Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

greazeball posted:

Sandals, dark socks, bermuda shorts, England football jersey or topless if you are fat and have bulldog tattoos, horrific sunburn.

Basically, I don't want to look like I'm from Newcastle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Cjones posted:

Basically, I don't want to look like I'm from Newcastle.

Y-you don't? In that case, wear a coat when it's cold and carry an umbrella when it's raining.

Honestly though, beachwear is easy. Just wear whatever you like wearing, you're not going to fool anybody into thinking you're Spanish and they area will likely be full of horrible horrible tourists anyway. The up side of this is that if you're not drunk and sunburned you should get a fairly good reaction from people.

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

greazeball posted:

Honestly though, beachwear is easy. Just wear whatever you like wearing, you're not going to fool anybody into thinking you're Spanish and they area will likely be full of horrible horrible tourists anyway. The up side of this is that if you're not drunk and sunburned you should get a fairly good reaction from people.

I'm party Swedish so I'll probably end up with a bit of a burn.

How about casual wear? Night clothes? What to wear when I'm taking classes?

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Cjones posted:

I'm party Swedish so I'll probably end up with a bit of a burn.

How about casual wear? Night clothes? What to wear when I'm taking classes?

Do you not honestly know how to dress yourself?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Landsknecht posted:

You got your swedish style formal, party-hearty, and going to school looks right there.

Just kidding :D

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Landsknecht posted:

Sorry, I had a friend who went last year and made a big deal about how differently people dress but after looking at some photos from the university I think he was over-exaggerating it a bit.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Cjones posted:

Sorry, I had a friend who went last year and made a big deal about how differently people dress but after looking at some photos from the university I think he was over-exaggerating it a bit.

Where are you from? If you're from the UK poo poo is exactly the same on the continent as it is there, you have stylish people and not stylish people, as long as you have some style you'll be fine.

If you're from the US it's also not different, just look at what JCrew is putting out, plain chinos+nice shirts always goes great anywhere in the summer. Loafers+Chinos+Lacoste tennis shirts is basically the thing that every central Italian wears all summer, so heh.

Clothes and style are so globalized now it's all pretty similar, I'm from Canada and live in Germany and I've been asked numerous times if I'm a Swede because apparently my clothes+haircut seem to give that impression. There are a lot of mens clothing items that are universally worn across the western world, these being jeans, chinos, polo shirts, dress shirts and tshirts. Europeans tend to wear slimmer, tighter clothes, but if you have these standard things you'll blend in fine.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Can anyone recommend an internet cafe or something where I can log into my gmail and print off documents in Rome? Bonus points if it's near a metro station!

Thanks!!

somnolence
Sep 29, 2011
How are Rome/Athens around Christmas? I'm trying to make a decision between the two for spending 10 or so days shortly after 12/14.

somnolence fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 7, 2012

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Not sure if this is the best thread for this question, but here goes. My wife is Dutch. Likewise our two young sons. I am American. We live in California. Recently my wife has talked about returning to the Netherlands. What are the Netherlands rules for me joining her and working in that country? I'll be an RN before we go, so I have what I assume to be a decent skillset.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Except for loads of annoying paperwork I don't think there are any special rules for Americans. We've made up a bunch of rules and regulations to prevent people from certain countries to enter through (arranged) marriage, but the USA is not one of them.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Oxford Comma posted:

Not sure if this is the best thread for this question, but here goes. My wife is Dutch. Likewise our two young sons. I am American. We live in California. Recently my wife has talked about returning to the Netherlands. What are the Netherlands rules for me joining her and working in that country? I'll be an RN before we go, so I have what I assume to be a decent skillset.

If you're married, your skill set doesn't matter as far as getting permanent residency in the Netherlands. Just apply as a spouse. You don't even need to apply before you go (although you probably should).

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
My wife and I were thinking of doing Prague-Vienna-Budapest this year, and we have no idea what to do about planning what to see in each city. We're looking at about 10-12 days total, so we're thinking 3 nights in each city. The only thing I have on my list so far is going to see the Sedlec Ossuary, but that's disposable if there's a better use of my time actually staying in Prague. Aside from that, I have no idea what to do other than eat and get drunk.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

The only thing I have on my list so far is going to see the Sedlec Ossuary

The ossuary isn't too big, you shouldn't expect to spend more than an hour in there (basically, it is contained inside a not-too-large church). However, it is in the vicinity of Kutná Hora which is full of other attractions that should fill up the rest of the day. If you are interested in history and architecture, the cathedral of St. Barbora is a must, together with the town centre. Alternatively, you can buy a tour of the old silver mines under the town, which is quite interesting.
There is also an old mint house which showcases medieval coin-making, but I never actually visited that particular museum.

http://www.kutna-hora.net/en/ should have more information.

