Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

diospadre posted:

Steam AND lack of GFWL? This is more than I dared to dream of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
The only way it could be better is a Cerebella hat in TF2.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Man I think I'm going to buy it again when it hits PC. Just because there would be so many more people to play against unlike the 360 version.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

PalmTreeFun posted:

The only way it could be better is a Cerebella hat in TF2.

All-Class Sampson :colbert:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Mega Comrade posted:

Steam and cross-platform play? Oh Mike Z, you spoil us.

Seriously this is excellent, the possibility of a dead PC community had me a little worried.
It makes me sad that we can't get cross-platform play on the 360, but at least I can use my 360 sticks on the PC. I'm fine with giving another $15 to Reverge.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
I've been really hoping for a PC release of Skullgirls. I don't actually play fighting games, I have no experience whatsoever, but the amount of charm and character this game has makes me want to play it and learn to play the genre (at least casually). Plus, from what I've read the tutorials are designed for completely new players. A distant friend of mine has been playing non-stop with his wife since release and has been having a blast. It'll be nice to have a sparing partner.

Just out of curiosity, the only controller I have is a Logitech gamepad. Will I be fine playing against the AI with this or should I try to invest in an arcade stick from the get go, and if so, which brand?

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Cicero posted:

It makes me sad that we can't get cross-platform play on the 360, but at least I can use my 360 sticks on the PC. I'm fine with giving another $15 to Reverge.

Is it possible to release a GFWL version that cross platforms with the Xbox? Not saying they should, just wondering if it's even possible to interface a PC title with an Xbox title. Never heard/read anything about something like this happening.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
It happened before with Shadowrun, I think, then was soon shoved aside.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Is it possible to release a GFWL version that cross platforms with the Xbox? Not saying they should, just wondering if it's even possible to interface a PC title with an Xbox title. Never heard/read anything about something like this happening.

It's possible, Shadowrun did it. And then flopped horribly because as an FPS it's not possible to have cross-platform play without mouse users being unstoppable gods, which probably tainted the whole idea for a long time.

EDIT: Well, not possible unless you gimp mouse controls horribly. Got my games mixed up there, but this isn't fg related anyways.

Also the 360 has really strict rules about how often you're allowed to update, what kind of matchmaking you use, etc, all of which sabotage the advantages of playing on a PC if you're trying to make the two compatible.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 3, 2012

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's possible, Shadowrun did it. And then flopped horribly because as an FPS it's not possible to have cross-platform play without mouse users being unstoppable gods, which probably tainted the whole idea for a long time.

Also the 360 has really strict rules about how often you're allowed to update, what kind of matchmaking you use, etc, all of which sabotage the advantages of playing on a PC if you're trying to make the two compatible.

Yeah but if it was GFWL it would basically be in the same stranglehold as the Xbox version anyway. I'm not saying it's an ideal solution, but it would theoretically allow someone on PC to game with an Xbox friend.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

misterdoo01 posted:

Just out of curiosity, the only controller I have is a Logitech gamepad. Will I be fine playing against the AI with this or should I try to invest in an arcade stick from the get go, and if so, which brand?

You'll be fine. If you end up getting serious about it and want a stick, you can't go wrong with MadCatz, but I know several people who do fine with pad at high level (also I can body my friends with pad) so I wouldn't worry about it too much especially if you're not trying to go to tournaments or anything.

E: this is assuming your pad has 8 buttons (4 face + 2 shoulder + 2 trigger or 6 face + 2 shoulder) because if not you might have a hard time.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 3, 2012

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

Jmcrofts posted:

You'll be fine. If you end up getting serious about it and want a stick, you can't go wrong with MadCatz, but I know several people who do fine with pad at high level (also I can body my friends with pad) so I wouldn't worry about it too much especially if you're not trying to go to tournaments or anything.

E: this is assuming your pad has 8 buttons (4 face + 2 shoulder + 2 trigger or 6 face + 2 shoulder) because if not you might have a hard time.

It's got that exact configuration:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/controllers/devices/7360

Except the face buttons aren't colored and are numbered instead of lettered. I'm surprised to hear "MadCatz" and "you can't go wrong with" in the same sentence, however. I always thought the company had a negative reputation overall.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

misterdoo01 posted:

I'm surprised to hear "MadCatz" and "you can't go wrong with" in the same sentence, however. I always thought the company had a negative reputation overall.

