Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
So, the HSPA+ Samsung Galaxy S III goes on sale in Europe at the end of May, and later in the summer for USA's 4G LTE version. That's basically exactly the same as the Galaxy Nexus, where the Euro version is unlocked for T-Mo/AT&T and the US thing will probably be carrier locked Verizon/Sprint, correct? I'm thinking I'll finally bite the bullet and have the most expensive phone in the world on the most economical plan (T-Mo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

I'm thinking I'll finally bite the bullet and have the most expensive phone in the world on the most economical plan (T-Mo).
The catch in your brilliant plan is that T-Mobile's 3G/4G runs in the AWS frequencies, which most Euro phones don't support. When checking the specs of the phone you need UMTS 1700/2100 MHz support (both of them) otherwise you'll be stuck on 2G.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, I only knew the UK import Galaxy Nexus supported full T-Mo speeds... why would Samsung downgrade a radio from something they already had going? I'm not doubting you, it's just weird that these manufacturers don't jam as many freqs at they can onto their unlocked phones. I'd imagine it only costs pennies more to build it in. Like that Verizon phone in the thread that can magically work on AT&T.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

To support more frequencies both the radio chip and the antenna need to be designed to support it, it's not trivial; going as far as being "Pentaband" like the Galaxy Nexus is extremely rare. You can get coverage on AT&T in the USA and most of the rest of the world too without supporting the AWS bands so most manufacturers don't bother.

T-Mobile (and the Canadian carriers that use the AWS space) generally commission devices especially for themselves with AWS support, and this generally means giving up some other bands.

For example, take a look at the UMTS bands in this comparison between the Huawei Prism (T-Mobile only), HTC One S (T-Mobile world phone), and Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Pentaband).

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Rastor posted:

That's because their Android phones (the ones they sell themselves) are on Sprint.

My advice, check the prepaid coverage on AT&T and T-Mobile's websites. Then get a Straight Talk SIM for the one with better coverage (I assume AT&T).

Yep, at&t. Thank you for the info, I had a hard time understanding the whole android/nonandroid thing they have going on.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
My AT&T contract expires next month and I'm kicking around the idea of pre-paid. I have a T-Mobile SIM I use ($30/100/unlimited) every once in a while, but 100 minutes makes me afraid to actually use the voice feature.

I am looking at AT&T coverage on Straight Talk. I have an unlocked GSM GNEX, which is pentaband. Which option is best for AT&T coverage? Common sense tells me the "AT&T Compatible Phone" option, but what does the "Unlocked Phone" option get you? It looks like T-Mo, but it's unclear.

Also, the "unlimited data" is code for 2gigs, right?

Thanks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

850 and 1900 MHz means AT&T (as I said up-page T-Mobile uses 1700/2100 MHz).

I tried just now and both the "unlocked" option and the "AT&T compatible" option both lead to an "AT&T compatible SIM card" at checkout.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I was wondering how groove IP handles having your google voice pointing to both your phone and to groove ip? If someone calls you, does it ring both somehow? Or does it only ring groove ip if it's running? Thanks.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Fister posted:

I was wondering how groove IP handles having your google voice pointing to both your phone and to groove ip? If someone calls you, does it ring both somehow? Or does it only ring groove ip if it's running? Thanks.

It does not handle it well, and you should not be configuring it that way.

You should be telling Google Voice only to ring "Google Talk" (which GrooveIP uses to intercept the call) and other phones. If you have it ring the same phone as Groove, both your built-in phone app and Groove will trigger at once, and your OS/UI and other factors determine how they stack and which gets priority. It's a hot mess, and while it'd be nice on the T-Mobile 100 Minute Plan to be able to choose whether I want to use my minutes for a more solid experience, I don't see Groove adding as a feature any time soon.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Rastor posted:

To support more frequencies both the radio chip and the antenna need to be designed to support it, it's not trivial; going as far as being "Pentaband" like the Galaxy Nexus is extremely rare. You can get coverage on AT&T in the USA and most of the rest of the world too without supporting the AWS bands so most manufacturers don't bother.

T-Mobile (and the Canadian carriers that use the AWS space) generally commission devices especially for themselves with AWS support, and this generally means giving up some other bands.

For example, take a look at the UMTS bands in this comparison between the Huawei Prism (T-Mobile only), HTC One S (T-Mobile world phone), and Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Pentaband).
Which is the primary reason to use an ATT SIM vs a T-Mo SIM for something like straight talk.
Even if you only use 20 minutes a month. :/

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Basically if you want to go TMobile prepaid, you get a TMo brand phone. Galaxy Nexus has TMo support because google was planning to sell it unlocked online.

There is also the rare exception of ATT Galaxy Note, which can be flashed to run TMo 3G.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Some good T-Mobile news, they have officially announced their plans to launch 4G HSPA+ service in the 1900 MHz band "in a large number of markets" by the end of the year.

In other words lots more phones (including iPhones) will be able to get 4G on T-Mobile.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Rastor posted:

Some good T-Mobile news, they have officially announced their plans to launch 4G HSPA+ service in the 1900 MHz band "in a large number of markets" by the end of the year.