In Vienna, most historical sites are quite apparent, but I'd recommend taking some time to visit the Hotel Sacher café (if you don't plan to do so already) and try their trademark chocolate cake, which is basically THE symbol of Austrian high cuisine.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 7, 2012

lucythenomad
Mar 6, 2012
edit: nevermind

lucythenomad fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 8, 2012

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

My wife and I were thinking of doing Prague-Vienna-Budapest this year, and we have no idea what to do about planning what to see in each city. We're looking at about 10-12 days total, so we're thinking 3 nights in each city. The only thing I have on my list so far is going to see the Sedlec Ossuary, but that's disposable if there's a better use of my time actually staying in Prague. Aside from that, I have no idea what to do other than eat and get drunk.

3 days in Budapest:
First day: Buda side: castle, Matthias Church, Fisherman's bastion, walking in the old town. If you have time left: a walk on Margaret Sziget/Island. Gellert hill in the evening for a nice view of the city.
2nd day: Pest side: Parliament building (make a reservation online in advance. There will be scalpers outside, but that will be a rip-off. EU citizens can enter for free, but it fills up quickly, so make the reservation.) Cathedral of St. Stephen. Go to the top. Potentially Opera Building. Take the yellow metro to Heroes's square, see the immitation Dracula castle, and I strongly recommend a visit to the Szechenyi bath + massage there. (or another bath house)
3rd day. Perhaps make a day trip to Esztergom (has a quite impressive cathedral), and Visegrad (old castle) + nice scenery along the Danube.
There is also Statue Park a bit outside the city, where they dragged communist statues to from all over Eastern Russia after the Iron Curtain came down.

Never been Vienna, but you could consider a day trip to Bratislava from there. You can see the whole city in 1 day, and it has a nice feel to it, but not as impressive, nor touristy, as the other 3.

There is plenty of stuff to do in Prague: castle and surroundings, old square with the astronomical clock on the bell tower, Jewish quarter.
Day trip to the Ossuary and Kutna Hora is indeed recommended. But the tour I went on didn't give you much time to explore Kutna Hora itself. It was in the winter though, and lots of stuff was closed. Didn't know you could visit the silver mines; would have loved to do that.
Another option is a trip to Theresienstadt concentration camp.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Cjones posted:

My impression from Spain in summer was that the main difference between locals and tourists was that locals wore long pants although it was pretty drat hot. That was downtown Madrid and Barcelona, though.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

OperaMouse posted:

a quite impressive cathedral), and Visegrad (old castle) + nice scenery along the Danube.
There is also Statue Park a bit outside the city, where they dragged communist statues to from all over Eastern Russia after the Iron Curtain came down.

Never been Vienna, but you could consider a day trip to Bratislava from there. You can see the whole city in 1 day, and it has a nice feel to it, but not as impressive, nor touristy, as the other 3.

There is plenty of stuff to do in Prague: castle and surroundings, old square with the astronomical clock on the bell tower, Jewish quarter.
Day trip to the Ossuary and Kutna Hora is indeed recommended. But the tour I went on didn't give you much time to explore Kutna Hora itself. It was in the winter though, and lots of stuff was closed. Didn't know you could visit the silver mines; would have loved to do that.
Another option is a trip to Theresienstadt concentration camp.

The best thing about Bratislava is that it's only an hour away from Vienna. Unless I had a LOT of time in Vienna, I would not recommend wasting a day on Bratislava. It's not that Bratislava sucks--it's that Vienna is awesome. 3 days means you should stay in Vienna.

Hotel Sacher's café has a fine chocolate cake, but I just would absolutely not wait in line, as some people do, to sit down there and eat it in a crowded tourist hellhole. I went a couple days ago at like 8pm and it was empty except for a couple old women and us, so it's sometimes nice, sometimes awful. The same for that gelato that people queue up for 30 minutes for (I can't remember the name). It's good, but not 30 minutes better than any of the other gelaterias.

Seconding Esztergom as worth a day trip if the weather is good; the cathedral there is particularly awesome. I think it's the second highest Basilica in Europe after St Peter's or something.

Thirding Sedlec Ossuary/Kutna Hora. You don't really need a tour group to go there though; just take a public bus and go yourself. I noticed most people were there on tour groups though.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Saladman posted:

If you're married, your skill set doesn't matter as far as getting permanent residency in the Netherlands. Just apply as a spouse. You don't even need to apply before you go (although you probably should).

Would I be able to work legally? And would I ever be eligible for Dutch citizenship?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Oxford Comma posted:

Would I be able to work legally? And would I ever be eligible for Dutch citizenship?

Getting a work permit as a spouse will probably involve nothing more than standing in a line every year or so (this is based in my experience in Ireland and Switzerland, so I am speculating a bit). Some countries have restrictions if you've been married less than a year. If you want to work as a nurse though, speaking Dutch will likely be an important factor.

