Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

LittleBob posted:

Someone suggested using them for specific folders, so I might just use them for torrents or Steam games unless there's a better use.
Torrents and Steam games is probably the worst thing you could use them for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

LittleBob posted:

Also crossposting:

I'm about to put together a new IVB build, and I happen to have two Intel X25-V 40GB SSDs spare. For TOP SECRET GOVERNMENT REASONS, I cannot sell these or give them away. So, is there any practical use for such small drives in a new build? Could I shove my page file on them instead of my main SSD?

Someone suggested using them for specific folders, so I might just use them for torrents or Steam games unless there's a better use.

Set one of them up as a cache to your big mechanical secondary.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

... I have 8GB of RAM and an i5 running at 4.5Ghz, but I still noticed tons of pauses/stuttering/lack of responsiveness to the controls all the time when a game had to hit the HD for some sound file or effect it hadn't preloaded properly. ...

Honestly, it sounds like either you're running something off a 4200 RPM laptop drive, or you're basing this off a hard drive with a ton of bad sectors that should have been retired already. Compared to SSDs, hard drives are slow, but they are not THAT slow.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Stolen from Shacknews:

sanchez posted:

Crucial M4 256GB SSD for $189.99 after $10 coupon. Free shipping.

http://www.buy.com/prod/crucial-m4-256gb-2-5-sata-iii-solid-state-drive-ssd/221150375.html?s=&&

Coupon: http://www.buy.com/retail/coupon.asp?prid=82955137&&
Just make a new account with a different email if you're an existing customer.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Well, that sold out fast.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So I just got a 128gb Crucial m4 SSD because how could I pass up a 52% off deal on it on amazon. Is there anything special I really really need to know about it or can I just hook it up and install windows on it like I did the other hard drive?

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.

Ramadu posted:

So I just got a 128gb Crucial m4 SSD because how could I pass up a 52% off deal on it on amazon. Is there anything special I really really need to know about it or can I just hook it up and install windows on it like I did the other hard drive?

You should enable AHCI in your BIOS before installing Windows, but other than that I don't think there's much unusual you need to do.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Ramadu posted:

Check the firmware revision (for example with Crystal Disk Info). If you're for some odd reason still on a revision lower than 0009, you will need to upgrade it sooner or later due to the 5000 hour bug (after roughly 5000 hours running, the drive will lock up and blue screen every hour).

You should be ok though. Firmware 0009 fixed that and we're now on revision 000F.
The firmware update is painless and pretty straightforward, files are available from crucial.com.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

And aside from that there are a lot of lovely C developers out there that make games that don't even know how much RAM your system has, much less utilize it properly, resulting in lots of games that keep freeing memory all over the place at the application level even when you've 6GB still free, and then it needs to go back to disk 30 seconds later.

Software doesn't know or care how much RAM you have because it's not supposed to. That's the OS's problem. It will choose what files to cache in memory unless explicitly told not to (which games shouldn't, because that would be retarded, although that's no guarantee).

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
My mother is a pretty heavy computer user (lots of browser tabs and word processing) and complains about it being unbearably slow. I've looked at it numerous times and nothing seems particularly out of the ordinary other than having a lot of things open all the time. I built it for her a couple years ago (quad core, 8 gigs ram) so it should be sufficient for her needs.

I'm guessing the bottleneck is the 1 TB hard drive. I'm thinking about putting a 240gb Corsair m4 in there to speed things up. The problem is she requires a lot of storage space for docs and stuff.

How can I use her old drive to store her "My Documents" folder, and use the SSD for OS / programs. It would be best if this was completely transparent to her. Is there a way to map these folders to another drive? She's running Windows 7.

Thanks!

Treytor fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 7, 2012

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Treytor posted:

How can I use her old drive to store her "My Documents" folder, and use the SSD for OS / programs. It would be best if this was completely transparent to her. Is there a way to map these folders to another drive? She's running Windows 7.
In Explorer, right click on a special folder (not the library) like My Documents, select properties and go to the Location tab.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Shoulda known it was so easy. Thank you!

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
Newegg has a sale for the crucial m4 128gb today. I just bought mine on amazon 2 days ago for $124 :smith:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290707134441

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Treytor posted:

I'm guessing the bottleneck is the 1 TB hard drive.
It's a little silly to just throw a $200 SSD in the machine without even checking to see what the problem is. There's no reason a 7200rpm HDD that isn't failing should slow a machine down, so you're likely not addressing the issue. At best there might be a system issue causing excessive I/O load that an SSD could mask, but the system is still not going to perform like one that doesn't have the problem.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Alereon posted:

It's a little silly to just throw a $200 SSD in the machine without even checking to see what the problem is. There's no reason a 7200rpm HDD that isn't failing should slow a machine down, so you're likely not addressing the issue. At best there might be a system issue causing excessive I/O load that an SSD could mask, but the system is still not going to perform like one that doesn't have the problem.
This man is correct. An 8GB quad-core should not be having any issues with wordprocessing and web-browsing, even with a lot of tabs. Now, if you're really talking a lot of tabs, one thing that may be helpful (it certainly was for me) was to move off the normal FireFox version (you aren't letting her use IE, are you?) and on to FireFox x64, AKA Minefield. It's a lot better about how it does memory management with tabs, which may very well do more about the issue than a new drive would. A few plugins don't work on x64, but unless it's something she specifically needs, it's certainly worth a look.

You have checked her computer for viruses, spyware, maleware, etc., right?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
You don't want to use 64-bit versions of Firefox, they're a lot slower than 32-bit builds because the JavaScript engine can only generate optimized native code in the 32-bit version. You shouldn't be getting anywhere near the limits of the amount of memory the browser can address unless you have a truly incredible number of tabs open. The Nightly (Minefield) and Aurora builds are faster and more responsive than the release builds, but that's only because they're newer and incorporate more recent features that haven't filtered down to the release builds yet. The current release build is Firefox 12, and it's pretty far along.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
I generally run with anywhere from one to three dozen tabs open at a given time for various reasons. Switching from the standard x32 to the x64 version of FF substantially improved its abilities to handle numerous large pages at once. The JS engine is a bit slower, yes, but in actual use that seems to have a pretty ignorable impact.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

I run a goddamned assload of tabs (we're talking hundreds here) in Firefox and I still don't get anywehre near the 32-bit memory addressing limit. If you run lots of tabs, the main thing you need to do with Firefox is set 'browser.sessionstore.max_concurrent_tabs' in about:config to 0. This will make Firefox load a tab into memory only when you click on it.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Kairos posted:

I run a goddamned assload of tabs (we're talking hundreds here) in Firefox

Dare I ask why?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Alereon posted:

You don't want to use 64-bit versions of Firefox, they're a lot slower than 32-bit builds because the JavaScript engine can only generate optimized native code in the 32-bit version. You shouldn't be getting anywhere near the limits of the amount of memory the browser can address unless you have a truly incredible number of tabs open. The Nightly (Minefield) and Aurora builds are faster and more responsive than the release builds, but that's only because they're newer and incorporate more recent features that haven't filtered down to the release builds yet. The current release build is Firefox 12, and it's pretty far along.

I've been using Waterfox for the last couple months and I've had way less issues with it than with 32-bit.

Then again, I usually do have a truly incredible number of tabs open.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kairos posted:

I run a goddamned assload of tabs (we're talking hundreds here) in Firefox and I still don't get anywehre near the 32-bit memory addressing limit. If you run lots of tabs, the main thing you need to do with Firefox is set 'browser.sessionstore.max_concurrent_tabs' in about :config to 0. This will make Firefox load a tab into memory only when you click on it.

Firefox 14alpha (Nightly) now does this by default, loading only active tabs on restore or on focus, and it works fine.

Also, I run Nightly with 11 windows and over 600 tabs, and event though it doesn't usually get over 1.4GB of memory consumed, the 64-bit version is markedly faster than the 32-bit. Anecdotal, but there you go.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Kairos posted:

I run a goddamned assload of tabs (we're talking hundreds here) in Firefox and I still don't get anywehre near the 32-bit memory addressing limit. If you run lots of tabs, the main thing you need to do with Firefox is set 'browser.sessionstore.max_concurrent_tabs' in about :config to 0. This will make Firefox load a tab into memory only when you click on it.
The issue is not running out of addressable memory, per-se, but how FireFox handles the paging of tabs. The x64 version is quite a bit speedier in my experience in swapping around between a bunch of tabs. I am not sure of the low-level mechanics of why this is, but I tried playing with various settings in the x32 version as well, and it just never measured up.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
One funny problem with 64-bit Firefox is that when (not if) you get a memory leak, it can balloon out of control.

At one point, Firefox was using 9 gigs of memory.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The gently caress are you guys doing with a couple hundred tabs open?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

fookolt posted:

One funny problem with 64-bit Firefox is that when (not if) you get a memory leak, it can balloon out of control.

At one point, Firefox was using 9 gigs of memory.

14 helps there, closing a tab now kills the DOM for that tab, regardless of any open handles. Breaks some extensions, but stops most memory leaks dead. Extension authors can fix their stuff to deal with it, I'm fine with this change.

Bob Morales posted:

Laziness and a bunch of server/site monitoring pages. I don't care about 'my rams' so I'm fine with firefox using it.

foundtomorrow
Feb 10, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I am also wondering this exact question and what monitor can handle showing that many in rows while still seeing the tab title?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

foundtomorrow posted:

I am also wondering this exact question and what monitor can handle showing that many in rows while still seeing the tab title?

