Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

NESguerilla posted:

Is there any disadvantage to buying from Amazon instead of Apple? Just realized I don't have to pay taxes on it if I order via Amazon so that seems like the way to go.

No student discount from Amazon as far as I know. That's generally a better savings than not paying sales tax (depending on tax rates and the student discount on that particular product obviously), assuming of course that you're qualified for a student discount (not that they actually do anything to confirm your student status if you buy online, unless they changed that recently).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah, I remember that. I definitely didn't have the same luck with Diablo on my Macbook (same model). It may have to do with the battery/heat issues I have been having, but the video card doesn't meet the specs so I am surprised you were able to get it to run fairly well.

It definitely has to do with those issues. Another issue is that the beta only got better after playing a while (I suppose it needed to download all the assets or generate some cache or similar).

Run "sysctl hw.cpufrequency" to check your current frequency, I'd be interested.

About the specs, I don't know. It's usually a little soft these days, not like in the 90s where you could say "no, GLQuake will absolutely not run on an S3Virge". Also keep in mind that Blizzard has stated that the final version will perform better than the beta.

NESguerilla posted:

I actually plan on keeping MBP for as long as I possibly can (i'll probably replace the battery and upgrade to an SSD and it will be a pretty banging little laptop again). Just decided to get an iMac for the extra screen real estate and computing power.

If I were you and had AppleCare, I'd have the MBP fixed first and wait for the new iMac, but that's just me.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

NESguerilla posted:

Is there any disadvantage to buying from Amazon instead of Apple? Just realized I don't have to pay taxes on it if I order via Amazon so that seems like the way to go.

We've been buying MBP's from Amazon over Apple for work because I did the math. They give you like a 5-7% discount and even with a 10% student discount, after paying taxes, we still come out ahead with Amazon. On top of that, with Prime, we're able to get a MBP the next day for $4 extra versus possibly weeks waiting for Apple.

We've gone through about 20-30 MBPs using this system with no differences than when we were buying from Apple.

I think the only disadvantage is when the new ones come out, there's like a week delay before Amazon posts it for purchase.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

All of the recommended purchasing locations are listed in the OP with notes and caveats.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

All of the recommended purchasing locations are listed in the OP with notes and caveats.

One thing I didn't see discussed there: if I order my Mac off of Amazon and they swing by my house while I'm at work and nobody is home, they won't just leave it on the porch, will they? I've never had anything more than $100 ordered from Amazon and I'm not allowed to have things delivered to work, otherwise I'd just take that option.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Depends on which company is delivering it. I ordered an iMac in 2008 and the DHL guys just left it at the front door. gently caress DHL.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

bairfanx posted:

One thing I didn't see discussed there: if I order my Mac off of Amazon and they swing by my house while I'm at work and nobody is home, they won't just leave it on the porch, will they? I've never had anything more than $100 ordered from Amazon and I'm not allowed to have things delivered to work, otherwise I'd just take that option.

The shipper decides that, not Amazon. You can pick a shipping option that requires a signature, but that still isn't any guarantee that they won't fake the signature and leave it on your porch anyway.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Depends on which company is delivering it. I ordered an iMac in 2008 and the DHL guys just left it at the front door. gently caress DHL.
DHL doesn't do residential shipping anymore anyway, just freight. Amazon should use a signature-required courier.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

withak posted:

The shipper decides that, not Amazon. You can pick a shipping option that requires a signature, but that still isn't any guarantee that they won't fake the signature and leave it on your porch anyway.

First, I highly doubt that the shipper can just waive a signature that Amazon demands. Apple requires Fedex to get a signature for every single item, even if it's something for $30.

Second, I wonder how common it really is for some shipper to fake a signature because I figure if the item gets stolen there'll be hell to pay. I can see them doing that for mid-priced items that can easily be replaced, but not for something really valuable.

In the general cases where there's no signature required by the sender, I've seen all kinds of policies in the different places I've used to live ranging from signatures for everything up to no signatures for anything below about $600.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks for all the tips guys. I ended up grabbing one at the Apple store in the end. I wanted a trackpad vs magic mouse so it worked out to be the same price as Amazon if I went and bought a trackpad separately. Also, in the event that there is a surprise refresh in a week it makes things a little easier.

I am really just blown away at how nice the screen is on this thing. I have been staring at a 13 inch macbook screens for like 6 years now and it's like having a theater in front of my face. Awesome!

bairfanx posted:

Oddly enough I called Amazon about this exact issue when I was planning on buying one there this morning. Only orders over $1300 require a signature :pwn:

Edit: Also, I am now reminded of why I hate PC gaming. Decided to install Starcraft 2 since it's only game I have and two hours and a headache later I am still waiting to play. Consoles 4 life.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 7, 2012

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

flavor posted:

First, I highly doubt that the shipper can just waive a signature that Amazon demands. Apple requires Fedex to get a signature for every single item, even if it's something for $30.

Amazon only demands a signature if the value is over $1300. Any other time a signature was required, the carrier decided it was necessary for whatever reason.

Edit: mentioned up there ^

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

Edit: Also, I am now reminded of why I hate PC gaming. Decided to install Starcraft 2 since it's only game I have and two hours and a headache later I am still waiting to play. Consoles 4 life.

But you're installing it under OS X, right? I don't remember that being so difficult.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120507PD214.html

A $799 Air would be cool, as long as they didn't do something dumb like only give it 2GB. It would destroy the resale of any current Air though.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Bob Morales posted:

A $799 Air would be cool, as long as they didn't do something dumb like only give it 2GB. It would destroy the resale of any current Air though.

Yep. I'm probably going to sell my 2010 11" Air asap for this reason alone.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

flavor posted:

But you're installing it under OS X, right? I don't remember that being so difficult.

I had some problems with a file getting corrupted in the transfer and I couldn't find it for like a half hour. Then install/patches took an hour and a half. It wasn't a big deal though I was mostly joking.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'd like to upgrade the hard drive in my mid-2009 13" MBP. Any reason not to buy this hybrid "solid state" drive? It's kind of a gimmick but it achieves interesting performance in some tests I've seen.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'd like to upgrade the hard drive in my mid-2009 13" MBP. Any reason not to buy this hybrid "solid state" drive? It's kind of a gimmick but it achieves interesting performance in some tests I've seen.

It isn't going to be as huge a gain as you'd expect, but the performance gain was decent enough to be worth it in my late 2k8 unibody mbp. It'll run circles around the stock drive for sure... but I've heard rumors that Seagate's 750GB one is better in more ways than just more storage, so if I were going to do it again, i'd get the 750.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Nerdrock posted:

It isn't going to be as huge a gain as you'd expect, but the performance gain was decent enough to be worth it in my late 2k8 unibody mbp. It'll run circles around the stock drive for sure... but I've heard rumors that Seagate's 750GB one is better in more ways than just more storage, so if I were going to do it again, i'd get the 750.

I wasn't as interested in the 750 GB one, because while it has a faster 6 Gb/s SATA link, my laptop will only support 3 Gb/s. Are there other advantages?

e: Also, there's the question of getting my stuff onto a new drive. Can I just get a cheap USB-SATA enclosure and clone my old drive onto the new one?

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 7, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I wasn't as interested in the 750 GB one, because while it has a faster 6 Gb/s SATA link, my laptop will only support 3 Gb/s. Are there other advantages?

e: Also, there's the question of getting my stuff onto a new drive. Can I just get a cheap USB-SATA enclosure and clone my old drive onto the new one?

Get the 750GB, stay away from the 500GB

And yes, you can just clone your drive and it should be fine.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Pretty sure they did a much better job with the NAND flash and whatnot, as well.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

spaceship posted:

Yep. I'm probably going to sell my 2010 11" Air asap for this reason alone.

Digitimes rumors have built a reputation for being the most reliable ever over the years, so whenever they say something I would act on it posthaste. I'm probably going to sell the house this afternoon based on it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
This is only tangentially related to mac hardware, but I figured it wasn't worth a thread. I've got a Back-UPS RS RB900 with a dead battery. Is it OK to purchase a replacement battery from Battery Sharks?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Back to the hybrid SSD chat, is this the drive you guys are recommending?

"Seagate 750GB, Momentus XT, SATA-III, 7200RPM, 32MB Cache, 8GB SLC SSD"

I'm planning to replace the basic 750GB 5400RPM drive that came with my new MBP and while a regular SSD would be wonderful, I don't want to limit myself to 120-240GB internally.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Digital Jesus posted:

I'm planning to replace the basic 750GB 5400RPM drive that came with my new MBP and while a regular SSD would be wonderful, I don't want to limit myself to 120-240GB internally.

Yup. That should be it.

Here it is at newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148837

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Digital Jesus posted:

Yup.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Last time I looked at the refurb store there were base model iMacs for $999....now there are none and I need to buy one for another developer this week :argh:

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
How do the Momentus drives work if you use Boot Camp? It seems like the caching would get reset every time you switch OSes.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's completely OS independent and the caching is done at the drive level. The drive doesn't know or care what OS you're booting. It just moves the most-requested data into NAND.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's completely OS independent and the caching is done at the drive level. The drive doesn't know or care what OS you're booting. It just moves the most-requested data into NAND.

He is saying that it would be useless for a while after you switched OSes because it would be caching all the files for the other OS.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

His comment was "it seems like the caching would get reset every time you switch OSes." It would absolutely not do that.

You are correct that the drive would most likely have the more heavily-used OS in cache, but there's no reseting going on.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Sinestro posted:

He is saying that it would be useless for a while after you switched OSes because it would be caching all the files for the other OS.

This is what I was wondering about - it seems like time spent on another OS would uncache files for the primary OS. I just wasn't sure how quickly the drive decided that the files (or just sectors of the hard drive) cached were no longer useful.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

wdarkk posted:

This is only tangentially related to mac hardware, but I figured it wasn't worth a thread. I've got a Back-UPS RS RB900 with a dead battery. Is it OK to purchase a replacement battery from Battery Sharks?
No clue about them but I've gotten stuff from AtBatt before.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Just posting to say that if you've got an unused 12.7mm slot-loading iMac SuperDrive laying around from an SSD upgrade, this USB enclosure works well and is cheap. Randomly, it also comes with a 2.5" drive tray a la OWC's data doubler for mounting an SSD in place of an ordinary laptop optical drive. So, drive bracket plus external powered-usb case for $25 shipped with Prime. I originally bought the OWC version, but it was for smaller 9.5mm MacBook drives. It's nice having optical again for reading random backups and companion DVDs. I didn't want to drop needless bucks on an external optical and still have my spare SuperDrive unused.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Howdy... for the past few months I've been having an occasional problem with my mid-2011 13" MBA not coming back from sleep. I know it has a good amount of battery left, but I have problems ranging from taking ~2 minutes to come back from sleep to having to reboot the MBA completely. This happens at random times. The majority of the time all I'm using it for is Safari, iPhoto, Mail, TextEdit and iTunes (with occasional apps such as Word). It's running the latest version of Lion and has 4 gigs of Ram, plenty of room left on the SSD (I don't know if that matters in case Safari takes up tons of space on it as virtual memory). Has anyone else been encountering this? Should I be concerned?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

Howdy... for the past few months I've been having an occasional problem with my mid-2011 13" MBA not coming back from sleep. I know it has a good amount of battery left, but I have problems ranging from taking ~2 minutes to come back from sleep to having to reboot the MBA completely. This happens at random times. The majority of the time all I'm using it for is Safari, iPhoto, Mail, TextEdit and iTunes (with occasional apps such as Word). It's running the latest version of Lion and has 4 gigs of Ram, plenty of room left on the SSD (I don't know if that matters in case Safari takes up tons of space on it as virtual memory). Has anyone else been encountering this? Should I be concerned?
I am not a genius but i think anything longer than 4-5 seconds is too long.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

I am not a genius but i think anything longer than 4-5 seconds is too long.

Yeah exactly. I was just wondering if anyone else has been encountering it.

lazywhiteboy
Sep 11, 2006

not everybody's cup of tea

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

Yeah exactly. I was just wondering if anyone else has been encountering it.

This would happen to me when i left a usb hub plugged in. Do you leave anything (hub, external drive, etc.) plugged in while it is asleep?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

digitimes posted:

However, the sources believe that ultrabooks are unlikely to achieve strong sales performance until the launch of Windows 8.

Snowball's chance if I ever saw one.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lazywhiteboy posted:

This would happen to me when i left a usb hub plugged in. Do you leave anything (hub, external drive, etc.) plugged in while it is asleep?

No nothing physically is plugged into it; it does run time machine in the background when I am at home to a wireless time capsule (the latest model). It's the only thing I can think of now that you mentioned things plugged in, but I've not noticed if my MBA is running TM when I close it to sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Are there any people using KVM switches? I want to hook my new Macbook Pro and my gaming PC to my (dual link DVI only) monitor, but not having to move my keyboard and mouse from computer to computer would be nice.