Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aussie Dingbat
Apr 21, 2012

Dingbat from Down Under

Jamesman posted:

It must be very hard if Mojang can't even do it for their own game. :v:

Serious question: Is there something unreasonable or pointless about wanting vanilla Mincraft to be improved versus loading your game up with a ton of mods?

Unreasonable? I don't think so.

Pointless? Well, considering whom we're talking about, perhaps.

Lycus posted:

What a crappy way for Kurt to go out. Oh well.

And watching Etho was driving me nuts. Slowest predator ever. Editing in a voiceover from Doc when they finally met was pretty funny though.

I agree about Kurt, although I suppose that's part of the "game".

At least Etho finally got Doc in the end though, I was a little worried he might die as a result of his waiting too long.

I didn't think Guude was going to be coming back out of the nether, and that turned out to be right, though I did like how he saw the Ghast Fireball coming and realised that it was going to kill him a few seconds before it hit.

And Just_Defy walked straight into that skeleton's line of sight. They were really dropping like flies this episode and with Kurt, who I thought might win, out I'm not sure who's going to come out on top now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Considering that one of the first things Jeb did when taking over the project was explode the height limit, improve the rendering system and add new blocks, it's possible we'll end up getting new stuff like that.

wackychocolate
Feb 27, 2012
Such a ridiculous glitch

Molasses style predating pays off

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
So how much longer do you guys think Minecraft will continue to be substantially updated by Mojang? It seems as though sales are starting to slow down, I haven't seen any major milestones in a long time. You think there's ever going to be a point where they say it's no longer feasible for us to continue to majorly update this product?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
It's been hitting 8-10k sales during weekdays and 10-12k sales during weekends for the last year. If anything profits are up considering the rate increase. ($215k-300k a day)

This isn't including merch (I'm sure the lego set will sell pretty well) or the android port.

Next week the xbox version comes out, and I think that it will easily pass Trials Evolution's sales record. (look at how many people took the time to rate it link 400k+ compared to trials evo here 25k people)

I think that it will be around for a bit more time. If anything the xbox version might increase pc sales as well as people will try it, find out it is moddable on pc, and get it there.

Aussie Dingbat
Apr 21, 2012

Dingbat from Down Under

Disappointing Pie posted:

So how much longer do you guys think Minecraft will continue to be substantially updated by Mojang? It seems as though sales are starting to slow down, I haven't seen any major milestones in a long time. You think there's ever going to be a point where they say it's no longer feasible for us to continue to majorly update this product?

I forsee them updating the game for quite some time yet, however, those updates might not always be free.

What you got if you bought the game in Alpha posted:

Here's what you get:
  • You never have to pay again!
  • You get all future versions of the game, including all expansions and addons.
  • You help fund the development of Minecraft
  • Custom skins in multiplayer
  • Once you've bought the game, it's yours. No DRM.
  • Survival mode!

What you got if you bought the game in Beta posted:

Here's what you get:
  • You get early access to the game to a discounted price!
  • You help fund the development of Minecraft
  • Custom skins in multiplayer
  • Once you've bought the game, it's yours. No DRM.

So for those of you that didn't buy the game until after the Alpha stage, I wouldn't be surprised if you might have to pay for "expansions and addons" at some point.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Aussie Dingbat posted:

So for those of you that didn't buy the game until after the Alpha stage, I wouldn't be surprised if you might have to pay for "expansions and addons" at some point.

I bought the game in Beta and I was given the "never have to pay again" message as well. I don't think the changes line up exactly with the version, but that there was some overlap.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I think the "never pay again" thing was mostly because of the original terms of use, which he updated for the beta. I gotta give Notch credit for sticking to his word for as much as I give him poo poo.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
I honestly really don't see Minecraft being the kind of game capable of doing paid patches/DLC. Any major content added to Minecraft could easily be redone in as a mod, the game is to far departed from such titles as the Elder Scrolls series where trying to replicate DLC would be a nearly impossible undertaking.

I take the Alpha and Beta perks just Notch trying to entice people without really knowing where he was going to take things, I mean hell, a perk for being buying in beta is being able to customize your MP skin which can be done by anyone. Think of how silly if people who bought the game after release couldn't edit their skins.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Enzer posted:

I take the Alpha and Beta perks just Notch trying to entice people without really knowing where he was going to take things, I mean hell, a perk for being buying in beta is being able to customize your MP skin which can be done by anyone. Think of how silly if people who bought the game after release couldn't edit their skins.

Well in Indev/Infdev/"Classic" you couldn't edit your skins (at the time) so it was kind of a selling point back when Classic was still relevant.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Disappointing Pie posted:

The game brought in ~300k in the last 24 hours, that's ludicrously good for a product with 1-2 people working on it.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Etho took as much damage from Doc as Doc had life remaining. His 30 minutes of digging through unlit tunnels bought him a perfectly even exchange of hitpoints. Hardly worth it.

I've been watching this season through Etho's eyes and only jumping into other PoVs to see their kills and deaths so I'm just kinda grumpy about the latest episode.

VVV I certainly won't argue against the value of the loot, but spending just so much time not doing anything really productive is risky when other people are out mining or getting wolves or potions or whatever.

Peepers fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 5, 2012

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Mr. Peepers posted:

Etho took as much damage from Doc as Doc had life remaining. His 30 minutes of digging through unlit tunnels bought him a perfectly even exchange of hitpoints. Hardly worth it.

I've been watching this season through Etho's eyes and only jumping into other PoVs to see their kills and deaths so I'm just kinda grumpy about the latest episode.

To be fair, Doc had a diamond sword and chestpiece. So coming out with equal health loss is still a minor triumph. Maybe not one worth spending half an hour sitting in a dark hole for, but a triumph nonetheless. Plus he got a bunch of Doc's pretty decent stuff out of it. Though I did find it kind of ridiculous that even after all that stalking around, Doc seemed to end up surprising him. At least he didn't gently caress up as bad as he did against Pause in season 3.

I do kind of hope they don't go back to this format again, though. It was great the first time around, but it's getting to be way too many viewpoints to follow, and most of them seem to have settled on pretty much the same strategy of mining for full iron, getting a bow plus maybe some dogs, then wandering the map during daytime for ages looking for somebody to kill, only to halfheartedly dick around underground every night. Doesn't help that everyone understands how to make their homes just about impossible to find.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 5, 2012

wackychocolate
Feb 27, 2012

Vargs posted:

Doesn't help that everyone understands how to make their homes just about impossible to find.

Yeah. From their point of view they must be cheering; All this beautiful content for a few hours gameplay. Compare this to their LP's and you can see why they may like the format.

The main problem is the size of the map. 2000x2000 is quite large. If they could disable player names the map could be shrunk quater-fold. Combat would become more suprise based and it would make them become more reliant on their senses.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Vargs posted:

I do kind of hope they don't go back to this format again, though. It was great the first time around, but it's getting to be way too many viewpoints to follow, and most of them seem to have settled on pretty much the same strategy of mining for full iron, getting a bow plus maybe some dogs, then wandering the map during daytime for ages looking for somebody to kill, only to halfheartedly dick around underground every night. Doesn't help that everyone understands how to make their homes just about impossible to find.

Maybe a rule that all homes must be above ground? That way, you could at least get an idea of where someone's been, and if that IS still their hidey-hole, follow their staircase down, ruin their day, and take their poo poo.

Kurt left some unnatural-looking dirt lying around, and if he hadn't died (read: hosed by netcode), someone could have spotted that and deduced he'd been there.

I don't watch much of it, but when I do, it's inevitably prowling the 2000x2000 map for one of like 8 other players and not even hoping to find evidence of their existence because everyfuckingthing is underground.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
That's overly limiting. The best way to solve the problem is simply to have a smaller map. In fact, they're lucky it's not even worse. Nobody spawned in almost half the map.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Minecraft still sells ridiculously well and if they were to release a $10 piece of content then hundreds of thousands of people would buy it. There is no debate about this.

Problem is, when notch envisioned a future of expansions and poo poo for Minecraft, I don't think he imagined that modding would become so huge. There are some incredibly complex expansion-sized mods that may outclass any content Mojang themselves will ever release. It becomes kind of hard to justify charging for that stuff when this is the case. It's not like a Bethesda game where everything they do is of a higher quality than pretty much any mod (Nehrim excepting). So it would sell to a lot of people, but it would also be mocked by just as many.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
There was a quote from Notch somewhere back when the Terms of Service originally changed that basically said that the "never pay for anything again ever" line was originally there because he never planned on having any additional paid content at all, and that particular line in the TOS was emphasizing that. When Mojang became a big company instead of just a couple guys working out of their homes, his legal advisers told him he should probably remove that line just to avoid any misunderstandings down the line. I know there was a lot of talk among some fans saying that alpha buyers should get the iOS/android/Xbox Live version of minecraft for free because they bought the PC version in alpha and thus get all minecraft content for free. There was even a guy on GameFAQs that made a case for getting Scrolls and Cobalt for free since he was an Alpha Minecraft buyer and he should get all "related content" for free too.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

You can see from the steps they've taken that they're setting up Minecraft to allow additional block-types. The first step was to change how block-types are referenced so that the id's weren't so limited. I'm just speculating but I assume they're working on the next step which is to enable attributes for the new blocks. That's not a small undertaking considering the following;
  • Should the block be available on world generation?
  • Can it be crafted?
  • What does the block do when struck?
  • What states does the block have? (Struck, Stepped-on, Redstone Power/Unpowered,etc...)
I'm sure there are more but you get the point - this kind of update would be tremendous. You could make complete worlds that look nothing like the current Minecraft world.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT

Harminoff posted:

Next week the xbox version comes out, and I think that it will easily pass Trials Evolution's sales record. (look at how many people took the time to rate it link 400k+ compared to trials evo here 25k people)

thanks for this I did not know there was a new Trials game

wackychocolate
Feb 27, 2012
If Mojang were to ever charge more for Minecraft it would be because ongoing costs for the game would increase. i.e. Not for additional content to the game but for say improved login servers and services, etc.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
A thing Etho didn't quite understand is that if he couldn't hear Doc, then Doc couldn't hear him .

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008
Well, that surreal survival map by Sethbling is up for download.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dhs3ithXDA

download link:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/skygrid-survival-map/

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
My server's acting weird at the moment (chunks not updating, items being deleted, world not saving) so I just wanted to check. Is minecraft.net acting weird, or is it just Akliz, or is something wrong with me specifically?

Edit: Never mind, it's back up but a not insignificant amount of work was lost. Oh well.

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 6, 2012

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

iolo_the_bard posted:

There was a quote from Notch somewhere back when the Terms of Service originally changed that basically said that the "never pay for anything again ever" line was originally there because he never planned on having any additional paid content at all, and that particular line in the TOS was emphasizing that. When Mojang became a big company instead of just a couple guys working out of their homes, his legal advisers told him he should probably remove that line just to avoid any misunderstandings down the line. I know there was a lot of talk among some fans saying that alpha buyers should get the iOS/android/Xbox Live version of minecraft for free because they bought the PC version in alpha and thus get all minecraft content for free. There was even a guy on GameFAQs that made a case for getting Scrolls and Cobalt for free since he was an Alpha Minecraft buyer and he should get all "related content" for free too.

A) Scrolls and Cobalt are related to Minecr...what the gently caress...:psyduck:

B) If the original ToS didn't have that standard clause of the ToS being subject to change without any sort of warning (I don't believe it did), I think he's probably bound by them to provide Alpha users with all future paid Minecraft content for free. And the whole iOS/Android/XBL thing isn't going to be an issue unless some overzealous Alpha user decides to sue Mojang for making him pay for those versions when the previous ToS said he shouldn't have to. Which I can't see happening.

