Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

FlashBangBob posted:

Iirc, you just entered in your serial online and got a code to download it from the App Store.

Correct.

But it was still a drama at the Genius Bar.

Consumers understand 'Free download' but are struck by debilitating idiocy when it comes to 'enter your Apple ID to continue'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Bob Morales posted:

Look at this guy, he thinks Apple would so something because it makes sense.

I generalize from my way of thinking and you from yours, with the results speaking for themselves. Thank you for your incredibly helpful post!

I don't think Apple got to where they are now by just doing random poo poo, but you're welcome to.

At any rate: If they had planned to just make some pedestrian additions to the MBPs, they'd be out by now. At this point I'd think they're waiting for some planned non-CPU hardware to get ready or they're planning to release all three MBP sizes at the same time when the dual-core Ivy Bridge CPUs are out.

And I doubt that the imbeciles (well, maybe there were a few legit cases also) who had trouble with installing Lion have cost Apple more than the benefits of having their hardware out earlier last year. If releasing operating systems would be a net negative, Apple wouldn't plan on decreasing the intervals to 50%.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

I'm mostly thinking it would make sense if they're going to do some major hardware updates and release them at the same time as mountain lion as a "holy poo poo it's all new!" kind of thing. Apple does weird poo poo though so who knows!

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There are reasons to delay a spec bump. Apple is pretty frugal about their component orders, so if they can sell a specific model for a few months longer, delaying the refurb store markdowns and so on, they will.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

There are reasons to delay a spec bump. Apple is pretty frugal about their component orders, so if they can sell a specific model for a few months longer, delaying the refurb store markdowns and so on, they will.

Well yeah, and if they could sell the same thing forever, they'd do that also. The problem with that strategy is just that people are going to expect even Apple to incorporate new CPUs into their computers at some point. When Sandy Bridge came out, they had the new MBPs out the same week if I remember correctly.

Just to make sure, what we're waiting on here for the MBPs isn't just a "spec bump" (in Apple terms), that was what came out last October. We're waiting for upgraded CPUs (and hopefully other things such as displays).

Anyway, the question was why, all things being equal and having an actual market out there, it would make sense to hold back new hardware until a new OS version comes out. And I've seen no technical justification and a very weak and speculative business one.

CaptainMidnight
May 1, 2012
Did anyone hear about the 17 inch MBP's that are being discontinued by Apple? I always thought those were to big. I'll take the 15 inch MBP.

CaptainMidnight fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 3, 2012

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

CaptainMidnight posted:

Did anyone here
I here

CaptainMidnight posted:

about the 17 inch MBP's that are being discontinued by Apple? I always thought those were to big. I'll take the 15 inch MBP.
But only with "Tiger 10.5" please, because you like that best. Don't buy "Troll Captain Midnight 10.4" or something. I won't.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Here's a theory - by ditching the optical drive they add enough battery life to handle a retina display in the Pro laptops without having to design a new, or bigger case.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Or, we're going to install the operating system on built in 64-128GB SSDs and give you a spinning drive for storage, standard across all laptops.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

CaptainMidnight posted:

Did anyone here about the 17 inch MBP's that are being discontinued by Apple? I always thought those were to big. I'll take the 15 inch MBP.

They cost more to make and sell the least, and Apple really needs more money!

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

FlashBangBob posted:

Or, we're going to install the operating system on built in 64-128GB SSDs and give you a spinning drive for storage, standard across all laptops.

It would be great if an unannounced feature of Mountain Lion made this simple. They're not going to tell normal people they have to manage storage in the way it would currently be set up.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
They do on the iMacs.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Talking about normal people managing storage, but my girlfriend has an older HP laptop that had a drive that was partitioned to give her like 100 gigs for her OS and apps, then a few hundred more for her documents and whatnot.

She just used the OS drive, she didn't even know she had more space for her documents. I looked at her computer one day and saw she had one full drive and one that had 300 gigs free.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
An hour ago applelaunchtimer.com was still showing new Macbook Pros in five days but it's not responding now :tinfoil:

Apple should release the new 15" MBPs on Monday with Mountain Lion pre-installed and announce that the upgrade for existing hardware won't be available until WWDC "because Ivy Bridge". Watch 15" sales get ridiculous as everyone who cares about that picks one up and pulls a large chunk of the 17" diehards ahead of it's discontinuation.

edit: it's back up. 4 days 23 hours.