You'll probably get permanent resident status as a spouse after about 5 years but once you're over 18 the US doesn't allow you to get a 2nd passport (if you want to become Dutch you'd have to give up your US passport).

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

greazeball posted:

but once you're over 18 the US doesn't allow you to get a 2nd passport

Not true, America has no problem with dual citizens, the only problems with being one come from the nation of your second citizenship (i.e. - countries like Germany and Holland) who require you to give up your other citizenship.

As an American you would have no problem getting French, British or Belgian citizenship after living there for the required amount of time.

Oxford Comma could quite easily get Dutch citizenship if Wikipedia is to be believed:

"Although Dutch law restricts dual citizenship, it is possible for Dutch subjects to legally hold dual citizenship in a number of circumstances, including persons who become naturalised Dutch subjects, who obtain an exemption from the requirement to renounce their foreign citizenship, such as those married to Dutch subjects."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_nationality_law#Dual_citizenship

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 9, 2012

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Gold and a Pager posted:

Not true, America has no problem with dual citizens, the only problems with being one come from the nation of your second citizenship (i.e. - countries like Germany and Holland) who require you to give up your other citizenship.

As an American you would have no problem getting French, British or Belgian citizenship after living there for the required amount of time.

Wow, I've been very certain of this for a long time and now I can't remember why.

Thanks for the correction.

...and further confirmation that I'm an idiot arrived the same day: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0512/76072.html

greazeball fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 9, 2012

IceG
Feb 7, 2006

Bigger than Hitler - Better than Christ

I am going to Rome for 3 nights for business at the end of the month but only one day of that will be boring crap. Any good ideas on what to see or where to eat without paying insane prices? Can the Vatican be done in half a day?

I am staying pretty much in the centre if that makes a difference.

RKD
Jul 23, 2003
Resident BOFH
Since my questions don't warrant their own thread, I'll ask them here.

- In 2008, I made the unfortunate discovery that Germany is shut on sundays. I assume this hasn't changed? Does that mean that I should assume that museums and such are closed sunday/monday ?
- would 2-3 days (2 nights) per city be long enough to see major sights in Freiburg/Heidelberg/Wurzburg ?
- I plan to travel on all the routes of the Harz narrow gauge railway, which city should I use as base of travel ?

Thanks.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

RKD posted:

Since my questions don't warrant their own thread, I'll ask them here.

- In 2008, I made the unfortunate discovery that Germany is shut on sundays. I assume this hasn't changed? Does that mean that I should assume that museums and such are closed sunday/monday ?
- would 2-3 days (2 nights) per city be long enough to see major sights in Freiburg/Heidelberg/Wurzburg ?
- I plan to travel on all the routes of the Harz narrow gauge railway, which city should I use as base of travel ?

Thanks.

Museums are and have always (at least within the last 15-20 years) been open on Sunday. They're often closed on Monday though.

Germany relaxed its laws--actually I think in 2007--so major chain stores can be open something like 4 or 6 Sundays a year. However, yes probably everything will be shut on Sunday. I think stores generally use those free days in fall leading up to Christmas. (Privately-owned stores can be open on Sunday, but rarely are except for Asian grocers.) Stores in train stations are open on Sunday.

Freiburg: Yes, Heidelberg: Yes, Wurzburg: never been. Freiburg doesn't really have any sites that I can think of, except maybe the brewery? But it's a very pleasant city to walk around in and the nightlife is good assuming you go there when school is in session, since it's a college town (as is Heidelberg).

No idea about the last part.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

RKD posted:

If this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harz_Narrow_Gauge_Railways is what you're referring to, it looks like Erfurt, Braunschweig or Magdeburg might be the largest cities near to where you want to go.

But apparently the Harz railways connects the towns of Wernigerode, Nordhausen and Quedlinburg, so one of those might be a good place to go.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

IceG posted:

I am going to Rome for 3 nights for business at the end of the month but only one day of that will be boring crap. Any good ideas on what to see or where to eat without paying insane prices? Can the Vatican be done in half a day?

I am staying pretty much in the centre if that makes a difference.

You COULD do the Vatican in half a day but I wouldn't recommend it. Do you have two days, or three to see rome? If two, do St Peters, Vatican museum, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon and Spanish Steps in one (it'll be a hell of a big day) and in the second do the Colosseum, Roman Forum and Palatine Hill.

IceG
Feb 7, 2006

Bigger than Hitler - Better than Christ

HookShot posted:

You COULD do the Vatican in half a day but I wouldn't recommend it. Do you have two days, or three to see rome? If two, do St Peters, Vatican museum, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon and Spanish Steps in one (it'll be a hell of a big day) and in the second do the Colosseum, Roman Forum and Palatine Hill.

