Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Fuego Fish posted:

I think the term is "trunk nuts" :v:

There's your next thread title.

Is there any proven way of finding abandoned mine shafts easily? I was playing a new world and realized that I've never really seen one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I run into abandoned mine shafts all the time just digging around and exploring. They seem pretty common. I suppose the easiest way to find one though would be to look for surface ravines. Mineshafts cut through them pretty often, leading to some pretty weird but cool terrain. I've never actually seen an entrance to a mineshaft on the surface though, which is odd since you'd think they all start there.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there any point to cookies now?

Has there ever been a point to cookies?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Schwarzwald posted:

Leave them in a chest with a bucket of milk by a chimney and go to sleep. When you wake up they'll be gone and be replaced with either diamonds or coal.

Only works in snow biomes.

Also isn't real, but should be.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I know it's been a while since I've played but when did clay become so common? It's literally all over the ocean floor, just ripe for the picking.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Jamesman posted:

Cocoa-nuts.

So are we getting a new tree type, or are they just shoe-horning these onto the current jungle trees?

It looks like they're going to be on jungle trees. Right now, if you grow a jungle tree outside of the jungle, their leaf blocks will sort of look like they have the bean pods on them.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

change my name posted:

I know it's been a while since I've played but when did clay become so common? It's literally all over the ocean floor, just ripe for the picking.

Sure, there's clay at the bottom of the ocean, but it's still hard to find clay where you can reasonably obtain it. For me, at least.

Which sucks because I wanted to make a brick lighthouse. Well, scratch that. I wanted to make a lighthouse out a hard material besides boring grey stone.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

drat, I was all set to starve for a week so I could buy Minecraft 360 until I read about the map size. That's really disappointing. Hopefully there'll be a demo to try out to see if it's as bad as it sounds.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Jamesman posted:

Sure, there's clay at the bottom of the ocean, but it's still hard to find clay where you can reasonably obtain it. For me, at least.

Which sucks because I wanted to make a brick lighthouse. Well, scratch that. I wanted to make a lighthouse out a hard material besides boring grey stone.

Swamp biomes are filthy with clay

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Jamesman posted:

Make a bathysphere out of a ladder and block of dirt.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Hey hey

I just started playing vanilla last night, and I was wondering if anybody else can confirm something I'm seeing performance-wise. I'm a real stickler for smooth framerate and scrolling and I was getting all sorts of little hitches while running full screen 1080 even though my framerate was locked at my screen's refresh, 60. I experimented with my GPU's vsync settings a bit but it didn't help.

I was strafing back and forth around a marker obelisk I had built on a hilltop, with far off vistas in every direction. I then noticed the block culling in effect on a very distant chunk as I made it pass behind the obelisk and into sight again.

It gave me an idea, so I turned Advanced OpenGL off and it cleared my framerate hitches right up. The OP said the option would boost performance, and maybe it does on older machines, but my system can draw out to the far limit without dropping below refresh so it had the opposite effect on me. Has anybody else noticed this?

I don't mean any e-dickery, but if it's relevant, I'm using a GTX680, I'm running the game off a fresh SSD, and I'm certain I'm using 64-bit JAVA because that was the only version that I installed.

Also what does the fpsLimit option in options.txt actually do? I set it to 60 and then ran the game with vsync off and it went triple digits all the same. Maybe setting vsync to off in nvidia control panel is a Force_Off parameter instead of simply Not_Forced_On, I dunno. But I assumed the game would limit it's own rendering based on that option.

Thank you.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Jamesman posted:

This is pretty big actually. I'm surprised they haven't added a way to color stone or something, because you're pretty much stuck using wool, which doesn't have a decent texture to it. I always use nether brick for roofing because it's the only thing that looks like shingles besides stone brick and stone slabs.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BlueBayou posted:

Swamp biomes are filthy with clay

Pretty much, yeah. There's a swamp biome across the way from my base I'm busy raping for clay. It's all 1 or 2 blocks below the surface of the water and I've gotten half a dozen stacks of brick and barely scratched the supply.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Schwarzwald posted:

I think for a while cookies were the only food that would stack.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

CaptainCaveman posted:

I think for a while cookies were the only food that would stack.

I would say a good balance would be that they're everywhere, but only fill up one hunger slot. Easy to make, but you have to make a lot in order for anything to really happen.

EDIT: vvvv Good to hear.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 9, 2012

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Quick trip report on Xbox Minecraft. I've only played through the tutorial so far (but already got half the game's achievements), but it feels very solid. Graphically it's very glossy. Still the same crappy textures we know and love, but low resolution art assets have never looked so high res. Menu text is a bit small and scratchy though.

The controller works really well, and there are 3 default layouts but no option to remap the buttons as yet, and no option to turn off the context sensitive button prompts. Feels really nice wandering around with twin sticks though, and it's really much more comfortable than keyboard and mouse.

Even in the tutorial the world size already looks pretty small. I took a quick walk through a village, then a short mine cart ride, and already I'm halfway towards the edge of the map. Even just saving out of the tutorial took a good 30 - 60 seconds though, and I barely moved a few blocks around. I guess they'd need to sort out a bunch of stuff under the hood before boosting world size.

