Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
How does anyone justify using PHP for a new project?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

pokeyman posted:

If you have 5 guys that only know PHP, it's pretty much a no-brainer.

I've been at companies where they started in one language, then switched to a different language that no one on the team was familiar with. It was a mess.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Ithaqua posted:

Just like them.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

pokeyman posted:

It's not like anyone is going to get fired for using it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

pokeyman posted:

There are people who still think it's a great language.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Real world example: Giant Bomb and Comic Vine were sold to CBS Interactive, but Distillery (their Django based CMS/wiki) was sold to Berman Braun, so they have to rewrite the sites from scratch. And they have to use PHP, because CBSi is a PHP shop.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 5, 2012

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

pokeyman posted:

I'm still a student, but PHP gets used for all the web stuff in group projects cos it's what people get taught and it's what people tend to know. Sure, some people might know Python as well, but they still have to learn a funny complicated framework and gently caress there's no time this is due in like a day just use PHP.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

When starting a project you also might have to deal with:

* Business decisions and policy
* Outsourcing development to idiots
* Legacy code

And many, many, many more reasons.

That said, if you do PHP right, most of the security issues do not apply to your project. Key phrases being "doing it right" and "most".

I personally start every project in Python, but that's just because I love it so much and know it well enough. All hosting companies hate me for it, though. Do note that Python also had the hash-collision vulnerability, like PHP.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Scaramouche posted:

Are you talking about CGI 'classic'? Out of process? Single threaded?
While the overhead of CGI is considerable, you can at least say that it lets the operating system do its job, namely resource allocation and task scheduling, rather than creating an inner platform to do those things.

The bug at issue here is clearly a PHP bug, not a CGI one.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 5, 2012

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

While the overhead of CGI is considerable

Assuming you're using an interpreted language.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Zombywuf posted:

Assuming you're using an interpreted language.

It's also large if you use C.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ithaqua posted:

If you have five guys that only know PHP you seriously need to rethink your hiring practices because you are apparently hiring high school freshmen or something.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

shrughes posted:

It's also large if you use C.

Less than a single garbage collection sweep.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Zombywuf posted:

Less than a single garbage collection sweep.

HTTP servers that do everything in-process for the sake of performance are a Thing That Exists, you know.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I think it's been made clear that the issue re: CGI is not whether such things exist, but whether they introduce problems of their own. :spergin:

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

shrughes posted:

HTTP servers that do everything in-process for the sake of performance are a Thing That Exists, you know.

Yup, and how many people then think that callback driven, low latency architecture based web servers in a dynamic garbage collected language are a good idea?

If you really need that kind of performance then go ahead, but most people don't. Hell, most don't even know how to actually make use of the performance in-process servers give them.

p.s. you do know that the overhead of fork+exec is almost nil these days right?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Zombywuf posted:

Yup, and how many people then think that callback driven, low latency architecture based web servers in a dynamic garbage collected language are a good idea?

"Low latency" is not the only use case, you also have overall CPU overhead, also (rarely important nowadays) overall memory usage.

Zombywuf posted:

p.s. you do know that the overhead of fork+exec is almost nil these days right?

It's not. You are a crazy person (if you think you are refuting the fact that HTTP servers that do everything in process for the sake of performance is a Thing That Exists).

Or are you making some vacuous claim like that it's not enough overhead for certain applications where exec is fast enough? Even then that's still wrong, because exec is not the only source of overhead.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

shrughes posted:

"Low latency" is not the only use case, you also have overall CPU overhead, also (rarely important nowadays) overall memory usage.
Overall CPU overhead, this is something that dynamic languages excel at minimising is it? Also, high memory usage means slow code, if we're in the realms where fork and exec is too slow for your app.

quote:

Or are you making some vacuous claim like that it's not enough overhead for certain applications where exec is fast enough? Even then that's still wrong, because exec is not the only source of overhead.

I'm saying the overwhelming majority of applications would benefit by several orders of magnitude by having fast code (usually in the db) over having in process http handlers.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Zombywuf posted:

Overall CPU overhead, this is something that dynamic languages excel at minimising is it? Also, high memory usage means slow code, if we're in the realms where fork and exec is too slow for your app.

