Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

What about features they removed already? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is there an easy way to move bookmarks, stored info etc. from a different browser into Opera? Waffling over whether or not to stick with Chrome or give Opera a try, but want all the pages I saved with Chrome to be in Opera from the get-go.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

I think it's fair to call Opera 12's last release a beta. It's feature complete (or should be :arghfist:).

Either way, this is going to be a legendary release -- positive or negative, it will be an interesting ride :suspense:

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

C-Euro posted:

Is there an easy way to move bookmarks, stored info etc. from a different browser into Opera? Waffling over whether or not to stick with Chrome or give Opera a try, but want all the pages I saved with Chrome to be in Opera from the get-go.

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/9991-opera-import-bookmarks-from-google-chrome

Export in Chrome, then tell Opera to import the file in Firefox's format. I guess Chrome shares it.

I really doubt stored passwords can be done easily, but I don't know.

feld posted:

I think it's fair to call Opera 12's last release a beta. It's feature complete (or should be :arghfist:).

Either way, this is going to be a legendary release -- positive or negative, it will be an interesting ride :suspense:

I think part of the problem is that "beta" doesn't mean what it used to. Because of products like google search / gmail being "beta" forever, and video game "betas" that are basically just demos and hype generators, people expect betas to be at least mostly usable for normal users, not unstable builds only for dedicated testers.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 30, 2012

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Anyone else having a problem where nothing happens when you click on a thumbnail [timg] to make it bigger on the forums?
Normally it opens another tab, but it hasn't done that in the last day or two.

Using 11.62.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Yeah they rejiggered the timg code so now it works "properly" in all browsers. You can now click the blue box in the upper left that appears on mouseover to make it fullsize/shrink again, but I guess the new tab thing was a bug.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Great.

What has to be the one time on this earth where a bug is actually a useful, convenient feature, (no precision necessary), and they loving ruined it.

:ironicat:

Want my tenbux back, etc. etc.
Oh well, I'll adapt, I guess.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 5, 2012

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Desperate need for help now because of somewhat recent SA forum changes.

So a bit ago they converted the method of embedding youtube from the old way to what I think is HTML5. The only problem being I'm going the noscript/whitelist approach for javascript and I've run into a hard roadblock because it will not display youtube on the SA forums anymore, just a black box.

QCS thread with a newly embedded video at the bottom.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3481303

So the global content preferences for my Opera 11.62 1347 are unchecked javascript and enable plugins on demand. But for youtube.com and somethingawful.com (and forums.somethingawful.com), I've enabled javascript and plugins so that they work without intervention.

But since they changed the embedding style on SA, youtube embed don't display at all unless I globally turn on javascript. Is there some way or some site I can change the site preferences on to reenable youtube or am I SOL? I checked this with a fresh 11.62 Opera install as well.

Help!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Ape Agitator posted:

So a bit ago they converted the method of embedding youtube from the old way to what I think is HTML5. The only problem being I'm going the noscript/whitelist approach for javascript and I've run into a hard roadblock because it will not display youtube on the SA forums anymore, just a black box.

So the global content preferences for my Opera 11.62 1347 are unchecked javascript and enable plugins on demand. But for youtube.com and somethingawful.com (and forums.somethingawful.com), I've enabled javascript and plugins so that they work without intervention.

But since they changed the embedding style on SA, youtube embed don't display at all unless I globally turn on javascript. Is there some way or some site I can change the site preferences on to reenable youtube or am I SOL? I checked this with a fresh 11.62 Opera install as well.

Help!

I have Javascript enabled and plugins enabled (but not the "only on demand" box).
I had the same problem, but when I restarted my PC, embedded youtube worked just fine again.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Mister Macys posted:

I have Javascript enabled and plugins enabled (but not the "only on demand" box).
I had the same problem, but when I restarted my PC, embedded youtube worked just fine again.

System restarted and still a black box.

And to be specific, I've got global javascript disabled but Site Preferences for both SA and youtube are for javascript enabled.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Ape Agitator posted:

Help!

quote:

<iframe class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/wgi-4v4PbFc?fs=1&theme=dark" frameborder="0"></iframe>
You may need to whitelist youtube-nocookie.com and maybe s.ytimg.com or ytimg.com.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

gibbed posted:

You may need to whitelist youtube-nocookie.com and maybe s.ytimg.com or ytimg.com.

Hero! People will write epic poems about you!

Works by enabling youtube-nocookie.com

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
The drag-and-drop bug is fixed with build 1406.

Holy hell is that ever nice.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
According to the comments, plugins haven't gotten any more stable though.
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2012/05/10/mac-sandboxing

And also they're getting rid of IRC and bittorrent to focus on what actually matters. I don't personally have a problem with this but the comments are pretty mad about it too.