Destroyenator fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 3, 2012

Sil
Jan 4, 2007
Got my 11" Air refurb and am loving it :D

Two things I am wondering about: is TRIM enabled by default in it? My google-fu doesn't seem strong enough to clarify that. Secondly it runs pretty warm. Stays around 50C when browsing the web, goes up to the high 60s-70s when I watch video, got up to high 90s when I ran SC2 just to see if I could. Specifically the CPU temperature goes to that level, the enclosure stays fine and only a bit warm. I'm mainly wondering if the video temperature is normal(obviously it'll go crazy if I try to game on it; I kinda wished I'd gone for $100 extra and gotten the 13", but I think in the long term having an extra disincentive from abusing it with games is a Good Thing).

e. it's also bloody warm in Ohio, 30C past couple of days. So that might have something to do with it.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Destroyenator posted:

An hour ago applelaunchtimer.com was still showing new Macbook Pros in five days but it's not responding now :tinfoil:

Apple should release the new 15" MBPs on Monday with Mountain Lion pre-installed and announce that the upgrade for existing hardware won't be available until WWDC "because Ivy Bridge". Watch 15" sales get ridiculous as everyone who cares about that picks one up and pulls a large chunk of the 17" diehards ahead of it's discontinuation.

edit: it's back up. 4 days 23 hours.

if ML was finished it would hit GM on the dev site and anyone who REALLY cared about it and didn't have a dev account would pony up the $100 instead of buying a brand new machine for an OS.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Sil posted:

Got my 11" Air refurb and am loving it :D

Two things I am wondering about : is TRIM enabled by default in it? My google-fu doesn't seem strong enough to clarify that. Secondly it runs pretty warm. Stays around 50C when browsing the web, goes up to the high 60s-70s when I watch video, got up to high 90s when I ran SC2 just to see if I could. Specifically the CPU temperature goes to that level, the enclosure stays fine and only a bit warm. I'm mainly wondering if the video temperature is normal(obviously it'll go crazy if I try to game on it; I kinda wished I'd gone for $100 extra and gotten the 13", but I think in the long term having an extra disincentive from abusing it with games is a Good Thing).

e. it's also bloody warm in Ohio, 30C past couple of days. So that might have something to do with it.

Yes -- Trim is enabled by default.

Don't worry about the temperature. First there are no fans inside the Air (well there may be one or two) but I think the aluminum case acts as the heat sink. If the core temperature gets too hot, the machine will turn itself off.

Sil
Jan 4, 2007
That's what I figured and everything except the CPU temp monitor seems ok. There's a tiny fan pushing air through the keyboard I think, but it's generally not running. I guess I was just curious what a normal temp for it to run at was. If 60s-70s is no big deal that's fine. It's certainly not heating in any way that makes it uncomfortable to use.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Hey thread, I'm trying to figure out the value of my macbook pro because it's probably time for me to upgrade, but I'm not sure how much I could sell my current for. Sorry if I'm posting in a terribly terribly wrong place! I'm not trying to sell it at the moment, just get an idea of how much it's actually worth.

I checked eBay and the prices seemed to float around 800-1000, but lots of them were refurbished and it just didn't seem to make sense to me. I bought it in the summer of 2009, 15" 4 gigs, still runs perfectly with essentially no damage, just a little dirty and a few tiny tiny dents in the unibody around the keyboard (not even sure how they got there). It's pretty clean and works great. I have zero real understanding of this kind of thing so if I do end up wanting to sell it I don't want to end up really lowballing the price.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FlashBangBob posted:

Don't worry about the temperature. First there are no fans inside the Air (well there may be one or two)

Just one. I hear the one in my 13" come on occasionally (watching a long video) but it never feels 'warm'

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

redjenova posted:

Hey thread, I'm trying to figure out the value of my macbook pro because it's probably time for me to upgrade, but I'm not sure how much I could sell my current for. Sorry if I'm posting in a terribly terribly wrong place! I'm not trying to sell it at the moment, just get an idea of how much it's actually worth.

