Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MayLanh
Apr 16, 2012

by angerbot
Viole doesn't actually have to defeat the ranker, he just has to get his connector.
If Viole can evade Love's attacks, and using some sort of trickery steals the connector and barely makes it out of the room, then it's his win. Even if he doesn't leave a scratch on Love and ends up being completely bloody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
v2 ch13 is out.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Children listening INDEED.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Man, I can't help but like that guy now.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Well that is :black101: as all hell, talk about merciless.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The author's notes at the end are pretty interesting as well. He says he doesn't want this manwha to become "Viole and company" which is good to hear. The world he's building is interesting enough to not just focus on a single character and his companions.

Spellcheck
Oct 23, 2008

by angerbot
Im guessing double fake out conserning the fate of devil arm man.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Mad Fnorder posted:

Children listening INDEED.
:ssh:
Really good chapter.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

this chapter 10.2/10

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
A lot of the time when something focuses on a side character, they completely fail to make the side character likable or interesting. In ToG, I actually find myself liking the side characters quite a lot. When part 2 started, I was a little annoyed at losing all my old favourites, but then the guy goes and writes a whole bunch of new guys that I've now grown to like.

This chapter didn't even feature Baam, and it was still a drat good chapter. I don't even mind if Baam is ignored completely until the end of the test.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

If you're getting a 404 error from the link posted, here's an alternate link.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Slime posted:

A lot of the time when something focuses on a side character, they completely fail to make the side character likable or interesting. In ToG, I actually find myself liking the side characters quite a lot. When part 2 started, I was a little annoyed at losing all my old favourites, but then the guy goes and writes a whole bunch of new guys that I've now grown to like.

This chapter didn't even feature Baam, and it was still a drat good chapter. I don't even mind if Baam is ignored completely until the end of the test.

The mark of a great author is to be able to make any character interesting. For example oda in one piece with those one page side stories. I especially liked enel goes to the loving moon and dicks around.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
I generally agree but still miss Koon. I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone because it was a lot of work to write all his scheming. He'll show up again eventually (please)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Just finished catching up with this series. It's amazing how obnoxious the translators manage to be despite doing a good job with the actual translation. At the very least they should make a cover page that doesn't feature a random half-naked woman!

One interesting thing about this series how little emphasis there is on the actual fights; there's a lot of Hunter x Hunter-style puzzles in this comic, but the fights themselves tend to be very straightforward.

The characters are pretty interesting. A lot of them are clearly based on common shonen manga archetypes, but they go in directions very different from their counterparts in other series; the main character starts as Gon Freecs but turns into Sasuke Uchiha, and the author manages to make it believable! I actually disagree with the comparison to Oda; Oda creates a lot of minor characters with really gimmicky personalities based around catchphrases or whatever. SIU gives some characters comedic traits, but the core of his characterization is dramatic.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
gently caress whoever calls himself 'Crazy' on that team. gently caress him forever.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

HenryEx posted:

gently caress whoever calls himself 'Crazy' on that team. gently caress him forever.

HEY YOU GUYS ANDROSSI IS TOTALLY HOT!

HEY YOU GUYS MY FRIENDS SAY THE CRAZIEST THINGS ON IRC!

:rolleyes:

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"
I just blew through the entirety of this in a few days, and I completely agree with the translator asides. The annoying thing is that some of their notes are pretty important to understanding a bit of Korean culture/honorifics. The other half of them are, "lol she said her chest was bigger."

The translation quality has definitely improved. Those first chapters are pretty rough to read.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
New chapter's up.

Looks like things have started moving more quickly. I wonder who killed Rapdevil?

The author seems stressed! Maybe he should take a bit of a break.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Ahhhhh those last two panels! That's one hell of a cliffhanger.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HenryEx posted:

I have the same sentiments. I can't remember what it was he said though that basically made me hate his soul.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kneel Before Zog posted:

I have the same sentiments. I can't remember what it was he said though that basically made me hate his soul.

Maybe when he said he'd totally want Androssi as a slave?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

Maybe when he said he'd totally want Androssi as a slave?