I'm pretty disappointed that they released such a terrible beta and then the next build two weeks later is still unusable and barely closer.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Lakitu7 posted:

And also they're getting rid of IRC and bittorrent to focus on what actually matters. I don't personally have a problem with this but the comments are pretty mad about it too.

I really wanted IRC in a browser to be nice but it was pretty much ignored from the first release and just no good to use. It really sucked because if it had proper sound integration and notifications, it would have solved pretty much all of my very limited IRC needs. Instead, it was a chore and hard to consider even functional.

Edit: More than anything I wish that the Opera team would globally focus on just improving existing stuff. That's hardly a unique statement but drat if only they made this browser better instead of broader.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 10, 2012

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Is anyone else having a problem viewing Facebook in Opera? The only thing that loads is the bar at the very top with my name in it.

I got the Opera 12 Beta and that kind of worked; there's still some icons missing at the top, but at least I can see my news feed this way. Did facebook do some kind of crazy code update, or is this just a weird fluke?

E: Oh, apparently Opera updated itself in the past two hours and the new version does not have this problem. Well then, disregard.

Mico fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 11, 2012

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Is anybody else getting 400 sometimes immediately after submitting a reply?

quote:

<h1>400 - Bad request</h1>
Can't pipeline to HTTP/1.0

Should I disable pipelining in Opera, or is this something that's happening somewhere else in the Internet?

Thanks.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

prefect posted:

Should I disable pipelining in Opera, or is this something that's happening somewhere else in the Internet?

I'd guess that there is a proxy somewhere that's loving with your requests.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

New favorite Opera beta bug:

After OOP plugins have been loaded and closed(for instance, watching a video on youtube) it seems like Opera's ability to handle external URLS(from other programs) disappears.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jumping back a few days, it seems 11.64 needed to add a defence for allowing arbitrary code execution via the URL. Nasty stuff, although the likelihood of encountering this specific exploit would be super low in the first place.

My favourite Opera Next bug is that if I check for updates and there aren't any, the "Okay" button doesn't close the pop-up window no matter how many times you click it.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2012/05/16/opera-12-snapshot

Fixes to HWA, OOPP, flash, google maps.
People in the comments aren't all complaining about horrible-sounding things.

Perhaps we could have the first actually-usable build in months?

I'm giving it a go. Will report back.

The previous builds haven't lasted 5 mins with me and this one is lasting that, at least. I can watch a youtube without everything crashing. Google maps seems fine again. Drag and drop seems fine again.

[edit]I mangled that url somehow.

[edit2]Some progress bar options are broken. "Simple" makes me unable to type into the url bar anymore. "Show inside address bar" shows up in all-black in multiple skins. "Pop-up at bottom" is the wrong color (white instead of gray) bu at least it otherwise works and doesn't break anything else.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 20, 2012

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

To be fair, this is another build where HWA crashes on launch, despite opera:gpu stating my GPU(560Ti) should be fine. Also HWA worked up to about a month ago when some random version stopped it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
There is a rumor going around that Facebook might buy Opera
http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-facebook-opera-browser-20120525,0,5360169.story

It's a rumor, but the here's the reason:

quote:

Facebook is trying to solve its mobile monetizing problems and has been gobbling up various companies in recent months to increase its presence in the world of smartphones.

Well, if they're trying to do that, they could do worse than buying Opera.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
gently caress. Leave my browser alone Zuckerberg, I am not interested in your facebook.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Holy poo poo, this is the worst news rumor i've heard. I can't see a single good feature or design come from something like that.

In the case it happens i at least hope every opera dev gets drowned in cash, with the amount fb has going around.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
If Facebook buys Opera, I might actually, for realsies, consider Firefox.

I just dislike the idea that all the other browsers would be controlled by evil empires. :reject:

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
I've already been using Firefox quite a bit because of all of the stability problems in Opera 12; if this actually happens, well, it's been nice knowing you, Opera.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, really. The reason Opera's actually "worked" all these years is because it wasn't heavily monetized and forced to dance around to corporate and advertising bullshit. I mean, there's a chance they'd be left to their own devices, but it's so minuscule and every other possible result is a net negative...

Well, no point in worrying on rumors anyway.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
The last few 12 builds are actually usable again, at least for me, but there was just no excuse for how badly they'd been mismanaging them over the last couple months.

For some other potential buyers I'd think maybe they would benefit from some top-down directives toward focusing on making stuff actually work before adding even more half-broken features, but Facebook are kings of putting half-broken features that their users universally hate, without testing, on live servers, so with them this arena couldn't improve.

If they screwed it up, I don't even know what I would use. I'm guessing Firefox as well, because at least I can replicate most of the features with extensions, even if the end result is a bunch of bloat. It doesn't look like Chrome can even do vertical tabs anymore.

Heresiarch, or whoever else, what FF extensions have you found useful in replicating Opera functionality?

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 26, 2012

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Aside from FlashBlock, I haven't tried to replicate that much Opera stuff in Firefox with extensions. The main thing I miss when I use Firefox is speed and responsiveness, and there's no way to mod that in.

I know there's a Firefox extension that'll do the right-click+scrollwheel tab cycling, but the last time I tried it, it was kind of crap. Don't remember the name. The Firefox 13 beta has a speed dial thing, although it's more like Chrome's than Opera's, and it'll be in the next major release.

Exporting Opera's bookmarks as HTML and importing them into Firefox worked without a hitch, too. No extensions needed.

If this really does happen, and Facebook turns Opera into something terrible, then it might be worth making an Opera -> Facebook transition guide or something.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Maybe I'm just lucky but the past week's snapshots have been pretty stable for me, in fact the only crash I've encountered was when the auto-updater tried to shut Opera Next down, which was a bizarre time for it to happen. Maybe try again, Heresiarch?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
No, I agree, the last week's snapshots are pretty good again. This is what they should have called beta, not the garbage from last month.

I still may switch out to Firefox though. I've been giving that a trial run for the last couple days. I'm tired of so many bad/quirky page loads on popular sites, and things generally seem to load slower in Opera than in FF, so I'm not even sure why I'm using it anymore outside of tab stacking/grouping.

Either way I'll post an for-Opera-transitioners extensions list soonish when I've experimented a bit more.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Oh yeah, this last week's Opera shapshots have been much better. I'm sort of 50/50 Opera/Firefox right now and will probably stay that way until we know about the Facebook thing one way or another.

I don't know why Firefox is faster for you, Lakitu, Opera is always noticeably faster for me on nearly every site I visit. INTERNET.

er0k
Nov 21, 2002

i like ham.

I really doubt that will happen. If anything they'll license a version of the browser to FB like they do with Nintendo and Adobe.

...hopefully :sweatdrop:

Marlboro Lover
Apr 27, 2012

er0k posted:

I really doubt that will happen. If anything they'll license a version of the browser to FB like they do with Nintendo and Adobe.

...hopefully :sweatdrop:

I don't see why they would go with anything except maybe a licensed version. I mean, what more could they want than a dedicated browser that only shows Facebook pages?

Opera certainly is no slouch in the browsing area, but would they really want to allow their viewers to also browse the rest of the web?

Uh oh...I think I just stumbled across why FB buying Opera could be the end of everything I love about Opera. For a web browser that's been around for almost 20 years, it would be a shame to see it go away now.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I was about to say that the Opera devs seem to have their heads on straight and that another association with facebook would be unlikely to damage the main browser, but with facebook money, anything could happen.

Marlboro Lover
Apr 27, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

I was about to say that the Opera devs seem to have their heads on straight and that another association with facebook would be unlikely to damage the main browser, but with facebook money, anything could happen.

Maybe history will repeat itself and we'll be faced with the following two options:

1) Use a "free" version enhanced with Facebook "features," or...
2) Pay to use an unbranded (non-Facebook) version of the browser. ($1-2 would be appropriate these days.)

I wouldn't mind paying for Opera, though, since it is such a good product. If FB bought it and ran with that scheme, while allowing Opera to continue producing a quality product, it would be win-win for everyone.

Mozilla used to be awesome, but Opera was awesome first.

Marlboro Lover fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 30, 2012

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
While I already paid for Opera once to get it ad free, I don't want to have to do it again because of FB.

Marlboro Lover
Apr 27, 2012

Riso posted:

While I already paid for Opera once to get it ad free, I don't want to have to do it again because of FB.

Hmmmm, it sounds like someone here is a closet communist.

Exorcizamus te, omnis immundus spiritus, omnis satanica potestas, omnis incursio infernalis adversarii, omnis legio, omnis congregatio et secta diabolica, in nomine et virtute Domini Nostri Jesu Christi, eradicare et effugare a Dei Ecclesia, ab animabus ad imaginem Dei conditis ac pretioso divini Agni sanguine redemptis!

:catholic:

Marlboro Lover fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Marlboro Lover posted:

Maybe history will repeat itself and we'll be faced with the following two options:

1) Use a "free" version enhanced with Facebook "features," or...
2) Pay to use an unbranded (non-Facebook) version of the browser. ($1-2 would be appropriate these days.)

Opera would then become the new mIRC.

I paid for mIRC. :eng99: