Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Elentor posted:

That's a side-effect from something called positional value. Rarity plays an important value in human's perceptions of things. Just look at History (or diamonds).

Sorry for the lack of updates, I can't even say it's work this time. Health issues :smith:

This guy are sick!

Get well soon. I hope it's not anything too serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

Elentor posted:

Sorry for the lack of updates, I can't even say it's work this time. Health issues :smith:

Take it easy - better to rest and come back 100% than push yourself and drag it out, we're all still here

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Rest and good health are more important than LP "obligations". Hope you feel better.

SamuraiSnake
Jul 1, 2010

Elentor posted:

That's a side-effect from something called positional value. Rarity plays an important value in human's perceptions of things. Just look at History (or diamonds).

Just update at your own pace if you can, but don't push yourself too hard.

Get well soon.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

Scarcity leading to value is one of the assumptions of capitalism, but it's far from being the whole of the definition, and in any event predates capitalism by rather a lot.

Ehh, I guess Consumerism would have been a better description, but that's also very unspecific. Elentor summed it up better, so :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Elentor posted:

Dude spoilers

Chicken Biscuits
Oct 17, 2008
Does this count as fanart? :) I just finished it today:

This cross stitch took me about 6 months to do. It's about 8 inches wide and 11 inches tall, and 46 different colors. It was a huge pain, with there being lots of areas with just one or two stitches of a single color, and you may find a couple mis-colored stitches, but I think she turned out well!

Thanks, Elentor, for an amazing LP! Yours is about the only one I actively search for updates.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Chicken Biscuits posted:

Holy crap! You stitched that!

I thought for a second, why is someone uploading pixelly images of Aeri-:stare: they're not pixels...

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 12:14 on May 4, 2012

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.
That looks really, really good. Did you design the pattern yourself or did you get it from a book or something?

Chicken Biscuits
Oct 17, 2008
I got the pattern from a website, but I can't remember the URL; I'll have to find it later. But she made patterns for all the FF7 and FF8 characters, as well as Sailor Moon and other anime.

Thanks for the compliments! :) My next project is the Sophia painting from Xenogears; someone was kind enough to make a pattern of it for me. There goes another year of my life.

NatashaQuick
Jun 30, 2007

No Mr. Bond,
I expect you to die.

Chicken Biscuits posted:

I got the pattern from a website, but I can't remember the URL; I'll have to find it later. But she made patterns for all the FF7 and FF8 characters, as well as Sailor Moon and other anime.

Thanks for the compliments! :) My next project is the Sophia painting from Xenogears; someone was kind enough to make a pattern of it for me. There goes another year of my life.

Haha if you do find these I need them for science.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

Chicken Biscuits posted:

Stitchy Aeris

Was that done on 20 count? Some of the bigger stuff is impossible to do on 14 count because the canvas just doesn't come out big enough. That's good stuff, I've been meaning to do a full set of FF6 portraits, but they're miles easier being 16-bit n'all

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

NatashaQuick posted:

Please tell me you won't crossbreed cross-stitch. :ohdear:

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.

Phoenix Taichou posted:

Was that done on 20 count? Some of the bigger stuff is impossible to do on 14 count because the canvas just doesn't come out big enough. That's good stuff, I've been meaning to do a full set of FF6 portraits, but they're miles easier being 16-bit n'all

Yeah, I did a world map with character sprites for FF1, but that was 8-bit. That looks more akin to the Mona Lisa and Ship of Fools ones that I did. That level of detail on an 18 count fabric can be a royal pain in the rear end.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

NatashaQuick posted:

For Science! :science:

Hojo what have you done!? You've furthered cross-stiching, but at what cost!?

Chicken Biscuits
Oct 17, 2008
It was done on 18-count, which I found is pretty good for me. :) I did find the website (http://superstitch.110mb.com/) but it doesn't seem to be working anymore, or at least not at the moment. But spritestitch.com is a good one for other Final Fantasy stuff.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

Chicken Biscuits posted:

Something I could never hope to accomplish

Holy hell that's incredible! I can only imagine how much work went into that. Kudos to you on that~

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chicken Biscuits posted:

Does this count as fanart? :) I just finished it today:

This cross stitch took me about 6 months to do. It's about 8 inches wide and 11 inches tall, and 46 different colors. It was a huge pain, with there being lots of areas with just one or two stitches of a single color, and you may find a couple mis-colored stitches, but I think she turned out well!

Thanks, Elentor, for an amazing LP! Yours is about the only one I actively search for updates.

Wow, this is amazing. Congratulations on that.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

Golden_Zucchini posted:

Yeah, I did a world map with character sprites for FF1, but that was 8-bit. That looks more akin to the Mona Lisa and Ship of Fools ones that I did. That level of detail on an 18 count fabric can be a royal pain in the rear end.

Chicken Biscuits posted:

It was done on 18-count, which I found is pretty good for me. :) I did find the website (http://superstitch.110mb.com/) but it doesn't seem to be working anymore, or at least not at the moment. But spritestitch.com is a good one for other Final Fantasy stuff.

I was going to send you a message but you don't have PM. I've only been working on smaller ones, like some Scott Pilgrim sprites, but I'm starting work on doing an old Atari 8-Bit title screen, will probably do some more after. Somebody did a stitch of the Zelda: A Link to the Past light world map which was pretty ace.

NatashaQuick
Jun 30, 2007

No Mr. Bond,
I expect you to die.
Thanks Chicken Biscuits, I can't think of a better waste of time than that site. :D

Edit: Amaterasu!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Last time Taft got her 7th and last level. Also backstory and gently caress theme parks I guess.

Entering Gongaga starts a fight with the Turks. This fight gives EXP, so sadly no Fairy Tale, Titan, Mystify, or explanation as to why Rude won't punch Taft to death. Instead I'll have to have her kill herself next time they actually fight.

It's like Romeo and Juliet, except with grenades and theft.

It's scripted. I have to fight things here.

Yeah, it's the place where the Study of Planet Life beg-

I've played this game a half-dozen times jackass! :argh:

Rex's backstory is alarmingly similar to Aerated's. Parents died protecting him, so he's the last of his kind.

I buy CLOUD and Aerated new weapons, for the extra link and magic.

And this is why I got so much Ether money. HP Plus is a very important Materia.

It's a substantial boost to survivability.

Taft that's not how space works you idiot you've not been able to even see the sky for the past five years what the hell

That's two words, what is this the idiocy chamer?

Ice T executed his first pig here.

Anyway since I'm keeping Taft at level 7 forever and I only have one free slot, Aerated gets a break for once.

The holes that aren't the switch have no-run encounters.

The hole with the switch was the last one I checked. :shepicide:

These spikes are actually helpful.

They put Rex Ronan and Taft on death's door for me.

Except Taft was already dead so the spikes jolted her to life.

OH BOY

WHAT FUN

No seriously I love Added Effect. When I get swank-rear end lategame materia like Contain it'll be superfun.

So. These spiders. I have to fight two of them.

Their only really dangerous attack is their percentile damage one, and that fills CLOUD's limit break for a Cross Slash. They're open to Stop and Paralyze so this guy doesn't move that much.

I think Elentor was still in the Shinra building when he hit this level.

The second one gets shrunk by Mini. Transform works wonders sometimes.

Then it gets really goofy when frog kicks in.

The Gi Nattak's flames cast Fire2 sometimes. I don't want a random one to be the end of CLOUD.

Shinra has great othrodontists you know.

And that was a boss!

CLOUD hits level 12, hopefully his last for a while.

Hell yeah it was. Taft and Rex Ronan have been dead for like 20 minutes.

"In his day he was also an Experimental Surgeon. He used a radical science called 'anesthesia'."

And so Rex Ronan gets a silly weapon that actually makes his attack the highest in the party but who cares, really? It won't help him fight Blackburn's microbots. :smith:

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Added Effect really is one of the best materia, no doubts about it.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I love this thread and the updates from both of you.

