Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
Wiggles, I really wish you would write a book about your life. One that also has recipes in it. Doesn't have to be deeply intimate or anything, just all the cool stuff you seem to have done.

Would buy that book for myself and for everyone I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Happy birthday, how is Man Pies doing?
I was wondering the same thing less than an hour ago. "Where's magnetic? How is Man Pies doing?"

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Happy Abobo posted:

Yeah, seriously. Is there any way to give this to the awesome Happy?

You are the awesome Happy!

Congratulations on becomming a mod :)

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I have spent a portion of my Sunday making purées to freeze for when Sam is weaning.

Trip report: Parsnip purée is surprisingly delicious. Plum purée is very hard work and wasn't really worth the effort. But goes very well with gin.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

I have spent a portion of my Sunday making purées to freeze for when Sam is weaning.

Trip report: Parsnip purée is surprisingly delicious. Plum purée is very hard work and wasn't really worth the effort. But goes very well with gin.
We aren't going for the purée route much; rather, trying to give him pieces of food (ideally that we are eating) that he can munch on himself. Broccoli is a big hit, as is avo and, well, pretty much everything, apart from carrots. I suspect that when we need to feed him to actually sustain him (as opposed to getting him into tastes and textures) we will end up pureeing too.

Plum purée plus gin sounds bloody amazing.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That's pretty much what we're going to be doing, too. He still doesn't seem to be too interested in food yet, but we sit him at the table with us when we eat, so hopefully he'll start showing a bit more interest soon.

Edit: And if he doesn't like the purées, I'm sure I can find a use for them... Parsnip purée with chilli-infused vodka?

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 6, 2012

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Yesterday I had a tacos and margaritas party. Only half the people showed up so I had to eat SO MANY TACOS and drink SO MANY MARGARITAS all by myself boo hoo.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Drink and Fight posted:

Yesterday I had a tacos and margaritas party. Only half the people showed up so I had to eat SO MANY TACOS and drink SO MANY MARGARITAS all by myself boo hoo.
You don't have any friends.

Scientastic, I'm all for experimentation but you go too far, friend. Feeding your babby when he wants food is surprisingly enjoyable.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Scientastic posted:

That's pretty much what we're going to be doing, too. He still doesn't seem to be too interested in food yet, but we sit him at the table with us when we eat, so hopefully he'll start showing a bit more interest soon.

Edit: And if he doesn't like the purées, I'm sure I can find a use for them... Parsnip purée with chilli-infused vodka?

Parsnip purée rules. If babby doesn't think so, just adult it up with some butter and salt and pepper and eat that poo poo with a pork chop.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
I just found out Costco carries a Kirkland brand parchment paper which is awesome. I use a lot and it's like $2-3 for 30 squarefeet at the grocery store, just $6 for 205 squarefeet at Costco. :toot: I love Costco, it's so great.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Seriously, in addition to being cheap, most of the stuff they sell is great quality. Macallan 18 year scotch for $75, prime grade New York steaks for $13/lb, huge bags of frozen veggies with nice big pieces for $6. It's amazing what they get sometimes.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 6, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Seriously, in addition to being cheap, most of the stuff they sell is great quality. Macallan 18 year scotch for $75, prime grade New York steaks for $13/lb, huge bags of frozen veggies with nice big pieces for $6. It's amazing what they get sometimes.

They sell Parm-Reg at mine for $11/lb. They also carry Roquefort, Dubliner, Saint Andre, and some other great cheeses. I rather like their "Garofalo" brand dried pastas and thought that maybe I was just weird because I hadn't seen it any where else, until I went to Eataly and saw they had an entire aisle dedicated to the stuff. Also a fan of their price for Coastal Range organic chicken. Not the happiest chickens in the world but significantly better than Foster Farms or Sanderson or whatever.

Oh yeah and their smoked salmon is pretty alright, too.

And that friggin jalapeno artichoke dip, unf.

And the chocolate covered pomegranate things.

And Penn tennis balls, toilet paper, and paper towels.

Did I mention the gas? Yeah the gas.

Only thing that sucks is that they stopped carrying bulk packs of Fuji Superia, at least they still have great prices for prints that I can order online and pick up in an hour.

ok, enough on the costcolove.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Wiggles in 3...2...1...

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Does wiggles hate Costco or something? Even Ripert got over his hatred of the place.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

Does wiggles hate Costco or something? Even Ripert got over his hatred of the place.

