Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Here you go:

Not quite what I had in mind. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
My biggest worry, and one that that I haven't seen addressed anywhere yet, is if the Xbox version will have the same issues of world generation when they update it. As in, will worlds need to be started over when they get to the 1.8 beta stuff, or when they get to 1.2 with jungles and such.

I basically just want to know how invested I should or shouldn't get in my Minecraft world for now. I'd be happy to just potter about with small projects while waiting for the big "you're safe from now on" update, but with everything on Xbox needing to be built legitimately, larger projects would be heartbreaking to abandon.

I'm guessing that 4J, being better coders than Mojang, would probably make it seamless. But this is Minecraft and anything is possible. If anyone spots any public comment on this, please let me know. With lag-free play almost at my fingertips, my inner sperg is planning all sorts of stuff to build. With luck, I should totally avoid all sunlight this summer.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm very interested to find out how far can we go on the XBLA version (with multiplayer worlds) until everything is just too big and stuff starts getting corrupted. Then again, even with 8 people playing at once, there's a finite number of chunks that have to stay updated at once, isn't there?

Also, one of the pros they mentioned in either the multiplayer video or tutorial video was just how smooth and fast the minecarts work now. That alone has me super pumped. I can't wait!

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Zedicus Mann posted:

The full version has been available at Jinx for some time: http://www.jinx.com/p/minecraft_poster.html

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Fren posted:

The full version has been available at Jinx for some time: http://www.jinx.com/p/minecraft_poster.html

I think he means a desktop wallpaper.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

That poster actually makes me inspired to build an entire complex on stilts, keeping it as guarded as possible from mobs.

Yeah, totally building that on Wednesday.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm very interested to find out how far can we go on the XBLA version (with multiplayer worlds) until everything is just too big and stuff starts getting corrupted. Then again, even with 8 people playing at once, there's a finite number of chunks that have to stay updated at once, isn't there?

Also, one of the pros they mentioned in either the multiplayer video or tutorial video was just how smooth and fast the minecarts work now. That alone has me super pumped. I can't wait!

Looks like it's about as big as the map you start with, which is about a 3 minute walk from the center to the invisible wall.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

To be fair, in Minecraft, PVP skills, strategy, and tactics are not very necessary skills. Most Lpers are creative builders/designers, mechanically oriented, and/or charmingly inept. I like to think of it as having Frank Lloyd Wright, Nikola Tesla, and Don Knotts enact The Most Dangerous Game.

This should honestly be in the promotional materials for the game. I got a good laugh out of that, points for Don Knotts.

MR FURLEY!...no wait..Barney Fife!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

ManPortable posted:

Looks like it's about as big as the map you start with, which is about a 3 minute walk from the center to the invisible wall.
Well, there goes literally most of Minecraft's appeal!!

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

ManPortable posted:

Welp, this pretty much ruins the whole thing. Finite resources make it even shittier. Hope you never plan to make diamond armor!

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Minecraft on PC master race I guess?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ManPortable posted:

That's ridiculous. I don't think all of the biomes can even fit in a world that small with normal generation.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
I actually liked finite worlds back when they were around. At least in creative, things start to get city-like given enough time, much more so than in SMP.

They were also pretty fun for survival, except, y'know, that was in part because of the world generation options.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

ManPortable posted:

Hopefully you can change the world size when you generate a new one. I noticed in that video he only loads a pre-existing world, so we don't know if world size is an option, and if so, what size he chose.

How many blocks is a full map? Like, across?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I think having a finite map is fine, but it should be at least about ten times longer on each side than that tiny piece of poo poo.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Oh wow I hope there are sizes for the worlds. That's way too small.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
They certainly kept quiet about the map size! Minecraft 360 was going to be a certain purchase for me but now I'm not so sure.

A level the size of a map is laughable. I guess they were constrained by the uncertain amount of storage the xbox has. Quite a lot of people have 4GB models which leaves very little for storing large levels. So I can understand their reasoning but I just wish they'd been a bit more flexible. Maybe detect the amount of free space on the xbox and let you choose larger worlds if you can accommodate them.

I'll download the trial and see what it feels like I suppose.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

therobotking posted:

They certainly kept quiet about the map size! Minecraft 360 was going to be a certain purchase for me but now I'm not so sure.

A level the size of a map is laughable. I guess they were constrained by the uncertain amount of storage the xbox has. Quite a lot of people have 4GB models which leaves very little for storing large levels. So I can understand their reasoning but I just wish they'd been a bit more flexible. Maybe detect the amount of free space on the xbox and let you choose larger worlds if you can accommodate them.

I'll download the trial and see what it feels like I suppose.

I think you over-estimate the amount of space a minecraft world takes up. You could create a world four times as big as that and only take up like 20mb. You don't need gigs of space.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think you over-estimate the amount of space a minecraft world takes up. You could create a world four times as big as that and only take up like 20mb. You don't need gigs of space.

That said I think it's very possible that Microsoft wouldn't allow a product with the potential (however realistic) to fill an entire hard-drive to pass cert.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Al! posted:

That said I think it's very possible that Microsoft wouldn't allow a product with the potential (however realistic) to fill an entire hard-drive to pass cert.

Well, that's fine, I just don't know why they didn't set the limit at something like... I don't know, 4,000 blocks 7-8 map lengths each way.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
In was wondering, how much do you guys actually use potions? I really only find myself making potions of extended swiftness. I just can't justify carrying other potions around when inventory space is limited. I might use them more often if I could put them in small stacks.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So apparently the yogscast game is going to be at e3 this year? Like with an area and everything. That's kind of... really weird.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

"The BBC posted:

"The language [Java] is used by many business applications as well as other software, such as the video game Minecraft."

Minecraft has become the face of Java.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

In was wondering, how much do you guys actually use potions? I really only find myself making potions of extended swiftness. I just can't justify carrying other potions around when inventory space is limited. I might use them more often if I could put them in small stacks.

Pretty much never. Combat in minecraft isn't exactly difficult enough to require any of them, and once you acquire iron armor you are effectively invulnerable to mobs. I'm having a real hard time thinking of a situation where I'd desperately need to throw a potion to make a zombie do less damage, let alone spend the time and inventory space necessary to craft and carry around that poo poo. I'm sure they're handy in pvp, but minecraft pvp is also an enormous joke.

Sneaking around in SMP and stealthily tossing slow potions at unsuspecting people is pretty fun though.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Oh. The Minecraft world's on Xbox can't really be that small can they? That has to improve. It's ... it's loving tiny.

All of a sudden that 1,600 funbucks is really starting to look like a raw deal.

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given

Zedicus Mann posted:

Here you go.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

Oh. The Minecraft world's on Xbox can't really be that small can they? That has to improve. It's ... it's loving tiny.

All of a sudden that 1,600 funbucks is really starting to look like a raw deal.

I'd be willing to buy it on good faith, if 4J were to even mention in passing 'the world will be bigger with an update down the road'. I hope that'll be the case :ohdear:

EDIT: I wonder, and this is a long shot, if the world might 'grow' if you craft another map? Like it's only so big until you need it to be bigger? gently caress, I wish someone could test this.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 8, 2012

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Vargs posted:

Pretty much never. Combat in minecraft isn't exactly difficult enough to require any of them, and once you acquire iron armor you are effectively invulnerable to mobs. I'm having a real hard time thinking of a situation where I'd desperately need to throw a potion to make a zombie do less damage, let alone spend the time and inventory space necessary to craft and carry around that poo poo. I'm sure they're handy in pvp, but minecraft pvp is also an enormous joke.

Sneaking around in SMP and stealthily tossing slow potions at unsuspecting people is pretty fun though.

Yeah, I was thinking that most of the potions were built with PvP in mind but at the same time minecraft PvP feels way to fast for any of them to be useful unless you've chugged them prior to fighting. Like, I could carry around a splash potion of slowing to stop a would be attacker in their tracks, but odds are that I'll die to quickly to do that.

Potions in Terraria felt a lot more useful. I always had spelunker, shine, and night owl potions with me becuase they were incredibly helpful. Minecraft could use potions like that.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.
Just tried to buy Mine Craft and it gave me an error message three times when trying to buy via credit card then it told me I was locked out for 24 hours. Anyone have this problem? I tried two different cards just in case and both have more than enough money available but no go.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

change my name posted:

So apparently the yogscast game is going to be at e3 this year? Like with an area and everything. That's kind of... really weird.

Just looked at that again. My god, that thing got funded? Did the blog post from the dude who started programming like 2 years ago and admitted everything else was being done by his friends in their spare time not ring a few warning bells with these people?

How 1% are the 5 children that managed to fleece their parents out of $10,000 each for this PoS. :psyduck:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Rime posted:

Just looked at that again. My god, that thing got funded? Did the blog post from the dude who started programming like 2 years ago and admitted everything else was being done by his friends in their spare time not ring a few warning bells with these people?

How 1% are the 5 children that managed to fleece their parents out of $10,000 each for this PoS. :psyduck:

Wait what blog post? Did I miss some drama?! I demand to know, dammit!

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Wow, yeah I really overestimated it. I was thinking they were ~100MB minimum. I hope they give a good reason for having such dinky worlds then.

Fren posted:

Wait what blog post? Did I miss some drama?! I demand to know, dammit!

I assume he means this post: http://kristafer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/yogventures-journey-begins.html

After watching the videos of Yogventures released so far I gotta say I'm not impressed. The terrain deformation looks clunky and lacks the precision of removing it block by block. I'm sure (I hope) it will get better in time but the way they're going at it now looks bad.

hottubrhymemachine fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 8, 2012

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

therobotking posted:

Wow, yeah I really overestimated it. I was thinking they were ~100MB minimum. I hope they give a good reason for having such dinky worlds then.

I assume he means this post: http://kristafer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/yogventures-journey-begins.html

He says right in the blog post that he had never programmed before 2010 when he started learning xna, and was just a mediocre animator pumped out of a degree mill.

It's horrifying to see that they got over half a million in funding despite that incredibly revealing blog. I'm actually shocked they didn't force him to take it down, its far worse than anything Notch ever said.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Internet Kraken posted:

I always keep some extended fire resistance potions on me.

I also build glass houses under lava lakes in the nether, so my experience may not be typical.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
And you thought Notch was amateur? Yogventures will top it easily. This shall be a spectacular disaster.

Seriously, their niche was funny videos, a community content portal (and funny videos to show them off), silly catchphrases, and T-shirts. So they wanted to diversify. Sure, but this was such a risky undertaking and a display of hubris that goes from adventurous to insane.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 8, 2012

Dyatlov Bass
Apr 16, 2012

by Fistgrrl
Well, at least they were honest. It's not necessarily their fault if fans are rabidly retarded.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm not that familiar with Kickstarter. What happens if the game never gets finished? Does the money go back to the backers? I'd expect no, there's probably a limited liability clause. What it will do is cause some spectacular drama and hopefully some meltdowns.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

therobotking posted:

Active memory, probably. If I play Minecraft for about an hour and walk across several dozen chunks it manages to eat up up more than a gigabyte of RAM, while the 360 has something like 256MB across the whole system, and I don't think it has any kind of virtual memory. Get beyond a certain world size and you're going to be constantly churning the hard disk and still getting massive lag and pop-in problems.

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!
The only plus side is that since these guys are pretty early on, they will be cheap, cheap, cheap.

Unfortunately, I know all to well the hazards that amateurs can endure when in a big project. It will be a colossal disaster during development. That doesn't mean it won't be a good end product. It may just shave off a half-dozen years off the dev team's life.

EDIT
Am I the only one that noticed that he worked on Shenmue 2? He's isn't brand new. He went back to school.

Machismo fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
I just don't understand why they'd make a sandbox game inspired by Minecraft. I mean, I understand that It'll sell way too well, regardless of how good/bad it actually becomes, but what exactly is the concept that makes it different? The not-square aesthetic? Because that's been done before with many other things.

I just don't get it.

Phobophilia posted:

And you thought Notch was amateur? Yogventures will top it easily. This shall be a spectacular disaster.

It will be a multi-way trainwreck where the trains will all miraculously force themselves upwards, creating a skyscraper frame made of wrecked locomotion, stable enough to hold itself for a few beautiful seconds, but unstable enough for it to topple over onto a porta-john in-use.