Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

Looks like our civilians are fine, thank god for the capitalist spirit!
To: Councilor Puistokemisti, Councilor Lord Windy, UNIN BuPers
Re: UN Geological Survey Team(s)

I will make sure that the UNMS Leeds is ready once you are, lets get this solar system explored propper. Remember to bring the cameras so we can give the Feds a taste of their own medicine.

To: Councilor Puistokemisti, UN Dept. of Transportation
Re: Mine Destinations

We'll get my friends at the McKiernan Corp to ship those, since the Leeds will be busy shipping the Geo survey team all over space and the York is being refitted.
Remember to include the mass drivers on the moon contract!

To: UN Dept. of Transportation
Re: Mass Drivers and ISS Orders

Once the Mass drivers for Mars and Venus are ready, I want either the Leeds or the York to ship them to their respective planets once they are ready for it.

The ISS is to start retooling to the Lictor-B right now, once thats done we will expand it to 20,000 tons and build another slipway.

DoT Standing Orders:
1. UNMS Leeds will ship the Geo survey team around when they are ready
2. Place an order to get those mines to the moon as suggested by DoT, remeber to include the moon mass driver
3. Use our own freighters to move the Mars and Venus mass drivers once they are ready
4. Retool the IIS to Lictor-B and expand it to 20,000 once retooling is complete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

TO: ALL PERSONNEL, MISSILE COMPLEX 020 ("ATAHUALPA")

I have requested UNIN/MC designate Missile Complex 020 "Atahualpa" to celebrate the rich history of our surroundings.

The recent training exercises went well; response time to simulated Red Menace thuggery dropped by 3% and simulated casualties were only 86.4%! You are all to be commended; leave time for the next cycle is extended by 18 minutes starting Wednesday. Review your exercise notes (in your PDA) for further details and specific correction regimens.

Training notes:

* Launch bay door clearance checks MUST be completed EXACTLY as specified; backpacks clogged launch tubes 6B and 10D for over 30 minutes and this is unacceptable.

* Safety line procedures are NOT OPTIONAL no matter what you see the locals doing; in addition, any personnel holding a belief in unassisted flight and desiring to test same should report to Medical.

* Launch success criteria have been tightened up: manually pushing the missile off the launch platform does not count as "departure from complex" for all purposes. The crew of tube 7E ("Pepikrankenitz") are commended for their initiative and zeal and ordered to retrieve all four missiles "launched" in this way before 1900 tomorrow.

CMDR Tolan

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...
CO of the 64th LTA
TO: Spacebook Contacts

So it looks like I have been reassigned once again. Coming up with new names for these divisions just seems pointless since they're all going to be disbanded in favor of new TNE battalions eventually anyway. Wait, that gives me an idea. The 64th LTA will now be known as The Disband of Brothers. And now on to more important matters.

Something has been bothering me about the maps we've been getting of the Solar System but I could never put my finger on it until now. All the planets seem to be going backwards. They're all revolving clockwise, what's going on?! Unless we're looking at things from the south but who in their right mind would do that? I think it's much more likely that this is part of some conniving commie conspiracy. To what end, I don't know. But rest assured I'll not rest until the planets move counterclockwise again.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
UN, 30th August 2027

The hastily assembled UNGS Mars Survey Team boards the UNMS Leeds, along with Civ Admin A RICH WHITE MAN. The Leeds will stopover briefly at the Tranquility colony to deliver Mr. A RICH WHITE MAN, then proceed to Mars to deliver the geological survey team before returning to Earth. It is a testament to the revolutionary nature of Trans-Newtonian physics that this journey, which would have been a tremendous undertaking lasting up to a year or more, will be completed in just over three days.

UN, 18th September 2027

The UNS Panner, the first military-rated spacecraft of the United Nations Interplanetary Navy, is commissioned after leaving the Versailles Naval Shipyard. Her commander and initial survey destination are yet to be determined.

To: Councilor Lord Windy, Councilor Puistokemisti
Re: Command Candidates for UNS Panner

Sirs, please find attached a list of UNIN officers with a background in geological survey. Unfortunately, most of these officers are already involved in UNGS survey teams. Of the listed candidates, only CAPT Veazey (FHQ Survey Officer), CMDR Jaramr (FHQ Intel Officer), and CMDRs Stokes and Maeko are available for the posting. There are of course quite a few more officers available without any survey background.

Industry

Mining

A single mine has been delivered by the civvies to Tranquility, but more are on the way.

Shipyards

Versailles's slipway is now empty. ISS is tooling for the Lictor-class (which I forgot to do for 19 in-game days, sorry). Versailles is expanding. I need a commander for the UNS Panner and orders for it.

Research

Research directives are unchanged since last time.

Ship Maintenance

Ships in Aurora require maintenance, or else they break down. There are several components to the Aurora maintenance system. Now that we have a ship subject to these rules, it's time you learned about them.

Commercial vs. Military

One of the most important distinctions between military and commercial craft is that a commercial vessel with at least one engineering space does not require maintenance. The following systems count as "commercial" and will not flag a craft as military.
  • Active and passive sensors of 1 HS or less
  • Armour (including thickness > 1 because a commercial vessel may be intended to operate within a nebula)
  • Bridge
  • Cargo Handling Systems
  • Cargo Holds
  • Commercial Engines
  • Crew Quarters
  • Cryogenic Transport Modules
  • Engineering Spaces (only one is necessary but more could be mounted for repairs)
  • Fuel Storage (even a LOT of fuel storage as engine type will determine the military usefulness of a tanker)
  • Geological Survey Instruments
  • Jump Drives
  • Jump Gate Construction Module
  • Mining Modules
  • Salvage Modules
  • Sorium Harvesters
  • Terraforming Modules
  • Tractor Beams
  • Troop Transport Modules

The following ship systems are military and
will flag a ship as military.
  • Active sensors larger than 1 HS.
  • Beam Weapons
  • Cloak
  • Combat Drop Module
  • Damage Control
  • ECM / ECCM
  • Fast Attack Engine
  • Fighter Engine
  • Fire Controls
  • Flag Bridge
  • Gravitational Survey Instruments
  • Hangar Bays
  • Magazine
  • Maintenance Module
  • Maintenance Storage Bay
  • Military Engine
  • Missile Launchers
  • Passive Sensors larger than 1 HS
  • Reactors
  • Shields

There may be items that are incorrect or missing, because this list is pretty old.

Failure Rates

A ship's annual failure rate is it's tonnage / 100 for every year since its last overhaul. This is modified by the percentage of the ship devoted to engineering spaces. The modifier is equal to (4% / ship engineering space percentage). This means a ship with 4% of its displacement devoted to engineering spaces has no increased or decreased base failure rate. A ship with only 2% of its displacement devoted to engineering spaces would have twice the normal failure rate, and one with 8% of its displacement devoted to engineering spaces would have half the failure rate.

Looking at our
UNS Panner, it is a 1050 tonne ship, so its base annual failure rate is 10.5% per year since last overhaul. At two years since overhaul, it would have a 21% base annual failure rate. The Panner class has only 0.5% of its displacement spaces devoted to engineering spaces, so that rate goes up to 84% per year since last overhaul.

Ships with no engineering spaces at all have a base failure rate of tonnage / 5.

The annual failure rate determines the chance that the ship will suffer a maintenance failure in a year. This annual failure rate is adjusted to the length of the production cycle to get an incremental failure rate (IFR) that determines the chance that a ship will suffer a failure in a given production cycle. When a failure occurs, it is as if the ship took a 2 damage hit to its internals. This is rolled against the Damage Allocation Chart, and only one system can be affected. If the component has an HTK of 3 or greater, it has the possibility to not be damaged by the failure.

If a system is affected by a failure, the ship is checked to see if it has maintenance supplies available to repair the failure. The cost in maintenance supply points (MSP) is equal to the build cost of the system. If the ship doesn't have enough maintenance supplies to repair the system, it acts as if it was damaged by hostile fire and must be repaired using Damage Control (at an MSP cost of 2x the build cost of the system, so the ship would need to restock MSP in this scenario) or at a shipyard. Note that when systems like reactors, engines, and magazines suffer a non-repaired failure of this sort, it is possible for them to explode.

A ship's base MSP capacity is based on its build cost and the amount of its displacement used for engineering spaces. However, the exact formula for this appears to be different than it was when the thread I am getting my information from was written. I will ask Steve about it. Suffice it to say that the larger the percentage of displacement devoted to engineering spaces, the larger the fraction of systems the ship carries "spares" for.

A class design includes a line like:

code:
Maint Life 8.09 Years     MSP 106    AFR 8%    IFR 0.1%    1YR 3    5YR 43    Max Repair 100 MSP
Maint Life is how long the ship's stock of maintenance supplies is likely to last before running out. MSP is the max number of MSP the ship can carry. (On an individual unit's page, it is the current amount of MSP). AFR is the annual failure rate. For a class design summary, it is the failure rate per year since overhaul (so you'd multiply by the maintenance clock to get the actual AFR). An individual unit's AFR is its current annual failure rate, taking into account its current maintenance clock. The same relationship holds for the IFR, which is the incremental failure rate mentioned above. 1YR and 5YR is the number of MSP the ship will use, on average, over the course of the next year or next five years, respectively. Max Repair is the number of MSP required if the largest component on the ship fails.

Maintenance Clock, Orbital Maintenance, and Overhaul

Every military-rated ship has an associated maintenance clock. As discussed above, as the ship's clock increases, so does its failure rate. At some point its failure rate will become so large that it will fail constantly. There are a few ways to manage this situation.

Ships in orbit of a colony with sufficient maintenance facilities to accommodate its tonnage, and enough minerals for the maintenance, do not run their clocks. Thus, keeping your ships at a fleet base is a good way to keep them well-maintained.

:siren:Earth currently cannot maintain the
Panner class, since it only has enough maintenance facilities for a 1000-tonne ship. Each maintenance facility can accommodate 200 tonnes of ship displacement. This is not additive. I.e., 10 maintenance facilities can accommodate any number of ships up to 2000 tonnes simultaneously, but could not support a single ship of 2100 tonnes.

If a ship is on a long deployment and runs up its maintenance clock, you can put it into overhaul at a colony that has enough maintenance facilities to accommodate its tonnage. This causes the clock to rewind at 4x real time. I.e., a ship with four years on its clock would require one year to go back to a maintenance clock of 0 years. This means ships spend about 20-25% of their time in overhaul.

Orbital and overhaul maintenance costs minerals equal to 5% of the mineral cost to originally build the ship per year. The amount of minerals being used for this purpose is displayed on the Mining / Maintenance tab of the Population and Production window, below the mining overview.

The maintenance clock is also reduced when ships are repaired, based on the percentage of their build cost that is involved in new components provided by the repair.

Maintenance is an important aspect of your ship designs and operations, so its best to keep it in mind at all times.

Tolan posted:

TO: ALL PERSONNEL, MISSILE COMPLEX 020 ("ATAHUALPA")

I have requested UNIN/MC designate Missile Complex 020 "Atahualpa" to celebrate the rich history of our surroundings.

CMDR Tolan

Done.

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

CO of the 64th LTA
TO: Spacebook Contacts

So it looks like I have been reassigned once again. Coming up with new names for these divisions just seems pointless since they're all going to be disbanded in favor of new TNE battalions eventually anyway. Wait, that gives me an idea. The 64th LTA will now be known as The Disband of Brothers. And now on to more important matters.

Something has been bothering me about the maps we've been getting of the Solar System but I could never put my finger on it until now. All the planets seem to be going backwards. They're all revolving clockwise, what's going on?! Unless we're looking at things from the south but who in their right mind would do that? I think it's much more likely that this is part of some conniving commie conspiracy. To what end, I don't know. But rest assured I'll not rest until the planets move counterclockwise again.

Unit renamed. Also, Steve actually fixed that for the next version.

Thread Updates

I'll try to push out another update if I get some orders tonight since this one was so short. I won't be able to update again until some time on Sunday, so to give you guys something to think about, I need a naval organization (see the Naval Organization Update) setup. The final decision belongs to Lord Windy, but there are a lot of different formats it can take.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 2, 2012

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
TO: UNEC

I am nominating Commander Stokes to command our new survey vessel based on her training in geosurvey.

Whoever ends up commanding UNS Panner, their first orders are to survey Saturn and it's moons. After that, they should move further out to survey planets and their moons while periodically returning for resupply. After all the planets and their moons have been surveyed, they should move on to astroids.

Also, we should probably divert some of our industry into construction of maintenance facilities to ensure the survival of our future fleet.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
FROM: The Desk of Lord Windy, Director of Defence and Procurement
TO: United Nations General Assembly

Ladies and Gentleman of the United Nations, I come to you with an updated version of my Organisation Structure.

I've based it around a decentralised committee. Myself, at the head as Commander in Chief, who organise campaign goals and and then Sector commands completely independent and allowed to follow orders as seen fit. Planetary Defence, headed by the Administrator and most senior Army staff have command over their facilities and tasks groups under their command and Task Groups are headed by their most senior naval adviser.

Basically it would like this:
code:
Commander in Chief - Lord Windy + General Staff
      - Sector - Sol - SOMEONE
                    -Sol Task Groups - Assigned Task Groups of Sol
            -Earth Planetary Defence - Administrator farecoal + Brig. General berryjon
                   -Earth Assets (Both PDC and assigned Task Groups. Includes fighters construction facilities)
            -Mars Planetary Defence - Administrator SOMEONE + Brig. General SOMEONE
                   -Mars Assets
      - Sector - New System - SOMEONE
I encourage debate on this system and alternatives to be written up. A big part of our problems may be speed of communication, and that's why I've made the effort to create a system where everyone is capable of making their own decisions where necessary.

I myself will try to remain hands off from the rest of the command system as much as possible. I come from a Civilian background and therefore don't understand military strategy as much as others.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Did you give A RICH WHITE MAN these traits on purpose:

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Farecoal posted:

Did you give A RICH WHITE MAN these traits on purpose:

While the traits are amusing, the best part is really the "Sex: F" bit.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...
CO of the 64th LTA "Disband of Brothers"
TO: Director of Defense

Naval organization... Phew, boring! But I suppose that it must be done.

Now, I'm not a navy man but I find it helps if everybody under your command is reduced to as faceless a thing as possible. This way when you ask a guy to drive a jeep with a tritanium bumper directly into a commie PDC you don't feel so bad about his kids and his grandparents and aspirations and stuff. I like what you have there already, it's a good start. But we need way more sub-categories and branches. We need all kinds of details. So let's go full spectrum autistic on this thing. :spergin:

code:
Fleet Command
 -Sector - Sol
  -Sol System Defense
   -Space Command (Containing the "blue water" combat fleets & support within Sol)
   -Planetary Defense
    -Earth Command
     -Strategic Missile Command (PDCs, orbital weapons platforms)
     -Fighter Operations (Fighters, dedicated hangars)
     -Army HQ (Ground forces obviously, maybe boarding shuttles if present)
    -Tranquility Command
     -Strategic Missile Command
     -Fighter Operations
     -Army HQ
    -Mars Command
     -Fighter Operations
     -Army HQ
  -Sol System Logistics HQ
   -Survey Operations
    -Geo Survey
    -Grav Survey
   -Freighter Command
   -Resource Acquisition (Asteroid & sorium miners & salvagers if we make any)
   -Jumpgate Construction (Gate builders if we make any)
   -Planetary Engineering (Ship-based terraformers if we make any)
That's basically what the structure for one system might look like. In this instance Tranquility and Earth are so close to each other it might make sense to merge a few branches like Fighter Ops or Missile Command but that isn't for me to decide. "Space Command" would include whatever combat fleets are currently available in system and their various support fleets, tankers, supply ships, and colliers. It doesn't include the more "brown water" ships that would operate only from and in the vicinity of a colony like ground-launched fighters or FACs or monitors.

Obviously this isn't a complete hierarchy. We will still need to design something compatible with an exploration fleet or a distantly operating combat fleet. Also I probably missed some stuff so I hope everybody picks this apart and puts things together.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
To sum up, I really like SPERMCUBE's plan. It feels like a more fleshed out version of mine.

Most logistics however, fall under other departments so I made no real effort to incorporate them and any logistics that would fall under Defence would be incorporated into the sector commands.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
Fascinating LP, although it's convinced me that I'm not nearly smart enough, or have enough time, to play the game myself. Which is a pity, since these one-man massive simulation-game-things are really fascinating. Also, I loving love sci fi.

Any room for me to be a scientist? :3:

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

redleader posted:

Fascinating LP, although it's convinced me that I'm not nearly smart enough, or have enough time, to play the game myself. Which is a pity, since these one-man massive simulation-game-things are really fascinating. Also, I loving love sci fi.

I don't know about this, guys.
His name is RED LEADER.

I'm thinking it's a spy.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

PokeWarVeteran posted:

I don't know about this, guys.
His name is RED LEADER.

I'm thinking it's a spy.

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

As for solo playing it; while I haven't engaged in space combat myself, so I can't say how that is, the rest of the game isn't too hard to handle once you get used to the UI. I say give it a try and see how you go.

Zyrden
Mar 25, 2012

Climbing gear.
Medals, medals everywhere.

Bronze/Silver/Gold star of excellence

Reason: Awarded for exemplary skill and bravery.
(Meaning they're general purpose medals.)

Value: 50/100/150

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

CO of the 64th LTA "Disband of Brothers"
TO: Director of Defense

code:
Fleet Command
 -Sector - Sol
  -Sol System Defense
   -Planetary Defense
    -Earth Command
    -Tranquility Command
     -Fighter Operations
     -Army HQ
    -Mars Command
     -Fighter Operations
     -Army HQ
  -Sol System Logistics HQ
   -Survey Operations
    -Geo Survey
    -Grav Survey
   -Freighter Command

Which of these are to be designated as "Task Forces" (with an associated Task Force Command Staff?)

Zyrden posted:

Medals, medals everywhere.

Bronze/Silver/Gold star of excellence

Reason: Awarded for exemplary skill and bravery.
(Meaning they're general purpose medals.)

Value: 50/100/150

These have all been added to the game and may be awarded.

redleader posted:

Added. You are the scientist formerly known as Raphael Oniel.

Working on an update now.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 7, 2012

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

bgreman posted:

Which of these are to be designated as "Task Forces" (with an associated Task Force Command Staff?)

I'm not sure it really makes any sense for us to use more than one Task Force while still confined to a single system. So with that in mind I suppose I should modify the thing slightly so it better reflects our current situation and is more expandable in case we colonize another system in the future.

code:
-Sector Sol HQ
 -Sol System Defense
  -Planetary Defense
   -Earth Command
   -Tranquility Command
    -Fighter Operations
    -Army HQ
   -Mars Command
    -Fighter Operations
    -Army HQ
 -Sol System Logistics HQ
  -Survey Operations
   -Geo Survey
   -Grav Survey
  -Freighter Command
In this version "Sector Sol HQ" is at the top of the pile and the only one that has an associated task force, everything else exists within the umbrella of those staff officers. If, in the future, a new system is colonized then we can just duplicate this tree changing names as needed. I haven't come up with a command tree for a mobile force yet for two reasons: First we haven't researched flag bridges and so our task forces are immobile anyway and number two is I don't really know what I'm doing.

Also if anybody has any suggestions for doing something different, maybe you want different names for the various branches or you have ideas for whole new branches or some of my branches are stupid and unneeded then please spit it out.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

UN, 19th September 2027

The UNS Panner, under the command of CMDR Frey Stokes, departs Earth for Saturn to begin its geological survey of the solar system. Panner will spend nearly a month in orbit of the planet, collecting geological data, before moving on to its moons.

To: Councilor Lord Windy
Re: UN Military Signature Masking Protocol (UMSMP)

In an attempt to prevent the Federation intelligence services from being able to discern the capabilities of our military-rated craft, we have given a broad directive that all UN naval vessels should make way at 80% of rated engine power. This can of course be overridden at the judgement of the Task Group CO in the case of an emergency. You also have the power to broadly suspend the protocol at will.

UN, 25th September 2027

More very minor skirmishes erupt on the Moon due to some colonists having to wait a day or two before accommodations are ready for them. On Earth, a new officer joins the ground forces.

Elsewhere, Dr. Slaan's work on miniaturizing nuclear thermal engines for use in missiles completes. He has been working closely with the UNIN Department of Ordnance, and they are ready to begin prototyping missiles immediately, once appropriate design bids have been submitted. Meanwhile, Dr. Slaan moves on to beginning research into directed meson weaponry.

UN, 27th September 2027

More minor unrest on Tranquility, as all of McKiernan's freighters have been tasked to fulfill the lucrative UN Mine Transport contract instead of developing civil infrastructure.

Elsewhere, CMDR Raw_Beef's performance in a fleet combat simulation improves his ability to lead a formation.

UN, 3rd November 2027

A new graduate joins the UNIN officer corps and is immediately assigned to bring some kind of order to the raucous Missile Complex "Snowshovel."

UN, 8th November 2027

The UNS Panner reports its first discovered mineral deposits, under the crust of Saturn's moon Titan.

UN, 13th November 2027

Five days later, UNS Panner discovers a sizable concentration of Duranium on Mimas, another moon of Saturn.

UN, 16th November 2027

UNS Panner finds trace quantities of TNEs on Saturn's tiny moon Epimetheus.

Back on Earth, Dr. Eumenides's research team submits an Advice on Implementation paper to the United Nations Ground Forces, detailing the equipment, training, and deployment practices necessary for a Trans-Newtonian engineering brigade. The labs working on the project begin conversion over to working on Dr. Slaan's meson research.

Elsewhere, the prodigal young CMDR Chadwick returns to the Academy to share some of her experience, making her beloved to the current crop of cadets.

Industry

Mining

Here you can see that some of the mines have been delivered from Earth to Tranquility, which has started its own stockpiles.

Shipyards

ISS is retooling and will be for a while. Versailles is expanding, but isn't currently building anything. Should it? It is still tooled for the Panner-class.

Ground Unit Training

You are now capable of producing Engineering Brigades. BGEN berryjon or Lord Windy can command this, including whether to convert an existing Low-Tech division into a cadre to use to train it (ENG Brigades use infantry cadres). Puistokemisti can issue an emergency veto of this in the case of emergency mineral shortages. The veto can be overridden by a majority vote of the UNEC.

Research

All labs are assigned to Slaan for his meson research. Should he queue up the other two techs still required to design a meson cannon (the meson focusing tech and the beam fire control range tech)? If not, the rest of the research directive as currently understood will be implemented.

Thread Updates
Look for an update as soon as I get some feedback on the questions above. That's shipyard orders from Lord Windy, Ground Unit orders from berryjon or Lord Windy, and Research clarification from Ynkling.

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

For these reasons I vote for granting UN membership to our moon.

bgreman posted:

I don't think I've seen this screen before. Which one is it?

Regarding research: grab all the Meson techs first with the full complement of labs before going through the UNIN designs. I didn't know that all those techs were needed to make them usable.

edit: BGreman, I just noticed that you're missing the Ground Unit Training picture.

Ynkling fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 8, 2012

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
TO: United Nations Ground Forces

Begin conversion of a single low-tech Infantry Division into a full TNE Engineering Brigade immediately. Once complete, this brigade will be led by the best available Xeno-studies commander we have, and deployed to Mars to examine the ruins left on that planet.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
TO: Shipyard Operations

Once we reach the 5000 ton mark I would like to switch from expanding to adding a new slipway. As for ships at the moment, I would like to see a new Panner class ship get built in the interim while we design a new class.

TO: Brig. General berryjon
Re. Engineers

I leave the decision up to you. If you want to convert some of our army away to engineers you have my blessing

TO: UNEC, Brig. General berryjon, SPERMCUBE.ORG
Re. Naval Organisation

For now, I'm tentatively greenlighting SPERMCUBE.ORG's naval organisation. It's far more fleshed out than my own. However, I reserve the right to make changes when I feel they are prudent.

code:
-Sector Sol HQ
 -Sol System Defense
  -Planetary Defense
   -Earth Command
   -Tranquility Command
    -Fighter Operations
    -Army HQ
   -Mars Command
    -Fighter Operations
    -Army HQ
 -Sol System Logistics HQ
  -Survey Operations
   -Geo Survey
   -Grav Survey
  -Freighter Command

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Would dropping more than one engineering brigade have any impact on the speed of their despoiling efforts? Or is it the sort of thing where it just checks if a brigade is there at all?

Ynkling posted:

I don't think I've seen this screen before. Which one is it?

It's the bottom portion of the System View screen.

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

I get Error 713 (missing MSSTDFMT.DLL) when I click on the System View. I'm going to look at the Aurora forums and see what's up. I've been getting it at a few other places, but it hasn't been critical to playing so I attributed it to bugs. Guess not!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

It's the bottom portion of the System View screen.

Assuming that's System Information, I get the same. HMM. Cause that'd be pretty useful info to have.

And I think more divisions = more checks. Given we've got Lunar unrest extra divisions might not be a bad idea anyhow. Unless you had other plans for training

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

I found a solution (leads to the Aurora forum, it's the second post), but now I get Error 76, asking for some missing planet .jpeg's.

I'm going to look at the Aurora forums and see what's up.

edit: Turns out I did exactly the same thing as the guy in the solution link above! Scrolling down reveals that I haven't installed the game completely. :ms:

Ynkling fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 8, 2012

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Yeah, it's system information. The button on your system maps screen calls it system view so it's pretty interchangeable. It's the F9 window.

I just went to the aurora forums and it looks like error 713 on the system info screen is a pretty old bug. I scanned the thread for it and some guys reported that they fixed it by installing this. Apparently that program has the .dll in question. You could also try finding that particular .dll elsewhere on the internet and dropping it into your aurora directory if you prefer.

EDIT: Oh, looks like Ynkling found it too.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Lord Windy posted:

TO: Brig. General berryjon
Re. Engineers

I leave the decision up to you. If you want to convert some of our army away to engineers you have my blessing

TO: Lord Windy

At this point, I feel that the sacrifice of a single factor of soon-to-be-obscelete infantry for an upgraded Engineering Brigade will be an acceptable short-term loss on our part. The Federation has likely done the same cost-benefit benefit our people have, and come to the same strategc conclusions as we. They will not attack simply because of the temporarly advantage they will have.

As a side note, I am concerned about the lack of apparent technological progress by the Federation displayed for the world to see. After their initial rush, there has been little in the way we have observed, in comparison to our public colonization of Tranquility, Mars and Calisto. Please forward this request to our Intelligence department and Spermcube.org to see what they can extrapolate given the silence for so long. I would hate to be caught unawares by their latest developments.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Ugh that was a pain to fix. It'd help if Windows ran command as administrator by default of course. Batch files, you are my saviour.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I realize that I don't have any position of note (I like to think of myself as an independent think tank), but I have a concern no one is mentioning.

We know the Federation surveyed Mars, and it seems likely that they found the ruins too. I can't imagine that they'll sit back and let us gain sole access to the ruins and what is likely impressive alien technology.

So, basically, if we transport engineers to Mars, how do we defend the archaeological dig? Because if the Federation has any ability whatsoever to contest our claim, I'm pretty sure they're going to try, and try soon.

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

Going from the Ground Units, Ground Combat, Political Status update, Engineer Brigades are our most effective defensive units (Base Defense Strength: 50% RGCS), compared to Low Tech Armor (base Defense Strength: 30% RGCS) and Low Tech Infantry (Base Defense Strength: 25% RGCS). The Garrison Battalions that we got for free from the civilian mining complex (but we can't produce on our own), are by far the strongest defenders (Base Defense Strength: 100% RGCS). The intermediary between the Low Tech land forces, the Cadres, are worthless when it comes to defense (Base Defense Strength: 1% RGCS).

If our goal is to hold onto our extraterrestrial holdings, then forming a core of ENG brigades supported by some LT elements might be enough to produce the same effect that makes a land war on Earth unfeasible.

It is worth noting that ENG brigades have a zero base attack strength, and that they are furthermore expensive in terms of resources and time (though this is ameliorated by the conversion of an LT division to a Cadre).

That is, of course, if I've understood the ground combat system correctly, which is not a guarantee.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Bremen posted:

I realize that I don't have any position of note (I like to think of myself as an independent think tank), but I have a concern no one is mentioning.

We know the Federation surveyed Mars, and it seems likely that they found the ruins too. I can't imagine that they'll sit back and let us gain sole access to the ruins and what is likely impressive alien technology.

So, basically, if we transport engineers to Mars, how do we defend the archaeological dig? Because if the Federation has any ability whatsoever to contest our claim, I'm pretty sure they're going to try, and try soon.

Well, our engineer division itself is a match for any first generation TNE division, so a ground assault on our troops would be unsuccessful. We also haven't detected any buildup of space warfare vessels, so a space based assault is unlikely. This leaves the primary threat being some sort of nuclear assault from Earth.

I'll procrastinate for a bit and throw together some missile and missile cruiser designs, as well as improved PDCs.

Designs follow:
Targeting computers and Sensor systems

UN/SGM-1 Aegis missile defense control
Active Sensor Strength: 20 Sensitivity Modifier: 50%
Sensor Size: 2 HS Sensor HTK: 1
Resolution: 1 Maximum Range vs 50 ton object (or larger): 3,000,000 km
Range vs Size 6 Missile (or smaller): 326,700 km
Range vs Size 8 Missile: 480,000 km
Range vs Size 12 Missile: 1,080,000 km
Chance of destruction by electronic damage: 100%
Cost: 20 Crew: 10
Materials Required: 5x Duranium 15x Uridium

Development Cost for Project: 200RP

UN/SGS-1 Warbler missile warning sensor
Active Sensor Strength: 30 Sensitivity Modifier: 50%
Sensor Size: 3 HS Sensor HTK: 1
Resolution: 1 Maximum Range vs 50 ton object (or larger): 1,500,000 km
Range vs Size 6 Missile (or smaller): 163,350 km
Range vs Size 8 Missile: 240,000 km
Range vs Size 12 Missile: 540,000 km
Cost: 30 Crew: 15
Materials Required: 7.5x Duranium 22.5x Uridium

Development Cost for Project: 300RP

(I have no idea if we need a search sensor for missile detection as well as a missile fire control)

UN/SGY-1 Overwatch Active tracking array (This sensor is designed for tracking light warships of a similar tonnage that we can field. It is not recommended to push resolution higher than 40 HS at this time)
Active Sensor Strength: 20 Sensitivity Modifier: 50%
Sensor Size: 2 HS Sensor HTK: 1
Resolution: 20 Maximum Range vs 1000 ton object (or larger): 4,470,000 km
Range vs 1000 ton object: 4,470,000 km
Range vs 250 ton object: 279,375 km
Cost: 20 Crew: 10

UN/STY-1 Mercury class Thermal detection array
Thermal Sensor Sensitivity: 20
Sensor Size: 4 HS Sensor HTK: 1
Cost: 20 Crew: 20

Launch systems

SDI-1 Needler class point defense launcher (designed to rapidly deploy anti-missile warheads for fleet defense)
Maximum Missile Size: 1 Rate of Fire: 30 seconds
Launcher Size: 1 HS Launcher HTK: 0
Cost Per Launcher: 4 Crew Per Launcher: 10
Materials Required: 1x Duranium 3x Tritanium

Development Cost for Project: 40RP

STS-1 Thunderhammer class ship to ship missile battery
Maximum Missile Size: 8 Rate of Fire: 240 seconds
Launcher Size: 8 HS Launcher HTK: 4
Cost Per Launcher: 32 Crew Per Launcher: 80
Materials Required: 8x Duranium 24x Tritanium

Development Cost for Project: 320RP

These are designed to launch the following ordinance

Ship-board ordinance

SIM-1 Wasp interceptor missile
Missile Size: 1 MSP (0.05 HS) Warhead: 1 Armour: 0 Manoeuvre Rating: 11
Speed: 7500 km/s Endurance: 2 minutes Range: 0.7m km
Thermal Sensor Strength: 0.0365 Detect Sig Strength 1000: 36,500 km
Cost Per Missile: 0.4365
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 82.5% 3k km/s 22% 5k km/s 16.5% 10k km/s 8.2%
Materials Required: 0.25x Tritanium 0.0365x Uridium Fuel x10

Development Cost for Project: 44RP
(Warhead 0.5, Engine 0.446, Fuel 0.004, Agility 0.05) Designed to be thrown, en masse, in the path of incoming ordinance.

SSM-1 Tomahawk final stage STS warhead
Missile Size: 2 MSP (0.1 HS) Warhead: 2 Armour: 0 Manoeuvre Rating: 10
Speed: 12400 km/s Endurance: 1 minutes Range: 0.9m km
Cost Per Missile: 0.9125
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 124% 3k km/s 40% 5k km/s 24.8% 10k km/s 12.4%
Materials Required: 0.5x Tritanium 0.1625x Gallicite Fuel x25

Development Cost for Project: 91RP
(Warhead 1, Engine 0.64, Fuel 0.01, Agility 0.35) What it says on the can.

SBM-1 Hammer cruise missile
Missile Size: 8 MSP (0.4 HS) Warhead: 0 Armour: 0 Manoeuvre Rating: 10
Speed: 5600 km/s Endurance: 13 minutes Range: 4.5m km
Cost Per Missile: 3.4875
Second Stage: Tomahawk final stage STS warhead x3
Second Stage Separation Range: 200,000 km
Overall Endurance: 15 minutes Overall Range: 5.4m km
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 56% 3k km/s 10% 5k km/s 11.2% 10k km/s 5.6%
Materials Required: 1.5x Tritanium 0.9875x Gallicite Fuel x500

Development Cost for Project: 349RP
(Warhead 0, Engine Power 1.8, Fuel capacity 0.2) Designed to facilitate the transit of Tomahawks.

I'm not putting forth PDC or ship designs at this point because, just like with laser and meson weaponary, we're missing a vital technology for prolonged ship to ship operations - specifically, we have no information on how to efficiently load TNE missiles quickly and safely (we need Magazine Feed System Efficiency - 75%) so any vessel designed using current technologies would not be able to reload its launchers without assistance from a planetary yard.

So thoughts on designs, revisions etc. Just remember the Thunderhammer and Hammer are related. So if you're changing one, it's likely worth changing the other too.

Edit: Wait, does the ship components list have all the techs included? Because I threw together a test game and it went "no, you can't make a magazine, you lack missile feed systems" but there's a post earlier with them. Also larger fire controls than I came up with.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 8, 2012

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
The stalemate on Earth is dependent on the fact that Earth has an atmosphere that prevents a single spacecraft from vaporizing ground units from orbit. I feel obliged to point out that the Martian atmosphere is extremely thin, and probably wouldn't block even an extremely small laser or railgun.

Counting on defending Mars with ground troops is probably not a good idea.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Bremen posted:

The stalemate on Earth is dependent on the fact that Earth has an atmosphere that prevents a single spacecraft from vaporizing ground units from orbit. I feel obliged to point out that the Martian atmosphere is extremely thin, and probably wouldn't block even an extremely small laser or railgun.

Counting on defending Mars with ground troops is probably not a good idea.

For extraterrestrial holdings, would it be feasible to develop a defense station that can be transported to our colonies that can used in their defense. I realize that static installations aren't the best solution in the vastness of space, but unless we are willing to invest in a massive number of ships for defense, defender stations might be a good stop gap.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Oh hey, we have missile designations. Time to go back and edit!

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Jimmy4400nav posted:

For extraterrestrial holdings, would it be feasible to develop a defense station that can be transported to our colonies that can used in their defense. I realize that static installations aren't the best solution in the vastness of space, but unless we are willing to invest in a massive number of ships for defense, defender stations might be a good stop gap.

Yes. A planetary defense center can be built in prefab components, loaded onto a freighter, and shipped to a distant colony. Once there they can be assembled by that colony's industry or by engineering brigades. We would need to design a larger freighter to carry PDC components though.

As for Mars coming under attack, it seems like the federation would have a bit of trouble with that. Either they would attack from orbit in which case they would need a warship (probably armed with missiles) or they would attack from the ground in which case they would need TNE troop formations and a troop transport. We know they do not yet have a battleship or troopship. They are probably capable of producing some sort of missile destroyer and they are probably near to building a troopship. There's no way to tell what their ground forces are like yet.

It's probably a good idea to start thinking about the defense of our colonies though. Either through PDCs or warships.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Veloxyll posted:

(I have no idea if we need a search sensor for missile detection as well as a missile fire control)

You do. Active sensors "paint targets" and missile fire controls guide their controlled missiles to these painted targets. Active sensors cannot guide missiles and fire controls cannot paint targets.

Veloxyll posted:

I'm not putting forth PDC or ship designs at this point because, just like with laser and meson weaponry, we're missing a vital technology for prolonged ship to ship operations - specifically, we have no information on how to efficiently load TNE missiles quickly and safely (we need Magazine Feed System Efficiency - 75%) so any vessel designed using current technologies would not be able to reload its launchers without assistance from a planetary yard.

Edit: Wait, does the ship components list have all the techs included? Because I threw together a test game and it went "no, you can't make a magazine, you lack missile feed systems" but there's a post earlier with them. Also larger fire controls than I came up with.

The research page was not updated as it should have been. I just fixed it. You do indeed already have the magazine tech, and a magazine design has been proposed. All the designs from your post are currently created as well and available for research. I made a few adjustments to the missiles. Generally, until your agility / MSP is higher, you are better off going all engine and no agility, since your hit percentages go up faster with increased speed than increased agility. Increased speed also makes the missiles harder to hit, so it's a win/win.

I also fixed the broken ground units image in the last post.

UN, 16th November 2027

A keel-laying ceremony takes place at the Versailles Naval Yard as the second Panner-class vessel is laid down. Back on the ground, the 23rd Infantry Division is officially disbanded, its soldiers sent to other units or retained as a core cadre for the formation of the Provisional 76th Engineering Brigade.

UN, 20th November 2027

UNMS York emerges from the ISS refit facility as a York II-class freighter. The extensive retrofit adds 20 crew and cost nearly 62% of the cost of a new York II-class. The ship is currently without a CO, its prior commander CMDR Zyrden having been selected the the Mars Geological Survey Team.

To: Councilor DagPenge, UNEC
Re: Command candidates, UNMS York

Please find attached a summary of the suitable candidates for this command. CAPT Galenus is the FHQ Logistics Officer, CMDR Jaramr is the FHQ Intelligence Officer, CMDR Zyrden (who is on Mars) and CMDR Darrah are both serving crucial duties as team members, and CAPT Commoners already commands UNMS Leeds. The others command Missile Complexes. Any of these personnel are technically available.

UN, 4th December 2027

CMDR Jaramr participates in a leadership workshop. On Tranquility, local news discusses a bar fight resulting in two fatalities.

To: UNEC, UNIN, UNGF
Re: Federation Contacts

Sirs, moments ago a new Federation ship of the Reka-class was observed on our deep space tracking system. She is making way on a Mars-bound heading at 1750 km/s, the same speed as the original Reka-class craft. As we believe the Federation has already surveyed Mars, it is possible they are putting a geological team on the ground there, or their own exoarchaeology team (if they haven't already done either). We can only speculate.

UN, 6th December 2027

More minor unrest unsettles the Tranquility colony, but overall, satisfaction with life there is extremely high. While orbiting Earth in UNMS Leeds, CAPT Commoners leads an exhausting training drill with his crew.

On Titan, British Petroleum establishes a civilian mining colony using data shared by the UNGS. Like the Callisto colony, the Titan CMC petitions the UN to provide a civil governor and a commander for the garrison.

Domestic News, 6th December 2027

Federation Commissioner-General Ivano Tretyakov released a statement today expressing outrage over what he claims is a UN-funded push to establish sovereignty over extraterrestrial soil.

"We have heard nothing from their Embassy here in Moscow about these mining corporations or the United Nations expedition colonies to Luna and Mars. We can only assume they mean to incorporate these bodies as United Nations member states, in violation of the Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies. There has been no offer to share information or join in exploitation of these bodies, depriving our citizens of this common heritage of mankind. In light of these events, we must severely re-evaluate our own participation in the Outer Space Treaty."

UN analysts speculate that the Federation's stance may be prompted by desperation, as they have a much smaller presence in the solar system than the United Nations at present.

UN, 8th December 2027

A vandal defaces the Tranquility Council Building with a graffito that reads, "Where's the Space in Space?" On Earth, the UN Academy graduates a top-flight civilian administrator, Mr. PokeWarVeteran.

UN, 9th December 2027

UNS Panner discovers another body with major TNE deposits: Saturn's moon Iapetus.

UN, 10th December 2027

A peaceful demonstration takes place on Tranquility. On Earth, Dr. Slaan reaches a breakthrough with his work on meson generators. With the meson source issue solved, he turns his attention to focusing technology.

Research Unlocked
  • Enery Weapons
    • 12cm Meson Focal Size Cost: 2000 RP, €2 billion. Description: Allows the creation of meson cannon with a 12cm Focal Size (or calibre). By employing ICEF-based beam collimators, researchers are able to improve the cohesion of the meson stream over a larger aperture, increasing the range of the beam.

UN, 10th January 2028

Yet another civilian mining colony springs up on Mimas. They too request a UN administrator and garrison commander.

To: UN Ambassador Ceebees
Re: Outer Space Treaty

Commander Ceebees, it is with regret that I inform you that the Federation of European and Asian Nations, as representative for its constituent signatories, is withdrawing from the provisions of the Outer Space Treaty. Repeated UN transgressions have left us with little choice in the matter, lest we be left as an also-ran in the solar system.

Domestic News, 10th January 2027

Federation Commissioner-General Ivano Tretyakov appeared on international broadcasts today, making public the Federation's withdrawal from the Outer Space Treaty. Analysts say this move has been long in the making.

Tretyakov: "The UN forces our hand in this matter. We must be prepared to take our place in the solar system and the cosmos at large. To that end, we declare Saturn and its environs, to a distance of 250 million kilometers, to be our sovereign territory. We claim this by right of first visit and are prepared to defend our claim. The UN mining colonies on Titan and Mimas may leave peaceably, or they may remain in service to the Federation of European and Asian Nations."

To: UNEC, TOP SECRET
Re: Federation Contacts

Sir, minutes after Tretyakov's announcement, a Federation thermal signature was detected breaking orbit at 1250 km/s, making for the Saturn system. That speed makes it slower than our Panner-class survey vessels, but they may be masking their signature by travelling at less than max speed. We have designated the class as the Moskva-class until FHQ Intel redesignates. The timing of this is, to be honest, quite ominous.

Industry

Mining

You can see that Earth now has one intact mass driver, which allows setting the destination on Mining tab. We'll leave it set to 'none', since we want minerals to be coming IN to Earth.

Shipyards

York has finished its refit, so it needs a new CO. Additionally, that frees ISS up to build more York IIs if you choose. It is still retooling to Lictor in the meantime. Versailles will soon stop expanding and begin building a new slipway. The Panner-class under construction needs a name.

Research

Slaan will finish Meson Focusing Technology 1 and Beam Fire Control Range 10,000 km and then UNIN component designs will be researched, unless I get other orders. I'd like a confirmation of which designs to research, and which to prioritize.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
FROM: The Hidden Bunker of Lord Windy, Director of Defence and Procurement
TO: UNEC, Brig. Gen berryjon, Ambassador Ceebee
re. Diplomatic Threats

We should take these new threats very seriously and decide how we should handle them with great care.

I see two potential ways of handling this. There are many more ways I suppose, but these are the two main ways. It's just our tone that would be different

1. We declare sovereignty over our current extra-terrestrial holdings and force the Russian's into the outer reaches. We would be looking at claiming ownership over the inner planets, the asteroid belt, Jupiter and it's moons. Reinforcements would be sent to Titan post haste and we would use it as a political piece to get them to accept our demands. We would arm our facilities with new missiles and improve our Earth Army. We won the cold war once and we can do it again.

If we go this path I suggest we share military facilities and Industry between Earth and Mars so we can survive a nuclear war unlike the Russians.

2. De-escalate the situation. Give them Saturn and it's moons and negotiate sharing Mars and it's discoveries with the Federation. More importantly we apologise to them. We then forge a new treaty protecting Earth and demilitarising it like I suggested we do in the past.

I bring this to an immediate UNEC vote. A simple majority rules is all we need.

I vote 2

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Welp, i sure was useful in preventing a potential war over something stupid.

FROM: Enemy Territory, Courtesy of Ambassador Cmdr. Ceebees
TO: UNEC Council
re: Diplomatic Threats

Before i fire back an official statement, i'd like to know if we even stop our civilians from planting colonies in the Saturn system?

If the answer to this is 'yes', then my opinion is that we should concede future expansion in the Saturn system, but insist that our peaceful civilian outposts remain in place and under current ownership, subject to possible demilitarization, etc etc.

If they refuse these Entirely Reasonable Demands, then we should probably rush a warship through so we can actually do something about it.

Also we should imply that if they didn't want to get left behind, then maybe their first generation of ships should actually have been useful for something more than photo-ops, jerks.
Message Ends

As a series of asides-
Why aren't their civvies planting colonies all over the place like McKiernan Omnitech?
My job here is to draft a message conveying the council's opinion to the reds, yeah?
How long would designing and building a warship take?
Windy, what do we have to apologize for? Being too good at space?
Who's FHQ Intel, and why aren't they making up reporting names for these enemy rustbuckets?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
From U.N Industrial Command
Subject: EF Escalation

This escalation by the EF is troubling, we don't know what they've been researching and now they launch a new ship at Saturn. Either this is a bluff and this is just a decoy ship, or we may have to face the possibility that the EF has a militarily equipped spaceship going towards our colonies.

Industrial Command votes 1, we have to stand our ground, we're not abandoning these colonies to the EF, they may have first visit, but we placed structure and foundation. Furthermore several strategic advantages make abandoning Saturn and beyond bad:

1: Titan has a lot of valuable resources and for us to bootstrap an extra solar expansion, well need every resource we can find.

2.Jump holes most likely will occur in trans-Saturn space, I don't want to surrender our possible gateways to the galaxy to the EF, not unless we can confirm their presences in our area of space.

I do propose that we try and make a new agreement with the Russians, maybe one that says first homestead, rather than first visit determines who gets what.

Also I think it goes without saying we need to start producing warships soon, how fast can we produce a meson laser or missile gun boat. A pocket patrol ship backed up by ground garrisons would go a long way towards protecting our colonies.

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 8, 2012

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

Looks like our civilians are fine, thank god for the capitalist spirit!
To: UNIN BuPers, UNEC
Re: Command candidates, UNMS York

DoT chooses Anna Blake as captain of the UNMS York, now that Zyrden is not available.

To: UNEC
Re: Diplomatic Threats

We have done nothing wrong according to the space treaty, it's not like we have made claim to any bodies of the solar system and there is still plenty of space on them. This is just the Feds crying because they cannot match our industrial might and they are angry that we where first.

Also do not let them claim our mining colonies! We worked hard for those and we shouldn't let them go, just because some bully wants this to happen.
Lets get some diplomacy going, we could say that we are in no way violating the space treaty and that the feds are free to settle the same planets as us, but we won't help get them there. That we are disapointed that they are so quickly to threaten and claim planets instead of contacting us.

We do need to make best efford in getting some guns out there or atleast being ready to do so at a moments notice.

DoT Standing Orders:
1. Use our own freighters to move the Mars and Venus mass drivers once they are ready
2. Retool the IIS to Lictor-B and expand it to 20,000 once retooling is complete
3. If any other department has plans that needs the service of our freighters, please use the Leeds or the York, whichever is ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I don't think we have anything to apologize for. As mentioned, we haven't done anything wrong. We have civilian facilities. If the EF threatens them, then we need to defend them, not surrender them.

• Locked thread