Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
As of right now, the Nexus doesn't have the latest software. At least on Verizon. They haven't released 4.0.4 yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

adebisi lives posted:

So I'm eligible for an upgrade and I'm stuck between the galaxy nexus and the razr maxx. From what I've read the razr has better build quality and an awesome battery but its stuck in android update limbo for who knows how long. On the other hand the nexus has the latest software, a bigger screen, but it feels a bit flimsier it sounds like the battery/reception is kinda poo poo. So yea, I have no idea what to get, any input would be greatly appreciated.

If the maxx would of been out when I bought my nexus, It would of been a much harder choice for me. I love my nexus, Had very little issues (1 RMA, Charge port stopped working, but Red overnighted a new one, so whatever), I do still deal with the multitouch dead spots thing, so playing some games is really loving annoying when it bugs out. You can sometimes get it back by flipping the screen off then back on, but some games wont go back to landscape and break. If you're huge into mobile gaming id personally knowing this would of gone maxx. But really, I dont game on my phone, so it dont really effect my actual usage of the phone. :)

If verizons warranty/insurance sucked, I would of returned it and gone maxx. Im still on the fence as I have an upgrade sitting again and am eyeing a maxx myself. But I just really love my phone.

Hope that helps. Its a bit of a ramble, But its just so hard to express how much I really do love my nexus. But i'm also in the industry for this stuff and I dont mind small bugs because the mass of the devices out there have pretty crappy home launches and dialers. They all seem to feel 2001 still and its annoying. I realize I could just root, rom, or just simply replace the launcher, grab a dialer, etc and make it whatever I want. With my nexus I didnt have to do anything. It just all looks pretty good, only has a few tiny things thats annoying, and its 4.0 that isnt broken.

I guess what im sayin, If you dont mind being a beta tester, dealing with delayed updates because of the carrier/google nonsense, and pay for insurance or whatever. Just go nexus. Its alot of fun unless you're a picky rear end in a top hat (Or really do end up getting a few bad back to back, it happens, been there), but for all the ones that dont suck, I really think all of us are having a super time with it.

These are my opinions. No fact sheet data or anything, just from my purchase in dec til now.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 7, 2012

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Cojawfee posted:

As of right now, the Nexus doesn't have the latest software. At least on Verizon. They haven't released 4.0.4 yet.

Wait, that never actually went out? I just assumed I was at the bottom of the list or something for getting the update.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

adebisi lives posted:

So I'm eligible for an upgrade and I'm stuck between the galaxy nexus and the razr maxx. From what I've read the razr has better build quality and an awesome battery but its stuck in android update limbo for who knows how long. On the other hand the nexus has the latest software, a bigger screen, but it feels a bit flimsier it sounds like the battery/reception is kinda poo poo. So yea, I have no idea what to get, any input would be greatly appreciated.

IMO, once ICS gets pushed to the MAXX, it'll be, unquestionably, the best phone Verizon has. I have the Razr (regular) for my work phone, and I am very pleased with it. It's the first Android phone I've had in quite some time that I've been this truly satisfied with. There's only one single issue I can think of, which is that the Mobile Hotspot tends to drop its connection randomly, but otherwise it's a great piece of equipment. And the MAXX would, obviously, be even better.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

wattershed posted:

Wait, that never actually went out? I just assumed I was at the bottom of the list or something for getting the update.

Then I'm at the bottom with you.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:

big mean giraffe posted:

As of 4.0, Android OS is what the battery use screen lumps everything into that doesn't go into anything else. He's probably got a wakelock going on with something, which is why BetterBatteryStats is the best app ever. It'll tell you specifically which process is causing a partial wakelock and draining your battery.

This is not entirely true. My girlfriend's Nexus was having the same exact problem as his. She would take the phone off the charger at 8am, and it would it would be at 5% by 12:30pm, without touching it whatsoever, 4g/wifi off. Absolutely nothing showed up in better battery stats as a wake lock. Nothing at all. No amount of reboots did anything. It was always Android OS chewing up the battery. I have some screen shots of all categories in betterbatterystats that I can dig up.