There is no way you're not trolling. :|

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Rurutia posted:

There is no way you're not trolling. :|

I wasn't. I've not seen wigglesplosion about Costco. I believe it though. It's very wiggles-like to hate convenient things.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
If you want to shop at large warehouse stores that ruin the environment with their unnecessarily long supply chains, that destroy local businesses by forcing them into economies of scale in which they cannot compete, that completely wreck local cultures and neighborliness by enforcing a bland similarity and corporate culture on communities, that extinguish the unique and wonderful local and regional products and preferences in the name of conveniently marketable homogenization, and that on top of all that treat you like a thief and criminal every time you shop at their store, then fine, go for it. You probably vote republican, too.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If you want to shop at large warehouse stores that ruin the environment with their unnecessarily long supply chains, that destroy local businesses by forcing them into economies of scale in which they cannot compete, that completely wreck local cultures and neighborliness by enforcing a bland similarity and corporate culture on communities, that extinguish the unique and wonderful local and regional products and preferences in the name of conveniently marketable homogenization, and that on top of all that treat you like a thief and criminal every time you shop at their store, then fine, go for it. You probably vote republican, too.

My overpriced, hippie, New England Liberal Arts education loves you, Mr. Wiggles. :allears:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I don't know, I see Mexicans buying pork for carnitas, African Americans buying ribs for church functions, college kids exploring the wonders of affordable alcohol, and Asians, well, being Asian in their quest to buy all of the cheap things. I see local shelters and kitchens shopping there to feed their community. A lot of the products at my costco are not available at my parent's costco (in SF) or at the ones in LA proper (1 hr away).

If you see bland similarity at costco, you are bland and unimaginative.

And criminal, lol, what? Those checks are more for the cashier errors than the thieves.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
They're shopping there because the good local butchers and liquor stores and general goods sellers have been put out of business by places like Costco and walmart et. al., the sort of establishment which you, in finest Stockholm syndrome style, are defending (while they watch you and check your receipt to make sure you haven't stolen anything because, hey, you can't trust the working classes.) So congratulations, you're part of the problem.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
literally no one cares about costco

~happy abobo mod is the nail in the coffin
~does anyone even know who the gently caress he is?

gg gws tbss

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SYFY HYPHY posted:

literally no one cares about costco

~happy abobo mod is the nail in the coffin
~does anyone even know who the gently caress he is?

gg gws tbss

Assistant Manager / IT / Errand Boy

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
It's perfectly obvious that I should have been the new mod. I'm still baffled that they didn't ask me.

If not me, then mindphlux, of course.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Mr. Wiggles posted:

They're shopping there because the good local butchers and liquor stores and general goods sellers have been put out of business by places like Costco and walmart et. al., the sort of establishment which you, in finest Stockholm syndrome style, are defending (while they watch you and check your receipt to make sure you haven't stolen anything because, hey, you can't trust the working classes.) So congratulations, you're part of the problem.

Oh! Oh!

Someone get him going on monoculture agriculture, genetically modified organisms, and factory farming now!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nice one Gravity!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If the 'good' local butchers and liquor stores and general good sellers were actually good as you proclaim, they wouldn't have gone out of business, i.e. whatever extra service or slightly differentiated substitute goods they had provided weren't actually sufficiently enticing to the working class whom you so vigorously defend to keep said local stores in business.

In the end, your compatriots voted with their wallets, because, hey, they found it fun to have cheaper groceries as it increases their standard of living by being able to afford other things!

So congratulations, you're imaging a problem where this isn't one.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

SYFY HYPHY posted:

gg gws tbss

What does tbss mean?

The first page of my googling does not provide any answers, unless you really want to talk about tract based spatial statistics, or Tata's support structure?

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
You know that 'trick' where you wave your hand up and down in front of your face, switching from a smile to a frown? That's me.

I spoke with the infectious disease doctor last night. The cultures that grew were bacteria found in the mouth. Sickson had a dental cleaning in March, so there's a new theory.

The theory is that the blood and bacteria mixed during his dental cleaning, and that the bacteria somehow traversed from the 'dirty' side of his circulatory system to the clean side without going through all the filters. The most likely way this could happen is if he has a prolapsed valve in his heart. So today is Echo Cardiogram and/or Sono of his heart to see if they can find any evidence of such. If so, it will require surgical intervention, but I am not sure to what extent. Only if they get a positive on the tests will I get to speak to a cardiologis.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Happy Hat posted:

What does tbss mean?

The first page of my googling does not provide any answers, unless you really want to talk about tract based spatial statistics, or Tata's support structure?

"too bad, so sad" maybe?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Wiggles, I love you, but in all seriousness -- the two closest Costcos to me are also in the areas near me with real small butchers and groceries with bulk beans/grains (excepting fairway which only sells "organic" legumes and grains in bulk and only at super high prices (more per/lb than the packaged organic, even!)). Even more than that, Costco, more than probably any other national chain, tailors their in-store selection to where they are: take the Manhattan Costco, situated in East Harlem (El Barrio). Because it serves all of Manhattan, it has more high end heat&eat dishes than usual, a much larger kosher section than usual (including pre-pack kosher meat in it's own freezer), Vintage seltzer, and a seriously impressive cheese section. Because it's in El Barrio, it offers an impressively wide selection of latin goods at excellent prices.