That being said, someone brought up a good point. If Mojang DID release paid Minecraft DLC, they'd have to implement some sort of DRM, because modders would just buy the DLC, decompile it, recompile it into a mod, and release it. I also can't see Notch (or Jeb for that matter) as the type to get greedy and start charging for DLC.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

D34THROW posted:

A) Scrolls and Cobalt are related to Minecr...what the gently caress...:psyduck:

His whole argument was "Made by the same company, therefore related". He later tried to back it up with "they must've brought some skills to cobalt and scrolls that they got from minecraft" or some such poo poo.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

D34THROW posted:

That being said, someone brought up a good point. If Mojang DID release paid Minecraft DLC, they'd have to implement some sort of DRM, because modders would just buy the DLC, decompile it, recompile it into a mod, and release it. I also can't see Notch (or Jeb for that matter) as the type to get greedy and start charging for DLC.

You can pirate anything. People will find ways to pirate the DLC with or without DRM. I don't see why they'd be forced to protect against piracy when they never really tried too hard to protect against piracy of normal minecraft and saw huge success despite that.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You can pirate anything. People will find ways to pirate the DLC with or without DRM. I don't see why they'd be forced to protect against piracy when they never really tried too hard to protect against piracy of normal minecraft and saw huge success despite that.

What do you mean, Notch and Jeb fight MC piracy with a good old game of Quake. :v:

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
How do I use world edit to make an infinite biome?

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
A livestream of a few race for the wool matches is about to happen in around twenty minutes (4:30 EST). Here is a link sethbling posted to view three of the streams at once:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/288479/minecraft/cotm/multistream.html

Edit: Here's a video of how the map will look like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsWRPCKwZ6Q&feature=g-all-u

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I can't be disappointed at the amount of PvP in this season's Ultra Hardcore. For a while I thought nobody would find anyone but poo poo's really heated up.

ffuok
Apr 7, 2007

Oh man I'm hungry.
I've found out it's really easy to tell who dies in a video because the length of the videos of people who die are EXACTLY 30 minutes while people who live are off by 2 or 3 minutes.

Aussie Dingbat
Apr 21, 2012

Dingbat from Down Under
Mindcrak UHC Season 5 Episode 6
  1. GuudeBoulderfist
  2. PauseUnpause
  3. W92Baj
  4. VintageBeef
  5. EthosLab
  6. docm77
  7. KurtJMac
  8. BdoubleO100
  9. Pakratt
  10. Nebris
  11. just_defy
  12. Zisteau
What is Mindcrack UHC? Click here to find out.

Aussie Dingbat fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 7, 2012

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Aussie Dingbat posted:

incredible spoilers

Hahahaha gj completely spoiling everything bro

Monicro fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 7, 2012

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Aussie Dingbat posted:

There's literally nothing in your post that isn't a horrible spoiler so good job on that.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Aussie Dingbat posted:

Half way point. (Death wise)

Mindcrak UHC Season 5 Episode 6
  1. GuudeBoulderfist - Dead
  2. PauseUnpause
  3. W92Baj
  4. VintageBeef
  5. EthosLab
  6. docm77 - Dead
  7. KurtJMac - Dead
  8. BdoubleO100
  9. Pakratt - Dead
  10. Nebris
  11. just_defy - Dead
  12. Zisteau - Dead
What is Mindcrack UHC? Click here to find out.

Wow, what an interesting run for these guys. Right now I'm thinking that EthosLab has the best chance of winning it.

Aussie Dingbat
Apr 21, 2012

Dingbat from Down Under

Vertigus posted:

Wow, what an interesting run for these guys. Right now I'm thinking that EthosLab has the best chance of winning it.

At the beginning, after Kurt, Etho was my bet to take it out, and since Kurt's out now, I'm with you thinking that Etho might win.

Monicro posted:

Hahahaha gj completely spoiling everything bro

Ominous Jazz posted:

There's literally nothing in your post that isn't a horrible spoiler so good job on that.

Oh no, you've figured it out, the links spoil the episode by showing you what happens.

Aussie Dingbat fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 7, 2012

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Aussie Dingbat posted:

Oh no, you've figured it out, the links spoil the episode by showing you what happens.

nah the text right next to the names saying Dead does more

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Beaten by a better man than me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Monicro posted:

nah the text right next to the names saying Dead does more

Well in his fairness those are the guys who are dead at the beginning of this set of videos.

Also this is a fantastic set of videos tonight.