In other words lots more phones (including iPhones) will be able to get 4G on T-Mobile.
Still going to be large areas that are 1700Mhz only. A 1900Mhz only phone is still not going to be viable, far as I can tell.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

ilkhan posted:

Still going to be large areas that are 1700Mhz only. A 1900Mhz only phone is still not going to be viable, far as I can tell.
No way to know until they do the rollout, of course, but they did get a significant chunk of spectrum from AT&T. I'm staying positive for now.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

ShaneB, any update on this? I'm curious if this works at all.

I tried this using Skype for windows phone by walking away from a building in which I had Wifi and it just dropped the call. No idea if grooveIP or Skype for android support handoff between wifi and 3g.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Edit 2 version:
Today Sprint made official the new (WiMax) 4G phones for Virgin Mobile USA and Boost Mobile.

Virgin Mobile will get the HTC EVO 3D, renamed the HTC EVO V 4G.

Boost Mobile will get the HTC EVO Design 4G, now live on their website.

Both phones will come out on 5/31, will run Android 4.0 (with HTC Sense 3.6), and get WiMax 4G data. Even with 4G the plans/prices will remain the same.

Rastor fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 8, 2012

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Rastor posted:

Today Sprint made it official that Virgin Mobile USA (edit: and Boost Mobile) will get the HTC EVO V 4G. It seems to be a tweaked Evo 3D (no 3D screen)? It will run Android 4.0 and HTC Sense 3.6, and get WiMax 4G data. Even with 4G the plans/prices will remain the same.

But it would mean i'd have to give up my grandfathered $25 plan, right?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I was hoping for no HTC Sense, but I'm still pretty sure I'm gonna jump on that. I'm preparing the divorce papers for my Intercept as we speak.

The $10 plan price increase, for me, is the "not having an Intercept" tax.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

I will believe VM can have a phone that does not suck rear end when I see it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Hmm is that what sense 3.6 looks like?

I'll update the OP when I get a chance and once the dust has settled on the specs and details, I think some stuff is still question marks.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Bleh, i think i'm going to jump to t-mobile's $30 plan and galaxy nexus.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Mister Fister posted:

Not a bad choice at all. I've been on it for over a month now and really like it. 3G and Edge both are slow, but HSPA is quick enough to stream music and youtube videos just fine.

Really wouldn't mind a Galaxy Nexus but the Sensation is turning out to be a fantastic web device.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

If you can allocate the $400 the Galaxy Nexus is the best choice. But anything with Android 4.0 is at least decent in my book.

Here's more specs and hands-ons of the new phones on Sprint's prepaid brands:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...g-respectively/

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/8/3007242/htc-evo-v-4g-virgin-evo-design-4g-boost-photos-video

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006
Thinking about switching to Straight Talk as soon as my AT&T iPhone 4 is out of contract next month.

How does Straight Talk handle those ridiculous 5-digit SMS numbers that sign you up for a $10 monthly service of daily jokes or whatever? I once got signed up for one I never initiated somehow.

Ideally they'd just not work at all, but if they are easily blocked (like they are on AT&T) that'd work too. Just want to make sure I'm covering all my bases.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
I wish t-mobile would have a $40 plan and give me some more minutes because 100 minutes is :wtc:

e; Well it looks like straight-talk is what I will move to after VM.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
but will the HTC EVO V 4G still have a 3d screen?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Looks like VM members got what they deserved. The Evo V looks awesome! 1.2ghz Dual-core, 1gb ram, and 12gb storage (4gb internal, 8gb microsd), 4.3-inch qHD display, and dual 5mp rear cameras & 1.3mp front facing camera.

This is what they've needed for a year now. http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/08/evo-v-4g-hands-on/

spengler posted:

but will the HTC EVO V 4G still have a 3d screen?

Nope, although it looks like it might be able to take pictures in 3D? Not sure why that's on there with a 2D display.

VVVVVVVV $299 off-contract

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 8, 2012

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

I wish t-mobile would have a $40 plan and give me some more minutes because 100 minutes is :wtc:

e; Well it looks like straight-talk is what I will move to after VM.
Did you see that vm is offering 4G @35/month, this will probably get you 300 min
Wonder what the htc phone will cost

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The HTC EVO V 4G and HTC EVO Design 4G will both be sold for $299.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Mister Fister posted:

Actually now that I look into it, I might be heading this way too. I don't mind splurging a bit on a phone if it'll last me a long time and the plan price is reasonable. I don't think I ever even come close to 100 minutes on my VM plan (let alone 300) so this might be a good time to jump ship.

(I think I spent $300 on the Intercept :cry:)

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

With T moblie you can add extra minutes at 10 cents a minute so if you`re using less than 6 hours of talk time a month you can still come out ahead of the straight talk $45 plan. The straight talk is still a pretty good deal but they are schizo about their data limits. Some users get 3+ gigs of data a month while others claim they have had their phone terminated for going over hidden single day limits for two or three days in a row.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

angry_keebler posted:

With T moblie you can add extra minutes at 10 cents a minute so if you`re using less than 6 hours of talk time a month you can still come out ahead of the straight talk $45 plan. The straight talk is still a pretty good deal but they are schizo about their data limits. Some users get 3+ gigs of data a month while others claim they have had their phone terminated for going over hidden single day limits for two or three days in a row.

