Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Henry Meowlins posted:

So Nilish Prasad is basically the puppet master behind all of this, according to an update. He started dating Sarah when she was in junior high and he in high school. Here's an actual picture of the two of them from 2010 (source is deadspin)

So even the pictures that she now says are "really her" are fake. I really doubt she has even been the primary author of anything at this point.
She was dating BJ Penn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Frot Lesnar posted:

She was dating BJ Penn?

them foreigners all look alike lol

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Voodoofly posted:

I'm pretty sure Donald Sterling would have a bone to pick with that article.

Marge Schott trumps them all, calling her players "million dollar n---ers" back in the early 90s.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

seiferguy posted:

Marge Schott trumps them all, calling her players "million dollar n---ers" back in the early 90s.
That was the mid 1980's. In the early 90's she was busy sticking up for Hitler.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Just the loving headline from Ian O'Connor's latest column will make you want to barf:

quote:

Mo chased ball like he chased dream: Injured Mo was being Mo, going after what he wanted with child's enthusiasm

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

quote:

That's why outfielders want to be infielders in BP, why infielders throw curveballs and knuckleballs on the side, and why Rivera has spent his entire baseball life using his easy, athletic grace to track fly balls near big league walls.

Only this time, Rivera's right knee blew up, he crashed into the wall and collapsed in a heap. He grabbed his knee as his face tightened into an unruly knot, betraying the pain and fear.

Uhhh

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Henry Meowlins posted:

So even the pictures that she now says are "really her" are fake. I really doubt she has even been the primary author of anything at this point.
That makes more sense to me, honestly. Nothing in her story really added up.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I can't believe it took this long for Mushnick to be brought up in this thread. I figured he'd say something like that about Jay-Z after he once chastised Obama for having Jay-Z on his ipod

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/let_clean_up_the_president_ipod_CFSsjMm2SHIwSnb6V65dJL

Also, he did a bad job defending himself concerning what he said

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/05/phil_mushnick_o.php

The thing about him is that if you've seen one column by him, you've seen them all. He holds grudges that lasts years. Goddamn is he repetitive

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 5, 2012

Nomad
Jan 21, 2008
Are you still there?
Who the gently caress is Eric Wilbur?

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/wilbur/2012/05/gonzalez_the_pe.html?comments=all#readerComm[/url]

Good snippets:

Really, who is this guy posted:

For the second time in a week, Gonzalez's failure to come through in the clutch spoke volumes about the man's charisma.

One has to wonder if he ever really mentally got here. He's totally unprepared for what it means to be a team leader in a place like Boston.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

quote:

One has to wonder if he ever really mentally got here. He's totally unprepared for what it means to be a team leader in a place like Boston.

Meaning: If you're not a white guy, prepare to be hated.

edit: That article has some excellent comments though.

quote:

Wilbur you suck. If I buy you a plane ticket, will you head to sunny San Diego? Did you steal this article out of Dan Shaughnessy's trash can? I hope you're gone long before Gonzalez.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
drat, beaten to a Dan Shaughnessy crack by an Internet commenter. He's totally right, though.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Vertical Lime posted:

I can't believe it took this long for Mushnick to be brought up in this thread. I figured he'd say something like that about Jay-Z after he once chastised Obama for having Jay-Z on his ipod

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/let_clean_up_the_president_ipod_CFSsjMm2SHIwSnb6V65dJL

Also, he did a bad job defending himself concerning what he said

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/05/phil_mushnick_o.php

The thing about him is that if you've seen one column by him, you've seen them all. He holds grudges that lasts years. Goddamn is he repetitive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPCnl0sXcKM

Forgot to link this the first time around.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Toffile posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPCnl0sXcKM

Forgot to link this the first time around.

I'm not a wrestling fan really, but that's pretty great.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Michael Wilbon wrote an article about Chicago's reputation as a cursed sports town, which is a reputation I was never aware of:
http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/7900380/injuries-chicago-bulls-derrick-rose-chicago-bears-jay-cutler-enhance-city-legend-curses

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Alpha3KV posted:

Michael Wilbon wrote an article about Chicago's reputation as a cursed sports town, which is a reputation I was never aware of:
http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/7900380/injuries-chicago-bulls-derrick-rose-chicago-bears-jay-cutler-enhance-city-legend-curses
A town which just won the Stanley Cup 2 years ago and the World Series 7 years ago is cursed guys. Never mind our 6 NBA titles in the 90s.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Michael Wilbon is a piece of poo poo that wanted the Bears to trade Jay Cutler (literally the best QB in the history of the franchise) because he didn't have the "Soul of Chicago" to play on a busted MCL.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Alpha3KV posted:

Only in his head the town is cursed.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Harlock posted:

A town which just won the Stanley Cup 2 years ago and the World Series 7 years ago is cursed guys. Never mind our 6 NBA titles in the 90s.

I didn't read the article, but the only cursed team is the Cubs. It is silly to claim that Chicago won a world series 7 years ago because the White Sox winning was pretty much the worst thing to happen to Cubs fans. Everyone does forget that until 2005, the White Sox and Cubs had the two longest championship droughts in all of American professional sports (Red Sox fans are infinitely louder).

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Hey guys, I'm pretty sure Pittsburgh is cursed, the Pirates are bad and they don't even HAVE a basketball team, what a loving curse!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

R.D. Mangles posted:

I didn't read the article, but the only cursed team is the Cubs. It is silly to claim that Chicago won a world series 7 years ago because the White Sox winning was pretty much the worst thing to happen to Cubs fans. Everyone does forget that until 2005, the White Sox and Cubs had the two longest championship droughts in all of American professional sports (Red Sox fans are infinitely louder).

He bases the town being cursed on the last six months and Cutler/Rose injuries.

Yeah.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Even as a Cub fan, he's still invoking this year's clubs as not good enough to break out of this (1 1/2 year) 'Championship Funk', so in the context of the article, the White Sox winning would still be considered a 'good' thing for the city.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mornacale posted:

Hey guys, I'm pretty sure Pittsburgh is cursed, the Pirates are bad and they don't even HAVE a basketball team, what a loving curse!

Pittsburgh actively supports a rapist and has a massive PSU bleed over.

Yeah, its cursed.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

If Chicago is cursed, what does that make Cleveland?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Crazy Ted posted:

If Chicago is cursed, what does that make Cleveland?

Gomorrah.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Toffile posted:

Gomorrah.
Which city is Sodom?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Crazy Ted posted:

Which city is Sodom?
Happy Valley

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Groucho Marxist posted:

Happy Valley
Very nice :golfclap:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mornacale posted:

I have always felt that God just wants us to reign in the local sports fans' egos with the Pirates. When 2008-2009 happened, God got pissed that he couldn't bring us down so that is why all our teams are suffering with heart breaking disappointment.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
What do you guys think of BuzzFeed's new(ish) sports section

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdDMrncAy4U

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Twin Cinema posted:

What do you guys think of BuzzFeed's new(ish) sports section

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdDMrncAy4U
Are we talking better or worse than when TMZ tried to have a Deadspin-lite sports section?

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
I'm not even gonna link to it, but TJ Simers wrote a hatchet job on Magic Johnson correcting himself about the absolutely miniscule role Frank McCourt will have with the new club. Simers said Johnson was either stupid or deliberately misguiding the press.

That's I think 3 black people (counting Andruw Jones) he has needlessly and baselessly insulted in the last four years.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Grantland has a fantastic article on Greg Oden. I'm not spoiling anything, just read it.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7908766/a-rare-interview-former-no-1-overall-pick-greg-oden-injury-plagued-career

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Benne posted:

Grantland has a fantastic article on Greg Oden. I'm not spoiling anything, just read it.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7908766/a-rare-interview-former-no-1-overall-pick-greg-oden-injury-plagued-career

Basically required reading for anyone who considers themselves a Blazers fan.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

EdRush posted:

Basically required reading for anyone who considers themselves a Blazers fan.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
You may have heard of You Can Play. You probably thought this was a good, even necessary initiative. Well, David Menzies is here to tell you that he sees through the bullshit.

You Can't Hide Behind the Gay Flag, Brian Burke

quote:

Question: When do you know that a public figure really needs a P.R. boost?

Answer: When that person wraps himself in the rainbow flag.

Case in point: Toronto Maple Leafs GM/bully Brian Burke -- who endeavours (and sometimes succeeds) in getting commentators fired when he doesn't care for their opinions -- is part of an anti-homophobia public service announcement entitled, "You Can Play."

The debut of the spot comes on the heels of a very brutal few weeks for Burke, after he failed to make a significant deal at the trading deadline and then met his Waterloo in trying to get Don Cherry fired from Coach's Corner. (Sorry, Burkie -- you taking on hockey icon Cherry is akin to the Thornhill Selects taking on the Detroit Red Wings.)

So, what does Burke do to bolster his tarnished image? He rolls out an anti-homophobia campaign on the premise that his son, Brendan -- who tragically died in a car accident in 2010 -- was gay.

Surely, anyone being bullied for any reason is wrong -- whether that person is too fat, too nerdy, too freckle-faced -- you name it.

Yet, in the anti-bullying biz these days, it seems there's a subtext that the very worst sort of bullying is the kind that is perpetrated against homosexuals.

But why? Is it not equally repugnant to bully a gay kid as it is to bully a red-headed kid? Surely all forms of bullying are vile and should be eradicated.

However, when it comes to optics, a sure-fire way to get an image makeover is by latching on to a gay cause. And it seems to be working for Burke, who is being roundly applauded for his feel-good initiative -- even though I'm unaware of a scintilla of evidence that any professional or amateur hockey player has ever been discriminated against or targeted due to his sexual orientation.

So, what gives?

My guess is that Burke has learned a lesson from potty-mouth Sean Avery. This is the ex-New York Ranger who allegedly mocked ex-Leaf Jason Blake about having cancer. Avery also referred to his ex-girlfriend, actress Elisha Cuthbert, as "sloppy seconds" when Dion Phaneuf started dating her.

Avery needed a PR makeover too. So what did he do? He claimed that during a fight with Wayne Simmonds of the Philadelphia Flyers, Simmonds used a homophobic slur.
(Oh, the horror! Apparently, in the NHL, players can use each other as punching bags until the ice turns crimson with blood, but for God's sake, nobody should utter a slur while releasing haymakers.)

Milking the gay angle for all it's worth, Avery went on to state how he was pro-gay marriage; what this has to do with the pursuit of pucks is beyond me.

But there was a very unhappy epilogue to the Avery story. Damien Goddard of Rogers Sportsnet had the temerity to tweet that he supported traditional marriage. A few days later, Goddard was terminated.

It's all so perversely ironic. For decades, the gay community has (rightfully) asked for more understanding and more tolerance. Yet it appears that tolerance is apparently a one-way street. If someone has problems with gay matrimony, that isn't a matter of having a differing viewpoint. Rather, it's apparently just cause for termination.

In fact, the whole gay issue seems to be less about equal rights and more about special rights these days. Case in point: at the Pride parade, numerous revellers go completely naked. Last time I checked, going au natural on city streets was against the law. Yet, is anyone ever charged with public indecency? Nope. But just try marching in the buff at the St. Patrick's Day parade and see what happens.

Sean Avery and Brian Burke are two peas in a pod in that they are both thoroughly unsavoury characters. But it's abundantly clear that the first step toward remaking one's image as Mr. Nice Guy is reinventing oneself as an advocate for gay causes.

I'll have to remember that next time I get into some hot water. I've even got a whiz-bang slogan: "If it's good, it's gay; and if it's gay, it's good."

Really the whole thing could be bolded but I tried to get the best parts.

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

Hand Knit posted:

You may have heard of You Can Play. You probably thought this was a good, even necessary initiative. Well, David Menzies is here to tell you that he sees through the bullshit.

You Can't Hide Behind the Gay Flag, Brian Burke

Really the whole thing could be bolded but I tried to get the best parts.
This guy also boycotted the Grey Cup because they use Metric Yards. I want to believe that he's bad on purpose, but...hmmm.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
It's David Menzies, he's a buffoon, a hack and one of the most marginal people on Sun News Net, a station that draws ratings so low they're not even recorded. Instead of reading his trash, go read Chemmy's takedown on Pension Plan Puppets.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

zakharov posted:

Wow.

Where is this gem from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wow.

Where is this gem from?

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/05/17/high-school-sports-reporter-in-louisiana-wins-the-day-with-this-excerpt/

Somebody doesn't want a career in journalism anymore.