Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Here's the full list;
  • Automagical downloading of texture packs when joining servers - Screenshot
  • Texture pack can be hosted anywhere
  • Only default-sized texture packs are supported out of the box
  • Toggleable per-server
  • server.properties file: texture-pack=http://test.org/tex.zip
  • Released Operation Spitting Supernova, probably merged MP and SP
  • Added hardcore mode to Multiplayer - Technically speaking, it bans the player who died and deletes the world.
  • Various Multiplayer improvements, sped up chunk loading
  • More fixes to silk touch and block picking
  • Wooden tools work in furnaces
  • Villagers spawned from spawning eggs will get a random profession
  • Updated language files
  • Renamed different types' of sandstone and stone bricks tooltips to show their kind
  • Fixed some bugs
  • Fixed wooden slabs and wooden planks being named inconsistently
  • Fixed logs' and planks' tooltips not showing their kind of wood
  • Fixed wooden top slabs all looking the same
  • Fixed music and sound sliders not showing their percentages
  • Fixed many sounds not playing in Multiplayer
  • Maybe Fixed the server showing "disconnect.Spam" instead of a proper disconnect message
Now if we had a way of confirming the player was running a specific texture pack it would eliminate xray texture users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

fondue posted:

Here's the full list;
  • Automagical downloading of texture packs when joining servers - Screenshot
  • Texture pack can be hosted anywhere
  • Only default-sized texture packs are supported out of the box
  • Toggleable per-server
  • server.properties file: texture-pack=http://test.org/tex.zip
  • Released Operation Spitting Supernova, probably merged MP and SP
  • Added hardcore mode to Multiplayer - Technically speaking, it bans the player who died and deletes the world.
  • Various Multiplayer improvements, sped up chunk loading
  • More fixes to silk touch and block picking
  • Wooden tools work in furnaces
  • Villagers spawned from spawning eggs will get a random profession
  • Updated language files
  • Renamed different types' of sandstone and stone bricks tooltips to show their kind
  • Fixed some bugs
  • Fixed wooden slabs and wooden planks being named inconsistently
  • Fixed logs' and planks' tooltips not showing their kind of wood
  • Fixed wooden top slabs all looking the same
  • Fixed music and sound sliders not showing their percentages
  • Fixed many sounds not playing in Multiplayer
  • Maybe Fixed the server showing "disconnect.Spam" instead of a proper disconnect message
Now if we had a way of confirming the player was running a specific texture pack it would eliminate xray texture users.

Holy poo poo :toot: It's like... it's like almost a real game now! Jeb for (Mojang) President.

Though, I'm confused... 'Wooden tools work in furnaces' - what does this even mean?

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Holy poo poo :toot: It's like... it's like almost a real game now! Jeb for (Mojang) President.

Though, I'm confused... 'Wooden tools work in furnaces' - what does this even mean?

Guessing it means you can use wooden tools as fuel just like sticks or saplings.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You can burn wooden tools for fuel.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oh... weird, no idea why I just didn't assume that. I actually thought that it meant there was some sort of bug that didn't allow you to open up and use the furnace if you were holding a wooden tool. Neat!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

fondue posted:

Here's the full list;[list][*]Automagical downloading of texture packs when joining servers - Screenshot
[*]Texture pack can be hosted anywhere
[*]Only default-sized texture packs are supported out of the box
[*]Toggleable per-server
[*]server.properties file: texture-pack=http://test.org/tex.zip

Okay, this is a good update. I believe they also finally fixed hi-res textures before this update, so if that's true I will be running my server off of Sphax at some point soon (but allow people to override it). I just hope it doesn't pester people on each join.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
I'm excited! I got everything working last night with Steve's Minecarts and I'm having a blast. Thank you to everyone in the last couple of pages for all the tips and links.

Now..to integrate Buildcraft into this so I can start my overly elaborate Construction/Mining/Transporation grid.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

IUG posted:

Okay, this is a good update. I believe they also finally fixed hi-res textures before this update, so if that's true I will be running my server off of Sphax at some point soon (but allow people to override it). I just hope it doesn't pester people on each join.

Did they really? What about this, then?

quote:

[*]Only default-sized texture packs are supported out of the box

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I know this is more in the realm of the mod thread, but is there a way to have blocks automatically replace themselves sometime late after being mined? Also would it be possible to have them replaced with something else too? I want to have most of the smp server I'm building as dirt around the main city, and once someone mines surface materials it's replaced with mycelium, which then spreads across the countryside.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Minecraft Snapshot posted:

Added hardcore mode to Multiplayer - Technically speaking, it bans the player who died and deletes the world.