You don't even have to add minutes. Once you use your 100, additional minutes just take $0.10/min off your balance assuming you have money in the account. So if you use 250 minutes a month you'll end up paying $30 + .10*150 = $45/mo. (That's about 4 hours)

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
That's pretty neat. Right now I use an ancient t-mobile flip phone with ~8 cent a minute minutes and the $30 100/unlimited but when I finally can`t find replacement batteries for the flip I'll get a new smartphone and stay on the $30 plan.

Also I can't divide 240 by 60 :(

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I wish I could use the T-Mo plan, but they only have 2G roaming here.

I think I'll wait until my Sprint contract is up in July before I get the GNex with a StraightTalk plan. No reason to pay a $100 ETF fee.

Though it's annoying that the Sprint GNex can now be had for $150, AND it comes with a $50 Google Wallet credit...so that's essentially $100 for the phone...gah, I know it's not a "deal" because I will save ~$40 a month, so a non-subsidized phone will pay for itself in 8 months, and after that I'm saving money...but it's hard to think long term.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

angry_keebler posted:

Yea, the militant nature of how Straight Talk handles data (so I've learned) is enough to scare me away. Shame as it seemed like a good deal. They should just draw a line in the sand and say "Unlimited = 2gigs. Exceed that and you're gone son"

Seems they prefer being vague and that's enough to turn me off in an instant.

T-Mobile's $30 really is the best deal period...I just wish it was $35 for 300 minutes or something like that. 100 makes me want to hangup instantly when someone calls for fear of burning through them. I suppose 10 cents per minute is reasonable, but it still gives me pause for some reason.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

SeaborneClink posted:

This is blatantly untrue, and simply FUD.

You need the phone number you want to port, and any pin or pass code on the account, could be alpha-numeric, or could be just numbers. You should know it, because you created one when you initially set up your account. You will also need your account number. Postpaid account numbers are normally 9 digits, prepaid is usually your phone number.

Your current provider, as of 2010 has one business day to respond to the request and release the number, except in rare circumstances, which you would know about because if those situations applied to you.

If you'd like to read before making nonsense up.

Hey rear end in a top hat, learn your poo poo before you try to throw down.

There are a lot of limitations on what companies let you do which poo poo with your number, regardless of how many FCC rules pages you throw down. For example, if you are on Verizon prepaid and you want to switch to Verizon postpaid, you have to use your number on a prepaid phone for six months before they'll let you. My job is selling cell phones, and a large part of my day to day is dealing with old people's prepaid cell phones, and it is not as simple as you'd like people to believe in your little call out post. Wireless companies suck, and going, "WELL LOOK AT THIS FCC PAGE." doesn't change the reality of the situation.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

Rastor posted:

The HTC EVO V 4G and HTC EVO Design 4G will both be sold for $299.

No deal.

Looks like I'm going Galaxy Nexus and Straight talk... only things I don't like about it at the moment is the lack of microsd and the screen is ridiculous gigantic.

The fact that I get dropped calls and horrible reception with VM inside my house pretty much makes the choice obvious for me.

~

Dumb question: Does the unlocked Nexus work with T-mobile or AT&T on Straighttalk?

mixitwithblop fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 9, 2012

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

mixitwithblop posted:

Dumb question: Does the unlocked Nexus work with T-mobile or AT&T on Straighttalk?
The unlocked Galaxy Nexus works with both of them, actually!

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Crow_Robot posted:

Hey rear end in a top hat, learn your poo poo before you try to throw down.

There are a lot of limitations on what companies let you do which poo poo with your number, regardless of how many FCC rules pages you throw down. For example, if you are on Verizon prepaid and you want to switch to Verizon postpaid, you have to use your number on a prepaid phone for six months before they'll let you. My job is selling cell phones, and a large part of my day to day is dealing with old people's prepaid cell phones, and it is not as simple as you'd like people to believe in your little call out post. Wireless companies suck, and going, "WELL LOOK AT THIS FCC PAGE." doesn't change the reality of the situation.

That is a Verizon policy, same idea as not being able to use a prepaid VZW phone on a postpaid account until 6 months has elapsed.) Welcome to the club, I work in wireless sales too. You should also know that intra-company fuckery, such as you posted in your example (VZW prepaid to VZW postpaid or vice versa) is not porting. You are perfectly able to port your number from Verizon prepaid to another provider and then port from prepaid to postpaid if you find yourself in a situation such as you just described. For the record T-Mo and AT&T are much more accommodating about this, Verizon's prepaid policies and service sucks. But other than that, it is pretty much as easy as having the proper information from the old account. :shobon:

At least we can agree that phones and phone companies suck. :toot:

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well, every company has different porting policy.

For example, google only loving accept ports from 4 major carriers.

I find the easiest way to find answer is just search on howardforums, or call up.

Fun fact about phone account and the 4 digit pin, the Page Plus pin is just the last 4 digit of the phone number. I don't think there is anyway to change it either. You can port anyone's phone number if you know he is on Page Plus.

• Locked thread