Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

reality_groove posted:

I can second Picante as a good burrito place. On Mondays they do a chipotle mushroom burrito which I haven't tried but heard is pretty great.

Also the only place in London I've had a Breakfast burrito. Barely hungry in time for dinner after that beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DirtyDirt
Apr 27, 2005
Chairman Of The Bored
I've been reading this thread in preparation for my trip to London the first week of May, and I have to post some requests, if you folks don't mind. My girlfriend is a dumpling fiend, and I have been trying to find a good spot for them or dim sum but I get mixed reviews across the board. Any recommendations? We will be staying in Chelsea but anywhere central or close to any tourist spots I might be visiting would be good. We'll be there 5 days and we are pushing our budget thin just to be there, but any good spots that aren't too steep would be appreciated. My first day in London we're planning on meeting up with a friend and his GF and I think Nightjar sounds like a cool bar to check out. Personally I'd like to try some true English stuff, not burritos or the like, and maybe a decent Indian as well.

This thread has me daydreaming of tubbing it up in London, so thanks for that!

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Phoenix Palace near Baker Street? Ask for the special dumpling menu.

powertoiletduck
Feb 19, 2004

dance dance dance

DirtyDirt posted:

. My first day in London we're planning on meeting up with a friend and his GF and I think Nightjar sounds like a cool bar to check out.

For Nightjar if there is live music (i.e. Wednesday-Saturday) you need reservations, as it's seating only. If it's a popular act then often you need to book a table weeks in advance. Just email them.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Neris mentioned this thread at the meet on Saturday - as someone who likes eating food and dining out (when I can afford it, which isn't all that often) thanks for bringing it to my attention.

My first recommendation is Mosaica @ The Factory in Wood Green (N22). It's a bit out the way unless you are a Haringey resident like me I guess, but I'd heartily recommend it. Modern British with a slight emphasis on fish (at the moment anyway, the menu is seasonal and changes every week) about £40 a head for three courses and wine. I ate there on Tuesday and it was excellent, I had seabass served with unfathomably gorgeous fried chorizo and potato and it was very yummy. My brother's pork belly was very nice too and the parma ham starter he had was truly excellent. My sister had a rib eye steak which was well cooked and perfectly fine, but you'd be better off going to a proper steak restaurant.

It's also a really intriguing place as it is located in a disused warehouse space in an industrial estate, hence the '@ The Factory' label. You go into the building which still has businesses operating in the other units and take a short walk through the corridors, directions are clearly displayed, to come to a plain door with an A4 sheet of paper on the front emblazoned RESTAURANT - only to open it up and walk into something akin to a New York loft extension! The experience is a bit Alice In Wonderland, but it adds to the charm.

It's a bit out the way if you're not a North Londoner but I'd heartily recommend it to anyone.

Xarr
Oct 20, 2008

DirtyDirt posted:

I've been reading this thread in preparation for my trip to London the first week of May, and I have to post some requests, if you folks don't mind. My girlfriend is a dumpling fiend, and I have been trying to find a good spot for them or dim sum but I get mixed reviews across the board. Any recommendations? We will be staying in Chelsea but anywhere central or close to any tourist spots I might be visiting would be good. We'll be there 5 days and we are pushing our budget thin just to be there, but any good spots that aren't too steep would be appreciated. My first day in London we're planning on meeting up with a friend and his GF and I think Nightjar sounds like a cool bar to check out. Personally I'd like to try some true English stuff, not burritos or the like, and maybe a decent Indian as well.

This thread has me daydreaming of tubbing it up in London, so thanks for that!

Dumplings Ledgend in Chinatown http://www.dumplingslegend.com/ for Dumplings.

Yes to the Nightjar, go, its brilliant. You will need to book as mentioned.

http://www.tayyabs.co.uk/ Tayyabs for cheap, amazing Indian, not your usual "British" but authentic, spicy and full of flavour, not just HEAT. Its BYOB (Tesco round the corner) and is super cheap, just go for the experience. I would book, then you will only wait 10 minutes as opposed to an hour. The lamb chops are amazing and put the rest of Brick Lane to shame.

Just a little extra; London Eater has updated their list of London's best, it really is a fine list of where to eat in London.
http://londoneater.com/2012/04/12/my-favourites-april-2012-edition/

Xarr fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 16, 2012

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011

therattle posted:

El Parador on Eversholt St is a tapas place with an extensive and fairly imaginative veggie menu (although I have not been there for years, to be sure).

Bit late to the party but I went there a few weeks ago in a party of about 18, on the whole good food and happy staff but I'd have to say some parts were a little bland and they burnt a Chorizo dish quite badly. I'd give them a solid 7/10

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
Pfffffffffffffftlol this fake press release is too loving spot on.

Off twitter, some dude called @markcoflaherty

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011
I imagine it being full of Nathan Barley clones

bravo

DaveP fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 19, 2012

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My blood pressure is raised just reading it and imagining. I want to punch every imaginary face.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

I went to a french restaurant called Le Mercury last night, on Upper Street in Islington (between Angel tube and Highbury & Islington) for someone's surprise birthday dinner and I was very surprised at how cheap it was, how nice the waitstaff were and how reasonable the food was!

Very good ambiance. I had lobster and crayfish ravioli on spinach in a cream sauce (just the 1 ravioli but it was bursting with nice pink and white meat) for £3.45 , and a good pink roasted duck breast on savoy cabbage with garlic potato mash, for £8.75! So CHEAP.

House wine starts at £11. Puddings were similarly good.

I think this would be a great restaurant for a date as the ambiance was fantastic and it's kind of like what restaurants were what you imagined them to be when you were little - candles, small tables, chatting, plants as decoration, waitstaff in black uniforms. Really nice.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Le Mercury is popular with locals though I only went a few times. Good neighbourhood joint.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Neris posted:

I went to a french restaurant called Le Mercury last night, on Upper Street in Islington (between Angel tube and Highbury & Islington) for someone's surprise birthday dinner and I was very surprised at how cheap it was, how nice the waitstaff were and how reasonable the food was!

Very good ambiance. I had lobster and crayfish ravioli on spinach in a cream sauce (just the 1 ravioli but it was bursting with nice pink and white meat) for £3.45 , and a good pink roasted duck breast on savoy cabbage with garlic potato mash, for £8.75! So CHEAP.

House wine starts at £11. Puddings were similarly good.

I think this would be a great restaurant for a date as the ambiance was fantastic and it's kind of like what restaurants were what you imagined them to be when you were little - candles, small tables, chatting, plants as decoration, waitstaff in black uniforms. Really nice.

Awesome I shall make an effort to visit it when the last lot of student loans comes in.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
Has anyone been to Dinner at the Mandarin recently? I went on the opening night and I'm heading back in a week. Just fishing for recommendations for main courses as I wasn't massively impressed with what I had last time!

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Out of interest, why are you going back to somewhere insanely expensive that didnt impress you, when there are so many other insanely expensive potentially-amazing restaurants in London?

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Neris posted:

Out of interest, why are you going back to somewhere insanely expensive that didnt impress you, when there are so many other insanely expensive potentially-amazing restaurants in London?

Oh no don't get me wrong, I was incredibly impressed by it - the whole experience was fantastic. I just wish I'd picked a different main course!

Senor_Happy
Jun 17, 2005

Oh my god, why did I take the whole bottle of pills?
Went to Roganic yesterday for the 10 course tasting menu, definitely worth a trip. Was worth it for the coal infused oil alone, but the whole experience was just fantastic, including the fact that they told us that when we arrived one of the waiters told our waiter 'They looks nice, lets get them drunk and make them spend their whole Saturday here'

Which is just what happened...mostly due to the fantastic array of wines and the suggested pairings, but also that they ended up giving us 2 glasses of each wine for the price of one (around £6 per glass) due to topping up throughout the meal.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Illuminati by Nature posted:

Has anyone been to Dinner at the Mandarin recently? I went on the opening night and I'm heading back in a week. Just fishing for recommendations for main courses as I wasn't massively impressed with what I had last time!

I have! Got the set lunch though so can't help you. Ment to stick some picture on here, especially as one of the pastry chefs wrote 'happy birthday' in chocolate with the neatest handwriting I've ever seen for my girlfriend. Had the brined duck breast with lunch which was fantastic.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Senor_Happy posted:

Went to Roganic yesterday for the 10 course tasting menu, definitely worth a trip. Was worth it for the coal infused oil alone, but the whole experience was just fantastic, including the fact that they told us that when we arrived one of the waiters told our waiter 'They looks nice, lets get them drunk and make them spend their whole Saturday here'

Which is just what happened...mostly due to the fantastic array of wines and the suggested pairings, but also that they ended up giving us 2 glasses of each wine for the price of one (around £6 per glass) due to topping up throughout the meal.
I just had a look at the website - £80 for ten courses sounds doable, but how does the wine happen? Can you get it matched to the courses with a flat fee or do you have to pay per glass?

Senor_Happy
Jun 17, 2005

Oh my god, why did I take the whole bottle of pills?

tentish klown posted:

I just had a look at the website - £80 for ten courses sounds doable, but how does the wine happen? Can you get it matched to the courses with a flat fee or do you have to pay per glass?

It was a pay per glass, but they matched us 3 wines for the 10 courses, we also got a glass of sparkling rose, apple brandy and a sweet wine, as well as the cheese course for around £150 a head. They were fully open to us just saying how much wine we wanted and then picking what would be best, other tables seemed to just get one glass each or a bottle.

Looking at the bill, it wasn't more than £5 or £6 for any wines except the sparkling wine and the brandy, whch was fantastic value considering we left wanting to buy every wine we'd tried

Dangphat
Nov 15, 2011
I finally tried Bodean's on the weekend(Towerhill branch). I went for the mixed sharing platter which I shared with another goon, the burnt ends were delicious and the ribs outstanding however the slow smoked pork was a little dry for my liking.

I had good advice on bourbons which I liked and this helped wash down the meal nicely. However the service itself was rather slow, I would also advise not booking online as this seemed to have confused their table reservation "system" and left us waiting quarter of an hour for a table we had pre-booked.

Overall it was great value for money and I would go again, however the front of house needs more work.

I am glad this thread recommended it.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Not London but has anyone here tried to get a table at Noma?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

It will be London as they are doing a pop-up at Claridges.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Ask Dane or HappyHat in the general chat thread

Thei
Apr 17, 2012

Won't somebody think of the tentacles?!

Xarr posted:

Just a little extra; London Eater has updated their list of London's best, it really is a fine list of where to eat in London.
http://londoneater.com/2012/04/12/my-favourites-april-2012-edition/

With this little extra, you have bankrupted me...

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

I went to tapas place Navarros on Charlotte St a few years ago and remember it being good. http://www.navarros-tapas-london.co.uk/ Looks like the right kind of price range too maybe?

Report back wherever you end up going, though! :)

Just chiming in to say that Lemon-Shaped Rock and I tried Navarros the other week, and it was absolutely delicious! I've never tried squid-ink anything before, but we had baby squid and squid ink rice as one of our dishes, and it was a definite stand-out. All of the items we had were totally fantastic, and while it did feel a little cramped, all in all a fantastic meal.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mourning Due posted:

Just chiming in to say that Lemon-Shaped Rock and I tried Navarros the other week, and it was absolutely delicious! I've never tried squid-ink anything before, but we had baby squid and squid ink rice as one of our dishes, and it was a definite stand-out. All of the items we had were totally fantastic, and while it did feel a little cramped, all in all a fantastic meal.

Fino does the most amazing arroz negro topped with some pieces of squid, which is just sensational. No doubt Navarro's is good, but I can't imagine that it's better than the Fino one. I am literally salivating thinking about it (and their garlic olive oil mash).

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

I went to Vagabond's, behind Finsbury Park with my mate on Sunday and we tried the americano, latte, hot chocolate and mocha and all of it was divine. I also had a piece of their fruit bread, which came with butter and it was yummy.

Great little coffee shop.
Bad pic, but look at the foam! And it was super cozy in the rain. Lovely staff as well. Will definitely be returning.

I am way too poor atm to indulge my love of fancy dining so reading about Roganic and Navarros and anywhere that is more than £10 a head is killing me :psyduck:

Neris fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 3, 2012

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Anyone know of any good, authentic ramen joints in London? I've been craving a good bowl since I left Japan.

vvvv sounds promising! thanks!

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 3, 2012

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Popcorn posted:

Anyone know of any good, authentic ramen joints in London? I've been craving a good bowl since I left Japan.

Try Misato on Wardour Street. It's cheap, very good, with huge portions, and is always full of Japanese people.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Neris posted:

I went to Vagabond's, behind Finsbury Park with my mate on Sunday and we tried the americano, latte, hot chocolate and mocha and all of it was divine. I also had a piece of their fruit bread, which came with butter and it was yummy.

Great little coffee shop.
Bad pic, but look at the foam! And it was super cozy in the rain. Lovely staff as well. Will definitely be returning.

Yes! It's great, innit?

theunderwaterbear
Sep 24, 2004
Has anyone been to Gilgamesh recently/ever? I don't live in London but it's being suggested for a birthday for someone who does. The reviews seem to be amazing or awful.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

A friend of mine asked for healthy vege/lunch type places in East London around Shoreditch/Aldgate but I don't know that area - any tips? Thinking good falafel, light vietnamese, sandwiches, etc.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

theunderwaterbear posted:

Has anyone been to Gilgamesh recently/ever? I don't live in London but it's being suggested for a birthday for someone who does. The reviews seem to be amazing or awful.
I havent been but from what i know it's almost 99% likely to be terrible - if it was me, I wouldn't go

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Popcorn posted:

vvvv sounds promising! thanks!
This might be good!

quote:

Soho gets a new ramen bar Tonkotsu on Dean Street.

It's been a long time coming - with months and months of pop-ups and dish refinements - but the owners of Tsuru sushi are almost ready to open the doors on their new ramen bar in Soho. Tonkotsu, which means ‘pig bones’ and is also the name of the richest, porkiest ramen dish on offer - will serve a variety of authentic, short-menu ramen with various starters, sides, artisan Japanese beers and whiskies to complete the menu.
There will be three ramen dishes on offer: London Ramen, Tonkotsu Ramen and Tokyo Spicy which has shredded pork and their home-made chilli oil. In addition to the ramen, there'll also be fresh, hand-made gyoza (dumplings) and a crab cream korokke (Japanese croquettes).
Tonkotsu will open at 63 Dean Street in late June, but if you want to try the dishes before the official opening, they'll be running a final pop-up on the new site on Saturday 19th May. Keep an eye on @tonkotsulondon for more details.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Not really London but I finally got down to Terre a Terre in Brighton. loving amazing, every single thing :) I need grana padana crusted fried green olives every day.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

sweat poteto posted:

Not really London but I finally got down to Terre a Terre in Brighton. loving amazing, every single thing :) I need grana padana crusted fried green olives every day.

Mmm, that's good eatin'. They do amazing salted caramel chocolate truffles too.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Went to a Nepalese place - Great Nepalese Restaurant - right by Euston Station (specifically Eversholt street), which a senior colleague was raving about being some of the best "Indian" in London.

Was pretty underwhelmed, but that may have been due to his extreme enthusiasm falling short of reality. Anyone else been to this place care to tell me why I'm wrong, or is a menu that is fairly identical to every other Indian place in the world fairly common? I was somehow expecting something different, at the very least.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Went to Las Iguanas at the weekend, pretty good South American-ish food for a chain. Nice cocktails. I'd recommend the sweet potato chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Finally made it to Pitt cue last night. So tiny! I was initially disappointed when they brought out only 3 pork ribs but that was more then enough. They were cooked to perfection and delicious but definitely need a generous helping of BBQ sauce.

That aside the coleslaw was poo poo, watery mayonnaise and too much parsley and the bread was dire. I could see they we going for a rustic thing but it was cold and almost offensively tough compared to the ribs. Would really have preferred something edible or fries to mop up the sauce. My girlfriend had the bone marrow mash and that was amazing.

I'll almost certainly be going again as the meat was great though might try the beef ribs next and it was pretty great value. Also found out there is going to be a new, bigger site around Liverpool street.