I fixed it by rooting and flashing 4.0.4.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
Anecdote: my Nexus wasn't as bad as the one in this thread, but usually 20% of its battery life was spent in "Android OS". After upgrading to the most recent 4.0.4 leak, I haven't seen that at more than five percent. Disclaimer, I never ran any deep battery analysis, and while I don't remember changing any software on the last few days I cannot guarantee it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SpacedOut posted:

IMO, once ICS gets pushed to the MAXX, it'll be, unquestionably, the best phone Verizon has.
The lack of an unlockable bootloader and AOSP support are definitely downsides. Now, if you have no desire to root or custom ROM or that kind of thing, then sure, ICS on the MAXX definitely comes close to closing the gap. But for those who value these two properties of the Galaxy Nexus, the MAXX is simply insufficient.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

Anecdote: my Nexus wasn't as bad as the one in this thread, but usually 20% of its battery life was spent in "Android OS". After upgrading to the most recent 4.0.4 leak, I haven't seen that at more than five percent. Disclaimer, I never ran any deep battery analysis, and while I don't remember changing any software on the last few days I cannot guarantee it.

I'm hoping the same happens for me. I'm in a position pretty similar to what you described before 4.0.4. Grabbed a couple screenshots for anyone who's interested:

It may be worth noting that as of one update or another, Steam Mobile doesn't make a significant difference on battery life at all. Of course, this is also my first smartphone and this is from a day of fairly light use so I actually have no idea if this is good or bad.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The lack of an unlockable bootloader and AOSP support are definitely downsides. Now, if you have no desire to root or custom ROM or that kind of thing, then sure, ICS on the MAXX definitely comes close to closing the gap. But for those who value these two properties of the Galaxy Nexus, the MAXX is simply insufficient.

Except the MAXX is already rooted? :confused:

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Since it's my work phone, and technically owned by Verizon, I never root my devices.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

adebisi lives posted:

I'm in a similar position. I had planned to pick up a Nexus back when it first dropped, but I ended up letting it slip and only recently have enough cash to grab another nice phone. My friend suggests I don't get the Nexus (despite having it himself) because it's been out a while and to go with a HTC rezound instead, though not entirely sure why.

Either way will be a big step up from my OG Droid, but I still want to grab the Nexus because it's the one I've done research on. I have no idea of what else might be coming down the pipe for Verizon soon and I don't really want to sit on my current phone another 3 months waiting for another jesus phone. It's already been shutting down randomly on me.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Lothire posted:

I'm in a similar position. I had planned to pick up a Nexus back when it first dropped, but I ended up letting it slip and only recently have enough cash to grab another nice phone. My friend suggests I don't get the Nexus (despite having it himself) because it's been out a while and to go with a HTC rezound instead, though not entirely sure why.

Either way will be a big step up from my OG Droid, but I still want to grab the Nexus because it's the one I've done research on. I have no idea of what else might be coming down the pipe for Verizon soon and I don't really want to sit on my current phone another 3 months waiting for another jesus phone. It's already been shutting down randomly on me.

This is in no way an endorsement of either phone (although I love my Nexus) but "the Nexus has been out for a while" is a stupid reason for your friend to recommend a Rezound since it came out over a month earlier than the Nexus.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
I'm poking him about it but I think they had a special going on where you could get it for like $60, but I don't see an offer going on anymore.

He also suggested I should hang onto my phone for another month or two and see what drops. Like the Samsung Galaxy S III in June, but I don't know if Verizon will even get that (I also don't know anything about it). More importantly I don't know how well my phone is gonna hang in there - I live and breath off the GPS, last thing I want is to be without that.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Lothire posted:

My friend suggests I don't get the Nexus (despite having it himself) because it's been out a while and to go with a HTC rezound instead, though not entirely sure why.

Because it's poo poo.

Your friend is smart. Listen to your friend.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

^^^^^ yes, we know you hate your phone ^^^^^

Edit: anyone who asks me what smart phone they should get is told the following:

If you must have ICS and custom roms and don't mind going into the guts of a phone to tweak it to make it run great, get the Galaxy Nexus.

If you don't mind waiting for ICS, a pretty stable painless experience with no tweaks, and want ridiculous battery life, get the MAXX.

If you want a rock solid phone with good support, get an iPhone.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 7, 2012

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
I'm sorry that I'm being one of the million who asks, but I appreciate the summery JayKay.

Another question: Dad just broke his phone again. I'd like to grab a cheap Pre-paid phone and let him run with that, but I've no idea if I can just buy it and activate it like any normal phone, or if prepaid phones are somehow exempt from working on contract plans for Verizon. Any advise?

He wants the most basic, boring, caveman phone available but the only one like that in the store is both expensive as hell and still too technical for his liking. This one however looks perfect. Save for this prepaid business.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
You can't activate a pre-paid phone on postpaid service until it has been active for ~6 months. Your best bet is picking one up on craigslist or ebay.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The incredible 4G was announced officially today. No real surprises. 4" QHD LTE phone with the dual core S4 running ICS and Sense 4.0.

It really seems like an LTE phone for the masses and hopefully the S4 processor will do wonders for the battery life on LTE.

No release date, just "coming weeks."

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/05/07/htc-and-verizon-announce-the-droid-incredible-4g-lte-available-in-the-coming-weeks/

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

The incredible 4G was announced officially today. No real surprises. 4" QHD LTE phone with the dual core S4 running ICS and Sense 4.0.

It really seems like an LTE phone for the masses and hopefully the S4 processor will do wonders for the battery life on LTE.

No release date, just "coming weeks."

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/05/07/htc-and-verizon-announce-the-droid-incredible-4g-lte-available-in-the-coming-weeks/

Am I a weirdo for this phone actually exciting me? Finally Verizon's throwing us a 4G phone with NFC, a badass processor, and a great camera all in one package. Finally some sort of alternative to the Galaxy Nexus. It's like Verizon is getting its own little bastard version of the One S. The 1700mAh battery ain't bad and thankfully its removable too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ProjektorBoy posted:

Am I a weirdo for this phone actually exciting me? Finally Verizon's throwing us a 4G phone with NFC, a badass processor, and a great camera all in one package. Finally some sort of alternative to the Galaxy Nexus. It's like Verizon is getting its own little bastard version of the One S. The 1700mAh battery ain't bad and thankfully its removable too.

I sort of agree with you, I just wish it had an HD screen.

Though, SLCD (which I believe it is) with no onscreen buttons may work out to be a better looking screen with more usable resolution than the Galaxy Nexus even if it is qHD. 4" is a pretty nice pocket-able size too.

The big thing to watch for this phone is battery life on LTE. It will be our first indication as to how the S4 processor will affect battery life on Verizon's network.

I will also laugh if this launches with 4.0.3 before the Verizon Galaxy Nexus gets updated from 4.0.2.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
drat, the Incredible 2 is a nice looking phone. Good specs and a 4 inch screen...

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Do you mean the HD? I've always had a soft spot for the incredible line of phones.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

incoherent posted:

Do you mean the HD? I've always had a soft spot for the incredible line of phones.

Yeah, woops :downs:

Apr 7, 2003

I got tired of waiting and installed the IMM76K leak for the GN and it has completely fixed my battery issues. I went from getting six hours out of a battery to being at 30% after 26 hours with some pretty heavy usage.

Why has Verizon been sitting on this update for ~3 months now?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Spaced Out is literally my Techno Jesus.

Unlimited is back on :getin:

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 8, 2012

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Tedious_Bastard posted:

I got tired of waiting and installed the IMM76K leak for the GN and it has completely fixed my battery issues. I went from getting six hours out of a battery to being at 30% after 26 hours with some pretty heavy usage.

Why has Verizon been sitting on this update for ~3 months now?

No idea about Verizon, but did you install only the Radios for IMM76K, the ROM only, or both? I'm curious to see what really impacts the battery life. I flashed the latest official radios, but I'm still running Liquid. If battery life is like that, I can easily make the jump from Liquid to the stock rooted IMM76K.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
His battery reporting is more in line with what I've been hearing for the gnex - aka substantially improved battery life.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

When I powered my GNex on this morning, it displayed that Android was updating. However, I am running the older leaked 4.0.4 and have been for a while. Did I just miss out on the official update? :ohdear:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hands on with the Incredible 4G.

http://www.androidcentral.com/hands-htc-droid-incredible-4g-lte

Seems like a really nice smaller phone. It's a shame that it doesn't have the Imagesense stuff that the other HTC One variants have though.

In the image gallery, you can really see how much smaller it is than the Galaxy Nexus.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

kensei posted:

When I powered my GNex on this morning, it displayed that Android was updating. However, I am running the older leaked 4.0.4 and have been for a while. Did I just miss out on the official update? :ohdear:

I didn't get anything. I just want my update and don't want to install the leaked one

Apr 7, 2003

yamdankee posted:

No idea about Verizon, but did you install only the Radios for IMM76K, the ROM only, or both? I'm curious to see what really impacts the battery life. I flashed the latest official radios, but I'm still running Liquid. If battery life is like that, I can easily make the jump from Liquid to the stock rooted IMM76K.

I installed the whole package, no root and no unlocked boot loader.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Tedious_Bastard posted:

I installed the whole package, no root and no unlocked boot loader.

I'm new to this crap, is there anything to watch out for doing that or is it a fairly safe thing to do?

Apr 7, 2003

It uses a utility for temporary root so you can put the update in a normally unwritable part of the filesystem. Because IMM76K is signed the stock boot loader sees it and updates.

It's as safe as rooting and unlocking, I guess, take that as you will. It's horse poo poo that we have to do that to get a functioning phone but it is what it is.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The only potentially annoying thing about installing the leak is if it turns out NOT to be the OTA, you may have to roll back to a previous version to get back on the update track later. That involves wiping the phone.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I think the Incredible 4G might finally be the upgrade from my original Incredible. I like the smaller size, and hopefully it'll be rootable/flashable like the original. I've played with the Razr Maxx and Galaxy Nexus, and I just can't get comfortable with the larger size. Plus they're supposedly lighting up LTE in my area in July/August.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

Hands on with the Incredible 4G.

http://www.androidcentral.com/hands-htc-droid-incredible-4g-lte

Seems like a really nice smaller phone. It's a shame that it doesn't have the Imagesense stuff that the other HTC One variants have though.

In the image gallery, you can really see how much smaller it is than the Galaxy Nexus.

This is seriously like the perfect size phone for me. Too bad my upgrade is in March 2013 :(

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
I'm Seriously considering buying a verizon plan with a Motorola droid 4 LTE, but frankly, the pricing seems mildly retarded.

Jumping on my friend's account, it'd cost, between the two of us, $170 a month for his phone, his grandfathered unlimited data/email plan, our pooled minutes and then a separate data 4gb for my phone, and another charge for texts on my phone.

without me, he pays about $70.

Going solo, I'm looking at about a $110ish a month, for most likely the lowest tier on everything but texts.

Frankly, gently caress, that's alot, and it really just looks like i'm loving myself over either way. What is wrong?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

frodnonnag posted:

I'm Seriously considering buying a verizon plan with a Motorola droid 4 LTE, but frankly, the pricing seems mildly retarded.

Jumping on my friend's account, it'd cost, between the two of us, $170 a month for his phone, his grandfathered unlimited data/email plan, our pooled minutes and then a separate data 4gb for my phone, and another charge for texts on my phone.

without me, he pays about $70.

Going solo, I'm looking at about a $110ish a month, for most likely the lowest tier on everything but texts.

Frankly, gently caress, that's alot, and it really just looks like i'm loving myself over either way. What is wrong?

That seems really high. My wife and I have the Family 700 plan, unlimited data and texts and we pay about $140 after tax and my employee discount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

JayKay posted:

That seems really high. My wife and I have the Family 700 plan, unlimited data and texts and we pay about $140 after tax and my employee discount.

Yeah, but whats your employee discount?

• Locked thread