Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Instant Sunrise posted:

FCP7 is not on the Mac App Store and must be updated via Software Update.

Right. I ended up grabbing the updates from Apple's Download site, and they installed ok. Then I realized that FCP X was magically installed, so I launched it, it updated itself to 10.0.4, and then proceeded to break FCP7. Thanks Apple!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Instant Sunrise posted:

FCP7 is not on the Mac App Store and must be updated via Software Update.

In Mountain Lion, those two vectors become one and the same.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

mayodreams posted:

Right. I ended up grabbing the updates from Apple's Download site, and they installed ok. Then I realized that FCP X was magically installed, so I launched it, it updated itself to 10.0.4, and then proceeded to break FCP7. Thanks Apple!
Don't run beta software in a production environment.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
So, a little bit of follow-up to my previous post about wake on LAN not working.

I reset the SMC, PRAM, used OnyX to clear the kernel and extension cache then reinstalled the 10.7.3 combo and it is now working.

ivy
Apr 4, 2009

You want to know my take on the title of the album? Billy and Jimmy always have this bad pun game, is what I call it. It's the bad pun game getting out of control. Embarrassing. Not the name. The name's not really embarrassing. Just the game.
Pillbug
Hope this isn't completely the wrong place to ask this, but my friend is an Apple employee, and she wants to sell a copy of Logic Pro she bought before she was hired by Apple. Is she allowed to do that?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are Apple employees somehow prohibited from selling personal possessions? I should imagine she would be fine, only because I can't believe something like that could be enforced.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Don't run beta software in a production environment.

This was on a development Mac Pro I have on my desk for testing new applications before putting them into production. I can restore an image to it in like 10 minutes, so it is no big deal to break something.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Did you file a bug report?

ivy
Apr 4, 2009

You want to know my take on the title of the album? Billy and Jimmy always have this bad pun game, is what I call it. It's the bad pun game getting out of control. Embarrassing. Not the name. The name's not really embarrassing. Just the game.
Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

Are Apple employees somehow prohibited from selling personal possessions? I should imagine she would be fine, only because I can't believe something like that could be enforced.

Yeah, I agree, but the reason it might be shady is because I think as part of her position she's entitled to a free copy of Logic Studio, which according to one of her superiors she's definitely not allowed to sell the download code for. Her selling her current copy amounts to the same thing effectively which is why she's worried.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

PxiePip posted:

Yeah, I agree, but the reason it might be shady is because I think as part of her position she's entitled to a free copy of Logic Studio, which according to one of her superiors she's definitely not allowed to sell the download code for. Her selling her current copy amounts to the same thing effectively which is why she's worried.

I would check the license terms, where's the first copy from? Did she buy it? Was it retail, or like a student copy or something?

ivy
Apr 4, 2009

Pillbug
She bought it, it's from before they moved Logic to the App Store, it's a boxed copy, it was most likely bought with a student discount though.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

PxiePip posted:

It sounds pretty different, actually. She's not selling the free copy Apple gave her as a perk to her employment, she's selling a copy she purchased herself prior to employment.

Edit: She could solve all this by asking her supervisor.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Did you file a bug report?

Not yet. I doubt Apple really cares about FCP7 not working though because they've made it clear to us that it is EOL and will not be updated anymore.

ivy
Apr 4, 2009

Pillbug
Yeah, that's what I think too, I'm just trying to get some backup - I'll persuade her to ask her supervisor but she's a little overcautious and thinks she'll get in trouble for some reason.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

PxiePip posted:

She bought it, it's from before they moved Logic to the App Store, it's a boxed copy, it was most likely bought with a student discount though.

I imagine if it's a boxed copy and she can prove she bought it before she gained employment with Apple then, while it might be called into question, she should be able to successfully navigate out of any trouble she might be in.

If she still has the receipt lying around somewhere then I bet she's golden.