I'm a dummy, though, so I don't understand "Entering Gongaga starts a fight with the Turks. This fight gives EXP, so sadly no Fairy Tale, Titan, Mystify, or explanation as to why Rude won't punch Taft to death. Instead I'll have to have her kill herself next time they actually fight.". Have I forgotten a love storyline where you won't let Rude kill Tifa?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Golbez posted:

I'm a dummy, though, so I don't understand "Entering Gongaga starts a fight with the Turks. This fight gives EXP, so sadly no Fairy Tale, Titan, Mystify, or explanation as to why Rude won't punch Taft to death. Instead I'll have to have her kill herself next time they actually fight.". Have I forgotten a love storyline where you won't let Rude kill Tifa?

Mechanically, in any fight that involves both Rude and Tifa, Rude will not attack Tifa.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Golbez posted:

I think Elentor went into how Rude's AI doesn't target Tifa/Taft unless she's the last living party member.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

a medical mystery posted:

I think Elentor went into how Rude's AI doesn't target Tifa/Taft unless she's the last living party member.

That, and the scene in Gongaga is the only time Rude talks about his crush.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I, too, want my attacks to inflict MBarrier on my enemies.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Whoa. I somehow completely forgot that. Neat little piece of programming.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

The White Dragon posted:

I, too, want my attacks to inflict MBarrier on my enemies.

But but then their Cure spells won't be as effective! :ohdear: YOU MONSTER

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
What the heck is "peerless"?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Verbose posted:

What the heck is "peerless"?

I want to say it's Aerated's yellow glowy invincibility, but don't hold me to that.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Vil posted:

I want to say it's Aerated's yellow glowy invincibility, but don't hold me to that.

That's it exactly. It's only granted by two of Aeris's limit breaks. Sephiroth has auto-peerless in the flashback.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

And even if that's the case, he will randomly skip his turns (showing a dialog box with his usual "........." instead).

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's scripted. I have to fight things here.

If you stop the car right before Cosmo Canyon you can just walk in without it ever breaking. Wouldn't that also remove any scripted fight?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Man with Hat posted:

If you stop the car right before Cosmo Canyon you can just walk in without it ever breaking. Wouldn't that also remove any scripted fight?

There's no scripted fight associated with the buggy breaking. He's talking about the entire Cosmo Canyon quest.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

George posted:

There's no scripted fight associated with the buggy breaking. He's talking about the entire Cosmo Canyon quest.

That makes about a billion times more sense than the way I read it. Thanks.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Man with Hat posted:

Can you, say, stop the buggy, walk to Cosmo Canyon to trigger dialogue, then just go back to the buggy without doing the Cave of Gi? Or will the buggy break down no matter what until the whole sequence is completed?

I suppose you'd be leaving Red XIII behind, but no big loss...

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Schwartzcough posted:

Can you, say, stop the buggy, walk to Cosmo Canyon to trigger dialogue, then just go back to the buggy without doing the Cave of Gi? Or will the buggy break down no matter what until the whole sequence is completed?

I suppose you'd be leaving Red XIII behind, but no big loss...

It triggers until you've done the Cave of Gi.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

On my first playthrough, my buggy never broke down because I saw Cosmo Canyon, said, "hey, a town!", and went the rest of the way on foot without triggering the breakdown. It wasn't until my second playthrough that I saw the event.

Replay value!

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

ArchWizard posted:

On my first playthrough, my buggy never broke down because I saw Cosmo Canyon, said, "hey, a town!", and went the rest of the way on foot without triggering the breakdown. It wasn't until my second playthrough that I saw the event.

Replay value!

That's weird, because the first time I played I managed to skip by Cosmo Canyon too. But when I got to Nibelheim none of the scripts went off. I could stay in the inn, and bum around the town, but nothing would happen. I finally looked up a guide, went back to Cosmo Canyon, and everything picked back up, but I don't think it's possible to continue the story without doing the cave of Gi.

• Locked thread