Anyway, I'm going to go and sperg out digging holes for a few hours. First impressions of the port, world size notwithstanding, are good. Rock solid, buttery smooth, very pretty (well, you know, for what it is), and decent controls.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Copper Vein posted:

performance stuff

If you haven't already, look into the mod called OptiFine, gives you much more control over your video settings, you'll probably be able to tweak things to take advantage of your 680 that way.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

I wouldn't mind the world size so much if, instead of a giant invisible wall, it teleported you to the other side of the map.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

NINbuntu 64 posted:

I wouldn't mind the world size so much if, instead of a giant invisible wall, it teleported you to the other side of the map.

Notch is a flat earther.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

The Nether is in the 360 version, right? What happens if you build a portal, go out a fair distance, and build another portal inside the Nether? Will it take you back to the overworld beyond the invisible walls?

Comedy option: The Nether also has invisible walls that restrict it to 1/8 the size of the overworld.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Laser Spider posted:

The Nether is in the 360 version, right? What happens if you build a portal, go out a fair distance, and build another portal inside the Nether? Will it take you back to the overworld beyond the invisible walls?

Comedy option: The Nether also has invisible walls that restrict it to 1/8 the size of the overworld.

The "comedy option" is probably what happens, yes.

What are the world sizes on the other Minecraft clones (those that are on the XBox marketplace), anyway?

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 9, 2012

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

HardDisk posted:

What are the world sizes on the other Minecraft clones (those that are on the XBox marketplace), anyway?

I haven't messed around with them too much, but I think FortressCraft(?) has invisible walls. However, it's a lot deeper. I saw someone digging down 4000 blocks deep or something like that. They had dug a pit all the way down, and it literally took a full minute or so to fall from ground level to the bottom.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shnakepup posted:

I haven't messed around with them too much, but I think FortressCraft(?) has invisible walls. However, it's a lot deeper. I saw someone digging down 4000 blocks deep or something like that. They had dug a pit all the way down, and it literally took a full minute or so to fall from ground level to the bottom.

Well, that's hopefully good news if they ever get around to updating the XBLA version with the new world height.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

Even in the tutorial the world size already looks pretty small. I took a quick walk through a village, then a short mine cart ride, and already I'm halfway towards the edge of the map. Even just saving out of the tutorial took a good 30 - 60 seconds though, and I barely moved a few blocks around. I guess they'd need to sort out a bunch of stuff under the hood before boosting world size.

Increasing the world size may not be possible due to limitations imposed on game save files by the Xbox 360 security model.

If I understand it correctly, you cannot randomly access partial fragments of a game save, you can only load the entire save into memory or save a chunk of memory to disk.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Laser Spider posted:

Maybe the Nether is 1:1 in the 360 version?

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
I'm gonna wait for the first two updates before buying Minecraft 360. I'd like to be sure that they will indeed update for free and update often.

The reviews coming out are promising though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Latest snapshot is out, going to try the 'large biomes' world type. This should be fun.

http://www.mojang.com/2012/05/minecraft-snapshot-12w19a/

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

quote:

• Added specific names for the different sandstone and smooth stone blocks

What the hell did I miss? There are different sandstone and smoothstone blocks now?

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Latest snapshot is out, going to try the 'large biomes' world type. This should be fun.

http://www.mojang.com/2012/05/minecraft-snapshot-12w19a/

When did the starter chests become an option? They're awesome!

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

D34THROW posted:

What the hell did I miss? There are different sandstone and smoothstone blocks now?

As of the last few patches there are three variations of the sandstone and the mossy/cracked/"circle/craved" stone bricks did not have their own name to differentiate themselves from stone brick.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Monster w21 Faces posted:

When did the starter chests become an option? They're awesome!

I think they were in the snapshot a couple weeks ago but I don't know if they ever made it into the game.

edit: Holy gently caress, "huge biomes" is not a misnomer at all. It took me from the start of day to nightfall to get out of the desert I spawned in.

NINbuntu 64 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 10, 2012

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
That's really cool, should be nice for really big worlds where the map looks kinda patchy with all the small biomes.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
The best part about the end of UHC is no more having to look at Aussie Dingbats horrible avatar. Hoorah!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I wouldn't mind if he popped back in with a playlist of ALL the videos, like that playlist for season 3(?). That made it much easier to watch.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Holy poo poo... hitting ESC doesn't pause your singleplayer game anymore :( I know that this is because they're trying to get this to be sort of like an 'always available for multiplayer' setup, but there should be some sort of way to pause it if you're the only one there.

EDIT: vvv That's what I meant. Still, wish there was an option.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 10, 2012

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Holy poo poo... hitting ESC doesn't pause your singleplayer game anymore :( I know that this is because they're trying to get this to be sort of like an 'always available for multiplayer' setup, but there should be some sort of way to pause it if you're the only one there.

Single player maps are now local servers.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

If anyone was curious about how large "large biomes" are...

I followed a river from spawn in creative. It took minutes of flying to see anything different. The start of the forest is roughly -1000, -2000 from spawn.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I tweeted Jeb asking for an option for medium biomes as well. Current "large" ones are massive. That's actually really cool, but I'd like an option for something in the middle.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Daedalus1134 posted:

I followed a river from spawn in creative. It took minutes of flying to see anything different. The start of the forest is roughly -1000, -2000 from spawn.

I think that size is great, it's weird when you can stand on a hill and see rainforest, ice fields and desert, each within a minute of walking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Daedalus1134 posted:

Jesus. How do you feasibly travel that distance in vanilla MC?