If she isn't selling her download code it's unlikely that it'll be a problem. BUT I'm not a lawyer and honestly I bet someone in Apple's HR should be able to give her a yes or no answer on what she is allowed to sell in much better detail than anyone here.

ivy
Apr 4, 2009

Pillbug
Good call on finding a receipt just in case, that should alleviate some of her concerns. Thanks for your help :)

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Wake on LAN broken again. Maybe 10.7.4 will fix this. :(

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

mayodreams posted:

This was on a development Mac Pro I have on my desk for testing new applications before putting them into production. I can restore an image to it in like 10 minutes, so it is no big deal to break something.

This may be a very ignorant question, but what exactly are you testing before putting it into production here? Mountain Lion with FCP 7? ML as of right now is a developer preview, so the goal of Apple distributing this to developers is for them to test and adapt something they're developing. Even if ML dev preview 3 with the update we're currently on would have worked for FCP 7, you'd still have to test it with the GM version before any deployment. It's not ready to draw any conclusions from yet.

All that being said I'd highly doubt they're going to break a leg to support that old thing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm just guessing, but I'm pretty sure he's testing it on a whim, not because he's trying to put ML + FCP7 into production :)

I have a testing machine in my office that runs Win8, Mountain Lion, Lion Server, etc. I just enjoy loving around with different setups.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Although we are switching to either Avid or Adobe for our NLE next fall, we still need to have FCP in production for at least a year to accommodate upperclassmen. Apple is heavy handed with OS upgrades on new machines, so I would rather get a heads up on potential issues of running FCP7 on ML now than in August/Sept when I have zero time to test anything with our small purchasing window (3 weeks from when we can order and start of class) before getting new machines in and updating the rest.

I went back to make sure it wasn't another issue, and isolated it to the AJA Kona LHe drivers I installed to do a special project for a student this afternoon. Uninstalling the drivers allowed FCP7 to launch without an issue.

Edit: I have different installs on separate hard drives to simulate our 3 varied lab environments. I use it to test if an update to Pro Tools, FCP, Adobe, etc breaks poo poo before I update everything between academic sessions.

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 8, 2012

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

mayodreams posted:

Apple is heavy handed with OS upgrades on new machines,

I know that's probably pissing you off, but that's one of the things I love most about Apple:
That there's no way for some lame-rear end institutions to run their 1995 software on a 2001 OS like it is so commonplace on Windows PCs. Which then results in requirements to other people along the lines of "please send us 'doc' files to put on our Apache 1.3.x web server because we can't open the files in Office 2003, given that we've never heard of the Office add-ons for that task". At least no way to do that crap on new hardware.

Their philosophy may be a little bit extreme to you, which I understand, but I think it's for the better. And hey, there's always Windows.

mayodreams posted:

so I would rather get a heads up on potential issues of running FCP7 on ML now

My point was just that even if everything would be great now, there's no real guarantee that that will be the case on final version of ML.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
The window between ML's release and the start of a new academic year is so short, you're best sticking to Lion for the next academic year anyway. At least Lion will keep getting security updates until the OS after ML is out.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

flavor posted:

Their philosophy may be a little bit extreme to you, which I understand, but I think it's for the better. And hey, there's always Windows.

Their policy may work for consumers and some business, but it is unacceptable for enterprise use. Up until about a year and a half ago, we could still get XP on machines from CDW/Lenovo. Apple boned me last year with Lion and the Mac Mini upgrade because I had to put Lion machines into production with very little testing. They also did NOT play nice with a Snow Leopard Server Open Directory until after a couple of updates. I was able to back rev our new iMacs to SL via my images, but that only works until Apple updates hardware.

While I appreciate Apple wanting to push the envelope, that doesn't mean those of us who actually have to make Macs work love the idea of constantly doing new things that don't always work right at first. A perfect example is how Apple essentially killed Open Directory Server as it had existed for years for the Profile Manager in Lion Server, which requires signed certs that are a nightmare to create and configure. Instead of allowing you keep using the system you had, they completely cut it off and said gently caress you, use this new pile of poo poo that is buggy as hell and not ready for production. Oh, and Lion clients won't work with SL server out of the gate. That is just lovely implementation.

flavor posted:

My point was just that even if everything would be great now, there's no real guarantee that that will be the case on final version of ML.

I know what you are getting at. I know that beta software changes before release. But a LOT of Lion bugs persisted for a couple of releases. I felt that Lion was the buggiest 10.x.0 release aside from maybe 10.0 or 10.1. The Wi-Fi issue on my Mid 2011 MBA didn't really get fixed for about 6 months after it came out. In my personal opinion, Apple needs to focus more on making the Mac more refined than iOS right now because they are slipping.

wolffenstein posted:

The window between ML's release and the start of a new academic year is so short, you're best sticking to Lion for the next academic year anyway. At least Lion will keep getting security updates until the OS after ML is out.

All of my production machines save 2 Mac Mini's in classrooms are still running Snow Leopard, which has only been in service for almost 2 years now. For post-production, we typically do not go bleeding edge on the OS.

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 8, 2012

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

mayodreams posted:

Their policy may work for consumers and some business, but it is unacceptable for enterprise use. Up until about a year and a half ago, we could still get XP on machines from CDW/Lenovo.

What you said is what I mean in a nutshell. Microsoft has one paradigm/philosophy or whatever you want to call it and Apple has another. They both work for different types of people. What I don't like about Microsoft is that as long as they are dominant, they tend to hold back progress. XP means 32-bit (because XP 64 isn't really supported), which means up to 4GB, which means a lot of people never got more than that. (I know that's slowly going away.) I also don't think it's good for Windows that people will still have to make their software work on XP until 2016 or similar.

Apple is pretty much the opposite. I'm also pretty sure they've never really had the goal of being big in the enterprise market. Their philosophy is "we know better what's good for you", and in the case of most people, I agree they know better. People tend to want better horse carriages, not cars.

mayodreams posted:

Instead of allowing you keep using the system you had, they completely cut it off and said gently caress you, use this new pile of poo poo that is buggy as hell and not ready for production. Oh, and Lion clients won't work with SL server out of the gate. That is just lovely implementation.

Right. Their philosophy at work again. Don't use FCP7, use FCPX (I know that debate). Don't use SL with Lion etc. etc. because it may not be fully supported anymore after a while.

The alternative for Apple would be to have to support everything from OS 8 or so upward on 68k, PowerPC and Intel. It's just not their thing.

mayodreams posted:

I know what you are getting at. I know that beta software changes before release. But a LOT of Lion bugs persisted for a couple of releases. I felt that Lion was the buggiest 10.x.0 release aside from maybe 10.0 or 10.1. The Wi-Fi issue on my Mid 2011 MBA didn't really get fixed for about 6 months after it came out. In my personal opinion, Apple needs to focus more on making the Mac more refined than iOS right now because they are slipping.

Judging from what I've read over the years, there have always been some hardware and software issues like that, so I'm not seeing the big difference.

mayodreams posted:

All of my production machines save 2 Mac Mini's in classrooms are still running Snow Leopard, which has only been in service for almost 2 years now. For post-production, we typically do not go bleeding edge on the OS.

It's been out for nearly 3 years now (you may of course have put it in service one year after that) and Lion isn't bleeding edge in Apple terms.

I don't mean this at all in a dismissive way, but judging from your comments and the situation you're describing, I'd just move everything to Windows. What you're looking for just isn't really supported by Apple.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You don't see the difference between supporting Lion clients on SL servers out of the box and supporting OS 8 users on Mountain Lion servers?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have had a problem for some time with my old MBP where it takes like 30 seconds to connect to the internet after waking, and sometimes it connects to networks I specifically told it to ignore. Anyhow, I cloned it onto a 1 day old iMac and now I have the same BS happening there. It definitely wasn't a problem until I transferred. What the heck could be causing this?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

God Safari 5.2U3 is a buggy bit of software. If you're just wanting to use 5.2 beta for the built in omnibar then I suggest staying with U2.