Be nice. That comment was the closest he will ever have to a relationship.

MayLanh
Apr 16, 2012

by angerbot
I definitely think Viole was not the one who killed Rapdevil because right before that was shown it was said that no one on that floor could oppose the lurker group and Rapdevil dieing is suppose to destroy the validity of that statement. It was also shown that Viole went straight to Love and didn't stick around on the floor that he shared with prince, Yeon, Rapdevil and and that group so he couldn't have been the one to kill Rapdevil.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

MayLanh posted:

New chapter spoilers.

Hey, when a new chapter comes out, you have to use spoiler tags when you're talking about it. There's a rule about it you should probably check out. I've seen you do it for other mangas too and you posted a really big one in the One Piece thread.

Anyway, in regards to the chapter, I'm surprised that the battle between Viole and the ranker is already happening. I don't remember the author moving the plot this quickly, but I'm sure someone will get in the way of the fight.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
I'm afraid that he's rushing it because of the frustration with writing he's been feeling lately. Hope he gets out of whatever funk he's in.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Honestly I'm a fan of this pacing. The second floor seemed to drag on forever.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
That purple button up that Viole's got is pretty slick. The combat, the setting and the characters are all interesting, but the fashion is suave to top it all off.

Sled
May 20, 2004

Musashi not only wields a sword but also a pair of pistols.
Nope, no new chapter yet, just chimin' on this. Viole versus Ranker should be awesome as hell, and I hope the plot doesn't avoid it after teasing us about it. This part of the arc has been drawn out way longer than it should have so far, really.

But, as I mentioned, this has been way drawn out. I know, the first arc had some pretty drawn out stuff itself. However, it had a pretty significant main character, which helped out, which helped make it feel like something was at stake. I don't feel the semi-ensemblish cast this part of current arc's been aiming for has helped out too much for excitement, at least for me.

In any case, the latest development came at a rather convenient time, so I'm more than ready for it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It doesn't help that I still don't understand this game at all.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

No Wave posted:

It doesn't help that I still don't understand this game at all.

In order to win you need to have a team of 7 people and 6 rooms. There are two ways to lose. The first is Viole taking his connector from the ranker, plugging it into Yihwa's remote, and stealing her room. The second is if the number of regulars capable of playing the game drops below 7.

To make a teammate, you just plug your connector into someone else's remote and press the blue button. Press the red button and you'll steal their room. I'm guessing if you make both roommates in a room your teammates, the room would become yours as well, otherwise I have no idea how you'd win without backstabbing the poo poo out of half the people you come across. Err I guess you'll have to backstab a bunch of people anyway, but if both people in a room are your friends hopefully the game would allow you to bring both of them and their room to your team with just the blue buttons.

bofa salesman fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 15, 2012

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
Volume 2, ch15 is here, and it kicks rear end.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Oh boy, looks like we've got some interesting characters here. Also an interesting change in a previous character, as well as showing off the Ranker's skills.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

So good.

So happy to see Viole just stop caring about the connector and going straight for the ranker. Feels like the penultimate test on the second floor all over again. I love it.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
In a system dominated by being 3 steps ahead of your opponent, it's surprising that the ranker wouldn't see that coming. I can't believe that anyone who made it to floor 20 would try something that didn't work a second time. The first attempt was probably just a lure.

I can't help but think the specific regular he'd help pass is Wagnan. The assassination option could be the second best regular, to flaunt the test, or maybe just the little girl, to prove he's stone cold. Better yet, maybe the target is actually a specific ranker.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

cooldude2.0 posted:

In a system dominated by being 3 steps ahead of your opponent, it's surprising that the ranker wouldn't see that coming. I can't believe that anyone who made it to floor 20 would try something that didn't work a second time. The first attempt was probably just a lure.

I can't help but think the specific regular he'd help pass is Wagnan. The assassination option could be the second best regular, to flaunt the test, or maybe just the little girl, to prove he's stone cold. Better yet, maybe the target is actually a specific ranker.

