Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.

Grammar Fascist posted:

We have also been using Total Baby to track feeds and diapers. It's $4.99, but has been well worth it for the syncing, graphs/charts, ability to edit, and ease of use.

Finally, I'd like to introduce Miles Henry:

D'aww..... What an adorable babby! Congrats!!

I will second the Total Baby app. We used it constantly for the first three months -- when you are so sleep deprived you can't remember when you last fed or changed the baby. We still use it now to track weight/height, record vaccinations, and keep questions for the next doctor's appointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Awesome Kristin posted:

For my pain I try to keep my legs together when I'm getting into and out of bed, the car, or a chair. It's like a side-saddle motion. Sit down then swing your legs over.

This helped a lot! I also ended up practically baking myself with a heating pad. Not exactly healthy, but it helped enough to let me fall asleep right after.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?

Ben Davis posted:

This helped a lot! I also ended up practically baking myself with a heating pad. Not exactly healthy, but it helped enough to let me fall asleep right after.

Heating pads and massages ... check. I'll set myself up with those things :) No opioids for me, I'm allergic :)

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005
On the app front- Baby ESP is good if you have an android instead of an iphone :)

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

yawnie posted:

Sorry, I know this was a couple days ago, but I just saw it and wanted to share a link - I really question the recommendation by Medela to have their pumps be single user, at least in the case of the Pump In Style. I wonder if it's just a way for them to sell more pumps. If you replace the parts milk has touched (in most cases, milk doesn't even touch the tubes, but I would still replace them) then it seems INCREDIBLY unlikely to me that you could get "contamination from the motor" like they claim. Here's a link with pictures of someone taking apart the entire thing so you can really see how it works:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=238x3583

And some more info:
http://nigeltzeng.wordpress.com/2012/01/15/tech-tip-reusing-a-previously-owned-medela-pump-in-style-breast-pump/

The concern that I've heard highlighted the most isn't infectious diseases (since you presumably know the person that you're getting a used pump from), but mold in the motor. It's actually fairly easy to get milk or condensation into the tubes of a PISA and, therefore, into the motor. It's certainly a judgment call, but given that you also don't get Medela's fabulous warranty to protect against things like mold, I think it's worth having all that information before deciding if you want to purchase a new or a used pump (and whether you want to purchase a used pump that you can't take apart to inspect before committing).

Here's an admittedly biased article about Medela pumps and mold: http://www.justwestofcrunchy.com/2011/01/19/the-problems-with-medela/

If you want to buy a new pump, this is the absolute cheapest place I've seen: http://www.awaybabyessentials.com. I think Babies R Us is having a pretty decent sale on them right now too.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

The thing is, wouldn't you be just as likely to get mold in the motor from your own milk?

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

I think I may have post-partum depression. I'm going to try to get some help for this. I can't shake this malaise and I feel like I want to cry all the time for no reason. Then other times I just feel numb.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I think I may have post-partum depression. I'm going to try to get some help for this. I can't shake this malaise and I feel like I want to cry all the time for no reason. Then other times I just feel numb.

You can call your OB about this.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

You can call your OB about this.

My insurance works with a mental health group, so I'm calling them so they'll put me in touch with a therapist within the next 48 hours. From there, I'll see if I should be evaluated for medication. I'm hoping not, at least not on a permanent basis. I'd be willing to take something in the short term as long as it's coupled with therapy.

Tangent: How did you guys know when to go up a nipple size on bottles?

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Feel free to come on over to the FB group too if you want to talk more openly and aren't comfortable here. <3 There's a lot of people with a lot of supportive advice. Didn't you also have excruciatingly painful breastfeeding for a long time?

Way to go with starting the process of finding a therapist. That's one of the biggest steps.

Some people never switch over to bigger nipples, so I don't think there's a hard-and-fast rule.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
We finally got our pack-and-play, now that we're barreling down on the baby coming. To air it out a little (and make sure it was put together), we set it up in the living room--but now, the cat has determined that she very much likes curling up in the nice, soft bottom of it.