I'm saying the overwhelming majority of applications would benefit by several orders of magnitude by having fast code (usually in the db) over having in process http handlers.

So.. you are not contradicting anything I'm saying?

Why are you posting?

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

shrughes posted:

Why are you posting?

Because node.js is the real horror.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Zombywuf posted:

I don't know what windmill you're tilting at, but shrughes is pointing out that CGI is inappropriate for many *many* uses because the overhead of fork/exec is absolutely massive compared to in-process dispatch.

node.js has nothing to do with this conversation.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

code:
int main() {
  return 0;
}
code:
buntu~$ gcc -O2 null.c -o null
ubuntu~$ time ./null 

real    0m0.004s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.000s
Really? That 4ms (most of which I suspect is taken up by bash) matters to you so much when you're shoving HTTP down a network connection. Which high frequency trading platform are you working on?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Can we please make a rule that whoever is talking about performance being fast/slow needs data numbers? We should be scientists, justifying our hypotheses by observations here. Just throwing out words without weight behind them is only of use to his fellow charlatans.

EDIT: didn't see your post Zombywuf, carry on

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
http://www.reddit.com/r/perl6/comments/r44do/is_perl6_code_unreadable/

quote:

I was talking about Perl 6 on IRC the other day and I sent the following line of code:
for ([1], {[@^x, 0 Z+ 0, @^x]} ... *)[^10] {.say}
I was answered that this was totally unreadable. Is it just because the person who answered was not a Perl 6 programmer?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

shrughes posted:

Why are you posting?

Not everyone needs to savagely optimize their web server, given a significant chunk of web applications are written in interpreted languages :3:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

tef posted:

Not everyone needs to savagely optimize their web server, given a significant chunk of web applications are written in interpreted languages :3:

Or compiled languages that recompile on every page load.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I knew before I clicked that reddit link that someone would make a comparison to APL.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"
I wrote a quick benchmark which compares the cost of calling an empty function ("null"), forking a child which immediately exits ("fork"), and forking then execing /bin/true ("fork-exec"). Here's the numbers when running on my desktop (Ubuntu 11.10, 64-bit, Intel i7-2600k):

code:
benchmarking null
mean: 6.096891 ns
std dev: 111.3083 ps

benchmarking fork
mean: 455.7429 us
std dev: 22.25832 us

benchmarking fork-exec
mean: 872.8925 us
std dev: 30.74968 us
So just a fork takes 0.46±0.022 milliseconds, and full fork/exec takes 0.87±0.03 millseconds.

In other words, a server using CGI must burn nearly a full millisecond of time just to enter the request handler.

Also, once you're in your handler, you'll have to spend several more milliseconds establishing database/rpc connections, loading/parsing templates, and generally doing setup work that a single-process server only needs to do once.

All together, it might take more than 5ms from the time when the request hits your server to when you can return even the most basic response.

Assuming you care at all about performance, then this is obviously unacceptable.

For any stats geeks in the audience, here's the full benchmark output:

code:
$ ./dist/build/bench-fork/bench-fork
warming up
estimating clock resolution...
mean is 1.185011 us (640001 iterations)
found 101363 outliers among 639999 samples (15.8%)
  7 (1.1e-3%) low severe
  101356 (15.8%) high severe
estimating cost of a clock call...
mean is 32.69504 ns (11 iterations)

benchmarking null
mean: 6.096891 ns, lb 6.076250 ns, ub 6.119853 ns, ci 0.950
std dev: 111.3083 ps, lb 97.30318 ps, ub 130.7026 ps, ci 0.950
found 4 outliers among 100 samples (4.0%)
  4 (4.0%) high mild
variance introduced by outliers: 11.325%
variance is moderately inflated by outliers

benchmarking fork
mean: 455.7429 us, lb 452.0919 us, ub 461.0747 us, ci 0.950
std dev: 22.25832 us, lb 16.77906 us, ub 33.69649 us, ci 0.950
found 8 outliers among 100 samples (8.0%)
  6 (6.0%) high mild
  2 (2.0%) high severe
variance introduced by outliers: 47.427%

benchmarking fork-exec
mean: 872.8925 us, lb 867.5793 us, ub 879.6874 us, ci 0.950
std dev: 30.74968 us, lb 24.22127 us, ub 40.86187 us, ci 0.950
found 6 outliers among 100 samples (6.0%)
  3 (3.0%) high mild
  3 (3.0%) high severe
variance introduced by outliers: 31.629%

