Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Strong World is also the only movie that's cannon, so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Strong World is also the only movie besides 6 that's any good.

And let me tell you, Movie 6 is absolutely fantastic.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I ordered the Alabasta movie off Amazon and then threw it away after watching it once. It's pretty bad. You just can't condense that entire arc into 90 minutes.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cerebral Bore posted:

Strong World is also the only movie besides 6 that's any good.

Are you saying Dead End Adventure isn't any good?

Cause that's a very wrong statement to make.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The drum island movie isn't terrible, just sort of redundant unless you really want four minutes of Franky dicking around in snow.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Endorph posted:

The drum island movie isn't terrible, just sort of redundant unless you really want four minutes of Franky dicking around in snow.

Maybe you haven't been paying attention, but Franky is best of all when dicking around in the snow.

No but seriously, that movie is pretty terrible.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Are the strong world anime build up episodes worth the watch? I originally skipped those since I didn't really about the movie.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ulio posted:

Are the strong world anime build up episodes worth the watch? I originally skipped those since I didn't really about the movie.

They are pretty terrible and have an annoying filler kid.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Ulio posted:

Nah, theres an Episode 0 that is a little prequel with Garp and Sengoku thats pretty rad though.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

IShallRiseAgain posted:

They are pretty terrible and have an annoying filler kid.

Annoying filler kid was annoying but giant filler beetle was pretty cool. I mean, his name is "Boss." Can't get much cooler than that :c00lbert:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also it has pretty awesome/hilariously stereotypical Mexican pirates. Like, their ship is literally a cactus submarine, they wear ponchos and sombreros, and have colossal handlebar moustaches.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

KoB posted:

Nah, theres an Episode 0 that is a little prequel with Garp and Sengoku thats pretty rad though.

There's a loving what now?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Maxmaps posted:

There's a loving what now?

A reason to think Strong World is canon.

bondster
May 6, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

A reason to think Strong World is canon.

They also made an animated version of it for those who still want to not read the manga :eng101:

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

:ughh: Really Oda? While less creepy than most anime I expect more from you.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

What is funny about that is that Jinbe is telling this story to Luffy and the others. It must be pretty awkward when he says that line.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I just took it as a comment on how hosed up Vander Decken is.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Loanarn posted:

While I'm not about to argue that Oda is a feminist or anything, that's a line uttered by a creepy villain and authors are not their characters. :eng101: Otherwise the existence of Akainu would be far more worrisome than Decken.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Loanarn posted:

I don't remember if that was in the manga or not, but Oda doesn't really have control of the anime, right?

bondster
May 6, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't remember if that was in the manga or not, but Oda doesn't really have control of the anime, right?

The scene is in the manga, but the line in it is that "with an extra ten to twenty years on her and she'd grow into a proper beauty.". However the mental image was added by the anime team.

EDIT: Queen Otohime's death was really well done.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
Please tell me this episode made some of you cry too so I feel like less of a loser.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Cross-posting from the manga thread, a Fake Luffy version of We Were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71sek1kl4pI

:allears:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I know I'm supposed to suspend some of my belief, but I found a lot of her death silly.

First off, you can just recollect the signatures. It's not like people wouldn't redo all the signatures, those kids even had their second versions filled out.

Second off, how hard is it to put out a fire when you live 10,000 meters under the sea?

And lastly, why do they even need the signatures? I guess the World Government wanted them, but when has that ever been a democracy?

I guess all those details aren't very important, but they bothered me.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

I know I'm supposed to suspend some of my belief, but I found a lot of her death silly.

First off, you can just recollect the signatures. It's not like people wouldn't redo all the signatures, those kids even had their second versions filled out.

Second off, how hard is it to put out a fire when you live 10,000 meters under the sea?

And lastly, why do they even need the signatures? I guess the World Government wanted them, but when has that ever been a democracy?

I guess all those details aren't very important, but they bothered me.

For her it was never about the actual signatures, but about the hardships she and her people went through to obtain them. Asking people to resign is like asking people to relive their horrible past.

That section of town is above their "sea level" and fairly isolated from water (Hence all the mermaids in the scene using the bubble tubes).

The signatures were proof the fishmen were willing to live above ground to the world government. Also, the signatures represented the queen's hard work, passion, and connection to the people.

On a side note, I also thought her death scene was fantastic. A little heavy handed on the symbolism (3 princes, 3 flaming boxes, etc, etc) but overall paced well and certainly a stylistic take on the art.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Tarodia posted:

Please tell me this episode made some of you cry too so I feel like less of a loser.

I keep thinking it should be impossible with One Piece's iconic ridiculous faces, but I'll be damned if I didn't lose it when the whole loving family is forcing themselves to smile while standing over their dying mother. poo poo was heart-breaking.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

New Episode is up.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

D1Sergo posted:

I keep thinking it should be impossible with One Piece's iconic ridiculous faces, but I'll be damned if I didn't lose it when the whole loving family is forcing themselves to smile while standing over their dying mother. poo poo was heart-breaking.

I must be racist since I found it terrifying when those fish monsters were doing that.

And Hordy must have shot the queen. It seems like the obvious move to me.

bondster
May 6, 2007

That was an unusually well animated episode considering there was no almost no action in the episode.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

bondster posted:

That was an unusually well animated episode considering there was no almost no action in the episode.

The animation team loving loves that big goofy muppet face of Jinbei's. They went all out on his face during the war, too.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
What was the music playing when Fukaboshi gave his speech during the funeral? I completely forgot the name of it.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

New Episode is up.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
This is pretty late, but I kind of like Luffy's new open red blouse with yellow sash outfit. Amazon Lilly did a good job with that one.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

That was a very interestingly animated episode. They definitely played around a lot more with the visuals this episode.

I'm kind of hoping Brook could kind of show off more and earn his place among the legendary Strawhats, but he's just kind of a weak Zorro right now. After his two year training, he was defeated by a single kick and a punch. I guess it was supposed to be for comedic effect more than an evaluation of his skill. At least he's funny.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Shadow0 posted:

That was a very interestingly animated episode. They definitely played around a lot more with the visuals this episode.

I'm kind of hoping Brook could kind of show off more and earn his place among the legendary Strawhats, but he's just kind of a weak Zorro right now. After his two year training, he was defeated by a single kick and a punch. I guess it was supposed to be for comedic effect more than an evaluation of his skill. At least he's funny.

That cracked me up so much. Especially Zoro's "Nice, Brook."

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
That was the bro-est high five in the universe.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I guess nothing happened? Aside from Brook doing some stuff the episode was basically - Luffy vs Jimbei!!! Some resolution... no wait! Luffy vs Jimbei!!! Though, I guess it was entertaining... Especially since Sanji got what was coming.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Welp, Brook is the best again.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Yeah, nothing really happened. I was looking forward to some action and Luffy punching Jinbei to a pulp but I guess I was taking it bit too seriously :haw:

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
I just realized that Megalo is saying "Shark! Shaaaark!" :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Judging by the upcoming episode titles I wouldn't expect any real fighting to start happening until July