They also have remarkably good labor practices and fair pay (they don't want a union, so they keep the union out by making the labor happy enough to not organize). Their presence has given a cuspy neighborhood the boost it needed to really start to get nice again.

I understand the critique of end-stage capitalism, but within the world we live in, Costco is way above the norm for not being terrible.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Glad to hear that your kid's doing better and that it wasn't something truly terrible.

PXJ800 posted:

On a different note, you may notice my blue star is gone.
Welcome home, brother. Fist bump and awkwardly long hug.

Welcome, Happy Abobo.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Test Pattern posted:

Wiggles, I love you, but in all seriousness -- the two closest Costcos to me are also in the areas near me with real small butchers and groceries with bulk beans/grains (excepting fairway which only sells "organic" legumes and grains in bulk and only at super high prices (more per/lb than the packaged organic, even!)). Even more than that, Costco, more than probably any other national chain, tailors their in-store selection to where they are: take the Manhattan Costco, situated in East Harlem (El Barrio). Because it serves all of Manhattan, it has more high end heat&eat dishes than usual, a much larger kosher section than usual (including pre-pack kosher meat in it's own freezer), Vintage seltzer, and a seriously impressive cheese section. Because it's in El Barrio, it offers an impressively wide selection of latin goods at excellent prices.

They also have remarkably good labor practices and fair pay (they don't want a union, so they keep the union out by making the labor happy enough to not organize). Their presence has given a cuspy neighborhood the boost it needed to really start to get nice again.

I understand the critique of end-stage capitalism, but within the world we live in, Costco is way above the norm for not being terrible.

I think basically he was saying that any corporate supermarket perpetuates the mythical/unsustainable american dream that is destroying the world. That Costco is above the norm for not being terrible is actually a worse thing than if they were complete poo poo, because the average member of the population would be a lot less likely to understand that something is wrong.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 7, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
but yeah I mean they have cheap bulk paper towels and the best price on gin so whatever

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

Phummus posted:

You know that 'trick' where you wave your hand up and down in front of your face, switching from a smile to a frown? That's me.

I spoke with the infectious disease doctor last night. The cultures that grew were bacteria found in the mouth. Sickson had a dental cleaning in March, so there's a new theory.

The theory is that the blood and bacteria mixed during his dental cleaning, and that the bacteria somehow traversed from the 'dirty' side of his circulatory system to the clean side without going through all the filters. The most likely way this could happen is if he has a prolapsed valve in his heart. So today is Echo Cardiogram and/or Sono of his heart to see if they can find any evidence of such. If so, it will require surgical intervention, but I am not sure to what extent. Only if they get a positive on the tests will I get to speak to a cardiologis.

I'm hoping for the best possible outcome for your son and your family. Keep us posted and good luck.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

mindphlux posted:

I think basically he was saying that any corporate supermarket perpetuates the mythical/unsustainable american dream that is destroying the world. That Costco is above the norm for not being terrible is actually a worse thing than if they were complete poo poo, because the average member of the population would be a lot less likely to understand that something is wrong.

Actually.... My oldest has informed me, that they today learned that if everybody consumed like the americans, we would need 5 earths to sustain our global population.

While I support the message (conservation), I do not support the finger pointing..

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Happy Hat posted:

Actually.... My oldest has informed me, that they today learned that if everybody consumed like the americans, we would need 5 earths to sustain our global population.

While I support the message (conservation), I do not support the finger pointing..

Is that based on the amount the world currently produces or on the amount we could produce with genetically modified crops and modern farming worldwide?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

signalnoise posted:

Is that based on the amount the world currently produces or on the amount we could produce with genetically modified crops and modern farming worldwide?

Purely on check-out at cost-co!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

signalnoise posted:

Paging I Shoot Friendlies.

blowingupcasinos
Feb 21, 2006

Happy Hat posted:

You don't support the finger pointing? Like you deny that it's true or that you don't like that they learned that we Americans are especially wasteful? Because it's true and you can do (a little) something about that second part.

magnetic
Jun 21, 2005

kiteless, master, teach me.
Man Pies is very good, zero drama month. Near perfect team. The last 8 weeks have been double business with my food truck feeding 3500 workers at the BP Cherry Point Refinery.

Climbed out of a little poo poo hole real fast with room to breath. And I also managed to have a perfect, relaxing weekend (with a girl.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

magnetic posted:

Man Pies is very good, zero drama month. Near perfect team. The last 8 weeks have been double business with my food truck feeding 3500 workers at the BP Cherry Point Refinery.

Climbed out of a little poo poo hole real fast with room to breath. And I also managed to have a perfect, relaxing weekend (with a girl.)
Ace. That's great to hear. Viva man pies, viva!