Basically, a Smart Dude joined up with Mad Catz in 2008 and designed their new arcade sticks which are modular, good-looking, well-priced, and use the best parts available. See the Fighting Game Thread OP for details.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

misterdoo01 posted:

It's got that exact configuration:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/controllers/devices/7360

Except the face buttons aren't colored and are numbered instead of lettered. I'm surprised to hear "MadCatz" and "you can't go wrong with" in the same sentence, however. I always thought the company had a negative reputation overall.
I have a couple of Logitech gamepads in that same style/series and in my opinion they have excellent dpads, possibly the best I've ever used.

Edit: but it's possible you might find not having six face buttons annoying, since Skullgirls has six attack buttons.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 3, 2012

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Well, it's good to hear the MadCatz stepped it's game up. I still have nightmares about my old N64 controller from them. And yeah, the D-Pad on this Logitech is pretty good. Great for emulated games.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

misterdoo01 posted:

Well, it's good to hear the MadCatz stepped it's game up. I still have nightmares about my old N64 controller from them. And yeah, the D-Pad on this Logitech is pretty good. Great for emulated games.

I wouldn't necessarily use that as an endorsement of non-arcade stick Madcatz products, but their TE sticks are definitely top notch.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Heeeey PS3 Users. Europe messes everything up AGAIN! Probably because their health bars are in meters or hectagrams or something weird.

A Notice to PSN Players

May 3rd, 2012
Written By: Peter Bartholow

We have received a handful of reports that the PSN version of Skullgirls crashes when a player using the European version tries to play against someone using the North American version.

We are currently investigating the issue, and will begin work on a fix as soon as the problem is identified.

In the meantime, the best way for PS3 users to minimize the potential for crashes when playing online is to limit your online play to players in the region from which you purchased the game.

This means that…

If you live in North America and purchased the game from the North American store, you should limit your online play to North American players
If you live in Europe and purchased the game from the European store, you should limit your online play to European players
If you live in Europe and purchased the game from the North American store, you should limit your online play to North American players

Know that everyone at Reverge Labs and Autumn Games will do everything in our power to address this problem as quickly as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience, and appreciate your patience.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Cicero posted:

Blame Microsoft for having strict rules on their networks.
With the launch of Xbox live on PCs with Windows 8 things might change though.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Mega Comrade posted:

With the launch of Xbox live on PCs with Windows 8 things might change though.

Wait what, gently caress. Can't wait to play 50 bucks a month to play PC online.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

PalmTreeFun posted:

Wait what, gently caress. Can't wait to play 50 bucks a month to play PC online.

There's no way Microsoft could actually charge anyone $50 to play PC games online, unless the game was routed through Windows Live (or in the current case, GFWL). If Microsoft somehow found a way to charge people money to play games online outside their infrastructure and started doing it, I would not at all be surprised if several Microsoft staff member's families started turning up dead.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

PalmTreeFun posted:

What world do you live in where XBL costs $50 a month?

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

What world do you live in where XBL costs $50 a month?

USA. It was that much when I used to play on XBL, I think the price has actually gone up.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Gold is $8/mo, under $7/mo if you buy three months and about $4/mo if you buy 12, with deeper discounts fairly frequently.

Personally I grabbed about five months when it dropped to $1/mo and picked up a year for $30 ($2.50/mo) later on.

I have no idea what you're on about if you think it costs $50/mo.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

flatluigi posted:

Gold is $8/mo, under $7/mo if you buy three months and about $4/mo if you buy 12, with deeper discounts fairly frequently.

Personally I grabbed about five months when it dropped to $1/mo and picked up a year for $30 ($2.50/mo) later on.

I have no idea what you're on about if you think it costs $50/mo.

I routinely find 12month XBL gold cards for $15US. I am yet to pay full price for XBL.

So, with the announcement of Skullgirls coming to PC, can we then assume that it was moderately successful and therefore the aforementioned 'DLC if we are successful' should be a given?

Rapido Edit: Also start an online petition to change 'Panzerfausts' name to 'Panzerfist' - the pun is too good to pass up :colbert:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

I routinely find 12month XBL gold cards for $15US. I am yet to pay full price for XBL.

Dang, where? I'd love to pick up a few and be set for the next few years.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
Yeah, I can not imagine where these numbers are coming from. The most I ever paid for Gold was roughly $50 for an entire year and that's because I didn't wait or hunt around for any specials or discounts.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

So, with the announcement of Skullgirls coming to PC, can we then assume that it was moderately successful and therefore the aforementioned 'DLC if we are successful' should be a given?

