Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Watch it! It's loving awesome! Not a region free DVD, but still awesome never the less.

All of gawd's fury could not keep me from this show. From what I understand, some of the venues on this tour have asked the bands to refrain from some of the details they are known for. The Devil's Blood covering themselves in blood and candles on stage. Watain's pig heads, animal parts/blood and some of their fire effects (torches, candles, etc.) Everything I've read though has lead me to believe that it's pretty much up to the individual venue, not the artists. So, if your attending this tour at a relatively small venue, some or all of the usual stage trimmings may be missing. I don't expect this to detract from my overall experience THAT much. Particularly Watain!

Hey! Maybe Five Fingered Death Punch is coming to your area soon. Enjoy!

SO I go to a Behemoth show to see Behemoth, and hoping that Watain puts on a brutal show....I'm dissapointed it's nothing special, and I'm now a Five Finger Death Punch fan?

Sorry your favorite black metal heroes aren't that scary.

Furthermore, Watain played at the same venue here in atlanta on the smaller stage, and had all the animal blood and carcasses going full force two years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

I'll be checking out the show in Massachusetts next week. I've never been to the Palladium before, so I hope it doesn't suck poo poo.

Part of the reason I want to see Watain is the theatrics, so I hope they're there too.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I'll be checking out the show in Massachusetts next week. I've never been to the Palladium before, so I hope it doesn't suck poo poo.

Part of the reason I want to see Watain is the theatrics, so I hope they're there too.

Depends if it is upstairs or downstairs.

Downstairs is some big pseudo-arena that sucks. Upstairs is this tiny cramped shithole but at least you are closer to the bands.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

OnlyJuanMon posted:

SO I go to a Behemoth show to see Behemoth, and hoping that Watain puts on a brutal show....I'm dissapointed it's nothing special, and I'm now a Five Finger Death Punch fan?

Sorry your favorite black metal heroes aren't that scary.

Furthermore, Watain played at the same venue here in atlanta on the smaller stage, and had all the animal blood and carcasses going full force two years ago.

Metal Thread #8675309 - and I'm now a Five Finger Death Punch fan?

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of black metal, who are some really good live acts? I've never had the pleasure of seeing a real, no pagan/folk twist black metal band. Immortal seems like they're solid live, but that's too easy of an answer.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Any goons going to the Arch/Matheos show in Hartford tomorrow? I'm quite excited, and since Steve Zimmerman and Victor Arduini's current bands are opening, I think we might see a special encore.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm
When I think Watain I definitely dont think Brutal...maybe the problem is an expectation of something similar to Behemoth? I've seen behemoth live like 5 or 6 times at this point, but I'd rather see Watain anytime. Don't really like anything Behemoth has released since Zos Kia Cultus.

Trees and Squids posted:

Speaking of black metal, who are some really good live acts? I've never had the pleasure of seeing a real, no pagan/folk twist black metal band. Immortal seems like they're solid live, but that's too easy of an answer.

When I saw Immortal the venue was seriously nothing but 7 foot tall people, and the sound was kinda eh. Everything kinda ran together, probably just the venues fault. I still had a good time.

Inquisition has probably been my favorite live set from a black metal band I've seen so far. Absu is awesome live, pteradactly scream! I wanna say Aura Noir was good live but I was pretty far from sober so I don't remember much. First time I saw Marduk they were pretty good, too(but I heard the next time they came through it wasn't all that great). Rotting christ is awesome live, but the newer stuff stuff they play isnt really straight up black metal.

EDIT: VVV Yea D666 is killer live, was sticking to straight black metal bands though.

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 4, 2012

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Most of the black/thrash bands are killer live. Special mentions to d666 and GotH

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Unless you're west of 95 already, the drive sucks. The place almost always oversells tickets so the place is mobbed. Depending on the night of the week they also end shows fairly early so they can still bring in the dance club dildos. Every so often you see a shiny shirt or business casual tool, but the look of "I made a mistake" on their face is fun.

You'll either have a pretty drat good show if they don't pack the place, or it'll be a reason you never want to go back unless it's an unmissable show, which is where I'm at with that place.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

quote:

Remember that wearing Watain merchandise means showing your support towards a divine form of art that has been and will always be rightfully feared and hated by humanity. It is a sign of loyalty or belonging to the hungry ones, the fearless and feared, the enemies of the world as we know it. Support the War!

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery

Trees and Squids posted:

I saw Enslaved in October, and they sounded great despite a terrible venue.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Xombie posted:

I saw Enslaved in October, and they sounded great despite a terrible venue.

Enslaved are amazing! I saw them in April 2011 and I think they're one of the best live bands I've seen. All their material sounded great, the atmosphere was really nice, and they knew how to handle the crowd. Excellent band.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Holy poo poo Watain was good. I didn't know Erik was like 5' tall, he's like Dani Filth if there were anything good about Dani Filth.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

The singer of Watain was really cool. A lot of his moves envoked early Antichrist Manson days, especially with the strands of fabric hanging off his wrists and arms.

But man, how lovely were the two other opening bands? Like 80's hair metal wrapped in a goth blanket.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

That Jim Matheos mention reminds me – the new OSI is one hell of a record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LIXaZXab7I

I want to live in the world where Kevmo never parted ways with DT so loving bad.

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

Mammal Sauce posted:

I want to live in the world where Kevmo never parted ways with DT so loving bad.

There's more soul in the new OSI than Dream Theater have put into their four albums.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Mammal Sauce posted:

This is seriously an incredible album.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Quickly, give me a good Armored Saint intro album. I have a sudden urge to go 80s era metal this weekend.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

QPZIL posted:

Holy poo poo Watain was good. I didn't know Erik was like 5' tall, he's like Dani Filth if there were anything good about Dani Filth.

Indeed Watain were great. Reaping gently caress'in Death!!! I really enjoyed In Solitude as well, but I couldn't see the need for The Devil's Blood having 3 guitarists.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Indeed Watain were great. Reaping gently caress'in Death!!! I really enjoyed In Solitude as well, but I couldn't see the need for The Devil's Blood having 3 guitarists.

It actually made sense to me. They had a rhythm guy that just playing the backing chords, and then two guys playing harmonized leads.

But god gently caress, for being such a short set, Malfeitor/Reaping Death/Wolves Curse/The Serpents Chalice/Waters of Ain was the PERFECT set of songs.

I actually left about halfway through Behemoth. They're getting to be like Cannibal Corpse for me - their stage show is reliable, but not too daring or interesting. You know exactly what you're gonna get and it's pretty much the same thing every time. I guess I'm just getting bored with their music a bit too.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Arch/Matheos was amazing, greatest show I have ever seen out of a great many shows. John Arch sounds flawless, like the last 26 years never happened. He had more fun than anyone else there. He sings with so much passion and he shows it a tremendous amount in his performance, it's something I haven't seen nor heard in a long time.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Vargatron posted:

Quickly, give me a good Armored Saint intro album. I have a sudden urge to go 80s era metal this weekend.

March of the Saint, Raising Fear or Delirious Nomad. They've all got good songs. Symbol of Salvation is awesome as well, probably my favourite.

fappenmeister fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 6, 2012

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

QPZIL posted:

It actually made sense to me. They had a rhythm guy that just playing the backing chords, and then two guys playing harmonized leads.

But god gently caress, for being such a short set, Malfeitor/Reaping Death/Wolves Curse/The Serpents Chalice/Waters of Ain was the PERFECT set of songs.

I actually left about halfway through Behemoth. They're getting to be like Cannibal Corpse for me - their stage show is reliable, but not too daring or interesting. You know exactly what you're gonna get and it's pretty much the same thing every time. I guess I'm just getting bored with their music a bit too.

The problem with Behemoth was they wrote two songs called "Ov the Fire and The Void" and "Conquer All", and after they play both those, no other songs can even come close to the badassness of those tracks.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Actually the real problem with Behemoth is they've been writing turgid shite ever since 1998.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

The Clit Avoider posted:

Actually the real problem with Behemoth is they've been writing turgid shite ever since 1998.

Oh thaaaaaat's what the problem is. I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

I don't really care about that stuff, Behemoth was one of those bands that I always said "eh, ill see them next time around." With Nergal getting leukemia, I'd like to make sure I've seen them at least once.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I went to see Deströyer 666 on Friday night with Lvcifyre and Grave Miasma. I don't really have much to say about the 2 support other than that I enjoyed them on record but it all sounded pretty same-y live. I don't know whether that is because I wasn't overly familiar with the material or whether the sound wasn't quite up to it or what. Grave Miasma certainly did create a good occult atmosphere with the incense and candles though.

To get to the point, Deströyer 666 absolutely, 100% crushed everything. Playing a setlist that spanned everything from demo material to their 2009 release, Defiance, the hour they played for was unrelentingly savage, and the setlist was wall to wall brilliant songs. Something about this band make me feel utterly invincible. Shouting "I AM THE WARGOD!" with 150 other sweaty metalheads in an absolutely packed room was awesome, and their rendition of Blood for Blood was spine-tinglingly good. I can't really adequately explain just how much I enjoyed this band, but if they're coming to your area then I urge you to go see them. Unrelenting, savage, and fun.

On another note I finally watched Watain's Opus Diaboli. It was very enjoyable, and the concert footage was for the most part very well filmed, however I would've liked to see more of the drummer, the cameras were very much centred on Erik. The footage of Erik talking about the band was also very interesting, however I am sceptical as to how much insight I have gained from what he said, and how much was just for show. The only thing that confused me was I couldn't see any blood during their live show. For their 13th Anniversary show I was certain they would be using some, and I would be surprised if they agreed to play a venue that did not allow it. Was anyone at the show in Sweeden? Did anyone see it? I definitely didn't see any when they played "Devil's Blood". My only complaint would be there could've been less random arty bullshit (of which there wasn't much, but still) and more of Erik talking. Highly recommended if you are a big(ish) Watain fan, however I don't think I'd recommend it to someone who was only slightly interested in the band.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Belakor released another song from their new album, it's pretty red hot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOHdA7KCDHo

Getting prettttyy excited for this tape.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 22, 2016

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Agreed with 'what the gently caress is Baroness doing on this tour' sentiment. Mostly because I couldn't get tickets to see one of my favourite bands due to the hordes of sweaty 'Djent' worshipping numbskulls :mad:

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

nomapple posted:

To get to the point, Deströyer 666 absolutely, 100% crushed everything. Playing a setlist that spanned everything from demo material to their 2009 release, Defiance, the hour they played for was unrelentingly savage, and the setlist was wall to wall brilliant songs. Something about this band make me feel utterly invincible. Shouting "I AM THE WARGOD!" with 150 other sweaty metalheads in an absolutely packed room was awesome, and their rendition of Blood for Blood was spine-tinglingly good. I can't really adequately explain just how much I enjoyed this band, but if they're coming to your area then I urge you to go see them. Unrelenting, savage, and fun.

You're going to want to keep the 4th of August free mate.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Agreed with 'what the gently caress is Baroness doing on this tour' sentiment. Mostly because I couldn't get tickets to see one of my favourite bands due to the hordes of sweaty 'Djent' worshipping numbskulls :mad:

Sounds like the Summer Slaughter Tour.

I swear to god they pick bands that will have clashing crowds just so there can be fist fights. Absolutely terrible.

There's so much animosity amongst the stupid sub-genres of metal, can't we all just get along?

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
Saw the Behemoth/Watain show at Rams Head in Baltimore. Overall, it was a good show. Pretty disappointed with the setlist from both bands though. No As Above So Below, nothing from Satanica (and only 1 track from Thelema 6). All Watain did was a 5 song set of Lawless Darkness stuff.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

MoreMetalBrian posted:

All Watain did was a 5 song set of Lawless Darkness stuff.

We got The Serpent's Chalice at the Charlotte show. I'm ready to see them do a proper headlining show with a good mix of older stuff myself. Maybe even a few Bathory and Dissection covers for good measure.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

We got The Serpent's Chalice at the Charlotte show. I'm ready to see them do a proper headlining show with a good mix of older stuff myself. Maybe even a few Bathory and Dissection covers for good measure.

I was really hoping for "The Devil's Blood". But... judging from how they toned down their stage show, I can understand why they'd cut it.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 22, 2016

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
They're a progressive sludge band, yeah. They display some NeurISIS worship tendencies sometimes too. Still pretty out of place with Meshuggah, but everyone I know who's into Baroness is apathetic at worst when it comes other genres of metal, so different strokes I guess v:shobon:v

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

You're going to want to keep the 4th of August free mate.

Holy mother of god you're right!

Gutted that I probably won't be around.

From Deströyer 666's facebook page:

quote:

Destroyer is proud to announce we will be playing the Southern Cross Fest along side our Aussie comrades Hobbs Angel of Death,a long time influence on the band,GOTH,Assaulter and Vomitor.Its a once in a lifetime event.Aug 4th The Dome,London.

I want this so bad. gently caress. :(

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
That is an awesome event, Aussie metal is vicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Weaponized Cum posted:

That is an awesome event, Aussie metal is vicious

I never realised until recently that they had a rather good extreme metal scene there. I scoffed at the idea of Aussie Black Metal at first. I was proven horribly wrong.