Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Also watch as the Poynter Institute glosses over this issue in its next ESPN Ombudsman column.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BackInTheUSSR posted:

I didn't know people still hated Bill Simmons. I thought we had come full circle on him. He's good at his job

he's what now

I do think he did a nice job with some of the Grantland hires and with 30 for 30, but his actual columns are still really bad and filled with all sorts of bullshit arguments that then are irritatingly aped elsewhere by his legion of dumb fans. That's probably more pronounced if you're an NBA fan though, since he's much more of an annoying self-proclaimed expert when it comes to basketball.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

MourningView posted:

he's what now

I do think he did a nice job with some of the Grantland hires and with 30 for 30, but his actual columns are still really bad and filled with all sorts of bullshit arguments that then are irritatingly aped elsewhere by his legion of dumb fans. That's probably more pronounced if you're an NBA fan though, since he's much more of an annoying self-proclaimed expert when it comes to basketball.

I'd give anything to have an NBA team call him up and say "OK Bill, you're our new GM. Good luck." I would love to see him fail at every conceivable aspect of the job.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Simmons is also a hockey expert now, just years after trashing the NHL in his Red Sox book and saying the Bruins lost him as a fan. Funny what a Cup run will do.

I don't think it's too suspicious that nobody from ESPN met Sarah Phillips, I do some freelancing and I've never met most of the people I've worked for face-to-face. It's the Twitter stuff and the NBA meme guy that surprise me: it blows my mind that people care so much about their follower count that they're willing to pay to gain more. And you're telling me a guy who copies and pastes photos off ESPN articles had no idea he was infringing copyright?

Brotax
Jul 29, 2006

He's Mr. White Christmas.

He's Mr. Snow.

haljordan posted:

I'd give anything to have an NBA team call him up and say "OK Bill, you're our new GM. Good luck." I would love to see him fail at every conceivable aspect of the job.

Can he out-Michael Jordan Michael Jordan?!

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Yeah, Bill Simmons remains lacking as a writer but his managerial skills to date have been stellar. He consistently provides Grantland with interesting, timely articles written by skilled writers*.

*Applies only to sports content, Hollywood Prospectus is still very out there.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Brotax posted:

Can he out-Michael Jordan Michael Jordan?!

He would make Michael Jordan look like Red loving Auerbach.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Yeah, Bill Simmons remains lacking as a writer but his managerial skills to date have been stellar. He consistently provides Grantland with interesting, timely articles written by skilled writers*.

I don't know, that one guy who used to write reviews of lovely netflix movies and the Rachel Ray/Guy Fierri celebrity cooking challenge with Lou Diamond Phillips and Coolio was pretty alright.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

I don't know, that one guy who used to write reviews of lovely netflix movies and the Rachel Ray/Guy Fierri celebrity cooking challenge with Lou Diamond Phillips and Coolio was pretty alright.

Brotax
Jul 29, 2006

He's Mr. Snow.

haljordan posted:

Man, that stove looks awesome as poo poo. Can you crossfade that poo poo? Like, make the deck quieter in exchange for more heat on the burner?

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

I don't know, the guy Grantland has writing about ACC basketball is really awful

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Brotax posted:

Man, that stove looks awesome as poo poo. Can you crossfade that poo poo? Like, make the deck quieter in exchange for more heat on the burner?

Coolio will probably unlock the secrets of the stove/turntable in exchange for some crack rocks.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Regulars have definitely been hit-or-miss, but when he gets guest pieces like the oral history of The National or the article from that female Boston Globe reporter or anything by Jane Leavy, those bring up the whole site.

Brotax
Jul 29, 2006

He's Mr. Snow.
To be fair, all I consistently read from Grantland is stuff either by Mark Titus or Chuck Klosterman. There's been a couple other articles here and there that have been decent, but Grantland is far from a frequent stop for me.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Stop reading Chuck Klosterman's articles

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Shane Ryan is really bad and unfunny, I like most of the other stuff, that's my Grantland story.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
As far as I can tell, the basketball content on Grantland tends to be better than the rest of their regular sports coverage. I do like Bill Barnwell's NFL stuff, though.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I was told something about ESPN recently that blew me away, figured this was the right thread. I have no idea if this is common knowledge and I should have already known it, but if you have cable, 20% of your cable bill goes right to ESPN. They bring in roughly 550 million dollars a month from cable companies before they ever sell a commercial. Makes the whole not-good-at-sports-reporting even more frustrating.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

mikeraskol posted:

I was told something about ESPN recently that blew me away, figured this was the right thread. I have no idea if this is common knowledge and I should have already known it, but if you have cable, 20% of your cable bill goes right to ESPN. They bring in roughly 550 million dollars a month from cable companies before they ever sell a commercial. Makes the whole not-good-at-sports-reporting even more frustrating.

They get the highest carriage fees on cable by far at this point, yeah.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Almost no sports media is actually good at sports.

Brotax
Jul 29, 2006

He's Mr. Snow.

mikeraskol posted:

I didn't know that, but I can't say it's all that surprising. I know that the only thing I really miss about not having cable is being able to watch things that ESPN covers. If I was going to get a cable subscription, I'd be getting it for sports, not to watch Swamp People. And I can think of at least a handful of people off the top of my head who would probably say the same thing.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

They get the highest carriage fees on cable by far at this point, yeah.

Estimates peg it at $4.69 per subscriber per month.

For perspective, TNT is around 99 cents, USA is 55 cents. In fact, almost every other channel is well under a dollar (most are even well under 50 cents).

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
ESPN has tons of exclusive content that's guaranteed to bring in eyeballs of males between 18-49 and has always been really aggressive in negotiating its carriage fees, but that's still way more than I would have expected

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Grantland is cool because they interviewed me that one time. :v:

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Mornacale posted:

Grantland is cool because they interviewed me that one time. :v:

Douchebag of the year is a prestigous award.!

Also, I know this is where folks usually post about established journalists, but can we also have a moment of hate for the Crossing Broad folks' upskirt routine today?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

barkingclam posted:

Simmons is also a hockey expert now, just years after trashing the NHL in his Red Sox book and saying the Bruins lost him as a fan. Funny what a Cup run will do.

It's not even the Bruins anymore either. Back in the fall he bought Kings season tickets and wrote about how great hockey is. Then he forgot about that once the NBA lockout ended, and surprise surprise started tooting their horn when the playoff rolled around because they beat Vancouver.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Hating Simmons is easy but he's been tweeting/writing about how much his daughter loves the Kings since last season at least. You can't hate someone for making their kid happy,

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's not even the Bruins anymore either. Back in the fall he bought Kings season tickets and wrote about how great hockey is. Then he forgot about that once the NBA lockout ended, and surprise surprise started tooting their horn when the playoff rolled around because they beat Vancouver.

Who cares. If it gets more people interested in hockey that's cool, but I just don't see why this bothers people.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

mikeraskol posted:

Who cares. If it gets more people interested in hockey that's cool, but I just don't see why this bothers people.

It only bothers me because he won't just come out and admit he's a frontrunner. With the Bruins, he used some BS excuse about hating the owners, even though that hadn't changed by the time they were in the Finals.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Indeed, isn't Simmons huge on having rules and poo poo to discern who is a True Fan (much like his absurd rankings for playoff heartbreak or whatever the gently caress)?

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

haljordan posted:

It only bothers me because he won't just come out and admit he's a frontrunner. With the Bruins, he used some BS excuse about hating the owners, even though that hadn't changed by the time they were in the Finals.
This tweet is one I saved from the Kessel trade, on September 18, 2009:

A thief of souls!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Zorkon posted:

This tweet is one I saved from the Kessel trade, on September 18, 2009:

A thief of souls!

I'm not a huge hockey fan; was it really an abominable trade or is it just Simmons overreacting again?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

haljordan posted:

I'm not a huge hockey fan; was it really an abominable trade or is it just Simmons overreacting again?

Toronto got Phil Kessel, Boston got two first round picks (one of which ended up being the second overall, which they used to draft Tyler Seguin) plus some other stuff. Boston made out like devils in that deal.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Boston made out like bandits in that trade.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I was gonna say, it couldn't have been too disastrous if they won the Cup in 2011.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

This is very true but we as a society like to prevent stupid people from harming themselves so often, using laws.

The thing that gets to me about the Sarah Phillips story re: freelance work is that she had a "spotless" online reputation when she was hired. It is very risky to just go by the Internet when looking for online writers.

...or commenting on a message board. :ninja:

Yeah I mean I'm not saying she shouldn't be prosecuted/exposed for scamming, it's just that I don't think this is the huge ~~MYSTERY~~ that Deadspin is running it as. Some idiots on the internet gave their money/websites/twitter pages to someone because they're idiots.

And really now that they're digging up her high school past and her relationship with this guy and her yearbook photos I think it's just tired and ridiculous

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
My hunch is on her getting sold on being a famous / rich e-personality, and that they started doing lots of shady stuff in her name that she didn't know that much about.

edit: They being that guy she knew or a group coming up with these get rich scams.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

stuart scott irl posted:

\And really now that they're digging up her high school past and her relationship with this guy and her yearbook photos I think it's just tired and ridiculous

To be fair I think that's Awful Announcing doing that and not Deadspin.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

stuart scott irl posted:

Yeah I mean I'm not saying she shouldn't be prosecuted/exposed for scamming, it's just that I don't think this is the huge ~~MYSTERY~~ that Deadspin is running it as. Some idiots on the internet gave their money/websites/twitter pages to someone because they're idiots.

And really now that they're digging up her high school past and her relationship with this guy and her yearbook photos I think it's just tired and ridiculous

I could understand the bit where everyone involved goes "well, she works for ESPN so I assume it has to be halfway legitimate" to an extent, but yeah the whole entire deal just sounded like a giant pyramid scheme or one of those emails where you send someone a ton of money and they make you a millionaire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Akileese posted:

I could understand the bit where everyone involved goes "well, she works for ESPN so I assume it has to be halfway legitimate" to an extent, but yeah the whole entire deal just sounded like a giant pyramid scheme or one of those emails where you send someone a ton of money and they make you a millionaire.

Well, you know, those e-mails exist because sometimes they work.