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Janin posted:

Assuming you care at all about performance, then this is obviously unacceptable.

Not as much as you do, obviously.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Zombywuf posted:

Really? That 4ms (most of which I suspect is taken up by bash) matters to you so much when you're shoving HTTP down a network connection. Which high frequency trading platform are you working on?

There are many different answers to this question.

One answer is that I don't write high frequency trading platforms that communicate with HTTP requests(??), I work on a database engine which I can neither confirm nor deny has an HTTP API.

Another answer is that in the past I've implemented an HTTP proxy for modifying web content coming into a corporate network, and there it's not 1 or 2ms latency that's a concern, it's total CPU usage. There's a difference between a customer having to plop 1 box to run your product versus 10 boxes, or 4 versus 40. The initial fork+exec is not the only source of slowness that would be introduced there.

Another answer is that if you have a web service, people might need to make a whole bunch of requests one after another (because your API doesn't support arbitrary SQL, or sending arbitrary code to run sandboxed server-side). A sad example of this is MAPI as used by certain proprietary C# MAPI libraries. Low latency is extremely important in situations like that. It's the only important measure of performance. A system that uses 0.1 core-milliseconds and 10 ms of wall-clock time for a request is usually much worse than one that uses 3 core-milliseconds and 5 ms of wall-clock time.

For applications like these, not context switching is pretty important. In addition to fork+exec delays, there's the fact that now you've got a scheduler romping around deciding when things get to run, and the cost of piping data back (which is at its theoretical best a tricky and fragile game of zero-copy networking).

tef posted:

Not as much as you do, obviously.

Blah blah blah tef you're not saying anything. Nobody is claiming that you do any real programming.

Edit: real programming

shrughes fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 6, 2012

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

It's me, I'm the guy for whom the 4ms matters so much when he's shoving HTTP down a network connection.

I'm actually working on a system that does HTTP requests and needs to answer as fast as possible, doing real time bidding for online advertisement. There, HTTP is kind of a standard given we serve ads and do cookie-matching over HTTP anyway (although we have keep-alive connections to avoid auctions setting up connections each time).

Our average serving time is below 5ms, worst times averaging 9-10ms, and we can usually afford to get up to 35ms. Nonetheless, taking 3-5ms more on each request is a performance hit of ~30% to ~100%. Moreover, because we're receiving a constant stream of such requests, reducing our performance by 30% in terms of time means we will have fewer resources available at any single point in time to handle everything at once, which likely means more hardware for the same job.

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 6, 2012

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Janin posted:

Also, once you're in your handler, you'll have to spend several more milliseconds establishing database/rpc connections, loading/parsing templates, and generally doing setup work that a single-process server only needs to do once.
This. CGI performance is fine I guess if 1) you write your web apps in C and 2) they don't actually do anything. The difference in overhead between opening and reusing (or pooling) database connections is particularly obvious.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
This just in: terrible performance scales for trivial use cases.

I love this. Yes, the problem people have with this code must be that they dislike concise and expressive notations.

Ugh, I'm going to treat this as an exercise in language design. Simple ways to improve the legibility:
  • It's really silly to burn unique syntax on doing a prefix slice of an array. foo[^10] is only one character shorter than foo[0..10] (maybe 0..9 for consistency?), but the latter is immediately legible to anyone familiar with the idea of a slice. You're obviously going to have a range slice anyway; don't add something else sui generis just for the sake of a character or two. At the very least, use ..10.
  • No way do people zip with binary operators so often that Z+ is actually worthwhile. If you're really gung-ho about zip being a binary operator, at least spell it zip(+), which also extends to non-operator combining functions.
  • Building lists by separating components with commas has always been dumb; it's not self-describing at all. It's particularly nasty in this example because I expect comma to have the lowest possible precedence, so I want to interpret [@^x, 0 Z+ 0, @^x] as [@^x, (0 Z+ 0), @^x]. Make this [@^x, 0] Z+ [0, @^x].
  • So, @^x is apparently a "placeholder argument", which is a way of referring to an otherwise-anonymous argument; the name is arbitrary, and they get filled in the order they're encountered in the closure. This is three bad ideas in one. First, this is perl, so my first interpretation is that @^x is some bullshit operation on the variable named x. Second, if I'm using an actual variable name, I'm going to expect it to have been introduced somewhere in my lexical context, so not only is the name not adding value (if I wanted to name it, I could easily use one of the other closure syntaxes), it's actively confusing. Third, the code order dependency is awkward and brittle. Using numeric names (like $0) would be fine, if you can manage to avoid using those for other things, which you really really should.
  • I can't think of a good notation that suggests "build an infinite list by repeatedly applying a function". This syntax sure doesn't. I can, however, think of some good function names for it; Haskell calls it iterate.

tl;dr: In a better-designed language, this would be:
code:
for iterate([1], {[@0, 0] zip(+) [0, @0]})[0..10] { .say }
and while it's still pretty terse, and you still need to know some perlisms to fully get it, it is no longer total punctuation soup.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.
The full paste is too long (~200 lines) but I was going through my groupmate's contribution to our senior project, and have been constantly banging my head on the desk reading it.

code:
Byte[] latitude = new Byte[8];

(snip)

latitude[0] = pack[4 + (32 * i)];
latitude[1] = pack[5 + (32 * i)];
latitude[2] = pack[6 + (32 * i)];
latitude[3] = pack[7 + (32 * i)];
latitude[4] = pack[8 + (32 * i)];
latitude[5] = pack[9 + (32 * i)];
latitude[6] = pack[10 + (32 * i)];
latitude[7] = pack[11 + (32 * i)];

(snip for 4 other variables)

lat = BitConverter.ToDouble(latitude, 0);
These blocks occur twice in a switch statement from adjacent cases where its identical. The full paste is: http://pastebin.com/ArbTafTP

For added fun: the files themselves are duplicated completely for two different projects in the solution. Or rather, they should be the same files, but comparing diffs seems to imply that one was updated when the other wasn't. I suppose its almost not fair mocking students, but the person who wrote this is a CS senior.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rjmccall posted:

I love this. Yes, the problem people have with this code must be that they dislike concise and expressive notations.

Have you considered learning GolfScript, or APL (and derivatives)?

quote:

tl;dr: In a better-designed language, this would be:

a better designed language wouldn't have the use case of 'all project euler problems should be one-liners'

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

tef posted:

a better designed language wouldn't have the use case of 'all project euler problems should be one-liners'

If it were a better-designed language, it wouldn't be Perl.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

MononcQc posted:

It's me, I'm the guy for whom the 4ms matters so much when he's shoving HTTP down a network connection.

:words: about an advertising platform

Thus demonstrating that the only reason to not use CGI is if you are on the side of evil.

Janin posted:

In other words, a server using CGI must burn nearly a full millisecond of time just to enter the request handler.

Then it's probably best not to enter the CGI handler at all. Most web apps could most benefit from better design that revolved around cache performance.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Zombywuf posted:

Thus demonstrating that the only reason to not use CGI is if you are on the side of evil.
Hey, don't associate all of evil with advertising. They're one small part of it that nobody likes. Plenty of other non-marketing evil things need very low response times.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Zombywuf posted:

yes, much better to have slower ads all the time, people love slow ads. Also, what a poo poo argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

MononcQc posted:

yes, much better to have slower ads all the time, people love slow ads. Also, what a poo poo argument.

1) Block ads, problem solved
2) I'm saying you shouldn't use CGI in that very specific (evil) case.