My wife and I are kind of uncertain if this is okay or not. Do we need to worry about the cat jumping in there, even after the baby comes? Should we keep the cat out? Or am I just worrying about stuff that isn't that important?

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.
Quick question about CIO stuff:

My daughter is almost 2 months. Sometimes at night she just cries and cries and cries for no reason. I've tried a lot of things and she spits the pacifier out after about two minutes and then starts crying again. I used to use the bouncer to calm her, but now we have an automatic swing and I play music for her and the mobile turns. I feel kind of bad leaving her in the swing crying but there's literally nothing I can do and she will just continue to scream even if I'm holding her or talking to her or anything. I guess I'm just curious as to if it's considered crying it out when she's being rocked by a swing as opposed to my arms. I don't want to be doing a bad thing if she's just crying on her own but it's so stressful to have to hold a screaming baby.

Let me add that she usually falls asleep or stops crying and is looking around after about 10 minutes of crying.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
My 2nd kid was a night-time screamer, every night at about 7 o'clock it kicked in. Have you tried the "the happiest baby" shushing and jiggling tricks? The DVD was helpful.

I would not be comfortable leaving my 2 month old to just scream in the swing. I would hold her and rock her and shush her and put the faucet on super loud and stand by it and try to comfort her. I would put her down to cry if I was about to lose my poo poo but then I would go outside and take deep breaths, get my poo poo back together, and go pick my baby back up.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

car dance posted:

Is she hungry? Is she dealing with teething pain? Does swaddling help? Is this middle of the night stuff or at night before bedtime stuff?

Idonie
Jun 5, 2011

car dance posted:

My daughter is almost 2 months. Sometimes at night she just cries and cries and cries for no reason. I've tried a lot of things and she spits the pacifier out after about two minutes and then starts crying again. I used to use the bouncer to calm her, but now we have an automatic swing and I play music for her and the mobile turns. I feel kind of bad leaving her in the swing crying but there's literally nothing I can do and she will just continue to scream even if I'm holding her or talking to her or anything. I guess I'm just curious as to if it's considered crying it out when she's being rocked by a swing as opposed to my arms. I don't want to be doing a bad thing if she's just crying on her own but it's so stressful to have to hold a screaming baby.

Let me add that she usually falls asleep or stops crying and is looking around after about 10 minutes of crying.

2 months is, IMO, too young to do CIO for sleep training, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're trying to do. If she quiets down in 10m in the swing and quiets down in 10m in your arms and it doesn't seem to make any difference which one you do, then I don't think there's anything wrong with the swing, and I say that as a super-cuddly parent. There were a few times when my daughter was older (5 months? 6 months?) when she'd wake up crying and I'd try holding her and it'd just make it worse and I finally realised that she _wanted to go back to sleep_ and all this holding and rocking and singing and everything was keeping her awake! But man, the guilt was huge.

Some other things to consider:
1. Has her diet changed at all regularly? If she's breast-feeding, has mom's diet changed? My daughter had a mild cow milk allergy; 4 hours after I ate something with milk in it the cow milk would get into my breast milk, and then the next time she nursed would be a disaster. This kept appearing at night because I'd eat ice cream for dessert, so for a while I thought she had a night sleep problem -- but nope, it was dairy allergy.

2. Six weeks from due date is when the baby starts doing night sleep organisation, which means bedtime needs to move a lot earlier. If you haven't moved bedtime earlier, or she's having trouble napping, she might be getting seriously over-tired and waking up adrenalised. Is she getting enough total sleep for her age?

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Axiem posted:

We finally got our pack-and-play, now that we're barreling down on the baby coming. To air it out a little (and make sure it was put together), we set it up in the living room--but now, the cat has determined that she very much likes curling up in the nice, soft bottom of it.

My wife and I are kind of uncertain if this is okay or not. Do we need to worry about the cat jumping in there, even after the baby comes? Should we keep the cat out? Or am I just worrying about stuff that isn't that important?

My cats were obsessed with all the baby stuff. "OH MY GOD, YOU BOUGHT ME A LITTLE BOUNCY CHAIR? THANK YOU! OOH! A STROLLER...FOR ME?" They loved to curl up and sleep in all of his stuff, right up until he was in it. They'd wander over, see him in there and just head for a different piece of equipment to curl up in. The only reason I'd worry about keeping the cats out of baby stuff is if they have inappropriate urination issues or puke a lot (It's the baby's job to cover everything in pee and vomit).

car dance
May 12, 2010

Diet hasn't changed. Tonight I woke her up at 6:30pm after her nap. I changed her and fed her and burped her. I walked around with her and she just would not stop crying. She was crying for almost 20 minutes which was longer than normal, so I changed her (was barely wet but though that may have contributed), tried to feed her more (rejected the bottle), tried the paci (rejected). So I took off all her clothes except the diaper and tried walking around with her. After about ten minutes of that, she burped a little. After a minute she started screaming again.

I guess I feel guilty because she was screaming like she was in pain but I just could not get her to burp or fart. My husband asked one of his work friends and he told me about a burping position that I hadn't heard of before -- "put a hand on her chest and on her back and just lean her back and forth to try to work some gas up" -- and it worked.

She also definitely didn't get enough sleep last night. That may be part of why it's so bad today. We don't really have a "routine" because I just let her wake when she wants and sleep when she wants and eat when she wants. I don't know if this is bad or if I should try to get her to sleep more. Last night she went to bed for the night at 12:30am after being asleep in her bouncer from like 9pm-11:30pm. She slept from 12:30am-6:00am and then from 6:30-9am, took a nap from 11-1 or so and then from 3:30-6:30. She finally is in the swing, possibly falling asleep. Thanks for your help. Sorry about the wall of text.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

car dance posted:

I guess I feel guilty because she was screaming like she was in pain but I just could not get her to burp or fart.

You can't make her expel gas any more than you can make her pee on schedule. You aren't responsible for her owies, even though it is the worst feeling in the world to have a baby cry and not be able to do anything about it.

If the problem really is intestinal gas, lying the baby on her back and "bicycling" her legs (make her ride an air bicycle with her knees going up to her tummy) may help. Some people with irritable babies have found that putting the baby in a seat on a running dryer may help; others swear by running the vacuum cleaner; mine would sometimes (not always) go to sleep when taken on a car ride.

Idonie
Jun 5, 2011

car dance posted:

She also definitely didn't get enough sleep last night. That may be part of why it's so bad today. We don't really have a "routine" because I just let her wake when she wants and sleep when she wants and eat when she wants. I don't know if this is bad or if I should try to get her to sleep more. Last night she went to bed for the night at 12:30am after being asleep in her bouncer from like 9pm-11:30pm. She slept from 12:30am-6:00am and then from 6:30-9am, took a nap from 11-1 or so and then from 3:30-6:30. She finally is in the swing, possibly falling asleep. Thanks for your help. Sorry about the wall of text.

I am happy to help, and sleep is my thing, so that's where I aim most of my advice! Letting her sleep when she wants to & wake up when she wants to is great, but you might try shifting things earlier, since it looks like she's got a couple of big windows of wakefulness which might be causing problems. You don't need to start watching the clock for naps until about 4 months, but at this stage it can really help to start shifting bedtime earlier, because then everything else will follow. Getting her around 16 hours of sleep out of 24 is *fantastic*, though.

I realise you only told me one day's schedule, and it might be really different on other days, but I'm just going with it in the hope that it'll help. It looks like she's getting a good solid chunk of night sleep, but 12.30-9am (with a 30m wake-up) is phase shifted enough that it's probably pushing all her daytime sleep later, which is why you're having to wake her up from that last nap in the early evening. Try cutting down on the big windows by reducing the time between naps; maybe put her down at 10.30 instead of 11, and then at 2.30 instead of 3.30, so you can put her down for her night sleep more like 7 or 8pm than 9pm. Then she'll probably wake up twice during the night, but she won't sleep as late, so everything will go earlier the next day, and so forth. She's little enough you might be able to get away with just shifting things abruptly, but if not you can try doing it in little increments; 20-30m earlier every few days.

You do not have PMs, but if this is helpful rather than insanely annoying, let me know & I can give you my email if you want it. I have hopes someday of being an infant sleep coach.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You can't make her expel gas any more than you can make her pee on schedule. You aren't responsible for her owies, even though it is the worst feeling in the world to have a baby cry and not be able to do anything about it.

If the problem really is intestinal gas, lying the baby on her back and "bicycling" her legs (make her ride an air bicycle with her knees going up to her tummy) may help. Some people with irritable babies have found that putting the baby in a seat on a running dryer may help; others swear by running the vacuum cleaner; mine would sometimes (not always) go to sleep when taken on a car ride.

White noise only seems to work at night, but I'll try out the bicycling thing to see if that helps. Thanks!

Idonie posted:

You do not have PMs, but if this is helpful rather than insanely annoying, let me know & I can give you my email if you want it. I have hopes someday of being an infant sleep coach.

The issue tends to be that if she goes to sleep around 9, she wakes up every 10 minutes and looks around and then goes back to sleep. The swing seems to be a lot more helpful for that since when I bounce her I eventually have to stop since my legs get tired and the swing is more consistent. I'd love to get more advice about this since she's at the stage where she's not sleeping 24/7 but I don't want to feel like I'm forcing her to sleep too much and not stimulating her at all.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Bodnoirbabe posted:

My insurance works with a mental health group, so I'm calling them so they'll put me in touch with a therapist within the next 48 hours. From there, I'll see if I should be evaluated for medication. I'm hoping not, at least not on a permanent basis. I'd be willing to take something in the short term as long as it's coupled with therapy.

Tangent: How did you guys know when to go up a nipple size on bottles?

There's no shame in needing medication, even for a little while. I started anti depressants toward the end of my pregnancy and I'm still on them. They make a world of difference and I will more than likely be going off of them in the coming months. Talking can help but sometimes you just need a little extra help and that's okay.

As for the nipple, my daughter hasn't changed yet and she's nearly 4 months (Oh noes! I have to move to the other board!). We tried and its too fast of a flow even with the next step up. She gets really frustrated so we switched back to the slow flow and she's fine. I wouldn't sweat it. Baby will let you know if the flow isn't fast enough or is too fast.

Prolonged Shame
Sep 5, 2004

We went up a nipple size about a week ago (babby is 4.5 months). He was starting to get distracted while eating and look around the whole time and it was taking forever to feed him. The faster nipple makes it possible to feed him an entire bottle before it is time for his next feeding.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
That sounds like colic, which is the worst. I've always said that if I had another with colic, I'd put on noise cancelling headphones and listen to music while baby screamed in a wrap on me.

EDIT: Dairy/corn/soy sensitivity could also be the culprit.

Moms Stuffing fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 4, 2012

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Guys I need help. I'm in total agony from heartburn that will not go away. I've tried Tums, gasX, and Zantac but nothing is helping. I can't drink milk because of lactose intolerance. Jesus I just want to cry. If I take anymore Tums I'm going to poo poo out a chalkboard.

Advice anyone?

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007

Stairs posted:

Guys I need help. I'm in total agony from heartburn that will not go away. I've tried Tums, gasX, and Zantac but nothing is helping. I can't drink milk because of lactose intolerance. Jesus I just want to cry. If I take anymore Tums I'm going to poo poo out a chalkboard.

Advice anyone?

Bread. It always worked for me. Or anything sweet and heavy also worked. There are some decent soy/coconut/almond ice creams now; that might help too.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Have you tried lactose free milk? When I was drinking regular milk it would make my intestines rumple all night, but when I switched to lactose free I never had any problems.

piejinks
Mar 29, 2010

Stairs posted:

Advice anyone?

Saltine crackers helped settle my stomach.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My wife had super bad and constant acid reflux as her pregnancy progressed. She wasn't able to do much for it except it helps to not lay horizontally. Adding an extra pillow on your bed is insufficient, as that just raises your head. Changing the angle of your torso is key.

Of course, that only helps at night, and your daytime reflux will still be what it is.

However! She did realize about a day after birth that it was gone, so suddenly that it caught her off guard. She knew that it should go away, of course, but it was a complete and total alleviation of the problem the MOMENT the baby came out, so you can at least look forward to that? :)

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Stairs posted:

Advice anyone?

This is probably not news to you, but if you aren't already doing it, staying upright is helpful. No reason to let gravity help that acid climb upwards. Sit up rather than lying down if you're reading, watching TV, relaxing, etc. Some people with chronic heartburn even permanently elevate the head of their beds a few inches.

Again, probably something you already knew, but you can never tell what people already know about and what they don't.

EDIT: Beaten by seconds.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Stairs posted:

Advice anyone?

I never had heartburn but I did have reflux (sometimes the contents of my stomach would just randomly end up in the back of my throat when I laid down or burped) and my doc said it was fine to take Prilosec every day.

car dance
May 12, 2010

I'm sorry your heartburn is so awful. I never had heartburn in my life before I got pregnant and, like Bad Munki's wife, I also never have had it in the two months since my daughter was born. I had it almost every day during my pregnancy and woke up choking on acid a few times. Tums helped somewhat but not much as did Zantac. I think soy milk or almond milk may help also. It's pretty much because it's a thick cold liquid so anything similar you could find. Try liquid antacids too if you haven't. Those helped. Also small meals. I just tried to think positively about it since I knew it would go away once she was born, and it did.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

I had some rough heartburn during my first pregnancy, and I just chewed a LOT of gum during the day. Worked like a charm.

At night, I'd sleep propped up with pillows.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
I also only get heartburn while pregnant, and one thing that helped me was tiny sips of icy cold water. I only mention it because no one has hit on that one. You never know which trick will be the one to give you some relief.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
So my wife and I are considering getting pregnant around August and we haven't read anything yet. My wife just finished a child psychology book and she wants to read something pregnancy related during her break at work.

I was thinking what we both need to read is a really good, modern, science based book about pregnancy and nutrition, especially something with a focus on brain development. Any other really good books on pregnancy would be fantastic as well.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Any advice on sore boobs? I'm only about 6 weeks along, so it's still super early, but my boobies are killing me! Ice in the bra? Going bra-less? Rubbing on aloe or some other topical cream?

I weaned Bruce a few months ago so I'm not currently nursing.

Ashes_to_ashton
May 2, 2005
Rocky Horror is my Love
The only thing I did that helped was to wear camisoles with built in bras since traditional bras were murderous my first trimester. Some people suggested sports bras, but the thought of yanking them over my head and then over my chest made me want to cry. Now that I'm in my third trimester I practically live in sports bras though!

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

VorpalBunny posted:

Any advice on sore boobs? I'm only about 6 weeks along, so it's still super early, but my boobies are killing me! Ice in the bra? Going bra-less? Rubbing on aloe or some other topical cream?

I've been wearing a sports bra to bed since about 5 weeks. That helps me a lot.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

VorpalBunny posted:

Whatever you do don't go bra-less. That would put strain on your already strained boobs and cause stretch marks. Creams won't really help because the problem is internal rather than dryness or irritation. Get yourself a cotton stretchy sports bra a cup size bigger than you usually wear and try to lay on your side as much as possible. Warm packs probably also will help with the swelling and pain. Good luck, I know how bad early boob pain can be, I gained a cup and a half between week 6 and week 8!

Also an update about my heartburn: I went to the OB and she determined my babby is turned head-up and is pushing sharply upwards. I'm on pepsid AC now and hopefully this will clear up once she shifts her little butt the right way around.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Nursing tanks also work well for support if you don't have giant boobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Had my 12 week ultrasound. The scary one where they do all sorts of measurements. Everything went well! The only downside is they want me to get a test to see if I'm a carrier for Ataxia telangiectasia since my cousin has it so I have a 25% chance. Only one lab tests for it and of course its out of network so it would be about $5000. I think we might just take our chances. There isn't much I could do now anyway. It would be nice to know if I'm a carrier since there's a big increased risk of cancer if you are, but I can wait for it to be covered by insurance. My regular visit with my ob is tomorrow. I have their bill and the paper from my insurance saying how much I actually owe so I'll get that sorted out tomorrow.