U3 has a terrible visual glitch with the tabs that drives me nuts, and whenever I drag images out of Safari onto my desktop they now save as .webloc files instead of the original .gif/.jpg. I sure as gently caress hope that's not the new default behaviour because it literally breaks being able to drag images from Safari into Photoshop.

e: Yes, yes, I realize I brought this on myself by using beta software in "production".

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Martytoof posted:

U3 has a terrible visual glitch with the tabs that drives me nuts, and whenever I drag images out of Safari onto my desktop they now save as .webloc files instead of the original .gif/.jpg. I sure as gently caress hope that's not the new default behaviour because it literally breaks being able to drag images from Safari into Photoshop.

Got I hope that gets revered before System 10.8.
It would force me into another browser. :woz:

I might finally have to learn to use tabs!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well I filed a bug. If they come back and mark it as a WONTFIX: AS INTENDED then I guess I know I need to switch.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Do you normally use Safari or are you just having some beta fun?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

You don't see the difference between supporting Lion clients on SL servers out of the box and supporting OS 8 users on Mountain Lion servers?

You're twisting what I said around. One issue was the support of really old OS versions in general, the other is what kind of combinations they fully support, which is not the same issue.

I'm also not defending what they did in that case as great (and it was probably unintentional), but just said that it fits with their philosophy to not care too much about that.

Microsoft is all about continuity: Their OS had a slow evolution over the years and the main architecture they support has been the same line since MS-DOS 1.0.

Over a little bit less than the same amount of time, Apple has had three mutually incompatible processor architectures and two fundamentally different types of operating systems.

It's just obvious from that alone which of the two companies is more concerned with the enterprise and continuity.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

Do you normally use Safari or are you just having some beta fun?

I started using safari when I got my iPad to sync bookmarks through iCloud. Before then I ran Chrome. I'm using the beta now because it has the nice "omnibar" without needing to use some kind of SIMBL plugin.

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust

Martytoof posted:

I started using safari when I got my iPad to sync bookmarks through iCloud. Before then I ran Chrome. I'm using the beta now because it has the nice "omnibar" without needing to use some kind of SIMBL plugin.
You can use xmarks, which would sync Chrome bookmarks with Safari, which would in turn sync them with your iPad. As for an omnibar, the safarikeywordsearch extension will allow you to search from the address bar, without using a SIMBL plugin.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Does Safari unload web pages from memory for a given reason or something?

I'll get times where every tab I click on, the page gets reloaded. It's annoying. Is it not loading them in the background when I open pages in a new tab?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

fleshweasel posted:

It's nothing new that Apple doesn't care about backwards compatibility in most cases. It shouldn't surprise anyone specializing in Macs that a client and server OSes of different versions aren't compatible with each other.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

flavor posted:

I also don't think it's good for Windows that people will still have to make their software work on XP until 2016 or similar.

They don't have to. There have been a number of high profile games that do not work on XP like Battlefield 3. The world is moving away from XP because Microsoft got their head out of their asses and finally shipped a major version of windows (Vista) 6 years afterwords. Since then, they have put out Windows 7 two years after Vista, and are poised to deliver Windows 8 this year, again 2 years after the last major release. The reason XP is sticking around is that some businesses have custom apps that only run on a 16/32bit OS, use older hardware (parallel/serial), or the like. Microsoft has even addressed the old software problem with the XP mode in Win 7 Pro/Ent. Their MO is not to bend over backwards and support everything back to Win98 as you suggest.

flavor posted:

Apple is pretty much the opposite. I'm also pretty sure they've never really had the goal of being big in the enterprise market.

Every event/keynote for the last couple of years Apple has banged on about how much penetration they are getting in enterprise with iOS devices. Where iOS goes, the Mac will follow it. While Apple has stepped up Exchange and AD support in SL and especially Lion, they bungled Profile Manager which is necessary for group policy.

flavor posted:

The alternative for Apple would be to have to support everything from OS 8 or so upward on 68k, PowerPC and Intel. It's just not their thing.

This is so extreme I think you are just trolling now. They supported PPC Macs for almost 4 years after they stopped selling them.

flavor posted:

Judging from what I've read over the years, there have always been some hardware and software issues like that, so I'm not seeing the big difference.

I know this is :siren: PERSONAL EXPERIENCE :siren: but I've run every release of the Mac OS since 7.1. With OS X, I even bought public beta and used that until 10.0 came out, and I never looked back at the classic Mac OS. So I can uniquely comment on the progression of Mac OS release from both personal, and for the last 5 years, professional experience. The 'big difference' as you put it is that you don't have a choice once Apple decides to put new hardware out and change the OS. Many professional applications like Avid Media Composer and Pro Tools do not qualify even point releases for months after a release. So if you bought a Mac after an OS switch like last summer, you would be locked out of your applications until your vendor updates the software. And for Apple, this is a very arbitrary decision as obviously the hardware is supported in the older OS, they just don't want it to happen. I'd love for them to put it in a tech note and let professionals like me back rev things without making it clear to the general public you can do that. Like I mentioned before, I had show stopping Wi-FI bug on my personal MBA that probably wouldn't have existed on SL.

flavor posted:

I don't mean this at all in a dismissive way, but judging from your comments and the situation you're describing, I'd just move everything to Windows. What you're looking for just isn't really supported by Apple.

Well, in the real world, there are many other things to consider than just flippant ideas based on pure speculation. I'd love to move everything to Windows, but I've got 50 video and audio workstations, and there is no way we can update those in even 3 budget cycles. Never mind the fact that the faculty are STAUNCHLY against anything to do with Windows, so I have a political problem too. Having a mix of Mac and Windows workstations creates headaches for students using personal hard drives (they are required to) because what file system do you use? FAT32 is right out and so is NTFS. That leaves ExFAT, but that is slow as poo poo, and still doesn't support big enough files, or using Mac Drive or something similar on Windows, but that has it's own instability issues.

I suggest you leave the arm chair sys admin game because it is clear you have no idea what you are talking about at this point.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bob Morales posted:

Does Safari unload web pages from memory for a given reason or something?

I'll get times where every tab I click on, the page gets reloaded. It's annoying. Is it not loading them in the background when I open pages in a new tab?

If it says like "Safari needed to reload these tabs" I think something crashed in a related process (either Flash or the Web Content plugin); I have that issue occasionally but not too often.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

computer parts posted:

If it says like "Safari needed to reload these tabs" I think something crashed in a related process (either Flash or the Web Content plugin); I have that issue occasionally but not too often.

I'll keep an eye on it. I don't even half Flash installed.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cockwhore posted:

You can use xmarks, which would sync Chrome bookmarks with Safari, which would in turn sync them with your iPad. As for an omnibar, the safarikeywordsearch extension will allow you to search from the address bar, without using a SIMBL plugin.

I gave Xmarks a try and had some pretty lame experiences. I actually don't remember off the top of my head exactly what they were right this second, but I think it was something about xmarks stopping working and me having to go poke it awake in the prefpane or something.

I appreciate the answer, but I'm pretty sure I looked into all these and basically found them lacking in one way or another so I switched to Safari. I actually loved the Safari experience until U3, at which point it's unfair of me to criticize the browser since it's a beta product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

mayodreams posted:

They don't have to. There have been a number of high profile games that do not work on XP like Battlefield 3.
That's going to make such a splash in the "enterprise" world. There were also one or two Vista-only games when Vista came out. It didn't keep these guys from keeping on trucking.

mayodreams posted:

The world is moving away from XP because Microsoft got their head out of their asses and finally shipped a major version of windows (Vista) 6 years afterwords. Since then, they have put out Windows 7 two years after Vista, and are poised to deliver Windows 8 this year, again 2 years after the last major release.
For labeling others as trolls and people who don't know what they're talking about, you're not very straight on your facts: SL to Lion was 2 years. Vista came out 5 years after XP. 7 came 3 years after Vista and 8 will be 3 years after 7 (if indeed it will come out this year).

mayodreams posted:

The reason XP is sticking around is that some businesses have custom apps that only run on a 16/32bit OS, use older hardware (parallel/serial), or the like. Microsoft has even addressed the old software problem with the XP mode in Win 7 Pro/Ent. Their MO is not to bend over backwards and support everything back to Win98 as you suggest.
Selling computers with XP, a ten year old OS (at that point) in 2011 as you described counts as bending over backwards to me, at least when compared to Apple. I'm not seeing them supporting OS X 10.1 Puma (also from 2001) or delivering current OS versions with a VM for it.

mayodreams posted:

Every event/keynote for the last couple of years Apple has banged on about how much penetration they are getting in enterprise with iOS devices. Where iOS goes, the Mac will follow it. While Apple has stepped up Exchange and AD support in SL and especially Lion, they bungled Profile Manager which is necessary for group policy.
But look at the causality: At least in the stories I've seen published, iOS adoption didn't follow the availability of enterprise software. People (management and others) got the iPhone first and then asked for support.

mayodreams posted:

This is so extreme I think you are just trolling now. They supported PPC Macs for almost 4 years after they stopped selling them.
Vintage is 5, obsolete is 7. So the hardware was supported even longer. And yeah, saying something in clear terms is trolling.

mayodreams posted:

I know this is :siren: PERSONAL EXPERIENCE :siren: but I've run every release of the Mac OS since 7.1.
Hey not bad, the first I ran on my own Mac was 7.0.

mayodreams posted:

The 'big difference' as you put it is that you don't have a choice once Apple decides to put new hardware out and change the OS. Many professional applications like Avid Media Composer and Pro Tools do not qualify even point releases for months after a release.
So if you bought a Mac after an OS switch like last summer, you would be locked out of your applications until your vendor updates the software. And for Apple, this is a very arbitrary decision as obviously the hardware is supported in the older OS, they just don't want it to happen.
I love these makers of behemoth software that can't update their poo poo because they're checking OS version strings, aren't using the OSs APIs, or whatever else. And it's not arbitrary what Apple does: OS X really needed patches to work with Sandy Bridge and I've read similar things about Ivy Bridge. It would certainly have been possible to add these patches to previous versions of OS X, but that's not what Apple does.

mayodreams posted:

I'd love for them to put it in a tech note and let professionals like me back rev things without making it clear to the general public you can do that. Like I mentioned before, I had show stopping Wi-FI bug on my personal MBA that probably wouldn't have existed on SL.
Right, I'm not saying bugs like that don't exist. What I am saying is that my impression is that Apple isn't worse than Microsoft in that regard.

mayodreams posted:

Well, in the real world,
My world isn't real because I don't go with every bullshit from superiors.

mayodreams posted:

there are many other things to consider than just flippant ideas based on pure speculation.
Summing up what Apple has done over the years and extrapolating that into the future is "pure speculation".

mayodreams posted:

I'd love to move everything to Windows, but I've got 50 video and audio workstations, and there is no way we can update those in even 3 budget cycles. Never mind the fact that the faculty are STAUNCHLY against anything to do with Windows, so I have a political problem too. Having a mix of Mac and Windows workstations creates headaches for students using personal hard drives (they are required to) because what file system do you use? FAT32 is right out and so is NTFS. That leaves ExFAT, but that is slow as poo poo, and still doesn't support big enough files, or using Mac Drive or something similar on Windows, but that has it's own instability issues.

I suggest you leave the arm chair sys admin game because it is clear you have no idea what you are talking about at this point.
To sum it up: You're working for an institution that has unrealistic and unreasonable expectations, you're white-knighting all their poo poo and asking for seconds.

Additionally, from my side, this was a conversation about general observations and principles of what Apple and Microsoft do and how that fits with the staunchly conservative "enterprise" world. That this wouldn't necessarily solve all your organizational problems, particularly because you hadn't posted everything here, was clear from the beginning. I'm sure you have lots more unposted reasons to stay with your miserable setup.

You are working for an organization with issues that I wouldn't even want to work for if everything was on Windows already.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 9, 2012