Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sanjuro42
Jul 23, 2006

"I never could get the hang of Thursdays."

DiscoJ posted:

I'll take pretty much any excuse to post this again:

Which episode is this from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I think it was the Koei focus episode before they did full game challenges.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

sanjuro42 posted:

Which episode is this from?

It's episode "M2 Angelique Trois" in the OP.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I never got around to seeing the SOS episode. Now I'm really regretting it. :(

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Hirayuki posted:

It was at one point uploaded to the internet. Nothing is ever deleted from the internet.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

Hirayuki posted:

Psst. It's up on Youtube if you look for it.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011
That, and it's gonna be on the DVD.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

DiscoJ posted:

I'll take pretty much any excuse to post this again:

I'm actually glad Z-G did not translate this one. I guess a more equivalent term would be something like 'wake up and smell the coffee'...

Splash Damage
May 23, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What's the deal with that one dude who laughs super hard at everything Arino says?

taopriest
Oct 25, 2011

"Games Are Like Baths, Without Them, We Would Get Sick" Igarashi Koji

His scene with this little girl was funny.

Drzava
Feb 13, 2012

Splash Damage posted:

What's the deal with that one dude who laughs super hard at everything Arino says?

No idea but I love his laugh.

Cutriss
Feb 18, 2011

This space intentionally left blank.
The Quintet discussion reminds me that I need to play The Granstream Saga sometime. My in-laws got it for me once upon a time just picking up some random used games from a game-trading store.

It also made me realize that I think it'd be pretty funny to watch Arino play Drakkhen. I know there's a Japanese version of it, but all the same I think it'd be even better if they played the English version and had someone attempt to translate it back, just because of how zany the writing in that game is. It would emulate that "WTF does that even mean?!" feeling I got from playing (and finishing) it.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I get jealous every time I watch Arino receive the Birthday Slime, that lucky bastard.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Splash Damage posted:

I think we all have a family member like that.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON

Splash Damage posted:

He's awesome. That's what his deal is.

No seriously, that guy makes everything seem even funnier. Besides, I prefer that to most shows where you completely forget the crew is even there.

On a side note of favorite Arino moments, was just re-watching the Bomberman special and it really cracks me up when he gives Toujima such a hard time over the "Goddessu desu" thing. The way those two interact is just so amusing.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Thanks for the SOS tips. After watching that episode and Clock Tower, I think I enjoy (among other aspects of GCCX) watching Arino boss around/plead with characters he may not directly control. This includes Pac Man 2 and even Lemmings, another two episodes I quite liked. I really can't wait for the DVD.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I was looking for a picture of Arino's wife, and all I could find were screenshots showcasing her cleavage. Oh, Internet.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

zari-gani posted:

I was looking for a picture of Arino's wife, and all I could find were screenshots showcasing her cleavage. Oh, Internet.

I like seeing a shot of Aho Aho Man coming up in the slideshow when you click on a pic of Arino's wife. Matsumoto is everywhere.

ZephroDyne
Feb 14, 2007

(*ΦωΦ) <I am nekocat

taopriest posted:

His scene with this little girl was funny.

Which ep was this from again? I don't remember watching it.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

It's from the Northern Trip travelogue. Part 8, I believe. About 5 minutes into the 8-9 video.

ZephroDyne
Feb 14, 2007

(*ΦωΦ) <I am nekocat
Ah, thanks.

EDEdDNEdDYFaN
Mar 11, 2009
I'm going to second (third?) all the comments in praise of the crew's presence in the show. I actually laugh more when that guy laughs!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

It's us, we're the guy laughing really loudly in the background at every joke!

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I still think it's Abe. He's secretly very jovial and out-going, but we never get to see it unless he's visiting Nakayama at home, so viewers wouldn't suspect him.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

re: laughing guy, I can't remember where but I thought I read somewhere that it's usually Director Fujimoto who laughs a lot in the background. He's been with the show since the beginning but hates being on camera so he's usually not on the show unless Producer Kan forces him...

You can see him laughing along with Arino and Abe in this short "2011 retrospective and new years" video. He definitely sounds like the culprit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1w937s2SVw

In this case, the one laughing in the background is Inoue.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 8, 2012

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Question: Are all the staff members on the show referred to by their last names? I'm pretty sure Arino is a given name, but are Abe and Toujima and Kan all, like, family names?

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Arino's first name is Shinya. I think everyone goes by family name unless they have a nickname like Tani.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Corridor posted:

Question: Are all the staff members on the show referred to by their last names? I'm pretty sure Arino is a given name, but are Abe and Toujima and Kan all, like, family names?

That's a huge no-no over there. You never, ever refer to your superiors(by seniority or rank) by their given names in Japan. Given names can be said but it usually requires knowing the person for a long time and not doing it in a public or formal manner so you're never going to see that stuff happen on TV.

e: I think being senior to someone gives you some leeway to say their given name but I'm not clear when this would be done(perhaps to scold someone, like when your parents might say your full name to you when they're upset?).

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 8, 2012

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Crotch Bat posted:

That's a huge no-no over there. You never, ever refer to your superiors(by seniority or rank) by their given names in Japan. Given names can be said but it usually requires knowing the person for a long time and not doing it in a public or formal manner so you're never going to see that stuff happen on TV.

e: I think being senior to someone gives you some leeway to say their given name but I'm not clear when this would be done(perhaps to scold someone, like when your parents might say your full name to you when they're upset?).

It's not nearly that formal in every case. Some people are known by their given names or nicknames, even by kouhai ('inferiors' I guess, though that sounds weird in English). Especially on a comedy TV show it wouldn't be surprising to see someone called something abnormal. In a strict business or office environment it would be another story, but far from 'never seeing that stuff on TV', you're far more likely to see breakdown of traditional vertical hierarchy in the media.

Edit: For example, there was one person who was my superior on a sports team at school who everyone called "okawari-san" because he was fat ('okawari' means 'refill'). So kouhai used the honorific 'san' but attached it to a nickname.

Edit: In this case though, I think they're all being referred to by their family names.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 8, 2012

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

LimburgLimbo posted:

It's not nearly that formal a lot of the time. Some people are known by their given names or nicknames, even by kouhai ('inferiors' I guess, though that sounds weird in English). Especially on a comedy TV show it wouldn't be surprising to see someone called something abnormal.

That makes sense, I just don't see/hear it a lot from stuff I've watched and it always seems like it's just considered more of a sure bet not to be rude or offend if you stick to more formal conversation. The times it's usually pointed out tend to be in a negative fashion(although when that happens it's usually to make a joke at the lapse in judgement). I guess it would have to be something more agreed upon by both sides though, right?

e: that nickname. Mr. Refill :lol:

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 8, 2012

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I just wanna tell everyone about how cool Dragons are. Not just any kind of dragons, but robot dragons! Theyre like, two super awesome things combined.

Ya know, in case you guys were wondering.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Gutcruncher posted:

I feel like this is a setup.
I will not be dragged into discussing robot dragons with you :colbert:

God I love robot dragons. When I was six or seven I finally got to Wily stage 1 in Mega Man 2 for the first time, and then this bitch shows up and wrecks my footing chasing me down. Never gonna forget that thrill. I wanna do this to my wall but I don't think the apartment complex will like it when I move out.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

I just wanna tell everyone about how cool Dragons are. Not just any kind of dragons, but robot dragons! Theyre like, two super awesome things combined.

I'm just going to say this now: I hope you guys like text heavy games. The next three releases are all going to be that way.

(Honestly, zari-gani, it never occurred to me just how much they were saying in that video.)

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Know thine enemy, words comedian Shinya Arino takes to heart, as he steps into the mind of one of his greatest enemies, the dreaded Dragon.

From translator Zari-gani and timers Miscellaneous14 and Gutcruncher comes the cinematic event of the summer. Wagan Land. Sometimes, revenge is best served hot

*Explosion*

Download torrent

(1 file; 511.62 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct:
http://depositfiles.com/files/xdlok2ldm

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 9, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

I'm just going to say this now: I hope you guys like text heavy games. The next three releases are all going to be that way.

Those are my favorite kind. :haw:

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Bocc Kob posted:

Those are my favorite kind. :haw:

Text heavy episodes make me so happy. All the work the timers and translators do is so appreciated, you guys are like heroes to us retro game nerds.

If any of you are ever in San Diego I will buy you several beers :cheers:

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Nice. Looking forward to this. And as always, good work keeping the episodes coming.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Gutcruncher posted:

Download torrent

Thanks for a new episode :dance:

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
All the female AD Takahashi episodes have finally been subbed. I have been waiting for Wagan Land. I can't wait to see the part where AD Takahashi draws a not so good dinosaur. Arino and the staff enjoy her doodles.

I hope one of the text heavy episodes coming up is one of the 2 remaining quiz episodes.

Could someone explain the translation for Sacho. The Bandai Namco Sacho was translated as CEO, but the Indies Zero Sacho was translated as President? Kacho is translated as Section Chief. What does Sacho translate to?

joek0 fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C