday.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

drat, Phummus. Sending lots of positive thoughts your way.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bartolimu posted:

Same here. Until I had babby I did not quite comprehend what it was to worry for one's child. (Clue: it's awful).

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

bartolimu posted:

Prayers, too.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
My prayer analogues are also directed at the young dude. Gaddamn and gently caress, life can be such suffering sometimes.

Last night I discovered a great way to get free food delivered: forget that you are hosting a potluck dinner.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
One love, Phummus, may it be uncomplicated and easy.

I am still a little hungover from Sunday, ouch.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Make sure to really spoil him when he gets back from the hospital, Phummus.

It's not a particularly cheerful place to be, especially if you're going in for surgery. Even less so if you're a kid and it all seems too weird to make sense of.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

I hope this is the right place to post this. I'm starting to keep track of what I eat, trying to lose a bit of weight and working out to develop some muscle. I'm trying to determine roughly how many calories, etc are in my daily breakfast. The label lists the info for uncooked bacon, what I'm trying to figure out is how much that information is changed by cooking. I figure the calories and stuff would be a bit lower since I'm not drinking the grease that comes off the bacon.

I've tried using the about.com calorie site but the info there doesn't seem to jive with the label. It's Maple Leaf regular bacon, and I have a food scale on the way if that makes any difference. Thanks for the help guys!

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Trap Star posted:

I hope this is the right place to post this. I'm starting to keep track of what I eat, trying to lose a bit of weight and working out to develop some muscle. I'm trying to determine roughly how many calories, etc are in my daily breakfast. The label lists the info for uncooked bacon, what I'm trying to figure out is how much that information is changed by cooking. I figure the calories and stuff would be a bit lower since I'm not drinking the grease that comes off the bacon.

I've tried using the about.com calorie site but the info there doesn't seem to jive with the label. It's Maple Leaf regular bacon, and I have a food scale on the way if that makes any difference. Thanks for the help guys!

Just don't cook it. Also, you should always drink the grease that comes off the bacon.

(Someone might answer you, but there is also a general questions thread .)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The folks in watch & weight might be better equipped to help you with that question. Folks here aren't generally too interested in counting calories, more about making tasty food (and then hopefully eating in moderation).

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

Very Strange Things posted:

Thanks to both of you, I'll cross-post my question there. I'd like to get in on cooking something more than eggs and bacon but my oven doesn't work too well so I'm pretty limited

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

Trap Star posted:

Since you have a scale, collect and weigh the bacon grease after cooking, then subtract the number of calories from the total precooked calories.

Or don't worry that hard about it because it'll all average out in the long run. As long as you're approaching your goal, a couple grams of unaccounted for bacon isn't going to hurt.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Vegetable Melange posted:

One love, Phummus, may it be uncomplicated and easy.

I am still a little hungover from Sunday, ouch.

Still have to give you your bday gift.

Thoughts and prayers Phummus, hope all goes well.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Trap Star posted:

Thanks to both of you, I'll cross-post my question there. I'd like to get in on cooking something more than eggs and bacon but my oven doesn't work too well so I'm pretty limited

Do you have a stove/cooker? There's still a huge amount you can do. I would suggest checking out the excellent "Help! I am poor but want to eat well" thread as it has a ton of advice for anyone who wants to learn how to make basic, nutritious food, even if saving money isn't the primary goal (you can have it as an additional benefit). The vegan thread has tons of good, reasonably-achievable recipes too, and vegan food is often pretty reasonably-priced to make too.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Thanks for the good vibes everyone. Surgery is scheduled for "some time" on friday, but don't have exact times yet.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's hoping things go ok with tiny phummus duder.

On a more upbeat note. Tomorrow, Rammstein happens! Can't wait, seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Charlie Burger hosts pop-up restaurants in Toronto. Recently, he hosted some chefs from France's Le Chateaubriand, which is 9th on on the San Pellegrino list of top restaurants.

On May 6th, he's hosting this event.

http://t.co/CS1HT0cP

:catstare: