Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aussie Dingbat
Apr 21, 2012

Dingbat from Down Under

Monicro posted:

nah the text right next to the names saying Dead does more

The way you are knocked out of the comp is that you die, if they are dead they have no videos, since they have no videos they must be dead, the "dead" tag may be superfluous. What it isn't though, is a spoiler, as it doesn't say how or when they died, just that they are dead, and thus, won't have any video this episode.

Aussie Dingbat fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinz
Feb 17, 2011

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Oh Pause... why you no pick up diamonds?!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Aussie Dingbat posted:

The way you are knocked out of the comp is that you die, if they are dead they have no videos, since they have no videos they must be dead, the "dead" tag may be superfluous. What it isn't though, is a spoiler, as it doesn't say how or when they died, just that they are dead, and thus, won't have any video this episode.

People have been spoiler-tagging details from the series that were from several episodes ago; plenty of times I've kept a backlog of episodes to watch but decided to keep up with the thread regardless, so don't assume that everyone is going to be aware of who is dead based on the last episodes. And knowing someone is dead is a massive spoiler; look at, say, Guude. The fun in these most recent episodes of his would be completely spoiled if you knew that he dies when it looks for a bit like he is really going to make it out. Stop being a dingbat and spoiler the entire post, it's not like it's hard.

Aussie Dingbat
Apr 21, 2012

Dingbat from Down Under

Koramei posted:

People have been spoiler-tagging details from the series that were from several episodes ago; plenty of times I've kept a backlog of episodes to watch but decided to keep up with the thread regardless, so don't assume that everyone is going to be aware of who is dead based on the last episodes. And knowing someone is dead is a massive spoiler; look at, say, Guude. The fun in these most recent episodes of his would be completely spoiled if you knew that he dies when it looks for a bit like he is really going to make it out. Stop being a dingbat and spoiler the entire post, it's not like it's hard.

Done.

Although, to use your Guude example, there were 10 players left at the start of that episode, now that would mean, all things be equal, someone would have a 1/10 chance of watching Guude first, if they did so the deaths of Kurt, docm and just_defy would have been spoiled. Now, removing them from the equation, again all things being equal, there would be a 6/7 chance of having Guude's death spoiled for you in the episode.

But anyway, I digress, I've spoiler tagged the relevant episode lists.

Aussie Dingbat fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 7, 2012

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If I dig a pit that has constant natural sunlight and moonlight, will the light level be high enough for wheat to grow or do I need to add a light source.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

I love that everyone keeps running around taming wolves or talking about doing it in the future.
Not a single tamed wolf has successfully come to the aid of a player.
The only instance of a wolf damaging a player was it killing its own master.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

Internet Kraken posted:

If I dig a pit that has constant natural sunlight and moonlight, will the light level be high enough for wheat to grow or do I need to add a light source.

They'll grow, but be greatly slowed down since the light at night won't be enough for them.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

I love that everyone keeps running around taming wolves or talking about doing it in the future.

They've been very successful in previous seasons which is why people are probably going after them. Part of the problem though is that if you attack someone with a ranged attack your wolves won't attack your opponent.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

The only time they really seemed to come in handy is when Kurt killed Pause in season 3, which could have been avoided had Pause backed away to take care of the dog first rather than just standing there and allowing it to bite him to death while he tunnel visioned on Kurt. Even the enormous wolf swarm in season 4 didn't really seem to do much damage at all. One dude backpedaled a bit and chopped nearly all of them to pieces without taking a scratch. Probably would have been even easier if he dropped lava. Which is assuming you can even get them to attack, meaning you made the typically poor choice of going into melee. I don't think wolves are all that super great.

It's a shame that gunning for potions isn't really viable either. Getting them would be a gamechanger, but I can't see anyone ever doing that. For health potions you need:
- Melons, which you can only get through seeds, which can only randomly be found in some abandoned mineshaft chests, which are hidden and extremely dangerous due to poison spiders.
- A blaze rod, from perhaps the most deadly enemy in the game, which only appear in large groups around rare nether fortress spawners.
- Nether wart, also from rare nether strongholds which often don't even end up having any of the stuff. It also grows extremely slowly, grows only in the nether, and only does so while you hang out nearby.
- Gold bars.

Even if you lucked way the hell out and managed to find all of this poo poo without dying, it would take ages. And these matches don't seem to last long enough for that sort of thing.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
They've talked about changing the settings so that when a player dies, he drops a golden apple.
Right now PVP is a bit pyrrhic, having the loser drop a golden apple would help with this.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Hahaha, Etho has completely redeemed himself from not using his lava bucket in season 3. It worked perfectly in flushing Beef out and flustering him, and getting shot meant most of his stuff survived too. That's easily the best kill of the season so far.

Watching Nebris run around like a chicken with his head cut off was hilarious. I watched Pause's PoV first and thought Nebs must have run out of arrows or something.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Blazes can actually spawn in nether forts without a spawner, it's just rare. However, spawners are the only guaranteed way to get rods since blazes don't always drop them.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Internet Kraken posted:

Blazes can actually spawn in nether forts without a spawner, it's just rare.

I've heard this several times, but I have never observed it, despite spending significant time dicking around nether forts.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

Vargs posted:

Even if you lucked way the hell out and managed to find all of this poo poo without dying, it would take ages. And these matches don't seem to last long enough for that sort of thing.

The other problem is with how nether portals work. With the limited map size all the overworld portals will go to the first portal in the nether and that portal will always exit to the first portal created in the overworld.

Everyone enters the nether in the same place and is looking for the same thing (nether fortress). They also exit in the same place. Risky.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Schwarzwald posted:

I've heard this several times, but I have never observed it, despite spending significant time dicking around nether forts.

I used to think the same thing until I saw it myself. It seems really random and isn't at all reliable, so your best bet is still finding a fort with a spawner. Of course then you need nether wart as well, which isn't guaranteed either so you need another fort and it just goes on and on.

VVV I would love this. Fights in a jungle would be awesome and hilarious.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 7, 2012

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
The next Ultra Harcore map should be all jungle biome just to troll Pause.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

BlueBayou posted:

They've talked about changing the settings so that when a player dies, he drops a golden apple.
Right now PVP is a bit pyrrhic, having the loser drop a golden apple would help with this.

This would probably be my first suggestion. My second would be to have skeletons not spawn at the surface (to encourage more nighttime travel instead of holing up), but that might be beyond the minimalist ideal they're going for.

Jervas Dudley posted:

The other problem is with how nether portals work. With the limited map size all the overworld portals will go to the first portal in the nether and that portal will always exit to the first portal created in the overworld.

Everyone enters the nether in the same place and is looking for the same thing (nether fortress). They also exit in the same place. Risky.

Actually, depending on the exact placement, you could potentially have up to four distinct portals, since they have to be within 1024 blocks to link up and the map is 2000x2000. Of course, I just see this as another reason to shrink the map.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Aussie Dingbat posted:

Why not put "fake" links on so people who don't watch these literally every second don't see on a quick scroll past.

Hell, finally a legit excuse to rick roll.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

It definitely happens, I can attest to it. You can also see it in the second season of Ultra Hardcore, one of the non-PvP ones. They encounter several blazes spawned in naturally, not from a spawner.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Monicro posted:

The next Ultra Harcore map should be all jungle biome just to troll Pause.

Also make it 20 players so the server lags to poo poo, so that we finally have the answer to the question: "how much bitching is it possible to fit into a single, 30-minute video?"

Watching this last set from Beef's point of view first, I was expecting Pause's video to feature a stone cold killing machine, considering that he shot down two people back-to-back while hardly taking damage. Turns out he just bumbled his way into it all by accident and won mostly through luck. I'm starting to think that dude is Khad.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 7, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Fez texture pack!

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/143282-16x18-fez-community-texture-pack-v10/

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
Wolves used to attack ranged targets (I remember a time when you could get your own wolves to attack you by shooting an arrow straight up in the air and letting it hit you). When did this change?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Haha, Beefs POV was definetly hilarious this episode.
I thought he snuck up on Etho trying to snipe, but nope, completely jumped into his view oblivious of him. Then retreats to a corner and camps with his bow, "oh wow, it sure got bright in here all of a sudden" OH poo poo LAVA.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
I was sure Beef was going to go through his portal and then dump lava all over the exit, or at least go through and then camp out watching it. Instead he decides to sit in a hole, it was a pretty disappointing way for him to go out.

Sprite Based
Nov 13, 2004

dance dance sasquatch
It cracks me up that, despite being seriously committed Minecraft players, most of these guys are awful at PVP, strategy, or any form of tactical engagement whatsoever. Out of all of them this season, Etho has the most killer instinct, with his patient stalking of Doc, and his cool-headed dispatch of Beef. Pause stumbled into both those kills, and if BDouble and Nebris hadn't acted like total idiots, could have easily killed him. Why Beef didn't flee through his Nether portal is entirely beyond me, though. It would have given him instant advantage over Etho, should he have followed.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I wouldn't call them "seriously committed" moreso as they're "Vaguely charismatic personalities who enjoy playing games for the internet."

