Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I am so loving happy that I discovered this before going out for another run.

:stare:
SSR Type-Cs. No I didn't hit anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

nm posted:

I am so loving happy that I discovered this before going out for another run.
SSR Type-Cs. No I didn't hit anything.

I've seen a lot of SSR's crack like that... Usually from potholes, though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

dustywusty posted:

I've seen a lot of SSR's crack like that... Usually from potholes, though.

This as best can tell was cracked from autocrossing. They were track/autox wheels only.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
How did you discover that?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

the poi posted:

How did you discover that?

Finally the age old ritual of kicking the tires is justified.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I hope you get refunded for the whole set and buy wheels elsewhere.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
How old were they? Lightweight wheels are a consumable if you track them.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

C Prepared '65 Mustang... that was a front driveshaft u-joint at one point...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

FatCow posted:

How old were they? Lightweight wheels are a consumable if you track them.
Old enough. Probably 5 years or more.
I discovered it by dumb luck.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

R1200GS decides that it doesn't like its carbon fiber exhaust anymore:

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOQ66cZaPb4

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

"I need a wrench to disconnect the battery."

No, you need a CO2 extinguisher.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Just find the least valuable parcel and put it on the intake. Or...get in, put it in the highest gear and stand on the brakes. Would that work?

Anyway, diesels are running away with the country, vote Ron Paul!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ola posted:

Just find the least valuable parcel and put it on the intake. Or...get in, put it in the highest gear and stand on the brakes. Would that work?

Anyway, diesels are running away with the country, vote Ron Paul!

Good luck getting it into gear at that RPM.
Better luck doing it without exploding bits of transmission everywhere.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Hopefully the clutch still works, and it's not moving, so mostly you'd be waiting for the drat clutch to stop spinning at mach 15.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

kastein posted:

Hopefully the clutch still works, and it's not moving, so mostly you'd be waiting for the drat clutch to stop spinning at mach 15.

They're not auto?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

They're not auto?

All of the newer ones I've seen locally are, but the older ones aren't. And it's tough to tell how old it is from the outside, as they do a pretty good job of keeping the paint and graphics fresh.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
I thought all the new ones were CNG or something? Or is that just FedEx?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Beach Bum posted:

C Prepared '65 Mustang... that was a front driveshaft u-joint at one point...

U joints are cheap, yokes less so.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tactical Bonnet posted:

I thought all the new ones were CNG or something? Or is that just FedEx?

When I say "new" I mean the ones near me. I've not seen a CNG fedex or UPS truck, so maybe we're behind the times here.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

Motronic posted:

"I need a wrench to disconnect the battery."

No, you need a CO2 extinguisher.
Did you hear his explanation?

"It's got an auxiliary electrical backup unit so if I disconnect the battery that should kill it..."

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I guess my distrust of automatics is showing :o not sure why I assumed it had a standard in it. With an auto, you're not stopping that thing without co2/a stiff board or metal plate... doubt the torque converter lockup clutch (if it even has one) could handle that kind of power.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Never mind that disconnecting the battery won't stop a gasser either, unless things have changed in the last 20 years (which they may have). More than once I've started a car, then swapped the battery for a friend's dead one with the engine running. Yeah, it took a couple years off the alternator's life, but it lasted long enough to get back to civilization.

I have had a gas engine refuse to shut off once, due to a wiring fault. Stopped it by pulling the coil plug off the distributor. If it ever happens again I'm just going to let it run out of gas of overheat to death.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's not really going to kill the alternator, but it can kill the ECU and almost any other semiconductor-based component of the electrical system in a hurry. I don't suggest doing that.

You can always pull the primary/drive wiring off the ignition coil instead and avoid an accidental tasing. Or pop the fuse/relay center open and remove the one listed as the ASD relay, or even just put a book over the intake.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

kastein posted:

It's not really going to kill the alternator, but it can kill the ECU and almost any other semiconductor-based component of the electrical system in a hurry. I don't suggest doing that.

You can always pull the primary/drive wiring off the ignition coil instead and avoid an accidental tasing. Or pop the fuse/relay center open and remove the one listed as the ASD relay, or even just put a book over the intake.

What coil?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If I understand it right, this is a turbodiesel that is in a runaway condition due to a failure in the turbo (or in the engine block?) which is allowing engine oil to be consumed by the engine (through the air intake?).

The engine is thus burning oil rather than fuel, it is in a positive feedback loop, and that's why you can't kill it by cutting off fuel (such as by yanking the fuse on the fuel pump or turning off the ignition). Diesel engines don't need a spark either, they ignite the fuel just from high compression, so disconnecting the battery is pointless.

So you want to either cut off fuel (the oil supply) or air. Of the two, it's much easier to block the air intake than cut off the oil supply to wherever poo poo's broken and letting oil in. Right? I mean, you could try crawling under the vehicle to open the oil pan drain but that sounds hot, really dangerous, and not very fast. Maybe take a screwdriver to the oil filter? Having oil spraying around everywhere when you have an engine rapidly exploring the upper limits of its maximum thermal endurance doesn't seem wise either. All these options are stupider than stuffing something bulky into the air intake.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 9, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Delivery McGee posted:

I have had a gas engine refuse to shut off once, due to a wiring fault. Stopped it by pulling the coil plug off the distributor. If it ever happens again I'm just going to let it run out of gas of overheat to death.

Parents owned a carpet cleaning company with a fleet of vans at one point.

One employee drove in with the van smoking like crazy, said the temp gauge had been pegged for a couple of hours.

Van had a carb with a mechanical fuel pump (early 80s Chevy 3/4 ton). Not anything like a diesel run away, but it took some effort to get the drat thing to stop running. From what I understand there wasn't anything really usable left of the engine after that - if it could warp, it was warped.

Same employee went on a massive coke bender a few months later and stole one of the vans. :doh: Pretty sure he was coked out of his skull when he destroyed the engine the first time around too.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

FatCow posted:

What coil?
I believe he was referring to my story of the gas engine.

All the cars mentioned in my previous post about hotswapping batteries were '80s models. I can see how it wouldn't be good with modern cars (and nowadays I always carry jumper cables just in case).

Leperflesh posted:

All these options are stupider than stuffing something bulky into the air intake.
Don't most industrial diesels these days have basically a cable that pulls the throttle butterfly closed (or a separate cutoff in the intake)? Is that available for retrofit to small-vehicle engines? Because if I ever get a diesel, I want one just in case.

I almost had a diesel as my first car, actually -- I really wanted a certain F250 (hey, I was young and stupid and fuel of any kind was cheap), but it was just a bit more than Mom was willing to pay. Fifteen years later, my brother bought a 10-year-old diesel F250, and the transmission exploded the day after he brought it home. According to the mechanic, they do that if you only drive them on the street with no load for years and then suddenly try to pull a 13,000-pound trailer in a muddy field (he was showing the truck off to his buddies by helping them with their hay harvest). He did manage to get the hay to the barn with bits falling out of the transmission, and between the previous owner being a stand-up guy and his friends being impressed and chipping in, my brother only paid $100 or so out-of-pocket for the fix.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 9, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Delivery McGee posted:

Don't most industrial diesels these days have basically a cable that pulls the throttle butterfly closed (or a separate cutoff in the intake)? Is that available for retrofit to small-vehicle engines? Because if I ever get a diesel, I want one just in case.

It depends on the truck. They are definitely optional in the "not required by law" sense of the word. Any triaxle, firetruck, or anything that would be in a quarry or other place where combustable gas can build up has one for the most part. But some people/companies are cheap and may just skip it, especially on things that aren't likely to be in environments like that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Block the intake: easiest way to stop a runaway diesel. Cutting fuel won't do jack crap, and the only other way to stop it that you could do is pull the glow plugs if they are accessible....the drawback being they may shoot off in your face at high speed.

Some diesel engines have a anti-shudder valve that is basically a throttle body butterfly valve. You can use vacuum and force that to close and achieve the same thing, but its a fairly new feature

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

CommieGIR posted:

Block the intake: easiest way to stop a runaway diesel. Cutting fuel won't do jack crap, and the only other way to stop it that you could do is pull the glow plugs if they are accessible....the drawback being they may shoot off in your face at high speed.

Some diesel engines have a anti-shudder valve that is basically a throttle body butterfly valve. You can use vacuum and force that to close and achieve the same thing, but its a fairly new feature

Aren't glow plugs only used for starting diesels? I guess pulling one would open a hole in the combustion chamber so that it could no longer build pressure, but unless you pull all of the glow plugs, your not stopping the engine that way.

I always wanted to get a diesel car or truck and install a air starter in it. I always loved the sound of the engines being fired up on my dad's old boat, and im sure it would scare the poo poo out of people walking by when you fired it up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Negromancer posted:

Aren't glow plugs only used for starting diesels? I guess pulling one would open a hole in the combustion chamber so that it could no longer build pressure, but unless you pull all of the glow plugs, your not stopping the engine that way.

Yeah, it will stop compression....but believe it or not, I've done this before because we couldn't get the filter assembly off.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
from a friend's facebook:

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 9, 2012

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Is he buying wheels and tires on an installment plan? :confused:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Delivery McGee posted:

I believe he was referring to my story of the gas engine.

All the cars mentioned in my previous post about hotswapping batteries were '80s models. I can see how it wouldn't be good with modern cars (and nowadays I always carry jumper cables just in case).

Yup! I'm not quite ignorant enough to think diesels have spark plugs... though my multifuel inline 6 has one (it's in the intake manifold next to a fuel injector, used for extreme cold weather starting as an intake air heater)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Root Bear posted:

Looks like the front and rear probably matched the last time the car moved on its own, but the rear may have had a slight rubbing problem.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

KozmoNaut posted:

R1200GS decides that it doesn't like its carbon fiber exhaust anymore:

That's what you get for putting aftermarket exhausts on BMWs. Tasteful BMW owners (REAL BMW owners) know that you don't put loud pipes on a BMW.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Root Bear posted:

:10bux: says they swapped the stockers on for burnout purposes. A common sight in :australia: is stupid "street machine" Falcons and Commodores wearing massive 20"s on the front and 15" steelies in the rear for smoking.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

2ndclasscitizen posted:

:10bux: says they swapped the stockers on for burnout purposes. A common sight in :australia: is stupid "street machine" Falcons and Commodores wearing massive 20"s on the front and 15" steelies in the rear for smoking.

Yeah there's a dipshit P plater in town here that does that. I call him that because he has talked to me before. Anyway pretty sure it was the same car I heard coming a couple of days ago. whukwhukwhukwhuk of a flat tyre way before I saw it.
he thinks he's hot poo poo because he drives a shiny fairly recent commonwhore and acts accordingly. I'm absolutely sure it's a countdown until doing something stupid bites him in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ola posted:

Finally the age old ritual of kicking the tires is justified.

I think he might be kicking them a bit too hard. :stare: