Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
193-235-180, more importantly , took all 9 points . 1st to 6th were 5 points apart ,so we're ready for position round next week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Found out two days ago my home center that I've bowled at for 22 years lost their lease and is closing next month.

Showed up at league tonight and shot 300 in game one. It's my 5th 300 (4th sanctioned) but I hadn't shot 300 in about 3 1/2 years.

The funny part? Shot 139 with 5 splits in game 2 and my 225 in game 3 only got me to 664. Still haven't shot a 700 series yet this year!

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
Good job on the 300. That'll make up for whatever else happened out there. Sorry about your center man, that blows.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

PendingForaBending posted:

Good job on the 300. That'll make up for whatever else happened out there. Sorry about your center man, that blows.

Yeah, it's tough. I worked there for 8 years in addition to bowling there since I was 7 years old. Just a bad situation.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
drat ,that sucks . Went through that as a kid (1983)
454 last night .. I was tired, and just plain sucked

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
256-227-279, 762 overall. I was on fire last night. In the 279 I left a solid 8 pin in the 4th frame, but I had a Brooklyn strike a little later on so I can't feel too bad about it. Our team locked up 1st place with 2 weeks left so the pressure is completely off at this point.

My bowling has improved so much just by doing a couple of things differently. I used to stand all the way at the back of the approach with a 5 step approach. I took about a 3/4 step forward to shorten everything up (still 5 steps) and my balance is much better at the line which has greatly improved my consistency. I moved up to a 16 pound ball so my carry percentage seems better. And I'm shooting different marks on my right side (aiming far down the lane) and left side (arrows) spares.

In the first half before Christmas I averaged 204. This half I've been around 220-225, with 5 700 series. So needless to say, I've been on the best stretch of bowling in my life these past few months so hopefully I can actually keep this up.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Question: What do you have to average with Handicap to win a no-tap tournament at my house?
Answer: 308.

918 was leading after two squads so I said gently caress it it's only $25, and I only have to average 270 scratch. :rolleyes:

Went 278-275-255 for 808. With 115 pins handicap that's 923 and gently caress you, pay me.

I have to wait a month for the check but it should be around $250. Added to the $400 I made for finished top 5 in everything in the city tournament and it's a pretty good end of the year so far.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Critical posted:

Question: What do you have to average with Handicap to win a no-tap tournament at my house?
Answer: 308.

918 was leading after two squads so I said gently caress it it's only $25, and I only have to average 270 scratch. :rolleyes:

Went 278-275-255 for 808. With 115 pins handicap that's 923 and gently caress you, pay me.

I have to wait a month for the check but it should be around $250. Added to the $400 I made for finished top 5 in everything in the city tournament and it's a pretty good end of the year so far.

no-tap as in 9-pin tap? I rolled a 900 scratch one time and still only took second place. I never understood the point of handicapping 9-pin tap tournaments, you are already being given a break by making it easier where you don't have to knock all the pins down.

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
225-168-267. 660 overall, so not bad, but made a poor adjustment in the 2nd game. I was left in a position too where I didn't throw a good ball a couple times after the adjustment so I stuck it out after that a little more than I should to make sure it was the line and not just me.

So I'm going to try to bowl a sport shot league this summer. I've never done that before so I'm not sure what to expect. I know its going to be much harder, but are there any goons out there who have the experience making the switch?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

225-168-267. 660 overall, so not bad, but made a poor adjustment in the 2nd game. I was left in a position too where I didn't throw a good ball a couple times after the adjustment so I stuck it out after that a little more than I should to make sure it was the line and not just me.

So I'm going to try to bowl a sport shot league this summer. I've never done that before so I'm not sure what to expect. I know its going to be much harder, but are there any goons out there who have the experience making the switch?

