Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Unless they copy the exact same design and AI for each mob from a mod, I'm not sure how anyone could accuse them of stealing. Mo Creatures did not invent the turtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Internet Kraken posted:

Unless they copy the exact same design and AI for each mob from a mod, I'm not sure how anyone could accuse them of stealing. Mo Creatures did not invent the turtle.

You're operating under the assumption that people in the Minecraft community/on the internet are rational.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Aussie Dingbat posted:

Mindcrak UHC Season 5 Episode 4

Guude is so hosed, but whatever way he dies, it's shaping up to be spectacular.

Aussie Dingbat
Apr 21, 2012

Dingbat from Down Under

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

When that skeleton got him I thought he was done for, but it'll be interesting to see how he fairs in the neather, it'd be funny if he went through and died like a minute later, but on the other hand he's the underdog at the moment and I'd love him to kill enough ghasts to heal himself back up and have a shot at winning.

Also he got extra lucky, at around 9:20 in on Nebris' video you can see Guude's nameplate for a brief moment and hear him minning away, and the guy literally walks right over the top of him.

Internet Kraken posted:

Look at what happened when Notch put in pistons, some people just like to hate on Notch no matter what the reason.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I really wish that Kurt hadn't changed his mind about going back down to build the nether portal. That would've been hilarious if they had finished them at around the same time.

Aussie Dingbat
Apr 21, 2012

Dingbat from Down Under
Can't wait for Etho's next episode, he has the advantage in health over Doc (Full Health vs. 2.5 hearts), who he's been secretly tracking for the last few minutes of the episode, but Doc does have a Diamond Sword. (Which will only be useful if he doesn't throw it away mid-combat);)

Also Reddit user Gomerick drew some pictures of the two deaths so far that aren't half bad.
Episode 2 Death:Doc kills Pakratt
Episode 3 Death:Guude kills Zisteau

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
I just want a deer or something. A source of meat that doesn't require fishing/farming/breeding, a ton of luck, or generating more world to not run out of.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
SethBling (that redstone genius guy) playing a weird map made out of nothing but a grid of random blocks.

http://www.twitch.tv/SethBling

Come watch, it's kind of fun.

Aussie Dingbat
Apr 21, 2012

Dingbat from Down Under

PalmTreeFun posted:

SethBling (that redstone genius guy) playing a weird map made out of nothing but a grid of random blocks.

That's so trippy, blocks of all kinds everywhere. It's kinda reminds me of Skyblock, but taken to a crazy extreme.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Tobaccrow posted:

I just want a deer or something. A source of meat that doesn't require fishing/farming/breeding, a ton of luck, or generating more world to not run out of.

How would deer be any different than pigs/chickens/cows that spawn now? Or are you figuring they'd have a much higher spawn rate?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

CaptainCaveman posted:

How would deer be any different than pigs/chickens/cows that spawn now? Or are you figuring they'd have a much higher spawn rate?

Deer would flee if you got too close or something. Boar would attack you if you attacked them first. Forests could have bears. Mountains could have goats. Then you get into biome specific rare spawns like a yeti, a death worm, a swamp creature, a sea monster, etc.

The game could also really use some more enemy variety now, especially with loot tables and enchanted items.

Revenant, chance to drop enchanted armor pieces/sword
Zombie warrior, chance to drop leather armor, iron sword (rarely enchanted)
Mummy, chance to drop alchemy related drops.

All of these could be uncommon spawns mostly tied to dungeons and the like.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 3, 2012

Aussie Dingbat
Apr 21, 2012

Dingbat from Down Under
BdoubleO got pretty lucky there, 8 Diamonds right next to each other, which I guess makes up for his luck when it came to that block respawning and damaging him. Though I think he should have made a pick, gone and got some of that obsidian, found some reeds and then made an enchantment table, as well as the sword. Or if he really wanted armour, should have made boots instead of a helmet, same protection, less diamonds. But I guess hindsight is 20/20.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The game could use more peaceful and hostile mobs, hopefully not just reskins of existing ones either. I really like endermen because they function differently from the other hostile mobs, though the block moving mechanic is pretty pointless.

Another thing I'd like to see is oceans that aren't just barren wastelands of dirt and sand. Algae, sea grass, and coral covering the ocean floor would be neat. And maybe if a ravine generates in the ocean it becomes a trench, filled with giant isopods and xenophyophores.

But there are tons of things Minecraft could use. I just hope we don't get more weird crap like the end.

VVVV Mummies are cool :colbert:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 3, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

Deer would flee if you got too close or something. Boar would attack you if you attacked them first. Forests could have bears. Mountains could have goats. Then you get into biome specific rare spawns like a yeti, a death worm, a swamp creature, a sea monster, etc.

The game could also really use some more enemy variety now, especially with loot tables and enchanted items.

Revenant, chance to drop enchanted armor pieces/sword
Zombie warrior, chance to drop leather armor, iron sword (rarely enchanted)
Mummy, chance to drop alchemy related drops.

All of these could be uncommon spawns mostly tied to dungeons and the like.

No more undead/zombies. Please, for the love of god. We already have the obligatory zombie, we don't need to go further down that horrible trend.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I would just prefer more natural predators. Bears, a hostile type of wolf? Hyenas? I'd rather see more dangerous animals before more of the common RPG mob staples.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
If we're going to talk about enemies that we'd like to see in the game, I'd like to see some more unusual and imaginative mobs. None of this horse / cat / monkey poo poo. Give me something that takes more than 10 seconds to think up.

For example, that stupid little wooden "Grove Sprite" that was in a mod for Minecraft beta? The one that came in different flavors, and had an evil version that would generate in forest fires? Give me poo poo like that.

gently caress your wolves and bears. :colbert:

I'd like to see the villager code taken and applied to caves, and instead of peaceful villagers + villages being generated, you'd get blind troll villages. Or some sort of sentient squid creature, real Cthulhu-like.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 3, 2012

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Man it is rough being a Baj fan sometimes....

I hope they do teams again next and he gets to kill some people.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'd like to see the villager code taken and applied to caves, and instead of peaceful villagers + villages being generated, you'd get blind troll villages. Or some sort of sentient squid creature, real Cthulhu-like.

That would solve how boring mining is too. I was digging under the ocean I had a squid clip through the water and I didn't like it and it put me out of my comfort zone :ohdear:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Avocados posted:

I would just prefer more natural predators. Bears, a hostile type of wolf? Hyenas? I'd rather see more dangerous animals before more of the common RPG mob staples.

Yeah, gently caress staple RPG mobs, we need wolves and bears!

Let's use the exact same "bear attack" sound clips that every RPG in the world does too.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Maybe the default en masse enemy could be... orcs or something. Anything but the undead.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
We have pigmen, we need cowmen...er, minotaurs. Minotaurs might be fun.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

PalmTreeFun posted:

This looks like it would be really fun to play.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Notch should have just used the pigmen model for the villagers. I'm still not sure what the minecraft villagers are supposed to be.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

If we're going to talk about enemies that we'd like to see in the game, I'd like to see some more unusual and imaginative mobs. None of this horse / cat / monkey poo poo. Give me something that takes more than 10 seconds to think up.

Emus.

quote:

I think it'd be neat if there were underground dwarf villages/mining towns or something. Seems really logical when you have a mining game with fantasy themes, and generated villages, you know?

Oh but wait, we're not allowed to talk about things we want to see added to vanilla Minecraft. :(

Aussie Dingbat
Apr 21, 2012

Dingbat from Down Under

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Maybe the default en masse enemy could be... orcs or something. Anything but the undead.

They could take inspiration from Terraria and have large armies of mobs like this attack the player once every night in a blue moon. Not common enough that it gets ridiculous, but not rare enough that you wouldn't have to set up a reasonable amount of defences.

BlueBayou posted:

I hope they do teams again next and he gets to kill some people.