What does this mean? How would this work? This sounds insane.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Solipsism Mode

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

lordfrikk posted:

Did they really? What about this, then?

Oh, well then, I guess I don't read as well as I should. But at least they have a 16x16 variant too. Which I guess also means that I hope they only pester you once, because I'll be using something higher than 16x16 instead of what I'll run for the default for my server.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The outright refusal to support higher res textures is starting to become slightly infuriating.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Guude is so hosed, but whatever way he dies, it's shaping up to be spectacular.

I'm really, really hoping he dies from having a gravel block land on his head.
I don't know why.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

snapshot posted:

Added hardcore mode to Multiplayer - Technically speaking, it bans the player who died and deletes the world.

I think I'm reading this wrong. It sounds like it deletes the world after a player dies, but I'm going to assume that it means that it deletes it after ALL of the players die. Since that would actually be sane.

VVV Nope, just on the server.

Bat Ham fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 4, 2012

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Bat Ham posted:

I think I'm reading this wrong. It sounds like it deletes the world after a player dies, but I'm going to assume that it means that it deletes it after ALL of the players die. Since that would actually be sane.

Is the world stored locally on the client's PC?

Aussie Dingbat
Apr 21, 2012

Dingbat from Down Under

El Generico posted:

Is the world stored locally on the client's PC?

I don't think so, as some of the larger servers end up with multi-gigabyte worlds.

Edit: Although, if it was a "single-player" turned multiplayer server, that could work, maybe. I'm not too sure now, I suppose I'll have to wait and see how it works.

Aussie Dingbat fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 4, 2012

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Jesus tapdancing Christ, how in the name of Cthulhu do I get massive lag in SINGLEPLAYER? You know that awful, awful lag you get where you place blocks and they don't actually APPEAR until 30 seconds later? Yeah. gently caress this snapshot.

Is this happening for anyone else?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

D34THROW posted:

Jesus tapdancing Christ, how in the name of Cthulhu do I get massive lag in SINGLEPLAYER? You know that awful, awful lag you get where you place blocks and they don't actually APPEAR until 30 seconds later? Yeah. gently caress this snapshot.

My concern about them porting the multiplayer code to single player is that the netcode for this game is absolutely awful. Like, it'd probably hurt single player pretty bad unless they really rework the code.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

PalmTreeFun posted:

My concern about them porting the multiplayer code to single player is that the netcode for this game is absolutely awful. Like, it'd probably hurt single player pretty bad unless they really rework the code.

Well now that Jeb is in charge of things and they're making a push to make the client/server all in one package, it'll probably be a priority to get that poo poo to work.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I'd go make a post on the forums about it, but I'm afraid I'd catch stupidity and a massive sense of entitlement. At least I have Twitter and Reddit.

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

D34THROW posted:

I've had that. I've also had an interesting minecart moment happen. I rode through an area, hopped out, went back, and the cart was sitting where I had been a few seconds before. I took out a pig, came back and it was still there 3 or 4 minutes later. Couldn't interact with it or anything, it was just sitting there.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Vargs posted:

Yeah, gently caress staple RPG mobs, we need wolves and bears!

Let's use the exact same "bear attack" sound clips that every RPG in the world does too.

Okay okay fair enough. My point was that I don't want to see 4 different skeleton subtypes. I found Mo' Creatures' pack really fun, especially the high pitched versions of baby animals. :3:

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

D34THROW posted:

I'd go make a post on the forums about it, but I'm afraid I'd catch stupidity and a massive sense of entitlement. At least I have Twitter and Reddit.

I really don't think I'm entitled to a game having it's problems fixed, but I'd love to see it happen and I'm sure others would too.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Avocados posted:

Okay okay fair enough. My point was that I don't want to see 4 different skeleton subtypes. I found Mo' Creatures' pack really fun, especially the high pitched versions of baby animals. :3:
Personally I think Mo Creatures is greatly overrated and only the flying horses are worth anything. Between the half a dozen identically-functioning wild animals, the groaning werewolves, and the unbalanced ogres, it's hard to find much to recommend.
I guess the wraiths are kind of neat though, but they could sure use their own drops.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Mo' Creatures' is really great, I just stopped using it when we got a bunch of updates really quickly and I had to keep updating it.

Does it still require like 4 different mods to be installed before you can use it? That poo poo was stupid, and what's even dumber is that's probably the simplest way they could do it because of how modding works.

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

Ive been working on remaking Tenochitlan on my spare time for the fun of it, So far I am missing a pedestal to rip out the hearts of pigmen, and then line their skulls up a wall.

Being able to mount skulls on top of fence posts or whatever would be a great design point for the nether that you can bring out into the real world.

*edit* For reference on how I am building the main complex, the largest image in GIS

The Vinja Ninja fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 4, 2012

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

The Vinja Ninja posted:

Ive been working on remaking Tenochitlan on my spare time for the fun of it, So far I am missing a pedestal to rip out the hearts of pigmen, and then line their skulls up a wall.

Being able to mount skulls on top of fence posts or whatever would be a great design point for the nether that you can bring out into the real world.

*edit* For reference on how I am building the main complex, the largest image in GIS

This is badass!

Okay redstone wizards, I need some assistance here. I'm faffing about with redstone and minecart systems and whatnot for pretty much the first time. I'm trying to make a compact minecart terminal similar to this one . I like the idea of a station that's pretty much fully automated. Problem is that apparently at some point they changed how redstone affects trapdoors and now none of this guy's dispenser designs work. I don't quite have the systems grasp needed to puzzle this stuff out for myself yet, plus I am working in a constrained space (inside a tower) so I want to keep it nice and compact. I haven't been able to find anything helpful that was actually made since release and will actually work. Any suggestions?

Here's the thing built; as you can see it's kind of poo poo since there are two open blocks where the carts fall, and the one that gets stuck up top sometimes won't dislodge properly. :mad: Halp.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

http://youtu.be/1LqZ4_g18xk
Official Launch Trailer for Minecraft for Xbox 360.

I don't know why but it looks more fun. Probably the appeal of couch gaming with everyone.

Edit: Also,
Tutorial Overview
Multiplayer Overview

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

FPzero posted:

I don't know why but it looks more fun. Probably the appeal of couch gaming with everyone.

Tutorial Overview
Multiplayer Overview

I can't wait for this, jeeezus. Watching the MP overview now.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

FPzero posted:

Tutorial Overview
Multiplayer Overview
I'm not clear; can you play on regular servers with SMP on the Xbox or just Xbox games?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

fondue posted:

I'm not clear; can you play on regular servers with SMP on the Xbox or just Xbox games?

There usually isn't cross-compatibility with Xbox stuff so I would guess no.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

That's planned for down the road, but right now, no.

Also :toot: you start with a map!

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme

The Vinja Ninja posted:

This is really cool, and has a great sense of scale. Tenochtitlan's temple to Quetzalcoatl was my first SMP project, though the server and my screenshots of it are long gone.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Planned, but honestly, with the rate of updates and the way development seems to have gone, I really can't see it happening.

Well, maybe you'll be able to connect old copies of minecraft to PC servers running a six-month-old version that's in sync with the XBox version.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 4, 2012

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

A map is a brilliant idea for Xbox as there is no F3 to show spawn coordinates. Shoving a map in from the start is a very elegant (and I'd say better) way of handling things. This port looks like it has been really well handled.

It's ridiculous, I have all these other games to play, but right now Xbox Minecraft is really making me drool. Being able to lie in bed with a wireless controller playing lag-free Minecraft. Oh this is going to be heaven.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

BlueBayou posted:

Man it is rough being a Baj fan sometimes....

I hope they do teams again next and he gets to kill some people.

Hey now, starving himself and the fall damage wasn't that bad, and that creeper did come out of nowhere...
I do sort of wonder what his plan is now, I doubt anyone is going to find him where he is.

It is sort of amazing how people keep missing each other, Guude and Beef missed each other in that one village by maybe a minute, and that one guy walked by the nearly dead Guude. Guude wondering if people went out at night while Pause was wandering through a nearby jungle was kinda funny too.

D34THROW posted:

The new snapshot is a mess, laggy as all hell and when I went into the nether and every block I touched got deleted and I couldn't leave. If they get it cleaned up and running, it might be nice, but for now I don't even know why they bothered.
The chat commands in the previous two snapshots have been great, and they look like they're getting better.
Honestly this is what I'm happiest about : Cocoa Beans are now obtainable in jungle tree leaves.

Though honestly, I do wish they had something better, like they'd be something harvestable that actually grew on the trees (same with apples)
Basically I just want this game to be Harvest Moon, but sometimes I go into caves and fight things. I really do hope for some better farming options though.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house

wyoming posted:

The new snapshot is a mess, laggy as all hell and when I went into the nether and every block I touched got deleted and I couldn't leave. If they get it cleaned up and running, it might be nice, but for now I don't even know why they bothered.

I don't think you get the point of development snapshots.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

R.L. Stine posted:

I don't think you get the point of development snapshots.

All the previous ones have been playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

wyoming posted:

All the previous ones have been playable.

But none of the previous ones have completely reworked the game with an experimental version of how things are going to work now.