I have two free days and that itinerary sounds pretty great thank you!

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Going to London tomorrow for a daytrip working for my photography project. I'm looking for urban environments that incorporate natural elements. I'm particularly want places that are either really sterile (eg offices) where people try and flourish it up with plants. I'm planning to go to the Barbican, visit the commercial district and probably check out the Olympic sites. Does anyone have a good recommendation to check out as well?

For examples, here are some of my pictures I've already uploaded and might give you an idea of what I'm looking for: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fragrag/sets/72157629713196028/

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Fragrag posted:

probably check out the Olympic sites.

There are some really insane laws about protecting the Olympic sites from terrorist photography (or some such crap) and there's been a bunch of incidents where photographers have been harassed by private security for merely taking snaps.

I'm not saying you shouldn't take shots, but be aware.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I'm going on a two week trip to London, Paris, and Prague with most of my time (about a week) in London. I want to know what are my options for prepaid SIM cards for my unlocked smartphone with T-Mobile USA frequencies? (2G GSM 850/900/1800/1900, 3G HSDPA 850/1900/2100)

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Edward IV posted:

I'm going on a two week trip to London, Paris, and Prague with most of my time (about a week) in London. I want to know what are my options for prepaid SIM cards for my unlocked smartphone with T-Mobile USA frequencies? (2G GSM 850/900/1800/1900, 3G HSDPA 850/1900/2100)

You can get something like WorldSIM ( http://www.worldsim.com/ ) or you can buy a SIM card in every country, though honestly I would just recommend using Skype/Facetime/iMessage/email when you're within WiFi range and turning off your phone in case of emergencies.

Your phone can use all European SIM cards--there's only one* type of SIM/frequency unless you're worried about 4G connectivity.

(* Verizon's different but it simply will not work under any circumstance anywhere outside the US and maybe Canada.)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Saladman posted:

You can get something like WorldSIM ( http://www.worldsim.com/ ) or you can buy a SIM card in every country, though honestly I would just recommend using Skype/Facetime/iMessage/email when you're within WiFi range and turning off your phone in case of emergencies.

Your phone can use all European SIM cards--there's only one* type of SIM/frequency unless you're worried about 4G connectivity.

(* Verizon's different but it simply will not work under any circumstance anywhere outside the US and maybe Canada.)

It depends what you're using your phone for. I found that having mobile internet was well, well worth the cost of buying SIM cards on my recent trip. Having Google Maps when you're wandering around an unfamiliar city is incredibly useful. However, you are correct that you should probably use Skype for phoning and text messages -- when you have mobile data, it's even more useful, since you can use it anywhere.

It really depends how much it's worth to you. If you have 20-30 Euro to blow per country for a bit of added convenience, go for it. Otherwise, just use WiFi. And remember that the sort of shared WiFi you're going to encounter on vacation is generally flaky as all gently caress.

Alkazard.exe
Mar 25, 2008
Okay, I'm utterly hopeless (or just very naive).
Cheapest way to get to London -> Belgium next week?

e: Upon second look the best** I can find is bus from London (Victoria) to Antwerp. Seems that might be my best bet.

**Read: Only thing that wasn't $200-300+++

Alkazard.exe fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 15, 2012

somnolence
Sep 29, 2011
I'll be in Athens for about 8 days following my fall quarter, is there anything that's absolutely must-see? I'm planning on walking around the city as much as possible. My hostel is located basically smack dab in the center of town.

PaoFerro
Jun 24, 2010

Alkazard.exe posted:

Okay, I'm utterly hopeless (or just very naive).
Cheapest way to get to London -> Belgium next week?

e: Upon second look the best** I can find is bus from London (Victoria) to Antwerp. Seems that might be my best bet.

**Read: Only thing that wasn't $200-300+++

You could just fly RyanAir from London > Eindhoven then get the train to Antwerp if you're really worried about price. Flights are probably $50 or so, not sure about the train though.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
ahhh what the gently caress why are hostels so expensive in warsaw :stare:

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
Myself and the better half will be in Lisbon for the last day of Optimus Alive, we'll be in town from Saturday till Tuesday but we haven't booked an apartment yet. What areas should I aim to stay at/avoid? Does anyone have a recommendation for a site to book the apartment through? We've liked most of the places on here but we don't know if there's somewhere better out there. Our budget for the apartment is about 300 Euro for the 5 days.

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

When we have more time, I'll acquaint you with the various processes of sculptoring. It's a fascinating art to which I devoted many hours of study.

Laminator posted:

ahhh what the gently caress why are hostels so expensive in warsaw :stare:

Euro 2012, I expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

Fiskenbob posted:

Euro 2012, I expect.

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck

this is why better planning is important. At least I'll have a good time with all the drunk football fans I guess, though I won't have any money with $50/night hostels