Would Simon and Lewis do nearly this good if they tried this poo poo? I'd be surprised if they made it past the first night.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Sprite Based posted:

It cracks me up that, despite being seriously committed Minecraft players, most of these guys are awful at PVP, strategy, or any form of tactical engagement whatsoever. Out of all of them this season, Etho has the most killer instinct, with his patient stalking of Doc, and his cool-headed dispatch of Beef. Pause stumbled into both those kills, and if BDouble and Nebris hadn't acted like total idiots, could have easily killed him. Why Beef didn't flee through his Nether portal is entirely beyond me, though. It would have given him instant advantage over Etho, should he have followed.

I'd also add that this may be underestimating the amount of stress and adrenaline the encounters add to the player's decisions. There's not a lot of time to react, and you have no idea what the other player might have up their sleeve.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Disappointing Pie posted:

They've been very successful in previous seasons which is why people are probably going after them. Part of the problem though is that if you attack someone with a ranged attack your wolves won't attack your opponent.

Ah that explains it.This is the first season I have seen.

Its pretty funny watching when people come across an unknown player they always think its Etho when he is actually not even close to other players most of the time.
Etho seems to be the boogeyman player that no one wants to run into which seems to be quite true and makes his Kakashi skin incredibly appropriate

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

As far as spoilers for the video go, why not just spoiler tag each line individually so anyone who cares won't get everything spoiled at once?

Or you could abandon the spoiler tags entirely, but if a person died just keep linking to the last video they put out. Anyone keeping up will already know which videos they want to watch anyway and you don't have to worry about stuff anymore.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
In case anyone is interested, Giant Bomb have a quick look of the Xbox edition up:

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-minecraft-xbox-360-edition/17-5953/

Edit: It's a horrible and unentertaining QL, only worth it to check the buttery smooth performance of the game.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 7, 2012

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
The Verge has a review up: 7/10. A totally fair score in my opinion, especially considering the price point.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/5/7/3003414/minecraft-xbox-360-edition-xbla-review

edit:
Oh God the xbox version uses the terrible pitch-shifted "OOh" pain sound effect

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 7, 2012

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I think it would be great if at the center of the UHC map, there was a big fortress filled with one of those jumping puzzle/freerunning challenge maps. Set up Bukkit and some permissions so nobody could modify blocks in or near it, and make the reward for getting through the course a chest with some potion ingredients or a golden apple or something.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'd love if they allowed for cross-server stuff, everyone has vista or higher anyways nowadays so it should theoretically be fine.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Polo-Rican posted:

The Verge has a review up: 7/10. A totally fair score in my opinion, especially considering the price point.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/5/7/3003414/minecraft-xbox-360-edition-xbla-review

edit:
Oh God the xbox version uses the terrible pitch-shifted "OOh" pain sound effect

A solid 25% of that review is complaining about information being given to the player rather than them having to work it out for themselves. As if anyone actually did that, rather than just wiki everything.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Yeah that review is kinda bunk, if you've never seen a video LP or the Wiki of MC you'd never get anywhere. I think the tutorial stuff for the 360 version looks great and the PC version could have really used something line that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Parkingtigers posted:

A solid 25% of that review is complaining about information being given to the player rather than them having to work it out for themselves. As if anyone actually did that, rather than just wiki everything.

I was just about to post this, refreshed, and saw you did already. Yeah, I'd like to know (though it would be impossible to know) how many people honestly figured out the new stuff from every secret Friday update. I know some people did, but they would put it up on the wiki, and then everyone would know.

Also, while the review says a couple times that the XBLA version is missing items/aspects of the PC version, nowhere does it mention that owners of the XBLA version will be getting free updates as time goes on.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Parkingtigers posted:

In case anyone is interested, Giant Bomb have a quick look of the Xbox edition up:

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-minecraft-xbox-360-edition/17-5953/

Edit: It's a horrible and unentertaining QL, only worth it to check the buttery smooth performance of the game.

I want this in a wallpaper size.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
The artwork this review features is really cool.

efb with style

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sprite Based posted:

It cracks me up that, despite being seriously committed Minecraft players, most of these guys are awful at PVP, strategy, or any form of tactical engagement whatsoever.[/spoiler]

To be fair, in Minecraft, PVP skills, strategy, and tactics are not very necessary skills. Most Lpers are creative builders/designers, mechanically oriented, and/or charmingly inept. I like to think of it as having Frank Lloyd Wright, Nikola Tesla, and Don Knotts enact The Most Dangerous Game.

Etho seems to be the boogeyman player that no one wants to run into which seems to be quite true and makes his Kakashi skin incredibly appropriate

I can't tell you how psyched I am that it's come down to an Etho vrs Pauseunpause rematch. Etho was really out of his element when they fought in UHC season 3, but by now he's adapted to the format and is at the top of his game.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zedicus Mann posted:

I want this in a wallpaper size.

Here you go: