Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrotherSeamus
Feb 21, 2007
Like an Irish monk.

titaniumone posted:

1200 MSRP, which you won't pay unless you're being gouged. I paid $950 for mine, fully loaded, with the 'upgraded' fabric.

I was wondering if you got this deal through a retail store or through an online retailer, as I can't find any such deals like this. If from an online retailer could you share a link? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've discovered that the ugliness of Steelcase's fabrics know no bounds. I thought I had seen it all with green and brown and weird patterns and bacon couches. I saw some that are like a blue green and purple Cosby sweater. The pattern is physically three dimensional, so you can feel all the raised bits as you sit on it and it feels like it would get really hot. I'm glad I don't have to sit on those. I don't understand why they picked that fabric because the cabinets they chose have a decent green fabric which would have been just fine for the chairs as well.

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

"Though I often smell of excrement, I deserve your respect because I provide a valuable service."

Cojawfee posted:

I've discovered that the ugliness of Steelcase's fabrics know no bounds. I thought I had seen it all with green and brown and weird patterns and bacon couches. I saw some that are like a blue green and purple Cosby sweater. The pattern is physically three dimensional, so you can feel all the raised bits as you sit on it and it feels like it would get really hot. I'm glad I don't have to sit on those. I don't understand why they picked that fabric because the cabinets they chose have a decent green fabric which would have been just fine for the chairs as well.

Mine was pretty bad. The other day I finally gave up and reupholstered it myself. I couldn't figure out how to remove the base, so I ended up doing a really lovely job. I used a piece of horse leather I had sitting around from when I was in a "leathercrafting hobby" phase, so it's mega soft and feels great. gently caress off, steelcase fabric.

Ragehaver fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 7, 2012

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005
Are there any magic incantations I can invoke to get any Herman Miller products cheaper in Canada?

I've looked into decent chairs for years now and keep coming back to the Herman Miller lines, specifically the Aeron, Mirra, Sayl, and Embody. I've seen, once in awhile, an Embody sell used on Kijiji for 600 $ or less but it seems these are always ones where the original owner had horrendous (or awesome) style: green fabric on white legs, that sort of thing.

I'd love to be able to find their lines at a more reasonable price but haven't had much luck. I still need to go into a showroom to try some of the chairs, the only ones I've tried in person were Aeron sizes B and C.

I've had an Ergohuman chair for a bit at a previous job. While I liked having the mesh everywhere (like the Aeron) the chair had a fair bit of looseness, like it would wobble a little in different positions, and the armrests wouldn't adjust quite low enough to fit under the desk I was using.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
If you're in the GTA, there's a place that sells new Embody's for $840.

Otherwise, Gabriel Ross will ship, and I think Herman Miller has an annual 15% off sale that I think is coming up soon.

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005

rawrr posted:

If you're in the GTA, there's a place that sells new Embody's for $840.

Otherwise, Gabriel Ross will ship, and I think Herman Miller has an annual 15% off sale that I think is coming up soon.

Where's this? I could make the trek if I have to, though I hate driving downtown. Do they have a site that provides options and prices? I'd definitely want the armrests, not sure about other options I'd want as well.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Melraidin posted:

Where's this? I could make the trek if I have to, though I hate driving downtown. Do they have a site that provides options and prices? I'd definitely want the armrests, not sure about other options I'd want as well.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/herman-miller-embody-841-a-1145523/

$841
+$32 for white frame
+$113 for premium fabric

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Melraidin posted:

The only other option that matters for the price is the fabric. Both are nice but I thought the upgraded fabric would breathe better. I liked how the Aeron mesh was nice even on hot and humid days, and wanted this to be similar.

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005

rawrr posted:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/herman-miller-embody-841-a-1145523/

$841
+$32 for white frame
+$113 for premium fabric

Nice, I followed a thread over a year ago about a group buy on Red Flag Deals but nothing ever came of it. I've already been in contact last year with Keith at Business Interiors and he had made an offer a little higher than that for an Embody. Think I'll have to head out there and have a seat.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I don't think this is a groupbuy (they tried to do one but it didn't work out) - the $841 is just their standard price apparently.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Semi-chair related question. Do the back massaging pads sold at Sharper Image and other stores actually work?

Raukowath
Jul 5, 2003
Wreaker of Havoc
I'm needing to get a new chair, I've pretty much always used the officemax special type chairs but mine is starting to fall apart, so I came across this thread thinking about buying something a little more sturdy and probably better ergonomically. I'm really not too keen on spending $600+ on a chair so I poked around on craigslist and found a couple of the seemingly often recommended chairs within driving distance.

Someone is selling an Aeron Chair for $375 about an hour away, and Mirra chair about 3 hours away for $300 and a "fully loaded" aeron chair 5 minute away for $545. The other two ads did not say anything about what features (if any/all) they had. What should I ask or look for in regards to these chairs before I pull the trigger on any of them? The NOL Mirra for $400 is tempting just because of the not having to drive 4-5 hours.

I kept seeing that the Aeron does not have as many of the good adjustments as newer designed chairs, is that true of the Mirra as well? I really like the idea of the mesh seats as opposed pleather/bonded leather especially during the summer in this hot as hell upstairs I am currenyl living in.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
My advice would be to find a place to try them all out first - you can't really compare chairs based on features. A less adjustable/full-featured chair could end up fitting you better.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Raukowath posted:

I kept seeing that the Aeron does not have as many of the good adjustments as newer designed chairs, is that true of the Mirra as well? I really like the idea of the mesh seats as opposed pleather/bonded leather especially during the summer in this hot as hell upstairs I am currenyl living in.
Many people swear by their Aerons, but most ergonomists pan it now as out of date. Herman Miller still sells it because tons of people buy it on name alone. The Mirra is Herman Miller's attempt to revamp the Aeron with current ergonomic design without hurting the still-strong sales of the Aeron. I'd really, REALLY recommend the Mirra over the Aeron given the choice between the two.

It's definitely preferable to try them out first, but if that's not an option and you have to buy sight unseen, go with the Mirra. Look for nearby Herman Miller showrooms and/or high-end seating stores like Relax The Back, it's likely they would have some samples to try out (just don't buy them there).

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
How is it that the Humanscale Freedom chair has so many terrible reviews on Amazon? Stuff about the arms literally falling off, screws poking through the headrest, etc. It didn't seem so bad when I sat on one, and I thought Humanscale was known for quality?

Opus125
Jul 29, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Alright gents, I need a computer chair but I am not willing to part with as much money as a mid to high-end computer rig.

I am willing to spend $150. Any recommendations?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
That's not even enough for a decent beanbag. Unfortunately. :(

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Opus125 posted:

Alright gents, I need a computer chair but I am not willing to part with as much money as a mid to high-end computer rig.

For $200 you can get an Ikea Markus, which I use and it ain't bad. Needs more arm padding and there's not very much adjustability, but if you insist on going cheap, it's probably one of the better choices.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Opus125 posted:

There's resellers around me selling SteelCase Criterions for $150, that's probably better than anything you're going to find at OfficeMax/Staples/whatever.

Hit up your local Craigslist and poke around a bit.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Opus125 posted:

A "high end" computer will last you 3-5 years. A high-end chair will last you at 10-15 years. Which is a better value?

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
And if you break it down into $/hour spent, it starts looking really cheap really quickly.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Fatal posted:

A "high end" computer will last you 3-5 years. A high-end chair will last you at 10-15 years. Which is a better value?

A turtle will last you 50-60 years.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Splizwarf posted:

A turtle will last you 50-60 years.

I would feel terribly cruel if I spent all day sitting on a turtle. What if I have to fart?

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Does anyone have links to good sites discussing ideal computer ergonomics? I sit in a computer chair 12 hours a day working, and am starting to suffer from wrist/back strain. I want to start minimizing this as much as i can.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I'm not your mom (OR AM I???) but the best thing you can do is not sit in a chair for 12 hours a day. At a minimum get your rear end up and walk around for a few minutes every hour, and look into getting a standing desk. And hit the gym or change jobs.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Phiberoptik posted:

Does anyone have links to good sites discussing ideal computer ergonomics? I sit in a computer chair 12 hours a day working, and am starting to suffer from wrist/back strain. I want to start minimizing this as much as i can.
My company sometimes has professional ergonomists come in and present - here is the presentation the last one put on: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/51865677/Office%20Inactivity%20Sitting%20Disease_Copyright%20ErgoAdvocate%202012.pdf

It has some pretty basic tips about keyboard positioning and exercises to do periodically. But the most important thing is what Ninja Rope said - you need to move. An ideal situation is to set up a sit-stand workstation, either with a height adjustable desk (expensive) or with 2 desks - a sitting height and a standing height (less expensive). Switch between them whenever you begin to feel stiff - a wireless keyboard/mouse helps, and having dual monitors you can switch between (or a really nice monitor arm). A keyboard tray is helpful too.

At the very least get up and stretch as often as possible.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I'm currently negotiating with someone over their used aeron and I was wondering what types of things I should be worried about as far as fakes or chair damage, and if there was anything I should do to protect myself from scams. They have sent pictures of the chair and it looks to be in good working order except the back of the chair looks different than the one on the online herman miller aeron configurator.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Virtue posted:

I'm currently negotiating with someone over their used aeron and I was wondering what types of things I should be worried about as far as fakes or chair damage, and if there was anything I should do to protect myself from scams. They have sent pictures of the chair and it looks to be in good working order except the back of the chair looks different than the one on the online herman miller aeron configurator.

I would try sitting in one first. They are uncomfortable as hell in my opinion.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do you have the picture?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Do you have the picture?
http://imgur.com/a/WHpd5

The asking price was $500 but I'm probably only going to buy it if I can haggle it down a chunk. No stores in my area supply anything and shipping is monstrous.

I was looking for something in the $200 range initially but the cheapest I could find an Ikea Markus for was $200 + $85 shipping so I thought I might as well spend a bit more on something good.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Definitely sit in one before you buy. I personally was not fond of the aeron when I tried sitting in it.

There aren't any fakes/copies of the Aeron as far as I know - the lumbar support in your picture is legit - it's one of two options. The one pictured is not height adjustable, however.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
If you sit in a chair a lot, chances are the cushion where your rear end goes is probably worn down, even if you're as twig-like as I am!

After going through a few pillows, I bought myself one of these and have not regretted it. They last a long time because they're specifically marketed to people who spend their entire life sitting in a chair: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VWJZHE/ref=wms_ohs_product

You might be concerned at how thick it is when you first get it and your legs might be hitting the underside of your keyboard tray but don't worry, after about a week of it'll get broken in.

My back pain has gone down considerably since I got it.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Can you convert a non-adjustable Aeron to a fully adjustable one? I haven't seen anyone say they did that. It shouldn't be hard, but it's not coming up in my searches.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
So after a lot of waiting, I have gotten a full refund from NOL for the leap I ordered because they won't ship a replacement until FedEx compensates them for the broken chair.

I guess I will have to find the best chair I can for $380 or less at office depot.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

So after a lot of waiting, I have gotten a full refund from NOL for the leap I ordered because they won't ship a replacement until FedEx compensates them for the broken chair.

I guess I will have to find the best chair I can for $380 or less at office depot.

Well drat, that really sucks. They were just fine for my bad cylinder issue. Good luck man :(

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Found someone here on Craigslist selling used, loaded Mirra's for $275. I'm currently off to check it out.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

That's pretty bullshit... And also pretty typical. This is the exact reason furniture dealers are so wary about selling to individual clients instead of bulk-selling to businesses.

I encourage you to shop around a bit more before resorting to Office Depot. You'll find nothing but crappy, cheap chairs that will hurt you in the long run. Again, look for furniture warehouses that sell to the public.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

JayKay posted:

Found someone here on Craigslist selling used, loaded Mirra's for $275. I'm currently off to check it out.

If you're in the Baltimore area, this guy is selling 2009 manufacture Mirras for $275. http://baltimore.craigslist.org/fuo/3029375919.html

He has about 6 left, all shadow on shadow with 1 gray on shadow. All in excellent shape.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That's pretty bullshit... And also pretty typical. This is the exact reason furniture dealers are so wary about selling to individual clients instead of bulk-selling to businesses.

I encourage you to shop around a bit more before resorting to Office Depot. You'll find nothing but crappy, cheap chairs that will hurt you in the long run. Again, look for furniture warehouses that sell to the public.

I've looked, but there's nobody in my area that has any good chairs. Madison, WI is not the place to find used furniture apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
For $390 or $400 shipped, you can get a V1 leap.

http://www.exclusivemod.com/Designers_of_Steelcase_Leap_chair_researched_how_p_p/leapfabric.htm
http://www.designerseating.com/product.asp?strParents=308,221&CAT_ID=221&P_ID=543