30" and 20" monitors + tab groups + quick tab search + 24GB of memory + weeks of uptime + laziness is how I end up in this position.

I basically never close programs these days unless they monopolize a specific resource (digital audio/video workstations or gaming).

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

foundtomorrow posted:

FF doesn't use rows of tabs: if you get that many open, it lets you scroll left/right to see more. That way you never lose visual space. If you need to, you can also keep a few different FF windows open, each with their own set of tabs, for organization.

Personally, I don't get to hundreds, but I have 20-30 open at any point in time. A bunch are for different email/other accounts, a few for forums, a bunch for network and machine monitoring, and then a few for whatever else I'm loving around with right at the moment. FF x64 and 8GB of RAM makes it pretty much a non-issue keeping that many open. Three monitors also help, since I can just dedicate one entirely to FF and not feel bad about it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

I have 132 open all the time, because I'm too lazy to close them and use open tabs as reminders for me to do stuff. It works pretty well on a portrait monitor, actually (4 rows of tabs).

16GB of RAM, only 4GB free with an average amount of work open at any given time.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

movax posted:

I have 132 open all the time, because I'm too lazy to close them and use open tabs as reminders for me to do stuff. It works pretty well on a portrait monitor, actually (4 rows of tabs).

16GB of RAM, only 4GB free with an average amount of work open at any given time.

RAM is a lot like hard drive space: it won't stay unused for long. But unlike hard drive space, that's actually a good thing!

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/vertical-tabs/

The tab addict's godsend. :v:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Tree style tabs is the gateway drug.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

The OP mentions that a SSD doesn't affect video encoding - what about recording (e.g. recording gameplay footage with fraps)? The recording itself would be dependent on the CPU, but it still has to write it to disk. Or is it a non-issue?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dreggon posted:

The OP mentions that a SSD doesn't affect video encoding - what about recording (e.g. recording gameplay footage with fraps)? The recording itself would be dependent on the CPU, but it still has to write it to disk. Or is it a non-issue?

It's normally not going to make a huge effect on operations where you're not limited by the disk, but instead by the CPU. It might be a tad faster with a faster disk but that's it.

But, you could see a gain if you were doing other disk-intensive stuff in the background - platter drives turn to molasses when you have more than one program using the disk at one time

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

fookolt posted:

RAM is a lot like hard drive space: it won't stay unused for long.
For example, running a Win7 VM from a RAM drive is a legit business use for excess RAM:

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Dreggon posted:

It seems like it would help if you are using something like Dxtory.

Also, :lol: at that CDM screenshot above.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I just bought a Crucial M4 128GB yesterday and was wondering what is the best way to transfer everything that is on my current HD to this? Would cloning my HD and then putting it on the SSD be my best bet? Or should I really reinstall everything on the SSD? Are there any good begginer walk throughs for the SSD? I noticed people mentioned enabling AHCI in the bios before installing windows, what if I'm going to have a regular HD in it as well? And should I enable that before I move the cloned version of windows over?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

fyallm posted:

I just bought a Crucial M4 128GB yesterday and was wondering what is the best way to transfer everything that is on my current HD to this? Would cloning my HD and then putting it on the SSD be my best bet? Or should I really reinstall everything on the SSD? Are there any good begginer walk throughs for the SSD? I noticed people mentioned enabling AHCI in the bios before installing windows, what if I'm going to have a regular HD in it as well? And should I enable that before I move the cloned version of windows over?

If you really have less than 120GB of stuff on your C: drive, I salute your dedication to partitioning and keeping stuff on other drives. You could certainly use a disk cloning tool like Acronis (paid) or Clonezilla (free) to do a complete transfer of stuff to the drive. You should have your SATA controller put to AHCI no matter what, as it enables some hard drive features. You should be able to enable AHCI whenever the heck you feel like, as I'm pretty sure Windows 7 deals with it well. AHCI isn't an SSD thing, but rather a SATA hard drive thing. The only reason it's not always enabled is some legacy OS or hardware support.

I think the vast majority of people moving to an SSD main drive are stuck doing a reinstall, as my C: drive is a mostly full 2TB disk. Windows 7 has TRIM support and should natively know not to defrag the SSD, so just treat it like a normal hard drive.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

DrDork posted:

You have checked her computer for viruses, spyware, maleware, etc., right?

She uses Chrome. Yes I have checked for viruses and all that, and she is just fine. She's going out of town this weekend and is leaving it with me so I will investigate further as to what the real problem might be. She never turns it off and leaves things open all the time. It behaves like there is a memory leak somewhere, but I was never able to find specifically what it was that was causing the slowdown. I think I do remember a lot of thrashing though which is what made me think of an SSD in the first place.

Thanks for the feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

fyallm posted:

Would cloning my HD and then putting it on the SSD be my best bet?

I would go with a nice clean Windows 7 installation, getting a new hard drive is the perfect time to start fresh.

• Locked thread