Based on the rumor the tester heard I'm beginning to wonder if Viole isn't part of FUG. I think the author would've showed Viole killing the regular if he had been the one to do it. It seems more likely to me that Viole is a lone wolf or part of a separate group, and that he just happened to wind up in a group with a FUG member. Everyone takes him for a member of FUG even though he isn't.

e: Except I just realized earlier he admitted to being in FUG. :doh:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 17, 2012

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mo_Steel posted:

Based on the rumor the tester heard I'm beginning to wonder if Viole isn't part of FUG. I think the author would've showed Viole killing the regular if he had been the one to do it. It seems more likely to me that Viole is a lone wolf or part of a separate group, and that he just happened to wind up in a group with a FUG member. Everyone takes him for a member of FUG even though he isn't.

He said flat out that he was a member of FUG. He is wearing a FUG outfit. Normally only rankers can become members, but Viole is an irregular so normal rules don't apply to him. He had a choice between killing a specific person, passing a specific person, or passing alone. He chose to pass alone. They didn't show Viole killing the regular because it never happened.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

The artwork this chapter is amazing.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
In the author's notes at the bottom of the latest chapter he says that there are enough clues in the previous chapters to reveal who killed Rapdevil, so if anyone feels like playing the speculation game with me:

Assuming it's not Lurker and his suspicious smile at the end of v2ch15 (though he could still be involved somehow), I think it's Goseng(the girl with the big glasses). She starts out on 2F, but by the time she gets to Wangnan on 1F she's panting tired, saying how it's taking so long. When her and Wangnan go from 1F to 2F though, she's perfectly fine again. (Rapdevil was on 5F, Baam on 6F and Teddy on 3F)Young Master went from 5F to 6F to fight Baam, so the 2 wouldn't have crossed paths.
There are a few other things, like how she was the first to recognize the FUG symbol and how she wasn't nervous at all around Baam, like while the guys were pounding on the door to get in when he was coming down the hall.
Lastly, if the chapters can taken to be in order with the unfolding events, Umbrella Guy makes it from 3F to 2F, has a long conversation with the kid and a fight with Yogurt lady before Goseng is shown making it to 1F, along with the door to Rapdevil's room opening before she makes it to 1F.
:iiam:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Hietala posted:

In the author's notes at the bottom of the latest chapter he says that there are enough clues in the previous chapters to reveal who killed Rapdevil, so if anyone feels like playing the speculation game with me:

Assuming it's not Lurker and his suspicious smile at the end of v2ch15 (though he could still be involved somehow), I think it's Goseng(the girl with the big glasses). She starts out on 2F, but by the time she gets to Wangnan on 1F she's panting tired, saying how it's taking so long. When her and Wangnan go from 1F to 2F though, she's perfectly fine again. (Rapdevil was on 5F, Baam on 6F and Teddy on 3F)Young Master went from 5F to 6F to fight Baam, so the 2 wouldn't have crossed paths.
There are a few other things, like how she was the first to recognize the FUG symbol and how she wasn't nervous at all around Baam, like while the guys were pounding on the door to get in when he was coming down the hall.
Lastly, if the chapters can taken to be in order with the unfolding events, Umbrella Guy makes it from 3F to 2F, has a long conversation with the kid and a fight with Yogurt lady before Goseng is shown making it to 1F, along with the door to Rapdevil's room opening before she makes it to 1F.
:iiam:

Good observation. I'm looking at http://towerofgod.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Characters#Regulars and I don't really see any alternatives:

Lurker would be too obvious, Miseng seems too genuinely innocent, Ja Wangnan's actions are pretty much accounted for, Yeon seems too genuinely surprised by everything going on, and I'm pretty sure Prince was with Lurker the whole time. Horyang is terrible at keeping secrets, I'm pretty sure Akraptor's actions are too well accounted for, and Nia doesn't have enough character focus for it to be an interesting twist.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Volume 2, Chapter 16 is out.

Great fight scene between Viole and the Ranker, I very much doubt this is all Viole is capable of though. I do like that until now he has been relying on the trick he learned so far back to bring down enemies. Why waste time being flashy if you can freeze someone and defeat them that way? Assumedly he has more up his sleeve than that.