Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house

wyoming posted:

All the previous ones have been playable.

The previous ones didn't involve overhauling how single player operates. You aren't supposed to rely on snapshots like an official update, they're released because it might be interesting for people to test experimental features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, SSP's conversion is only half-finished right now, maybe not even that. Jeb even mentioned this in the update post. It's going to be super buggy and probably unplayable. If you want to actually play minecraft, don't download this, or any other snapshot. That's not what they're for.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

FPzero posted:

http://youtu.be/1LqZ4_g18xk
Official Launch Trailer for Minecraft for Xbox 360.

I don't know why but it looks more fun. Probably the appeal of couch gaming with everyone.

Edit: Also,
Tutorial Overview
Multiplayer Overview

This is a little nitpicky but they probably could've used some buildings in the trailer that didn't look lovely.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
You know, one of these seasons I want one player to just spend all his time with a cobblestone generator, building a tower to so the last two men standing becomes this battle of epic proportions with a tower full of traps and poo poo.

Aussie Dingbat
Apr 21, 2012

Dingbat from Down Under
Here are today's links.

Mindcrak UHC Season 5 Episode 5

1. GuudeBoulderfist
  2. PauseUnpause
  3. W92Baj
  4. VintageBeef
  5. EthosLab
  6. docm77
  7. KurtJMac
  8. BdoubleO100
  9. Pakratt
  10. Nebris
  11. just_defy
  12. Zisteau
What is Mindcrack UHC? Click here to find out.

Aussie Dingbat fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 7, 2012

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Fren posted:

You know, one of these seasons I want one player to just spend all his time with a cobblestone generator, building a tower to so the last two men standing becomes this battle of epic proportions with a tower full of traps and poo poo.

I'd like to see a season where no one dies due to Minecraft-hates-you lag bullshit.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

How is everyone building ridiculously complicated poo poo now that mcedit doesn't work anymore?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

change my name posted:

How is everyone building ridiculously complicated poo poo now that mcedit doesn't work anymore?

Single Player Commands and WorldEdit are amazing. Don't even have to leave the game to do it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fren posted:

Just pillar up the side of the tower and break in.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Well you make it hard for them to do that. I mean, right?

EDIT: Oh loving Kurt. That is bullshit. I can't believe the player objectively doing the best went out because of a loving glitch.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I'm hoping that there will be a rush to the nether to get Guudes stuff.

e; it won't happen obviously.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 5, 2012

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fren posted:

Oh loving Kurt. That is bullshit. I can't believe the player objectively doing the best went out because of a loving glitch.

It took the wrath of god to take him out.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

It took the wrath of dogs to take him out.

Fixed that for you. What a bizarre glitch, still don't know how or what the hell happened. Seems like he died when one of his dogs teleported through him

Kainser posted:

I'm hoping that there will be a rush to the nether to get Guudes stuff.

e; it won't happen obviously.

Stuff despawns in five minutes of not being in an actively loaded chunk, right? I forget how those mechanics work but even if someone tried, they probably wouldn't be fast enough.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Stuff despawns in five minutes of not being in an actively loaded chunk, right? I forget how those mechanics work but even if someone tried, they probably wouldn't be fast enough.

Five minutes when it is in an actively loaded chunk. Used to be that unloading and reloading the chunk made it persist indefinitely, but I think that might have been changed. And it might even work differently in multiplayer, so I have no idea.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
What a crappy way for Kurt to go out. Oh well.

And watching Etho was driving me nuts. Slowest predator ever. Editing in a voiceover from Doc when they finally met was pretty funny though.

Aquelia
Oct 22, 2009

Line the outer wall of the tower with dispensers that shoot arrows in every direction.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Fren posted:

I always wanted to play one of these and spend the entire time trying to cover a huge area of desert with cactuses and build a small path and platform above to fight on.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Actually gently caress the cobblestone generator. Go into the nether, grab shittons of nether and light every flat surface of the tower on fire.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I just wiped the Lost Shard server today, we have a brand new map and a bunch of changes to make PvP more like it was before 1.0 came out. If you liked Ultima Online you might like Lost Shard.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

You can extinguish fires by clicking on them. Lava walls would be more effective.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Lucid Dream posted:

I just wiped the Lost Shard server today, we have a brand new map and a bunch of changes to make PvP more like it was before 1.0 came out. If you liked Ultima Online you might like Lost Shard.

I love having 100 blacksmithing :allears:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Also woah, it really has been a long time since I've played. Who else knew that you could use the ctrl key as binoculars (kind of)?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Doesn't work for me. I'd love some binoculars.

I'm on the latest official release. Whichever one was supposed to fix cats but didn't.

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
Guude's episode made for some good viewing. I know they edited the surface to have a glass barrier at +/- 2000 units along the X and Z axes, but there doesn't seem to be any equivalent barrier in the nether. Combined with the fact that 1 nether unit equals 8 surface units, players shouldn't really be going more than 250 units in the nether. Guude may have gone further than this, I didn't catch his coords, but he died anyway.

