Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Corvettefisher posted:

Like with View compared to RDS/TS?

How many users?
What are the mostly doing? How much audio/video needed?
What is your existing setup?
Do you want thin clients, zero clients, or reusing old desktops?

I was just kind of asking in general. Do you need to have a certain number useres before it starts making sense? Does it work better/worse for certain applications?
How do the costs compare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

I was just kind of asking in general. Do you need to have a certain number useres before it starts making sense? Does it work better/worse for certain applications?
How do the costs compare?

Well, for small deploys Server 2008r2 has hyper-v and will doubleback as a nice all in one solution. Seeing how you probably have a server onsite you might just want to configure the RDS role and have it all in one. I would do this for <20-15 people, small office deploy, doing mostly word processing

For larger stuff things like transparent page sharing, Vmwares vSMP(vms with multicore), graphic and memory management comes into play and really helps you fine tune your resources. Audio/video is way better on View 5 which uses PCoIP vs RPD.

If you want something that is like desktop from anywhere and don't want to push down a whole lot I would go with RDS, for more complex larger scale deploys VMware is awesome, citrix Desktop 6 is good I hear but I don't have much exp with it. Cheapest solution would be RDS, you can always do a hybrid linking a machine running esxi and windows hosts to a RDS server and do a hybrid setup.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Speaking of VDI, has anyone used the Windows 8 implementation of RemoteFX? How does it compare to PCoIP?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Misogynist posted:

Speaking of VDI, has anyone used the Windows 8 implementation of RemoteFX? How does it compare to PCoIP?

Testing it this weekend actually, I will let you know how it goes

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Could someone provide guidance?

After so long running everything bridged for convenience, I think I want to run my VMs host only - this will allow me to replicate having multiple subnets and sites, and emulate an entire network. This will really take off once I integrate with GNS3 - I can geographically separate a RODC behind a few routers as though it was at another office, etc. It seems that host only is the way to go, because it allows me to create fully realized networks.

However, I can't reconcile that with needing internet access. I need WSUS to pull updates, I need general web access on all boxes, and I would like to be able to remote into my VMs from my home network.

Is there any way for all of these things to happen? What is the best way to set up a functional network which simulates a real enviornment, but still have internet access?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Set up a VM with two network cards. One on the isolated VM network, one bridged. Install PFSense or something, and make it the default gateway on the VM network.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Okay I am working on a Licensing explained thing for the OP, should have a good draft up soon

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011
How do you handle segregating traffic that all ends up on different VLANs in the same physical switch?

The obvious solution is a single trunk of 3 or 4 NICs and use port group VLAN tagging.

I guess I'm curious under what circumstances you'd use separate vSwitches?

The reason I ask is that we've just started overhauling our network and we are now VLAN'ing so right now I have a couple of vSwitches where the pNICs go into the same physical switch and I'm trying to work out if there are any good reasons to leave it that way.

Bitch Stewie fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 5, 2012

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Bitch Stewie posted:

I guess I'm curious under what circumstances you'd use separate vSwitches?
We use a seperate vswitch for management traffic. More or less a nice safety net in case someone fucks up and makes a bad change on the primary dvswitch.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011

adorai posted:

We use a seperate vswitch for management traffic. More or less a nice safety net in case someone fucks up and makes a bad change on the primary dvswitch.

Oh yeah sorry, I already have that on dumb access uplinks and that will not change as the "someone" who fucks up would be me :)

I'm asking purely about VM traffic destined for different VLANs.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Bitch Stewie posted:

I'm asking purely about VM traffic destined for different VLANs.
In our environment we just tag every VLAN going out of the switch into our VMware hosts, and assign them to a portgroup on the dvswitch. I think we currently have 6x 1Gbe uplinks per host, soon to be 2x 10Gbe uplinks.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Erwin posted:

Set up a VM with two network cards. One on the isolated VM network, one bridged. Install PFSense or something, and make it the default gateway on the VM network.
Ooooh that might just be it, thank you. I may have a follow up or two when I get a chance to build it.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Hi, I'm two replies in a row guy.

Erwin posted:

Oh my god drat was that a long four hours of clicking everything in sight only to find out the problem was simple.

I installed it, set the LAN IP as 11.11.11.1 (my others will be 22.22.22.1 and 33.33.33.1), and set the VMware host-only network to 11.11.11.0. Cue me spending 4 hours of the rootinest tootinest port forwarding firewall ruling SSH enabling entire program reinstalling I can ping the son of a bitch why can't I pass traffic or access the web interface :ssj: you'll ever see.

Until I finally realize that when I set the host-only network to .0, it had put the VMware gateway on .1, at which point I move the LAN IP to 11.11.11.2, and the network lights up like a christmas tree.

Urge to kill, fading, fading.

Good tip on the two NICs + pfsense though - thanks again for that.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
It's probably a good habit to always use real private ip's in a situation like that. Probably not going to hurt in a lab situation but you never know.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Ooooh that might just be it, thank you. I may have a follow up or two when I get a chance to build it.

I do remote access and routing on the windows AD box, seeing how I have to have an AD environment anyways. I does work a bit cleaner after DNS finally decides to update records.

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
Veeam decided to delete all images from the production backup this weekend after I dared to add a new VM to the backup. The NAS sits there mocking me with its 1.99TB free space :shepicide:

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Martytoof posted:

Crossposting from the IT Certification thread, but someone here works for VMware, right? This is pretty much the biggest pie in the sky request, but if you could, please put a bug in someone's ear that a poorly organized hard to decipher Google Docs (inaccurate) spreadsheet linked from vmware.com is a terrible drat way to get information about schools that teach a VCP curriculum out to prospective students :(

Pretty late to this party, but I work at VMware. I have no clue what group I would even need to talk to, but I can fish around for some help. At the very least, I know some people over on the web marketing team.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

wibble posted:

Veeam decided to delete all images from the production backup this weekend after I dared to add a new VM to the backup. The NAS sits there mocking me with its 1.99TB free space :shepicide:

Ugh, that blows, getting all those initial fulls with Veeam is a sloooooooow process.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

After it dumps all my data there's no way I'd trust it with it again.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
The hate against Veeam has come up in this thread recently and since we are on it again I have some new hate to throw its way as well. We recently had a problem where our nightly jobs would fail with some obscure error about CTP files. I sent in a support ticket and after two days of no response I posted my error to their community forums soliciting help only to have my post denied and being told I needed to read their 'rules' or whatever which apparently state you aren't support to post support items on their forums. Anyways, long story short: It took 2 WEEKS to get the problem solved. Thats 2 WEEKS of not knowing if my backups would be usable or not during failure.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
So what would you guys say the 'best overall' backup is?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Maneki Neko posted:

Ugh, that blows, getting all those initial fulls with Veeam is a sloooooooow process.

Not any slower than their incrementals! :iceburn:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Syano posted:

The hate against Veeam has come up in this thread recently and since we are on it again I have some new hate to throw its way as well. We recently had a problem where our nightly jobs would fail with some obscure error about CTP files. I sent in a support ticket and after two days of no response I posted my error to their community forums soliciting help only to have my post denied and being told I needed to read their 'rules' or whatever which apparently state you aren't support to post support items on their forums. Anyways, long story short: It took 2 WEEKS to get the problem solved. Thats 2 WEEKS of not knowing if my backups would be usable or not during failure.
I will tell you without any apprehension that this is par for the course. They're a completely marketing-driven company and care more about their PR than their customers.

Corvettefisher posted:

So what would you guys say the 'best overall' backup is?
We recently switched to PHD Virtual for our smallish environment (12 servers, ~180 VMs) and we've had remarkably few complaints so far. We abandoned Veeam as soon as the maintenance renewal came up at the end of our first year.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Syano posted:

You mean CBT files (as in, it couldn't use changed block tracking)? If that's the case, the backups were usable, they just took longer. I had the same issue, and I just had to install the latest patch to fix it. It did take them quite a while to get around to telling me about the patch, though.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Did they up the Fast Track course costs for 5.0? I'm looking at one right now and it's $5500 :psyduck: I thought it was more in the $3500 range?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Mierdaan posted:

Did they up the Fast Track course costs for 5.0? I'm looking at one right now and it's $5500 :psyduck: I thought it was more in the $3500 range?

Probably because it is new.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Mierdaan posted:

Fast Track is an accelerated, extended-length course. The Install, Configure, Manage course is the one that typically runs closer to $3k.

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
Ugh, vpxa has been such a bitch at work lately. I have to clear our all kinds of retarded snapshots and restart management so that it can reconnect once in a while. I'm sure it has to do with our SAN (Nimble) but I'm not sure exactly why since it only happens occasionally.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Kenshirou posted:

Ugh, vpxa has been such a bitch at work lately. I have to clear our all kinds of retarded snapshots and restart management so that it can reconnect once in a while. I'm sure it has to do with our SAN (Nimble) but I'm not sure exactly why since it only happens occasionally.
If vpxa ever hangs, it's usually because it's blocking on some kind of device discovery, typically with your storage. Check your logs on the ESXi host and make sure you're not seeing any weird hangs or device resets.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Erwin posted:

You mean CBT files (as in, it couldn't use changed block tracking)? If that's the case, the backups were usable, they just took longer. I had the same issue, and I just had to install the latest patch to fix it. It did take them quite a while to get around to telling me about the patch, though.
YEP! CBT not CTP. I feel a bit better knowing I was ok. Still super annoying to have a tech take 2 weeks to tell me about a patch.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Misogynist posted:

Fast Track is an accelerated, extended-length course. The Install, Configure, Manage course is the one that typically runs closer to $3k.

That's probably what I was thinking of, thanks.

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick

Misogynist posted:

If vpxa ever hangs, it's usually because it's blocking on some kind of device discovery, typically with your storage. Check your logs on the ESXi host and make sure you're not seeing any weird hangs or device resets.

Seems like it was similar to last time, where all of the VMs on a host were running on snapshots/_________00001 (etc).vmdk files, and adding/deleting snapshots THEN restarting services seemed to fix it. I have no idea why but SQL Server 2008 had like 200 .vmdk files, just like the last time I had this issue. I'm just going to assume there's something up with the vCenter synchronization, but it's strange that only the ones on that VM had the issue in the first place. The only other thing I can think of is if that host had a network connection problem and didn't receive a heartbeat.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Anyone have any experience with Proxmox? I am getting some VMs tomorrow for testing with and I don't know what format they will be in. But they were built and used in Proxmox. I want to know if I can use them in VMware?

Not really interested in setting up a server with Proxmox just to test, but all I can find online is information about going from VMware -> Proxmox.

My boss wants to look at Proxmox vs ESXI for hosing some web servers, (we are in a VMware environment), since our partners in Europe are using it. I'm not very thrilled with the idea of using another platform. Especially when they are based in Austria with no real US support other than free community support on their forums.

Anyone have any experience or feed back with it?

http://www.proxmox.com/

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Kageneko posted:

Anyone have any experience with Proxmox? I am getting some VMs tomorrow for testing with and I don't know what format they will be in. But they were built and used in Proxmox. I want to know if I can use them in VMware?
KVM VMs should go over without too much trouble, but OpenVZ "VMs" that don't have a kernel will be a headache to port over to a real hypervisor.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
i have a qos question regarding UCS. We have 6x UCS rack servers each with 2x 10Gbe nics connected to seperate Nexus 5548 switches. We plan to carve these links up into vNICs and apply QOS to them. My plan is to have each port carved into 1x management, 1x vmkernel for NFS traffic, 1x VM traffic, and 1x vMotion. I was planning to give highest priority to NFS, second to VM, third to vMotion, and last to management. Does this seem reasonable?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

adorai posted:

i have a qos question regarding UCS. We have 6x UCS rack servers each with 2x 10Gbe nics connected to seperate Nexus 5548 switches. We plan to carve these links up into vNICs and apply QOS to them. My plan is to have each port carved into 1x management, 1x vmkernel for NFS traffic, 1x VM traffic, and 1x vMotion. I was planning to give highest priority to NFS, second to VM, third to vMotion, and last to management. Does this seem reasonable?
I'd prioritize management over everything besides storage. I'd hate to have all of my VM administration fail because some VM got compromised and started spewing out UDP traffic at the rate of msblast.exe.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Got an interesting issue with my roommate's box and hope someone can help resolve it.

He set up ESXi on a brand new computer with 4 hyper-threaded cores and 32 GB of RAM and a couple TB of storage. Everything seems to work fine except for one little thing - when I decided to try to install Windows Server 2008 R2 it causes the whole thing to lock up and he has to power-cycle the box. I've locked his machine up three times yesterday and twice today, and each time all I did was try to install Windows Server 2008 R2 on a brand new VM.

He's got a couple Linux VM's running that are completely stable, and I did manage to install a single Server 2008 R2 VM (after killing the ESXi box a couple more times), but my roommate has forbidden me from trying to install a second VM until we figure out what's going on.

I've tried looking for some possible reasons, but nothing seems to be showing up on Google. One possible suggestion is that the SCSI controller might be an issue, which I have set to LSI Logic SAS on the working VM. I set the second VM to that for the initial install (and killed the ESXi box) before changing it to Paravirtual (and killing the ESXi box) on my second attempt - that's when my roommate forbade me from going any further.

Sort of at a standstill, which sucks because I had a nice stable environment going using Oracle's VirtualBox, but I wanted to use a VM environment with far more real-world exposure like VMWare.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
What verison of ESXi
Specs of whitebox(storage mainly)
VT/VT-D or AMD-IOMMU enabled in the bios
At time of instal how many other machines does he have what is provisioned on the machines

His HW might not be fully supported and when stressed to X degree crashes the machine, He might want to try running ESXi in a VM then install Windows or whatnot ontop of it

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 8, 2012

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Got an interesting issue with my roommate's box and hope someone can help resolve it.

I tried doing this on a P55 motherboard and it 'worked' but, it was in compatibility mode and my IO performance was abysmal even with an HCL approved LSI RAID card. Some boards may 'work' but only in the loosest of terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Daylen Drazzi posted:

He's got a couple Linux VM's running that are completely stable, and I did manage to install a single Server 2008 R2 VM (after killing the ESXi box a couple more times), but my roommate has forbidden me from trying to install a second VM until we figure out what's going on.

I've tried looking for some possible reasons, but nothing seems to be showing up on Google. One possible suggestion is that the SCSI controller might be an issue, which I have set to LSI Logic SAS on the working VM. I set the second VM to that for the initial install (and killed the ESXi box) before changing it to Paravirtual (and killing the ESXi box) on my second attempt - that's when my roommate forbade me from going any further.

Sort of at a standstill, which sucks because I had a nice stable environment going using Oracle's VirtualBox, but I wanted to use a VM environment with far more real-world exposure like VMWare.

Change the SCSI controller, picking the wrong one is an easy way to purple-screen the box.

Do you have an actual SCSI card in that server or no?