I'd like more than two teams, if they did teams again, that way they still have to deal with the whole "we could take them out, but in doing so we'd be screwed when we run into the other team(s)" thing they have in the FFA matches.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Aussie Dingbat posted:

They could take inspiration from Terraria and have large armies of mobs like this attack the player once every night in a blue moon. Not common enough that it gets ridiculous, but not rare enough that you wouldn't have to set up a reasonable amount of defences.

Goblin sieges in Terraria were terrible though. Early on they presented a challenge, but once you got good gear they were just a nuisance. Plus you could just cheese them with traps. Terraria didn't feel like it was built for big long battles like that, and neither does Minecraft.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Dude, Guude is annoying to watch sometimes, man

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

GreatKesh posted:

Dude, Guude is annoying to watch sometimes, man

Agreed. He's really solid sometimes, but other times... uuggghhhhh

Etho is about the only person I can consistently watch. And Baj to some degree. A lot of the other guys are kinda tools half the time.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

BlueBayou posted:

Agreed. He's really solid sometimes, but other times... uuggghhhhh

Etho is about the only person I can consistently watch. And Baj to some degree. A lot of the other guys are kinda tools half the time.

I'll watch them from now on then I guess

Is there anyway to change my account name? I was gifted the account and it's got a lovely name

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I don't know if anyone is still using it or who runs it, but's whats the deal with GoonSkins lately? Some non-goon jackasses seem to have found it and are spamming poo poo skins into it.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I've been out of the internet for a good five months and minecraft for about a year. Any giant awesome new points i should know about?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

I've been out of the internet for a good five months and minecraft for about a year. Any giant awesome new points i should know about?
You can get apples from destroying leaves on trees now. Otherwise I think things are pretty much the same.

Edit: And some minor bug fixes, I guess.

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!
There's also a terrible ending!

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Get this- you can now place stairs upsidedown.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mr Phillby posted:

Get this- you can now place stairs upsidedown.

But only with one type of wood. Also, cats.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Matazat posted:

I have a hard time understanding why Mojang hasn't done this yet because it seems like the absolute perfect idea for the next big content pack. Are they just afraid that people will accuse them of copying that one mod that adds a bunch of animals and stuff?

They haven't really focused in on the simulation and AI elements for MC the way that DF has. DF was basically built from the ground up to be a world generation simulator, complete with flora and fauna that interact with codified behaviors.

MC started as a use your imagination and build something sandbox.

I don't think adding that stuff would necessarily raise concerns that they were copying DF per se, I just think it would be an incredibly intricate undertaking to create an entity based ecosystem like DF into an already built up game. That would take some pretty profound coding.

Aussie Dingbat
Apr 21, 2012

Dingbat from Down Under

GreatKesh posted:

Is there anyway to change my account name? I was gifted the account and it's got a lovely name

Not at the moment, although Jeb said on twitter that Mollstam (the web and online stuff guy at mojang) is currently working on it.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
http://www.mojang.com/2012/05/minecraft-snapshot-12w18a/

Well that's interesting, the latest snapshot starts the process of turning the single player into a locally hosted multiplayer world. This is one of the things I'm really interested in so hopefully they fix many SMP glitches now that they'll be one and the same. I also thought the bit on inviting players into world is awesome. I've always wanted to be able to play with a friend or two without having to have a server client running draining resources.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Disappointing Pie posted:

http://www.mojang.com/2012/05/minecraft-snapshot-12w18a/

Well that's interesting, the latest snapshot starts the process of turning the single player into a locally hosted multiplayer world. This is one of the things I'm really interested in so hopefully they fix many SMP glitches now that they'll be one and the same. I also thought the bit on inviting players into world is awesome. I've always wanted to be able to play with a friend or two without having to have a server client running draining resources.

This update could possibly be the best update. Or at least version 1.0 of said 'best update'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
I was actually joking around about this last night about when or even if Jeb was ever going to get around to this, great news!