My advice: If you want to bowl well, throw straight at all of your spare shots. If you are a bowler who leaves a 7-pin, and then throws a big hook to pick it up, don't do that, because it won't work. Practice on throwing straight at all of your spares. More advice, you have to be extremely accurate and consistent on your strike balls. If you miss by just a bit, your ball probably won't do what you think it's going to do. Other than that, just have fun and realize you are bowling on what the pros are able to average ~220 on. It should make you a better bowler and you will definitely learn from it.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Expect your spares to be a lot tougher to convert and don't expect to be able to line up the same all night. If you don't already throw a plastic ball at most of your spares a sport league is a good place to start. Is it going to be a PBA Experience league or just some random shot? If it's a PBA Experience league you can usually find a breakdown of how the pros attack the patterns.

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
I do throw straight at all of my spares right now. I don't throw particularly hard at them though. I notice that the pros throw their plastic balls at spares at like 25 MPH. Do they do this because even the plastic balls grab a little bit on the lanes?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

It's a combination of the fact that yes, the plastic balls do grab a little bit, and that pro bowlers are really loving accurate even at 25 MPH. I throw at like 16-17 MPH and couldn't dream of hitting my target accurately at that speed.

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
Good to know, I'll definitely have to keep that in mind when going across the middle at spares. I feel like Osku Palermaa's arm is going to come flying out of the socket one of these days still attached to the ball. I'm amazed that it goes even remotely in the direction that he wants it to go. Pretty amazing stuff.

Kouerson
Mar 5, 2008

If you die in Canada, you die in real life.
I bowl 5-pin, how ostracized am I here? I still haven't gotten up to a 200 average, so I'm still learning.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kouerson posted:

I bowl 5-pin, how ostracized am I here? I still haven't gotten up to a 200 average, so I'm still learning.

I remember when I moved from florida up to canada. I had bowled for a good 5 years down here and was excited to bowl again after I moved up there. We get to the bowling alley and it's a 5 pin alley and I'm like, what the gently caress is this!? I had never ever seen it before. You get 3 shots to knock down 5 pins, and the pins are on strings and the ball is a little bigger than a croquet ball?? I only bowled a few games and never really did it again. It was a completely foreign concept to me and after bowling 10 pin since I could remember, 5 pin just didn't do it for me.

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
I've done duckpin bowling before but I've never heard of 5-pin bowling. Looks fun though I have to admit.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Kouerson posted:

Nah man, I bowl 5 pin from time to time when I'm in Canada. It's actually my third favorite (Behind 10-pin [obviously] and Candle pin) form of bowling. It's pretty entertaining.

Second to last night of league was last night. I started out with the first 5 and couldn't carry poo poo afterward. 232-187-183 for a 602, but I couldn't feel satisfied about it because I needed a 607 to raise my average and, worst of all, I needed a double in the 10th of the last game to win the money. First shot was right in the pocket for a crushing strike. Then I put the next ball in the exact same spot and left a solid 8 pin. I made a joke earlier in the night about Randy Pedersen, too.

In better news, though, the team went 35-10, which increases our lead over the number 2 team to 32 points, so we could go 14-31 next week and still win the fourth quarter. Also, 45 points per night is the best way to do scoring.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Locutus of Bald posted:

Also, 45 points per night is the best way to do scoring.

45 points a night? Tell me more about this scoring system. I'm intrigued.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

IllegallySober posted:

45 points a night? Tell me more about this scoring system. I'm intrigued.

Each individual game is worth 2 points. 5 bowlers per team over 3 games makes this a total of 30 individual match points. Each team game is worth 4 points. 3 more team points for total pins at the end of night makes 45.

I kind of wish they would have made it 50 points a night somehow, because that seems more convenient to me. But guys who are in multiple leagues at our center say they like it more than the other leagues, including a Thursday league where everything is one point. Having each person's game be equal points-wise to total team pins seems like a bad idea to me.

Kouerson
Mar 5, 2008

If you die in Canada, you die in real life.

mattfl posted:

I remember when I moved from florida up to canada. I had bowled for a good 5 years down here and was excited to bowl again after I moved up there. We get to the bowling alley and it's a 5 pin alley and I'm like, what the gently caress is this!? I had never ever seen it before. You get 3 shots to knock down 5 pins, and the pins are on strings and the ball is a little bigger than a croquet ball?? I only bowled a few games and never really did it again. It was a completely foreign concept to me and after bowling 10 pin since I could remember, 5 pin just didn't do it for me.

It is jarringly different styles, especially when 5-pin technique is to throw it almost flat into the pocket.

String set lanes are the norm which sucks, because free fall gave for some wicked action off those little pins. I'm suprised you could only find 5, though. 10 is very popular here, probably just a little more than 5.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

A quick rule of thumb on the Kegel patterns, if that's what you're using. Take the length of the pattern, subtract 31 and that's the board you want to target to start. Some patterns you'll still be targeting there and just moving your feet, some you'll be moving all over the lane.

For example, I'm on Winding Road now, which is 39 feet. So my target at the beginning of the night is 8 board. It doesn't stay there long, but that's a good starting point.

Also, you'll want to pay attention who is ahead of you if you're moving across pairs, or who is bowling with you if you stay on the same pair. Look where they are playing and the lines they are carving out and how they adjust. You have to make your own room on a sport pattern, so if someone similar to your style has a wide open shot, steal it. Do this during practice, too. If everyone is playing inside there's a reason for it. You're not going to overpower a lane unless you have 550 revs. And in some cases that won't even help you.

Above all, you will get frustrated. You will be in a groove and then your line will evaporate on literally the next shot. You will learn to shoot every spare. You will have an opponent who has ten boards of room while you have two. And you will shoot 150s to start, but you will improve so much that a house shot is laughable.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I have a question. Yesterday me and my dad went to get in some practice before our league starts next week. My normal approach is my feet are between the 1st and 2nd dots nearest to the foul line and I put my ball anywhere between the 3rd and gutter and it'll come back into the pocket. I'm throwing a Storm Frantic ball. Well my first couple balls I tried my normal approach and according to my dad the lanes were pretty much without oil, extremely dry because my ball would hook just about all the way across the lane. I adjusted and moved my feet to the left of the center dot and was putting my ball out towards the 2nd/3rd arrow but I just could not get a consistent line to the pocket. I didn't feel too bad because neither could my dad and he told me that the lanes probably wouldn't even get that bad during league, although by the 3rd game they are going to be pretty dry. What's the best way to shoot in a situation like that? I've been consistently in the 210+ everyday on normal lanes and was barely breaking 175 on these dry conditions. Is a different ball in order or should I be throwing more straight at the pocket on extremely dry lanes?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I'm not up on my balls but I'm assuming the Frantic is a medium to heavy oil ball? If you want to keep throwing that on torched lanes then you need to move way left, target near the center arrow, and swing it out to wherever gets you near the pocket. On a typical house shot that's been burned up like that if you swing it too far it'll come screaming back harder than before. Your other option is to switch to something with a coverstock that goes real long and move right. Take a lot of hand out of the ball and play it more or less straight up. Your heavy oil balls will be gripping way too early on a burnt up shot like that and even if you somehow manage to hit the pocket you won't have all that much drive.

You might have just picked a bad day to go bowling. At my center April is in between the end of fall leagues and the beginning of summer leagues. Since we also don't get a ton of open play during the week in April we only oil the lanes about twice a week. If you came in three or four days after the last time they ran the machine then who knows what sort of slop you were bowling on.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Devo posted:

I'm not up on my balls but I'm assuming the Frantic is a medium to heavy oil ball? If you want to keep throwing that on torched lanes then you need to move way left, target near the center arrow, and swing it out to wherever gets you near the pocket. On a typical house shot that's been burned up like that if you swing it too far it'll come screaming back harder than before. Your other option is to switch to something with a coverstock that goes real long and move right. Take a lot of hand out of the ball and play it more or less straight up. Your heavy oil balls will be gripping way too early on a burnt up shot like that and even if you somehow manage to hit the pocket you won't have all that much drive.

You might have just picked a bad day to go bowling. At my center April is in between the end of fall leagues and the beginning of summer leagues. Since we also don't get a ton of open play during the week in April we only oil the lanes about twice a week. If you came in three or four days after the last time they ran the machine then who knows what sort of slop you were bowling on.

Ya, the frantic is a medium/heavy oil ball. This is the house I've been going to for the past couple months and I've never had the lanes been this bad. It was 30 mins before the nightly league starts and I don't usually go on wednesday's so maybe they hadn't oiled since the monday league. Either way, thanks for the advise. My dad who bowled there last year in league said the lanes wouldn't be this bad even during league so I'm not too worried, just wanted to know what to do in a situation like this so thanks for the advise! 5 more days until my first league in 20+ years!

Oh one more thing. My dad had been using an almost 15+ year old Visionary Warlock bowling ball. Well last month was his birthday and since this is the first time we'll both be bowling league together I decided he needed an upgrade so I told him his birthday present is me buying him a new ball. We went a few weeks ago and had him try out a few different balls and had the pro shop guy who is really a great guy and knows his poo poo help him pick out a ball that suits him. Wound up getting him one of the new Brunswick C (System) versa-max balls. He was blown away at how different of a ball it was compared to his visionary. The ball hits and drives so much harder/better than his 15+ year old ball he couldn't believe it. He's super excited and can't wait to start league next week.

mattfl fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 26, 2012

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Finally got back on track last night with 203-190-202. If I could have been shooting that the last 4 weeks we'd be clearly in the lead and would likely win the entire season outright. If we sweep the next two weeks we can pull it out I think. Otherwise it's to a roll-off.

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.

Critical posted:

A quick rule of thumb on the Kegel patterns, if that's what you're using. Take the length of the pattern, subtract 31 and that's the board you want to target to start. Some patterns you'll still be targeting there and just moving your feet, some you'll be moving all over the lane.

For example, I'm on Winding Road now, which is 39 feet. So my target at the beginning of the night is 8 board. It doesn't stay there long, but that's a good starting point.

Also, you'll want to pay attention who is ahead of you if you're moving across pairs, or who is bowling with you if you stay on the same pair. Look where they are playing and the lines they are carving out and how they adjust. You have to make your own room on a sport pattern, so if someone similar to your style has a wide open shot, steal it. Do this during practice, too. If everyone is playing inside there's a reason for it. You're not going to overpower a lane unless you have 550 revs. And in some cases that won't even help you.

Above all, you will get frustrated. You will be in a groove and then your line will evaporate on literally the next shot. You will learn to shoot every spare. You will have an opponent who has ten boards of room while you have two. And you will shoot 150s to start, but you will improve so much that a house shot is laughable.

Thanks for the advice. I'm really looking forward to the challenge and I know that it will start off really rough. But its a summer league and most importantly I'm looking for the experience and I won't be too hard on myself for being well below my average.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin

Devo posted:

If it's a PBA Experience league you can usually find a breakdown of how the pros attack the patterns.

It's a good concept but all of the pros' "breakdowns" end up being something like "Starting off, I like to go as straight as I can. Then as the lanes break down I move in and open up to hook it more." On every pattern. Not really telling me anything new here.

Also, switching gears here, a good way to do a 50 point league is to have each individual game worth 1 and each individual series worth 2. That's 5 per bowler and 25 total. Then make each team game worth 5 and team series worth 10 for the other 25 points. There's a scratch league in this area that uses that format.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Has anyone punched up a Brunswick Karma solid yet? Looking to replace my Total Inferno, and a lady on my team has one ,but she has no ballspeed /hand.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Oh god, bowling in two league finals in two straight weeks oh god oh god :ohdear:

everybody's going to be watching

oh god

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So I had my first league night in close to 20 years last night! Wasn't the best night, could have been worse. I will admit I was a little nervous and that probably played into my poor play last night, but it's still no excuse. I've been practicing for a few months now on the same lanes and was regularly shooting 190+ but I just couldn't find my spot last night. I also couldn't keep my hand dry no matter what I tried and my ball was sticking a lot more than usual. I wound up ending the night with a 170 average which I dam well better pull up by at least 20 pins or so. The lanes once again seemed pretty dry and my Frantic was all over the place, I moved left and right but just couldn't seem to find where it wanted to be. Thinking of hitting the pro shop guy up and see what he has for when the lanes are dry like this. All in all it wasn't all that bad, just a combination of a lot of little things that could have been better. We had fun and the other 2 guys on the team are good guys and we should do well in the league. It's a handicap league and so far it looks like I'll be the guy pulling in the pins, for now.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
All right, so I'm heading to a PBA regional tournament tomorrow. It's been some time since I had a good serving of humble pie. Who knows, maybe I'll do well. If so that will only make the following vacation to Yosemite that much more enjoyable. Wish me luck.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
So after weeks trying to tell the 18yr old who oils our lanes that the machine is busted and laying down a wrong pattern... He finally goes out there and tries it for himself to confirm it. :bravo:

It has supposedly been laying out "Easy Street," but seemingly dumping heavy oil on the 1-3 and 37-39 boards. So yeah, if you swing it out, it just hangs there and either hits super low, or falls right in the channel.

Although I'm kind of bummed the new owners are dumb and not inviting leagues next fall, I'm really glad I'm not going to be bowling at this piece of poo poo house that has no idea how to run the place or buy decent equipment.

I hate getting mad about bowling :(

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
On the plus side, you are bowling on an even harder shot!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Thom P. Tiers posted:

On the plus side, you are bowling on an even harder shot!

Yeah, hopefully that means I'll be able to wreck poo poo in my summer league (in a different house).

If I had a more tame ball, it probably wouldn't have been as big of a headache.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
When I bowled for college, our machine at our lovely union basement was broke as hell. We had like three sport shots programmed into it, one of them was the US Open shot (~42 feet of flat oil). The machine put it out every time no matter what you selected or changed. So I bowled 6 games on that every drat Monday night for 3 years straight. The only plus side was, it made me a better bowler on harder shots.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Bowled in a tournament with 190 players today. $2k for first. Shot 178-214-256 to make the cut to semi-finals by a mile, and won high handicap game for the third game with a 301 for $50.

Bowled on the most burnt to poo poo lanes in the semis and couldn't do a thing. I have an Ebonite Cyclone that's drilled negative (pin is to the left of my middle finger, I'm a righty) for exactly that occasion and it wanted to start moving at 30 feet. Shot a 690 with handicap to miss the cut by 19 pins.

Then they bowled the match play finals on fresh oil and I watched a dude with a 155 average string the front 9. Figures.

Made $205 on the day and I should be happy with it but I still kinda want to punch things.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

This is me, irl, celebrating my team's victory in the roll-off tonight. I have no idea why they decided to do the Tuesday night league finals on Sunday night, but I'm good with it.

Picked up the last 6 strikes in the last game to put us over the top. I'm not sure yet how I'm going to spend my share of the $1500 we won.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Sup roll-off victory buddy :hfive:

We even had to play the team we were facing in the roll-off in a full match before hand. We stomped them the first game, then they stomped us the other two. Then we switch lanes and take them down by about 50 pins.

I honestly thought they were going to beat us pretty bad, but they just couldn't adjust to the new lanes, and thankfully, the condition of it suited our team better.

After the hell of a time I've had dealing with the oil in the second half of this season... feels good man.

Now I've got about a month off until the summer league starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Finished 2nd in our junior /senior league with the kidlet ; so some scholarship $$ for her

• Locked thread