I checked eBay and the prices seemed to float around 800-1000, but lots of them were refurbished and it just didn't seem to make sense to me. I bought it in the summer of 2009, 15" 4 gigs, still runs perfectly with essentially no damage, just a little dirty and a few tiny tiny dents in the unibody around the keyboard (not even sure how they got there). It's pretty clean and works great. I have zero real understanding of this kind of thing so if I do end up wanting to sell it I don't want to end up really lowballing the price.

I'd start at $700 for a local buy (no paypal, shipping, etc)

$1359 gets you this at the Apple refurb store:

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.0GHz quad-core Intel i7
Originally released February 2011

And you can get a 13" Air for $900 used now, which has the same resolution as 15" Pro and the CPU will trounce it, plus the smaller size and battery life.

I've seen the dual-core i7 15's for $1000 used as well.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Here's a theory - by ditching the optical drive they add enough battery life to handle a retina display in the Pro laptops without having to design a new, or bigger case.
I hope not, because I plan on buying one, and removing the optical drive to put in a SSD for the OS.

FlashBangBob posted:

Basically this. An Air wouldn't fit my iTunes library very easily (or not at all for the rate it's growing), but I want my next computer to have a SSD for the OS/apps, and storage for the music files and maybe the few movies I have in iTunes.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

~Coxy posted:

They do on the iMacs.

I've always been curious - how do the double-drive iMacs present the disks to the user?

The new Macbooks Pro need the hi-res display as default, no optical, 128GB of onboard flash like the Air, and a platter drive. Make it so, Steve.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 3, 2012

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

redjenova posted:

Hey thread, I'm trying to figure out the value of my macbook pro

Go to "About This Mac", match it up with everymac.com, and search for the model number in recent transactions of your choice (eBay / Amazon marketplace / whatever). I always keep original packaging because I feel it adds value and pretties-up photos. A year is not a good enough indicator; nothing in your post could specifically nail down your particular machine. Good luck. And for your own sake at least zero-out your drive in Disk Utility and restore before sale.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The new Macbooks Pro need the hi-res display as default, no optical, 128GB of onboard flash like the Air, and a platter drive. Make it so, Tim.

Fixed as your original choice is dead..

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Fixed as your original choice is dead..

No, that magnitude of request could only be accomplished by the incredible power of Ghost Steve.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I've always been curious - how do the double-drive iMacs present the disks to the user?
I have an iMac with an HD and SSD, and they show up as completely separate disks. The OS and user directories are on the SSD, and the HD has nothing on it, by default.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The new Macbooks Pro need the hi-res display as default, no optical, 128GB of onboard flash like the Air, and a platter drive. Make it so, Steve.
If they're going to do retina screens in the next revision, it makes sense to wait for ML. Presumably the software side isn't done, yet.

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

Small White Dragon posted:

I have an iMac with an HD and SSD, and they show up as completely separate disks. The OS and user directories are on the SSD, and the HD has nothing on it, by default.

Are they both named Macintosh HD?

CaptainMidnight
May 1, 2012

redjenova posted:

Look at this site and it should give you an idea on the value of the Mac you have.
https://www.mac2sell.net

CaptainMidnight fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 3, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

mac2sell is awful at finding the value of Macs. Look at eBay and Craigslist and SA-Mart if you want to find the real value of your Mac.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

If they're going to do retina screens in the next revision, it makes sense to wait for ML. Presumably the software side isn't done, yet.

Presumably we know just about jack poo poo whether something is done or not. But apart from that question, what major "software side" is there to a retina display? It's just a display with a higher resolution, and there needs to be optional support for making some elements larger so they're reasonably visible under that resolution. This could also be added to Lion and doesn't justify waiting an indefinite amount of time for a new OS version. (It would be a different story if there already was a release candidate of ML.)

The Sandy Bridge MBPs also needed OS X additions in order to support the CPUs and Thunderbolt, so Apple just rolled a special version of Snow Leopard for their release before re-joining the branches with the next SL update. I don't see how that would be impossible for Ivy Bridge and retina displays.

Back then, the point of "it makes sense for them to wait for Lion" would have had the same technological validity.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 3, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There's a G4 Mac Mini in SA-Mart for a hundred bucks if anyone's feeling nostalgic.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3482817

I guess you could use it as a NAS or something?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Hiyoshi posted:

Are they both named Macintosh HD?
No, one was named "Macintosh HD 2" or something like that.

flavor posted:

Presumably we know just about jack poo poo whether something is done or not. But apart from that question, what major "software side" is there to a retina display? It's just a display with a higher resolution, and there needs to be optional support for making some elements larger so they're reasonably visible under that resolution. This could also be added to Lion and doesn't justify waiting an indefinite amount of time for a new OS version. (It would be a different story if there already was a release candidate of ML.)
Uh, lots of graphical assets, for starters? There's a lot of under-the-hood improvements for this in ML, too.

Yes, Apple COULD roll a special build of Lion, or even some weird Lion/ML hybrid. Or they could just release ML before or when machines with the new displays are ready.

There are a lot of things Apple *COULD* do, but with ML just around the corner, I'd be shocked if we see the displays before the new OS.

flavor posted:

The Sandy Bridge MBPs also needed OS X additions in order to support the CPUs and Thunderbolt, so Apple just rolled a special version of Snow Leopard for their release before re-joining the branches with the next SL update. I don't see how that would be impossible for Ivy Bridge and retina displays.
I was just talking about retina displays, not Ivy Bridge.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

There are a lot of things Apple *COULD* do, but with ML just around the corner, I'd be shocked if we see the displays before the new OS.
For all we know, ML could come out in September, and I wouldn't call that "just around the corner".

I'm just wondering on what kind of recent track record you're basing being shocked about that when they neither held anything for Snow Leopard nor for Lion.

The theory that it would make a lot of sense for them to hold the MBPs until whenever ML comes out seems to be the baseless fad here before the next one shows up. I'm not pretending to know better, it's just interesting how people here are so sure when there's no precedent.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

There's a G4 Mac Mini in SA-Mart for a hundred bucks if anyone's feeling nostalgic.
I just set up an OWC enclosure whose config utility is PPC-only. :aaaaa: RAID 0 for lyfe unless I pull the trigger on that SA sale, I guess.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

What are people considering "retina display" for a Mac, anyways? The hi-res 15" screen is nearly what you'd consider a retina display as-is...I just figured they'd make the hi-res screen the default one.

Do people really expect to see a pixel doubled 3360x2100 screen on the next 15" Macbook Pro?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

What are people considering "retina display" for a Mac, anyways? The hi-res 15" screen is nearly what you'd consider a retina display as-is...I just figured they'd make the hi-res screen the default one.

Do people really expect to see a pixel doubled 3360x2100 screen on the next 15" Macbook Pro?
I think people were expecting 2880x1800, which is retina 1440x900.

crunk and white
Apr 21, 2008

by Ralp

Mercurius posted:

I think people were expecting 2880x1800, which is retina 1440x900.

These words, in this order, don't make sense.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

crunk and white posted:

These words, in this order, don't make sense.

You're right about that, but the reason people are thinking so comes from iOS retina displays, which have been the only ones called that so far. iOS apps all use fixed resolutions. Therefore the way to go when it became time to switch to retina displays was to quadruple the resolution (i.e. double it in both dimensions). The alternatives would have been to either have existing apps look blurry or stretched due to having an uneven zoom factor (like using an odd non-native resolution on an LCD) or to have all developers redo all their applications (not likely to happen).

This whole consideration does not apply to OS X or any other desktop OS with freely resizable windows. Therefore retina on a Mac wouldn't mean four times the previous resolution, it would just mean whatever is appropriate for retina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I probably shouldn't have used the term retina but I didn't think most people would recognise Apple's term for it, which is HiDPI. Lion's got experimental support for HiDPI but Mountain Lion is supposedly going to add proper support for HiDPI modes. 2880x1800 is the HiDPI mode of the current 1440x900 display in the 15" MBP (and 13" Air) because it's exactly double the resolution.

If you're interested in what resolutions Intel considers 'retina' to be for the various sizes of laptops and desktops, Liliputing had an article on it a couple weeks ago. Intel seems to think that HiDPI laptop screens should be around 250 dpi and that a 15" laptop should have a 1920x1080 HiDPI (so 3840x2160) screen in them (although Apple uses 16:10 screens, rather than 16:9 like Intel is suggesting). Apple currently only offers 1920x1200 on the 17" MBP as a BTO option, so I don't think you're going to see HiDPI resolutions anywhere near that in 15" MBPs any time soon.