Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

I just finished finals :)

Any updates on the server?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Any grfs that people recommend? AI and trainsets/rules mods are mostly what I'm interested in.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
We could stay on 1.1 with all the luxuries we've come to know in Chilli's patchpack, or we can go to vanilla 1.2.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

I say 1.2. The patch pack will be updated. I am playing on a 2560x1600 30 incher, and the extra zoom levels are handy.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I also say 1.2, for the purely selfish reason that I'm on OSX and the patch pack isn't mac happy (and I want to play trains with goons)

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I also say 1.2, for the purely selfish reason that I'm on OSX and the patch pack isn't mac happy (and I want to play trains with goons)

There is actually a mac build for the patch now but whatever. I am also interested in 1.2.

I'll set up a server now. Check ord.nekonex.com / lljk in a bit.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

less than three posted:

There is actually a mac build for the patch now but whatever. I am also interested in 1.2.

I'll set up a server now. Check ord.nekonex.com / lljk in a bit.

Default port?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah. Server is now up.

If you don't have the TTGC grf, you can get it here.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
So I wandered in to this thread by accident and holy crap, Transport Tycoon! I was the biggest Chris Sawyer fan back in the day.

I downloaded the game and configs from the OP and got it running, even managed to remember enough to build some trains and deliver some goods, but I have a couple of stupid questions that I hope someone will be kind enough to answer:

Are any of the AIs worth playing against? Can anyone recommend which ones are good? I saw the menu but I was paralysed by choice.

What is the deal with GRFs? I found a menu for choosing which ones to include or not, but I wasn't really sure what I was doing so I added all the ones that were there except for those marked 'beta' or 'extra challenge' or similar.

Finally: This might sound silly, but is there a way to have fewer types of trains in the game? From the original I was used to only having a few trains to choose from at any one time, my first game of openTTD I started in 1950 and already had 30 or so locomotives available, which was a little overwhelming.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jamsque posted:

What is the deal with GRFs? I found a menu for choosing which ones to include or not, but I wasn't really sure what I was doing so I added all the ones that were there except for those marked 'beta' or 'extra challenge' or similar.

Finally: This might sound silly, but is there a way to have fewer types of trains in the game? From the original I was used to only having a few trains to choose from at any one time, my first game of openTTD I started in 1950 and already had 30 or so locomotives available, which was a little overwhelming.

These two things are related: GRFs are essentially mod packs. By choosing a bunch aside from the defaults you added a fuckton of new stuff to the base game! :eng101:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Well that's new, you can't see other people's signs in multiplayer now unless you go to the wrench icon thing and choose "Competitors signs and names displayed"

Also everyone get on the server you lazy ungrateful jackasses, we're playing this game again.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Trying to get in on this through the server browser, but the server isn't responding. Is it down or have I goofed it somehow?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

StabMasterArson posted:

Trying to get in on this through the server browser, but the server isn't responding. Is it down or have I goofed it somehow?

"ord.nekonex.com" works for me and lessthanthree since we're on there right now.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Okay I am dumb and do not understand how to connect to this server (also a newbie)

EDIT: in the sense that it appears I am missing files, and not sure where to put the files if i get them

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Zombie #246 posted:

Okay I am dumb and do not understand how to connect to this server (also a newbie)

EDIT: in the sense that it appears I am missing files, and not sure where to put the files if i get them
Just press "find missing content online" on the right, it'll automatically download and install the missing files for you. The stuff that's unknown you can get here:

less than three posted:

Yeah. Server is now up.

If you don't have the TTGC grf, you can get it here.
Extract it to your "newgrf" folder.

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 1, 2012

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I've downloaded the r22553M stuff and all the GRFs from the server but I'm still getting a version mismatch, there was info in the OP but it seems to have gone now. Is there a newer file?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

StabMasterArson posted:

I've downloaded the r22553M stuff and all the GRFs from the server but I'm still getting a version mismatch, there was info in the OP but it seems to have gone now. Is there a newer file?

We're using 1.2 now. Get it on openttd.org.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Thanks!

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

Wedesdo Intl Transport Ltd is back in business! Thanks three.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Jamsque posted:

Are any of the AIs worth playing against? Can anyone recommend which ones are good? I saw the menu but I was paralysed by choice.

I've used a few and NoCAB seems to be one of the best, if not technically the best. However, it massively powergames and likes to build lots of airports at the start and will eventually try to steal your coal :argh:

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

Planes are still really cheap... Is there a "realistic flight cost" grf?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Wedesdo posted:

Planes are still really cheap... Is there a "realistic flight cost" grf?

We're using costs mod, but airplanes are set to default at the moment. Normally I make them expensive.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

I know we've not had the current game "mode" going for long, and I'm very biased as I find it hard to enjoy openttd when I'm not mainly doing passenger lines with cargodist or whatever, but how out when a good patchpack comes out for 1.2 we set the daylength to be massive, get infrastructure sharing going, get a fairly dense map, and just try and make the biggest most all-encompassing network we can manage.

It could be a big project lasting a few days to about a month I guess, and provided it didn't lag to poo poo I think it'd look totally awesome by the end.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Jonnty posted:

I know we've not had the current game "mode" going for long, and I'm very biased as I find it hard to enjoy openttd when I'm not mainly doing passenger lines with cargodist or whatever, but how out when a good patchpack comes out for 1.2 we set the daylength to be massive, get infrastructure sharing going, get a fairly dense map, and just try and make the biggest most all-encompassing network we can manage.

It could be a big project lasting a few days to about a month I guess, and provided it didn't lag to poo poo I think it'd look totally awesome by the end.

That project would honestly probably only take a day or so unless you go with one of the huge extra sized maps that would lag us all to hell, still Chilli's patchpack is almost at a release based off a version near 1.2 and poo poo cargodist makes passenger a lot more fun.

edit: the version he's working off of is r23067 which is actually corresponding to roughly 1.2.0-Beta1, but before gamescripts were implemented and maybe some other stuff from 1.2, luckily no one has made a gamescript worth using and there weren't that many other features of 1.2 that we can really use or are that cool.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 4, 2012

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

piratepilates posted:

That project would honestly probably only take a day or so unless you go with one of the huge extra sized maps that would lag us all to hell, still Chilli's patchpack is almost at a release based off a version near 1.2 and poo poo cargodist makes passenger a lot more fun.

Yeah, after you've played with carodist passengers on normal mode just seems pointless. I'm not sure it would only take a day though - there's more to building a good(ish) network than just building the massive straight mainlines that freight needs. Sure, you might get the arteries done quickly, but connecting up each and every town and providing light rail networks in them would take a bit longer. Maybe you're right though. Actually, come to think of it, didn't we do something like this before where everyone claimed a town? I seem to remember that was pretty sparse though, so there weren't too many places to claim.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

basically i just want to watch tiny little branch lines form off massive mainlines and then follow tiny little steam trains on them. is that too much to ask. really.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

piratepilates posted:

edit: the version he's working off of is r23067 which is actually corresponding to roughly 1.2.0-Beta1, but before gamescripts were implemented and maybe some other stuff from 1.2, luckily no one has made a gamescript worth using and there weren't that many other features of 1.2 that we can really use or are that cool.

I beg to differ. I've been playing with the "Neighbors are important" script in singleplayer, and the goal of supplying the towns to grow them has been highly enjoyable.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I would be up for going back to the newest version of Chilli's Patchpack.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Iunnrais posted:

I beg to differ. I've been playing with the "Neighbors are important" script in singleplayer, and the goal of supplying the towns to grow them has been highly enjoyable.

Oh that sounds pretty cool, I just check out the tt-forums subforum for scripts and haven't really found anything interesting, maybe if someone did something like that citybuilder server it would be cool also.

Jonnty posted:

basically i just want to watch tiny little branch lines form off massive mainlines and then follow tiny little steam trains on them. is that too much to ask. really.

You could always try OpenTTDCoop, I used to play with them and they were cool dude who did pretty much that exact thing on a huge level (500-1000+ trains at the end of the map) but yeah infrastructure sharing was always fun last time.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
We're now using patch pack version hfe846ddd.

Get it here: http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/chillpp/releases/hfe846ddd/

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

less than three posted:

We're now using patch pack version hfe846ddd.

Get it here: http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/chillpp/releases/hfe846ddd/

You monster

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

We're back to 1.1? :(

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Wedesdo posted:

We're back to 1.1? :(

The few minor improvements in 1.2 wasn't worth losing everything else we had. It's a newer version of the patch pack from before.

Might I ask what feature from 1.2 do you miss?

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
I am glad signals on bridges/tunnels are back. I also liked watching companies.

Edit: Automated timetables :woop:

Aero737 fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 6, 2012

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Hm.

I got the pack and everything for it, but whenever I got to the multiplayer screen the game crashes after a few seconds.

Anyone knows whats up? I can play single player just fine it seems.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"
This game is really cool! (I never played the original Transport Tycoon). I have a couple questions, though:

1. At a depot, how can I get a train engine to pick up different carts? I made a loop from an oil rig to refinery to a city, so I want to go to a depot and offload my oil cars and pick up goods cars before going back around to the refinery. I can't find the command.

2. I notice screenshots using higher-resolution graphics, which looks wonderful as the old DOS graphics, while true to form, kind of makes my eyes bleed. However, the Wiki explanation for 32bpp is really hard to understand, which I guess I should have expected from railroad fans/Linux nerds. There's a lot of packages and tarballs and conflicting information on how to install this stuff. Could someone give me a simpler explanation?

Thanks! I'll have to log on and play with you all once I learn how to play more.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

deptstoremook posted:

1. At a depot, how can I get a train engine to pick up different carts? I made a loop from an oil rig to refinery to a city, so I want to go to a depot and offload my oil cars and pick up goods cars before going back around to the refinery. I can't find the command.
You can't order trains to change carts. Just make two trains, one to take the oil from the rig to the refinery, and another to take the goods from the refinery to the city (you can set them to wait for cargo at the station so they're "timed"). It's much simpler and efficient to manage.

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 7, 2012

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Besides, you would end up with a pile of empty oil tanks in the refinery's depot and a pile of goods carts in your oil well's depot. You'd have to run a train every so often to take a stack of empty carts to their desired depots in order to keep the cycle going, which is too micromanagey to bother with considering only the small increase in profit.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

deptstoremook posted:

Thanks! I'll have to log on and play with you all once I learn how to play more.

The best way to learn is to get on the server and play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Can someone post an explanation of Industrial Stations? It gives me like five new categories. I know some of them are animated, but I don't know which. Do all the tiles work as a station? Are some only for show?

Also, for those who are interested, here's a link to the "Town Growth Challenge" wiki page. Should help you figure out what you're doing.

EDIT: Also, Aero, your network is lovely but is currently jammed to all hell at "Olkela Heights"

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 8, 2012

• Locked thread