Rapido Edit: Also start an online petition to change 'Panzerfausts' name to 'Panzerfist' - the pun is too good to pass up :colbert:

http://www.vg247.com/2012/04/27/skullgirls-sales-top-50000-in-ten-days/

They sold pretty well in the first 10 days.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Look up what Panzerfaust means. ;)

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Mr. Fun posted:

Look up what Panzerfaust means. ;)

Somewhere along the line I thought it meant tank buster. I feel like a loving idiot now.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

PalmTreeFun posted:

They actually tried to charge for Games For Windows Live Gold in its early days, but it bombed so hard they made it free and gave people refunds. Even back then though, you were still able to play online for free.

I really doubt theyll try that again, especially with so many free and better options out there.

Edit: Plus XBL never cost that much. Maybe youre thinking per YEAR?

Jewel
May 2, 2009

There's a new Skullgirls post.

http://revergelabs.com/2012/05/cons...board-wednesday

Skullgirls is officially coming to PC within the next few months.

I'm so happy :swoon:

Edit: Hahah I'm late, I didn't notice that this newer article from the team cites an article that came out earlier. Disregard me~

Edit2: vvv The main reason why I won't buy Skullgirls on the XBox.

Jewel fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 3, 2012

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Gutcruncher posted:

Edit: Plus XBL never cost that much. Maybe youre thinking per YEAR?

Yeah my bad, sorry. Still sucks though. I mean it's not much, but I am a penny pincher think it's kind of silly that Xbox is the only console where you have to pay to play online.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 3, 2012

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Well it's online features are certainly better than PSN's. Not even going to bother comparing it to Wii.

Mr Fixit
Mar 7, 2008
I've been hesitant to get into the hornet bomber discussion, because I was hoping that the community would come up with some tech that would serve as a feasible counter, and I felt it was perhaps too early to start considering poo poo broken.

Unfortunately, a few people have taken to actively trolling the local weekly tourny with the assist to the point where they have killed the interest in the game, and now Skullgirls is being dropped off the list after just 2 weeks.

Now you could argue my local scene is a bunch of fickle bitches who were just waiting to go back to KOF, and I would have to agree, but that doesn't help the fact that now I'm back to playing this online only, and it is literally due to this one damned assist.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PalmTreeFun posted:

Yeah my bad, sorry. Still sucks though. I mean it's not much, but I am a penny pincher think it's kind of silly that Xbox is the only console where you have to pay to play online.

Its 60 dollars a year, that's one full priced game. It also has better online than either 2 competitors, plus there are XBL sales on amazon all the time where you can get 12 months card for 40 bucks.

I don't like the ads on XBL but neither do I find them intrusive.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Mr Fixit posted:

I've been hesitant to get into the hornet bomber discussion, because I was hoping that the community would come up with some tech that would serve as a feasible counter, and I felt it was perhaps too early to start considering poo poo broken.

Unfortunately, a few people have taken to actively trolling the local weekly tourny with the assist to the point where they have killed the interest in the game, and now Skullgirls is being dropped off the list after just 2 weeks.

Now you could argue my local scene is a bunch of fickle bitches who were just waiting to go back to KOF, and I would have to agree, but that doesn't help the fact that now I'm back to playing this online only, and it is literally due to this one damned assist.

If I had a local scene that played KOF I doubt I'd be playing much of this either since KOF is the only fighting game of this gen (other than MvC3) where moving around actually feels good/not incredibly slow. I really thought Skullgirls was going to be another game on that list but nope! Has the same molasses feeling as SF4, although admittedly not as bad. I still like the game well enough but really the solid online is what's keeping me at it.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Mr Fixit posted:

Why didn't the weekly tourney just ban the assist instead of dropping the game? drat you guys really were looking for an excuse to play KOF.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

PalmTreeFun posted:

I highly doubt they will charge. Its just a re-branding. Microsoft are so far behind Steam in the PC market already they couldn't afford to do this.

XBL gets away with its current charge because it offers such a better service compared to its competitors. On PC this isn't true at all (with GFWL at least) it's even behind Origin in terms of quality.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Rootbeer Baron posted:

Why didn't the weekly tourney just ban the assist instead of dropping the game? drat you guys really were looking for an excuse to play KOF.

Banning the assist would be really dumb, the whole point is to pick the good assists and use them. If some of them make the game not at all fun (hint: double doesn't) then it is a bad game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

Jeffrey posted:

Banning the assist would be really dumb, the whole point is to pick the good assists and use them. If some of them make the game not at all fun (hint: double doesn't) then it is a bad game!

"If there are a few assists in the game that diminish some fun that we can ignore, then the entire game is terrible" is all I got out of that. Just based on my observations over the years, there doesn't exist a fighting game where there aren't some balance issues or characters or moves that hinder the fun of the game, and going off your definition, that means all fighting games are bad.

Of course, I might be over analyzing or misinterpreting, and if I am, I apologize. :goonsay:

• Locked thread