Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
One of the reasons I love Blindsight so much is that Peter Watts uses the word invagination a bunch of times. That's a word you don't have to look up to know the meaning of. drat, we are stuck here, in this darn invagination!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
You should have studied neuroscience; we talk about invagination all the time :chord:

I finished Scar and it was pretty good up until the end (same thing with PSS). I'm a little confused though.

What is the difference between the Scar and the Cacotopic Stain? Which one has torque mutants and stuff?

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

fookolt posted:

You should have studied neuroscience; we talk about invagination all the time :chord:

I finished Scar and it was pretty good up until the end (same thing with PSS). I'm a little confused though.

What is the difference between the Scar and the Cacotopic Stain? Which one has torque mutants and stuff?

The Stain is Torque-land, the Scar is "a place in the world where reality breaks down and anything is possible"

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Hard Clumping posted:

The Stain is Torque-land, the Scar is "a place in the world where reality breaks down and anything is possible"

Thanks.

The Stain was caused by the use of torquebombs during the Pirate War or something, right?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Something like that, and the Scar was caused by the arrival of the Ghosthead empire, who travelled around with probability-based technology.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
Is there any news on a US signing/book tour for Railsea?

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Is railsea young adult? If so, was his his last ya novel any good?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Umph posted:

Is railsea young adult? If so, was his his last ya novel any good?

Yes. Un Lun Dun is pretty good if you don't mind YA.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I just read Embassytown and holy poo poo it was pretty great.

I also like The City and The City so I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to read everything else he wrote ever.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Nothing sticks in my craw like an author with the audacity to write what he wants and not what his fans order him to. I don't recall giving permission for another YA novel.

Nevvy Z posted:

I just read Embassytown and holy poo poo it was pretty great.

I also like The City and The City so I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to read everything else he wrote ever.

Yeah I love everything he writes too. You haven't read Perdido yet?

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Umph posted:

Kraken was fun to read for me. It started out as this normal crime drama and ended up like King Rat. Also I thinkthe Gaiman comparison isnt that fair as hes invoked legendary characters into novels before. I'm in the minority though as I think Gaiman is overrated.
Agreed, both on overrated and the comparison isn't apt. Kraken's his tribute to Lovecraft; it just happens to be in a kooky alternate London, which Gaiman hasn't exactly patented.

Also, he's done with Bas Lag? I haven't heard anything definitive; he's just writing what he's inspired to.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Noricae posted:

Also, he's done with Bas Lag? I haven't heard anything definitive; he's just writing what he's inspired to.

I am 100% sure we will see more Bas Lag books, but he is in no hurry and is just going to write what he wants.
Also I think the first issue of his Dial H for Hero comic should be out this week.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

He said he thinks to too cliche to write in one world, and in the interviews ive seen hes standoffish about the issue. I'm sure eventually well get one though. Ide like to learn more about jack halfa prayer or the ghosthead invasion. Maybe about the city there as they fight off an ever increasing random poo poo force. Bananas with machetes riding zebras one instant, until the event horizon where everything that could happen happens and they breach!

If you read this China your welcome.

Umph fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 2, 2012

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Post your future Bas-Lag story wish list. Personally I'd like to read about :
- the Pirate Wars and Suroch
- why the Khepri fled to Rohagi ("The Ravening" or whatever that was called)
- the Cacotopic Stain
- a Bas-Lag take on a ghost story
- exploration/expeditions to uncharted areas
- the Hotchi, because goddamn if giant-rooster-riding hedgehog men aren't the cutest :3:

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 2, 2012

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
A novel about the Cacotopic Stain probably wouldn't work because of how illogical and terrifying it is, but I'd give up a good percentage of my blood to read a short story / novella that centered around a group of people attempting to reach the center of the Stain for untold riches.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

A Roadside Picnic like story, set near the the Cacotopic Stain. Roadside Picnic did a good job of describing strange stuff and how people just couldn't grasp it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

RoboCicero posted:

A novel about the Cacotopic Stain probably wouldn't work because of how illogical and terrifying it is, but I'd give up a good percentage of my blood to read a short story / novella that centered around a group of people attempting to reach the center of the Stain for untold riches.

That would be amazing. Sort of like Diamond Dogs by Reynolds, except venturing through landscape of horrors rather than ascending a tower of horrors.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

RoboCicero posted:

This would be great. Especially since Bas-Lag adventurers are a bunch of immoral merceneries who do anything for money. After all RPGs do sort of revolve around grave robbing,poacing and pogroms so it makes sense.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 2, 2012

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
-The Malarial Queendoms

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
I think the world of Bas-Lag would translate nicely as a video game and something like the Cacotopic Stain would be perfect for a STALKER type game.

It's only been a week and I'm already 70% into Iron Council. These books go by way too drat fast.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
I know it's a comic, but did anyone read China's first issue of Dial H for Hero today? It's pretty awesome and extremely strange.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hedrigall posted:

Definitely my pick. I like the Khepri in general, and I'm a sucker for exodus stories.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

I know it's a comic, but did anyone read China's first issue of Dial H for Hero today? It's pretty awesome and extremely strange.

I'm not a comic book person but I'm seriously considering visiting my local comic store after work today...

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Ok I bought it :3: I'll read it later but i need to ask... I've bought graphic novels but never this kind of serial comic before, so basically, how does this work? Does it come out weekly? Monthly? (of course when it's published as a graphic novel/omnibus I'll get that too)

And forgive my ignorance but how do I store these things? I might buy a binder or something :ohdear:

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

Hedrigall posted:

Ok I bought it :3: I'll read it later but i need to ask... I've bought graphic novels but never this kind of serial comic before, so basically, how does this work? Does it come out weekly? Monthly? (of course when it's published as a graphic novel/omnibus I'll get that too)

And forgive my ignorance but how do I store these things? I might buy a binder or something :ohdear:

I actually bought mine on Comixology (it's basically an iTunes for comics, and I'm pretty sure it's on Android and iOS), but I have no idea if that's available in Australia, sorry.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Do you want to read the first 50 pages of Railsea?

I don't, I want to wait for the actual book to be in my hands. But if anyone's interested...

http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2012/05/50-page-fridays-china-mieville.html

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Post your future Bas-Lag story wish list. Personally I'd like to read about :
- the Pirate Wars and Suroch
- the Cacotopic Stain
- a Bas-Lag take on a ghost story
- exploration/expeditions to uncharted areas
- the Hotchi, because goddamn if giant-rooster-riding hedgehog men aren't the cutest :3:

Anything anything anything.

I'm bad for this because all my initial impulses are to know more about stuff better left mysterious, like the Ghosthead Empire and High Cromlech. And we already got as much about the Grindylow as we really need.

I *do* think there's potential in something set in the Malarial Queendoms, though--government not as militarily dystopic, but as flat-out insane.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
I love the Bas-Lag books, but I'm perfectly happy with ending them on Iron Council and perfectly happy if China never writes another one. If and when he does, I'm sure it'll be really cool, but I don't really want to see something actually set in New Crobuzon after the events of Iron Council, nor do I want to hear about New Crobuzon. It's difficult to explain why, but I loved that ending and want to sort of keep it frozen in time, so to speak.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

I love the Bas-Lag books, but I'm perfectly happy with ending them on Iron Council and perfectly happy if China never writes another one. If and when he does, I'm sure it'll be really cool, but I don't really want to see something actually set in New Crobuzon after the events of Iron Council, nor do I want to hear about New Crobuzon. It's difficult to explain why, but I loved that ending and want to sort of keep it frozen in time, so to speak.

Hah, I just finished Iron Council and I also really liked the ending!

What should I start next?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

fookolt posted:

What have you read so far?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Oasx posted:

What have you read so far?

Ah, sorry. I've only read the Bas-Lag books so far and really loved all of them.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I'd recommend Kraken or Embassytown, but a lot of folks in this thread disliked them. I was recommended The City & The City and King Rat and liked neither. All that I can tell you with any confidence is that you should try checking them out from your local library or getting them on the cheap as ebooks (if they are cheaper as ebooks?) before you get your own printed copies.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I'd recommend Kraken or Embassytown, but a lot of folks in this thread disliked them. I was recommended The City & The City and King Rat and liked neither. All that I can tell you with any confidence is that you should try checking them out from your local library or getting them on the cheap as ebooks (if they are cheaper as ebooks?) before you get your own printed copies.

Thanks. I think I'll just pick one of those at random.

And don't tell anyone, but I haven't read a printed book for anything other than school or work in years. I love my Kindle :3:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

fookolt posted:

I'd go Embassytown and then TC&TC. Didn't actively hate Kraken as most people seem to but it certainly didn't engross me as hard as Embassytown, the Bas Lag series or even TC&TC.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I say Embassytown aswell, it is close to the Bas Lag books in tone and setting.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

What...

http://www.penny-arcade.com/

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

shrike82 posted:

What...

Penny Arcade is terrible, news at 11.

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

I love the Bas-Lag books, but I'm perfectly happy with ending them on Iron Council and perfectly happy if China never writes another one. If and when he does, I'm sure it'll be really cool, but I don't really want to see something actually set in New Crobuzon after the events of Iron Council, nor do I want to hear about New Crobuzon.

That's how I feel about it too. I'm of two minds; while a lot of the stuff he mentions or teases at leaves me wanting more, a part of me prefers to just let my imagination dwell on it.

I haven't really enjoyed anything of his a whole lot since TC&TC, but I'd be surprised if he never wrote something I really liked again.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

shrike82 posted:

What...

Noone cares what those manchildren think. Ironically I can't get through even a single line of Tycho's posts before I want to choke him until the light fades from his beady little eyes. That or beat him to death with whatever giant thesaurus he clutches in one hand when he's writing.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
They probably hate him for being critically acclaimed and taken seriously for the kind of writing they really really wish they were capable of, imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigSkillet
Nov 27, 2003
I said teaberry, not sandalwood!
For some more noteworthy feathers China has ruffled, here's a discussion panel where he and Margaret Atwood get a bit catty: http://www.kwls.org/podcasts/why-other-worlds-isnt-the-real-one-enough/
(I didn't notice this posted in the thread before, apologies if it's old hat.)

I came across this shortly after having read his Crooked Timber seminar, and I quite like the amount of thought he apparently puts in to the theoretical side of his fiction, though it shows through quite a bit more in certain books than in others. Embassytown in particular reminds me a bit of Wallace Stevens' ideas on art and metaphor, regardless of whether or not Tycho wants to give me a very limp punch for such a sentence.