Oh, and kurt's death was total rear end. Fix your game notch.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DuFfY posted:

If anyone is still interested in my game, I've taken a couple of screenshots of some changes I made to the grass. I still plan on adding sloped terrain mixed in with the layered style shown here. I tweaked the lighting system a bit to create some varied shadowing, and the grass color dynamically changes throughout the world.

Ignore the ugly-rear end water and the trees, both will be changing.

I've been primarily working on the item and GUI system over the last few weeks, but this is not yet ready to show. I made these quick grass modifications to have a break and show something off.

The item system is going to be rather deep. The weapons and tools have their own randomly generated models and can contain many various magical properties.

I've been somewhat hooked on these UHC vids, I like the idea of including a similar mode as a stock gamestyle, but I think the correct approach will be make the game as per my original design while ensuring the modding tools will allow such a gamemode to be easily implemented.

I am very much impressed by yours, more than the others even. Minecraft without blocks sounds wonderful.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

change my name posted:

Also woah, it really has been a long time since I've played. Who else knew that you could use the ctrl key as binoculars (kind of)?

I think this might be a feature of optifine.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Disappointing Pie posted:

I think this might be a feature of optifine.

Lucid don't ban me for haxxx

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Lycus posted:

What a crappy way for Kurt to go out. Oh well.

And watching Etho was driving me nuts. Slowest predator ever. Editing in a voiceover from Doc when they finally met was pretty funny though.

I agree with you on Etho. I was screaming at my monitor after about 20 minutes; I thought the guy was supposed to be good at Minecraft.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Colonel J posted:

I agree with you on Etho. I was screaming at my monitor after about 20 minutes; I thought the guy was supposed to be good at Minecraft.

He IS good at minecraft. He's just extremely careful, sometimes to a fault. But more times than not his carefulness pays off. Whether or not it made good video was irrelevant because his carefulness scored him a good kill without loosing too many hearts.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

He IS good at minecraft. He's just extremely careful, sometimes to a fault. But more times than not his carefulness pays off. Whether or not it made good video was irrelevant because his carefulness scored him a good kill without loosing too many hearts.

A good kill AND enough gold to make an apple to get those hearts back AND diamonds AND, well, awesomeness. Etho's heading right for the top!

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

It's a bit silly, because in the end the hearts he lost were due to him standing in the middle of the place for way too long while docm was clearly coming back. Had he been careful all the way, he probably wouldn't have lost hearts against doc.

But as much as I'm complaining, it was totally awesome and worth watching.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I've realized that I really, really want more stone types in Minecraft. I'm not sure if they would have to be crafting recipes or if they could just incorporate them into the world generation (hooray for starting over!), but it really hits home that for a sandbox utilizing natural resources, having two types of rock is just ridiculous.

I want to build things that look different and aren't made of flimsy materials and/or rare materials. Give me poo poo like marble and granite.

Also more recipes for decorations. ACTUAL chairs and tables and carpets instead of making ones for giants out of fences and pressure plates and wool blocks like some poor man's MacGuyver.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I really liked how Terraria had tons of items that were purely decorative, and always wished Minecraft did the same. It couldn't be too hard, right? Maybe once they fix out all the weirdness with Single Player just being local Multiplayer they can get to adding more new content.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I really liked how Terraria had tons of items that were purely decorative, and always wished Minecraft did the same. It couldn't be too hard, right? Maybe once they fix out all the weirdness with Single Player just being local Multiplayer they can get to adding more new content.

No, it means modders can add tons of new content.

The best feature about local Multiplayer is that if you can make a mod for singleplayer, now it will automatically work on Multiplayer, so every single mod will work on Multiplayer in the future, once this update's pushed out.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I kinda like the weird, slapped together furniture. It lets you get a little more unique with it. Beds were way cooler before there were actual beds.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jamesman posted:

Also more recipes for decorations. ACTUAL chairs and tables and carpets instead of making ones for giants out of fences and pressure plates and wool blocks like some poor man's MacGuyver.

How hard is it to mod in new blocks? With the block limit heightened as high as it has, a furniture mod seems entirely possible.

Hell, I've looked at a Java help manual. Maybe I can do this.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Any date planned for this update yet, by the way? We've been getting lots of neat snapshots lately but there's still a ton of what I assume is optimization work to do, and I don't know how long that takes.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

change my name posted:

This is an Optifine feature (as stated previously), but a zoom tool of some sort would be great to have in vanilla Minecraft. Perhaps a telescope you can craft?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Schwarzwald posted:

How hard is it to mod in new blocks?

It must be very hard if Mojang can't even do it for their own game. :v:

Serious question: Is there something unreasonable or pointless about wanting vanilla Mincraft to be improved versus loading your game up with a ton of mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe

Jamesman posted:

It must be very hard if Mojang can't even do it for their own game. :v:

Serious question: Is there something unreasonable or pointless about wanting vanilla Mincraft to be improved versus loading your game up with a ton of mods?

Basically, people hate waiting months and months for minor changes. Look at it this way, every time you mention a single neat improvement, mentally I'm comparing it to telling my girlfriend something that makes her decide to change one item of her outfit. loving hours for the slightest thing, I kid you not.

The prospect of them deciding to add one single block to Minecraft just makes me hate the game because I know it's not going to be working until December. And the added block'll probably catch fire if a cat sits on it.